• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtibh

Banned
Doesnt this ignore any measures that are being taken to specifically combat exponential growth?
It shows currwnt growth with implemented measures.
Sure since we have new lock downs but as we see in the case of italy nothing changed and their numbers keep growing.
The us by now has 100k of cases but without testing we will never know.

Add to this the rise of cases in india africa soon we will hit the 1mill mark worldwide.

BUT not saying death rate will jump in tandem with case numbers.

Time will tell. See in 2 weeks

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
I expect canada to enter complete lockdown soon.
My suppliers are already limiting pick ups.
No personal pick ups. Just deliveries.

More and more full lockdowns for sure world wide.
A lot more layoffs in the coming weeks.

I advise everyone to buy a month or 2 ahead if they still can and by that i mean not just food.
More and more stores are shutting down here so go out and buy as long as you have the option.
Shoes shirt fire wood electronics etc. Do it now.

Fill up your cars PAY your phone and internet bills now in case you are stuck at home and dont have a credit card or auto pay.

you must be a prophet.

Phase

My brother lives in Boston, and his gf was just laid off. :messenger_pensive:

My work is closing until at least April 6. This is gonna get bad. I guess all we can do is our part, and help our neighbors/family the best we can.

Jtibh

Banned
you must be a prophet.
I am gifted.

Nope just saying. All my vendors and suppliers are preparing for shut downs.
I spent tens of thousands on materials so i can keep rolling . I cant afford to stop production.
I get paid fuck all if i dont work unlike most people who get paid sick leave or EI.

I had insider info last thursday about the school shutdowns in my area so i was prepared for that.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
HAHAHAA, Way to be selective in your citations. I read the news constantly, and I wouldn't call any of what you linked news.

The average vaccine takes 10 years to hit the market. Don't hold your breath for a vaccine, it's gonna take a longgg while.

There are literally zero vaccines for any coronaviruses. Neither SARS nor MERS have vaccines either.

Those Asian countries are doing a bang-up job, but how is that good news for me in Europe? The western countries are a major shit-show.

Sure, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but it's going be months before we reach it.

Well EU countries should be smart like those Asian countries. Or more like Germany with despite its high amount of infected has very few deaths and seemingly hasn't exploded their health care system.

And ya its going to take some months, we are in this for the long ride I am not saying it will be over tomorrow.

But all the news isn't doom and gloom. EU is going to have tough times ahead. Mini China's probably all over. USA is going to start freaking out soon too.

But if China could stop it at 80K, SK at 8K, Japan holding steady at sub 1K there isn't anything saying the rest of the world can't do the same. We even had a SK poster here say that things are getting back to normal over there people are going out etc...

EU is at the beginning of this right now. But the Asians didn't end the world, if they can do it you Europeans can as well.

There are countries in the EU that can keep this thing under control if they don't go down Italy's path. Germany, Netherlands, Switzerland all look ok so far. Spain and France would be my two biggest worries for Italy number 2. Lets hope they have more competent governments and better hospitals.

llien

No they fucking won't stop it with this alarmist bullshit. In the US there are currently 12 "serious/critical" cases out of a total north of 4000. There is not going to be anything remotely close to a 5% death rate as a result of this in the United States. The number of actual cases is probably an order of magnitude (or two) higher than reported in the US due to the spotty testing. Deaths are most likely being fairly accurately reported now, with cases being vastly underreported, especially with how many people are damn near asymptomatic.

For starters, USA has 9 new deaths in one day alone.
77 deaths at this point, with +731 new cases and 4'411 known cases.

The best results the world have seen (along with most massive detection) is South Korea => about 1% died.
Yeah, that "much lower than 5%" ... Even 1% of current world population is 70+ million.

5%+ is an estimate in "not enough places to handle patients" condition.
Worldwide cured to deaths cases at this point is 93% to 8%..

E-Cat

No they fucking won't stop it with this alarmist bullshit. In the US there are currently 12 "serious/critical" cases out of a total north of 4000. There is not going to be anything remotely close to a 5% death rate as a result of this in the United States. The number of actual cases is probably an order of magnitude (or two) higher than reported in the US due to the spotty testing. Deaths are most likely being fairly accurately reported now, with cases being vastly underreported, especially with how many people are damn near asymptomatic.
Remember that it typically takes at least two weeks from showing symptoms to die from the virus. Since the cases are going up at an exponential pace, that means that the overwhelming majority of them have occurred in the last two weeks. What you should be doing to determine the mortality rate, instead, is to compare the number of deaths over the combined number deaths + recoveries; which there are very few of both atm.

prag16

Banned
What you should be doing to determine the mortality rate, instead, is to compare the number of deaths over the combined number deaths + recoveries; which there are very few of both atm.
Sounds like a 50% U.S. death rate there professor. I think you might be a little bit off.

Sounds like a 50% U.S. death rate there professor. I think you might be a little bit off.

I mean, right now there are something like 7100 deaths. 78K recoveries. Out of 181K cases, that leaves around 96K in limbo.

If there is a 9% death to recovery rate (based on current deaths & recoveries), you could guesstimate we'll have roughly 8700 more deaths from those 96K still in limbo.

I don't like that math as real life & death is likely not as clean as a percentage. People don't all die at the same rate, and they do it in wildly different percentages in different countries.

Right now OVERALL CFR is 3.9%. I would guess this will remain pretty constant. It will go DOWN as more cases are tested (who don't die) but then will go UP once new cases stop being found, but existing cases continue to die off for a week or two.

For starters, USA has 9 new deaths in one day alone.
77 deaths at this point, with +731 new cases and 4'411 known cases.

The best results the world have seen (along with most massive detection) is South Korea => about 1% died.
Yeah, that "much lower than 5%" ... Even 1% of current world population is 70+ million.

5%+ is an estimate in "not enough places to handle patients" condition.
Worldwide cured to deaths cases at this point is 93% to 8%..

The deaths in the US are skewed high, though. They represent it hitting literally the worst place possible - a nursing home.

E-Cat

That number is skewed right now, too. But it will correct over time (and yes, it will get a lot lower than that).

Think about it - what else would you judge the true mortality rate by? You cannot do it based on the number of deaths over total diagnosed cases, because then you are always comparing the present moment to the past.

Study from China

Children with COVID-19 show less severe symptoms than adults, study confirms
From CNN’s Gina Yu

Children in China infected with novel coronavirus showed less severe symptoms than adults, though infants and toddlers were vulnerable to moderate and severe infection, according to a new study published online in the medical journal Pediatrics on Monday.

The study examined 731 confirmed and 1,412 suspected cases of COVID-19 in children. Out of the combined 2,143 cases, one child, a 14-year-old boy, died and nearly 6% of cases were severe, compared with 18.5% of adults experiencing severe symptoms.

Young children, particularly infants, were vulnerable to COVID-19 infection, the authors of the study said. Nearly 11% of cases were severe and critical for infants less than 1 year old.

More than 90% of all pediatric patients were asymptomatic, showing mild or common forms of illness. About 13% of patients who tested positive for the virus did not show symptoms of illness.

Researchers remain unsure why children with COVID-19 were not as ill as adults.

Last edited:
KlMlkSk.png

tom hanks is out of hospital

did not know he was in a hospital

Hospital meeting today, Tents are being setup outside the campus. Guests are being screened by employees in full dress up. We are trying to figure out how we are going to support multiple sites if some of the Team catches it.

One of our Sites already locked down and isn't accepting anyone outside of Staff. I had to develop a way for them to do virtual visitations.

Hospital meeting today, Tents are being setup outside the campus. Guests are being screened by employees in full dress up. We are trying to figure out how we are going to support multiple sites if some of the Team catches it.

One of our Sites already locked down and isn't accepting anyone outside of Staff. I had to develop a way for them to do virtual visitations.

Is that standard procedure for Flu Season?

Malakhov

Banned
Well everything is being closed tonight at midnight besides essential services. Dont really care about it since groceries will remain open but wow, what a desert town it will be.

On my way to work before my night shifts it's already much less busier than the usual.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The UK is such a fucking joke, ban mass gatherings (without using those words) whilst on the other hand not close schools which fucking shockingly are mass gatherings of parents and children.

Absolute fucking idiots.

Kids stay home and half the NHS stays home too. Lesser of two evils.

Jooxed

Gold Member
The deaths in the US are skewed high, though. They represent it hitting literally the worst place possible - a nursing home.

As a Director of Dining for a Healthcare Facility I can say we have now moved into the final phase of everything we can do to guard the resident's from this. We are isolating all residents in their rooms for the foreseeable future. The restaurants we have on the premise are no longer open and we will be deliver all meals to rooms.

We take the temperature of all employees that come into work everyday and no visitors are to enter the building to visit loved ones unless it is a death event.

This is the Washington DC area.

Luckily this means more work for my staff and I can hire a couple extra bodies.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

UK Case increases from 1372 to 1543 (+171) so a drop-down from the +20% on Saturday/Sunday to around +12.5% which is very encouraging news on the whole, in terms of growth trajectory (42%, 20%, 12.5%) though we need to see whether it will hold for the rest of the week.

Death numbers are going up though, that's concerning.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
In pretty inconsequential news, Amazon here (UK) also seem to be struggling with demand seeing as I am a Prime member and cant get anything delivered until the 23rd, at the earliest.

I ordered stuff on Friday and had it delivered today with no issues - if there is a problem it might not be universal. Supply chain is likely to be where any problems are, rather than with Amazon itself. Love them or hate them, their logistics are on point.

rykomatsu

Out of curiosity, with the measures being taken around COVID as well as social distancing and more people practicing best-practice hygiene, are flu infection / death numbers going down?

Edit: also with the lockdowns happening, are things like traffic accidents and other hospitalizations going down too?

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
found this list of people who should prioritize social distancing
We are advising those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.

This group includes those who are:
aged 70 or older (regardless of medical conditions)
under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below (ie anyone instructed to get a flu jab as an adult each year on medical grounds):
chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
chronic kidney disease
chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
diabetes
problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
being seriously overweight (a BMI of 40 or above)
those who are pregnant
Note: there are some clinical conditions which put people at even higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19. If you are in this category, next week the NHS in England will directly contact you with advice the more stringent measures you should take in order to keep yourself and others safe. For now, you should rigorously follow the social distancing advice in full, outlined below.
People falling into this group are those who may be at particular risk due to complex health problems such as:
People who have received an organ transplant and remain on ongoing immunosuppression medication
People with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radiotherapy
People with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia who are at any stage of treatment
People with severe chest conditions such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma (requiring hospital admissions or courses of steroid tablets)
People with severe diseases of body systems, such as severe kidney disease (dialysis)

ugh i have cancer of the blood, so guess that means i need to be a full time shut in :messenger_persevering:

Last edited:

"Game of Thrones" actor says he's tested positive for coronavirus
From CNN's Megan Thomas

Actor Kristofer Hivju, best known for his role as Tormund Giantsbane in "Game of Thrones," announced in an Instagram post on Monday that he has tested positive for COVID-19.
Hivju said he was experiencing "mild symptoms" of a cold, and he and his family are self-isolating at their home in Norway.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

Quebec says bars, movie theatres, gyms, pools, ski hill, dance studios and other non-essential locations must close while the province ramps up measures to fight the novel coronavirus.

Restaurants will have to limit their capacity to about 50 per cent. Takeouts can remain open.

Sugar shacks (cabane à sucre) must also close.

As of 3 p.m. Sunday, there are 39 cases of COVID-19 in Quebec, which means further restrictions are necessary, Premier François Legault said.

“In other countries (the number) was exponential. It could be exponential here,” he said. “What we are doing will save lives.”

Quebecers should only go out to buy bread, go to the pharmacy, take care of an elderly person or go for a walk.

Quebecers should try to remain one metre apart because you could be infected and not know it, he said.
Downtown Montreal was pretty much deserted. People are really taking the instructions seriously.

Jtibh

Banned
Ciry of calgary shutting down all their buildings.
Had a couple commercial jobs lined up but those are on hold for who knows how long.

Still have other orders so i am ok for a while.

But every day every hour some new crap pops up.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member

"Game of Thrones" actor says he's tested positive for coronavirus
From CNN's Megan Thomas

Actor Kristofer Hivju, best known for his role as Tormund Giantsbane in "Game of Thrones," announced in an Instagram post on Monday that he has tested positive for COVID-19.
Hivju said he was experiencing "mild symptoms" of a cold, and he and his family are self-isolating at their home in Norway.

He will become the vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom