• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptoadam

Banned
And if you want the Korean perspective, we believe Japan is not testing worth a damn for its data to be representative of the situation. While I have no idea whether this is true or not, a prevailing belief amongst Koreans is that the Abe government is restricting the amount of tests being conducted in order to prevent a postponement/cancellation of the 2020 Olympics--any delay or cancellation would probably see Abe out of the PM seat next election; too much money at stake.

I repeat, I have no idea whether that theory is true or not.

I highly doubt they could be lieing about their deaths, or at least to a large degree. That would sink them faster then losing the olympics.

As far as what people say it sounds like they aren't doing a lot of testing, but considering the age of the Japanese population if this thing was out of control they would be Italy times 10. No way they would be sitting at 27 deaths. Like sure they could fudge the numbers and they have 30 deaths or 40 deaths. But they don't have 400 or 1000 deaths and are lying about it.

Look they could have a million infections, if it isn't crashing their health care system and they only have 27 deaths that would actually be good news not bad news.

0EFZGIz.jpg

And with this, my workday is done. I'll be checking in here and there but Smiles and Cries Smiles and Cries and everyone else can do the updates until tomorrow morning.

Stay safe and don't coof!

Personally I just write it out as COVID-19 wherever, where it came from is ATM a secondary concern as opposed to trying to stem the flow and help the infected. I'm sure we can agree about that.

also needlessly xenophobic and politicizing matters of infectious disease: disgusting.

Everyone knows it came from China. What you are doing is being needlessly xenophobic.

Uh no, what the Chinese tried to do by misrepresenting where it originated from (and trying to politicize the situation in that regard) is wrong. If pointing that out makes me xenophobic, I don't give a flying fuck.

paparazzo

also needlessly xenophobic and politicizing matters of infectious disease: disgusting.

Everyone knows it came from China. What you are doing is being needlessly xenophobic.
With blue check marks pushing garbage like this, I can see why he'd go to those lengths.

Last edited:
My company is handling this like a bunch of dipshits. Lots of people criticizing the US for acting so slow, but fuck mine is purposefully trying to get everyone infected. We even have a confirmed case now on site (sent home/quarantine), and they don't give a fuck.

I wish I could say more, but I will say this, don't be surprised to see a community outbreak at a major US Healthcare corporation in short order.

Should be good for their stocks after this week...

Jaxx_377

Neo Member

Andre Schurrle decided to stop being a footballer and become a med researcher, I see.

On a serious note, if these things work, that's great news--although "requires just one drop of blood" is giving me Theranos flashbacks.

So with the everywhere pretty much shutting down for 30 days or more the Corona virus just killed the global economy.

That was the concern from my dad who owns a small printing company. He was very concerned that because people can't do everyday activities (and some jobs like manufacturing cannot be done via telecommuting) economic activity would stop and people would end up dead or suffering--not because they are ill, but because they're starving and can't get their paycheck.

Thankfully we haven't had a case break out where the company is located, and the head office manager is being an absolute bulldog about it.

Sakura

To put that into perspective, last week in Korea, there were about 12,000 tests done daily, 6,000 tests done on Sat. and Sun.
This is the last 4 days:
1855 tests 55 positive
859 tests 40 positive
107 tests 63 positive
43 tests 33 positive

Interested to see today's numbers later.

I highly doubt they could be lieing about their deaths, or at least to a large degree. That would sink them faster then losing the olympics.

As far as what people say it sounds like they aren't doing a lot of testing, but considering the age of the Japanese population if this thing was out of control they would be Italy times 10. No way they would be sitting at 27 deaths. Like sure they could fudge the numbers and they have 30 deaths or 40 deaths. But they don't have 400 or 1000 deaths and are lying about it.

Look they could have a million infections, if it isn't crashing their health care system and they only have 27 deaths that would actually be good news not bad news.

You don't have to lie about deaths or fudge numbers. You simply don't test. If thousands die every year from flu, then you could have 100 people dead from coronavirus but just marked as pneumonia.
Now, obviously this can't go on forever, because if it is spreading in Japan, those numbers will increase significantly, so I think we will have a better idea within the next week or two.

Last edited:

Not sure if this was posted - a reminder that even for people in their 40s-50s with minor pre-existing issues, this thing isn't a necessarily a death sentence or cause for being put in the ICU.

This guy lives down the road from me. My buddy hangs out with him as they have a shared interest in Audio equipment. He is doing well. The news made a point to say he was going to the gym with it but failed to note he had a home gym.

This is the last 4 days:
1855 tests 55 positive
859 tests 40 positive
107 tests 63 positive
43 tests 33 positive

Interested to see today's numbers later.

Those numbers are......interesting. The number of tests has gone down exponentially, but the number of positive cases remains similar--not a good sign I would think.

autoduelist

it's needlessly xenophobic and coming from the guy accusing others of politicizing the virus

I wish you could see how ridiculous it sounds when you use media buzzwords like 'xenophobic' seriously in an ideological manner so that we could all share a laugh, together, and bond over it. Instead, your lack of sense of humor on the subject others us all, separating us into groups, and your accusatory, condescending language puts us on the defensive. So then we all end up resenting this otherness due to outgroup 'xenophobia'. So lets all be xenobros. C'mon, say kung flu. Just say it once. Let it touch your lips and when you don't turn to salt, we can get past this together and we can try some others, like 'winnie the flu', or the 'wuhanic plague', or 'chop fluey'. Let the humor flow through you, reconnecting those synapses closed off by intersectional outrage nonsense.

Liljagare

Nice news for me personally, Sweden apparently manufactures ventilators, and just delivered some to Italy, 500 units are being shipped. Did not know we manufacture them.. :p

But, we have a massive shortage of ECMO's, none available in large parts of the nation, in Sweden. Stockholm, with it's 1 million inhabitants, have 3 available, but state by tomorrow we will have 10..

I foresee we will in the future have massive amounts in mothball, once this passed. Nobody wants to loose a patient that could have survived with a ECMO.

Shaqazooloo

Welp Canada seems to be starting to shut down over the virus now.

Honestly sort of thought this was a nothing burger when it first broke, so it's really interesting how much of an affect it has had worldwide.

cryptoadam

Banned
You don't have to lie about deaths or fudge numbers. You simply don't test. If thousands die every year from flu, then you could have 100 people dead from coronavirus but just marked as pneumonia.
Now, obviously this can't go on forever, because if it is spreading in Japan, those numbers will increase significantly, so I think we will have a better idea within the next week or two.

I just don't think they could get away with it, especially with the heightened awarness about Corona going on now. Even Iran isn't that ballsy to lie about it that much. You would say Abe is Kim Jong levels. Lieing to that degree would destroy Abe even if the Olynpics brought 10 trillion dollars to Japan.

And like I said Japan is probably older than Italy. There are tons of old people in Japan. They would be at Italy levels with their hospitals and those on ICU. There is no way that is all being covered up by Abe.

Sure they could have many infected, but whatever they are doing they are keeping these people alive and somehow their elderly population isn't causing 100's of dead a day and flooding their ICU's.

Welp Canada seems to be starting to shut down over the virus now.

Honestly sort of thought this was a nothing burger when it first broke, so it's really interesting how much of an affect it has had worldwide.

The moment I read that Tim Hortons is closing up in store seating and going drive thru only is when I realized this shit is the real deal.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
im in a wikipedia hole reading about the various historical plagues lol. i know all about the Black Death but TIL apparently there was a plague on this scale dating back to the 6th century.
here is a painting of that time:

Plaguet03.jpg

also, if the worst case scenario happens and this is on the scale of the Black Death and 109 million people die in the USA, here is what the survivors are in for:

- cheap land
- higher wages
- cooler planet
- cultural/intellectual/political Renaissance

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom