• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
it's needlessly xenophobic and coming from the guy accusing others of politicizing the virus

There's nothing xenophobic about calling out the point of origin. It's not going to make people racist against Chinese people or those of Chinese origin.

Irish kit? Stop your needless politicizing of scientific testing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest 24-hour data from Korea (3.16 00:00 ~ 3.17 00:00):

12,212 tested
84 confirmed cases (8,320 total cases)
264 released from medical quarantine (6,838 people currently under quarantine)
6 deaths (81 total deaths)

There was a report over the weekend that some idiot church decided to hold their Sunday services, and used a nozzle spraying saltwater as a combatant to the virus. About 40 people who attended the service have been confirmed as positive for the virus. A fucking cult and now a church--just when it looked like things were slowly getting back under control. Sigh.

Source: http://ncov.mohw.go.kr/tcmBoardView...Seq=353584&contSeq=353584&board_id=&gubun=ALL (Korean, obviously)

Last edited:

oatmeal

Banned
There's nothing xenophobic about calling out the point of origin. It's not going to make people racist against Chinese people or those of Chinese origin.
They already have an America named one with SWINE FLU, so it’s only fair China gets one.

Shitting and not having TP fuckin sucks.

I get that (although I use a bidet), but that doesn't explain why you want ALL the TP. The amount of shitting doesn't change regardless of COVID-19; hell, it'd probably depend more on whether you had Chipotle for dinner last night. *shrug*

Sakura

I just don't think they could get away with it, especially with the heightened awarness about Corona going on now. Even Iran isn't that ballsy to lie about it that much. You would say Abe is Kim Jong levels. Lieing to that degree would destroy Abe even if the Olynpics brought 10 trillion dollars to Japan.

And like I said Japan is probably older than Italy. There are tons of old people in Japan. They would be at Italy levels with their hospitals and those on ICU. There is no way that is all being covered up by Abe.

Sure they could have many infected, but whatever they are doing they are keeping these people alive and somehow their elderly population isn't causing 100's of dead a day and flooding their ICU's.
I mean look, there are prefectures that are literally only able to do 1 or 2 tests a day.
You get new cases of people who have had symptoms for 2 weeks.
If it truly isn't spreading in Japan, then I think it is because Japan is very lucky, not because of the hard work of the government.

Porcile

Japan's numbers are weird but if you look across Asia most countries are handling it well so far. Even Hong Kong of all places seems to be keeping numbers low. It could get worse but it just seems like Europe collectively shit the bed.

I have a general question. Say someone has symptoms, but doesn't have a primary physician locally. Has there been any clarification on that for New Yorkers? My county keeps reiterating reaching out to one's healthcare provider, but I keep thinking, well what if someone doesn't have a PCP?

rykomatsu

Covid19 is airborne. Coughing spreads it you clown.

Droplet transmission = you need to get in contact with someone's bodily fluids

Airborne transmission = even after the droplet evaporates mid flight, you can still be infected.

It's a subtle but important difference. Droplet transmission is generally limited to 3-4 ft due to the limited distance a droplet can travel due to it's size or rate of fluid evaporation (or both) if I'm not mistaken. Airborne means the virus, outside of any fluid envelope can stay suspended in the air and remain viable.

rykomatsu

I get that (although I use a bidet), but that doesn't explain why you want ALL the TP. The amount of shitting doesn't change regardless of COVID-19; hell, it'd probably depend more on whether you had Chipotle for dinner last night. *shrug*

Even if I buy 5 cases of toilet paper, it will never go bad and I will use it, so I either buy it over time or I just buy it now.

Since I have no idea how long other panic buyers will inconvenience me, I will just buy a bunch...is the general thought process I think

Even if I buy 5 cases of toilet paper, it will never go bad and I will use it, so I either buy it over time or I just buy it now.

Since I have no idea how long other panic buyers will inconvenience me, I will just buy a bunch...is the general thought process I think

Eh OK, I can understand the train of logic, even if I feel it's a bit flimsy.

cryptoadam

Banned
I mean look, there are prefectures that are literally only able to do 1 or 2 tests a day.
You get new cases of people who have had symptoms for 2 weeks.
If it truly isn't spreading in Japan, then I think it is because Japan is very lucky, not because of the hard work of the government.

I can agree on that. From my understanding the Japanese are very hygenic people correct? Also isn't close contact not really a thing over there? Its probably more due to the Japanese people. I mean its the land of Otaku self distancing was practically invented by them :)

I just don't think Japan is engaged in some giant cover up to save the olympics. We are past that at this point.

Whats important is deaths and hosplitlizaton and from all acounts Japan has that under control. If their case numbers put them in the top 3 all it would probably do is create more needless fear than required.

cryptoadam

Banned
Japan's numbers are weird but if you look across Asia most countries are handling it well so far. Even Hong Kong of all places seems to be keeping numbers low. It could get worse but it just seems like Europe collectively shit the bed.

And Taiwan, even though the WHO told them to fuck off.

I am actually surprised the CCP didn't all of a sudden say Taiwan IS CHINA so they could claim they only have 67 cases LOL.

I can agree on that. From my understanding the Japanese are very hygenic people correct? Also isn't close contact not really a thing over there? Its probably more due to the Japanese people. I mean its the land of Otaku self distancing was practically invented by them :)

I just don't think Japan is engaged in some giant cover up to save the olympics. We are past that at this point.

Whats important is deaths and hosplitlizaton and from all acounts Japan has that under control. If their case numbers put them in the top 3 all it would probably do is create more needless fear than required.

For the sake of humanity I hope you're right, although I'm a bit more skeptical than you are :)

Hahaha did you just unironically link infowars.com?

Porcile

When it comes to personal hygiene like covering your mouth when you sneeze and cough, washing hands regularly then Japanese people are absolutely awful at it. Japan gets crazy amount of flu every year. While working at a school we had flu outbreaks every single year I worked there.

sinnergy

Now that we are choosing the path of immunization as Dutch The Netherlands, I am probably not seeing my parents anymore for what looks like at least a year. Their both chronic ill.

What’s worse , my boy of 3 won’t see them, I have trouble sleeping at the moment .

I crunched some numbers , in 10 months we could have infected The Netherlands for herd immunity.

Last edited:

lyan

Virtually everyone wears a mask in Hong Kong, while some would argue it won't protect you there is no doubt it helps prevent spreading when one is infected.

JordanN

Banned
Trudeau posts a picture of his office.

Since he's in isolation, we can only assume he's beating off when he's not livestreaming.

KAL5Scz.jpg

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

pShuttle is not even in the top 100 results when you do a BLAST

Closest to 2019-ncov are bat coronaviruses.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30251-8/fulltext

Situation is fucked already, we don't need more misinformation by people trolling for attention like infowars et al.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Now that we are choosing the path of immunization as Dutch The Netherlands, I am probably not seeing my parents anymore for what looks like at least a year. Their both chronic ill.

What’s worse , my boy of 3 won’t see them, I have trouble sleeping at the moment .

I crunched some numbers , in 10 months we could have infected The Netherlands for herd immunity.
Yeah, no lock down for us. But protection of the weak and management of the ill to not overload healthcare.

But I think we will see a lock down in about 3 weeks, 4 max .

Last edited:

dolabla

“Chinese Virus”

They shouldn't have tried to blame this on the US.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo called on China’s Communist Party to halt disinformation spread by propaganda outlets claiming the novel coronavirus was first spread in China by the U.S. Army.

Mr. Pompeo made the comments in a phone call Monday to Yang Jiechi, director of the Office of Foreign Affairs of the Communist Party of China.

The secretary “conveyed strong U.S. objections to PRC efforts to shift blame for COVID-19 to the United States,” according to a statement issued by the State Department. “The secretary stressed that this is not the time to spread disinformation and outlandish rumors, but rather a time for all nations to come together to fight this common threat.”

Mr. Yang, according to state-run Chinese television, told Mr. Pompeo that any attempt to smear China for its efforts to counter the coronavirus “will not succeed,” Reuters reported. The Chinese senior diplomat also threatened unspecified retaliation about what he said were efforts by U.S. politicians to denigrate China’s efforts to fight the virus.

The exchange is the latest in Washington and Beijing’s growing war of words about the virus.

I have a feeling shit may hit the fan with China once all this is over.

Also

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned
pShuttle is not even in the top 100 results when you do a BLAST

Closest to 2019-ncov are bat coronaviruses.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30251-8/fulltext

Situation is fucked already, we don't need more misinformation by people trolling for attention like infowars et al.
Did you even read any of the articles?
I also think you need to Google who Dr Francis Boyle is because you are making your self look retarded by saying infowars is trolling. You are the troll brainwashed by the fake news.

Last edited:
Some macroeconomics considerations and their effects;

Back in December 2019, Goldman Sachs say the US economy is recession-proof, well the Dow just dropped another 3,000 points today.

1) Largest one-day point-drop ever in the history of Dow
2) As a percentage drop, today was worse than any day during the 2008 financial crisis or even the 1929 crash that led to the Great Depression!
3) In the last month, this is how much the indices have fallen:
Dow: -32%
S&P 500: -30%
NASDAQ: -30%

Meanwhile in china, environmental controls and operating hour restrictions have been lifted so factories can make up for lost production. Air Pollution is rapidly increasing as a result and could hit pre 2008 (Beijing Olympics) levels.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Out of curiosity, what is the rationale for hoarding TP? Hand sanitizer I understand, but COVID-19 doesn't give you the drizzling shits. In Korea, it was masks.

Why is everyone hoarding TP? Enlighten a non-American.

Social contagion. Once the first silly story about TP hit, it was inevitable. The next person goes 'idiots are buying up TP, I better get some before they buy it all up'. Then shelves begin to empty, and it becomes self-fulfilling.

Store near me was out of TP, canned food were ravaged but still plentiful. Ramen was wiped out. Rice wiped out. Oatmeal ravaged. Marshmallows nearly wiped out [wtf?] - to which i contributed by buying 2 bags because having some cookouts will be good morale for the kiddos. Also a big dent in sauces. Oh, and fresh meat was pretty low, though vacu-sealed meat was still fairly prevalent.

I ended up getting a bunch of stuff even though i am pretty stocked up over the past few months. My wife is upset because she hates being wrong.

Last edited:
also needlessly xenophobic and politicizing matters of infectious disease: disgusting.

Like when Twitter tried to call it the Trump Virus? Or when Pooh Bear tried to blame it on US soldiers?

Maybe if they would get with the 21st century and stop buying bats from filthy wet markets, boiling them alive, and eating their guts we all would not be worrying about our elderly friends and family dying and our economy being uprooted.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Did you even read any of the articles?
I also think you need to Google who Dr Francis Boyle is because you are making your self look retarded by saying infowars is trolling. You are the troll brainwashed by the fake news.

I linked a page that has screenshots of the BLAST results. pShuttle is not even in the top 100. Spreading misinformation and paranoia is extremely dangerous in times like this. The closest homologue in the database is a bat coronavirus.

Being conservative and being misinformed are different things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom