• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synless

Worldometer dropped over 6000 positives off their website for some reason. That’s odd. They changed their numbers last night too.

cryptoadam

Banned
Worldometer dropped over 6000 positives off their website for some reason. That’s odd. They changed their numbers last night too.

They just updated the NY numbes. That is basically the 6K. They were reporting 12K new cases and now 6K new cases.

NY droped from 22K to like 15K confirmed cases.

So did someone jump the gun on NY numbers?

Loki

Count of Concision
Almost 14k new cases in the US today and it will probably be near 20k before the days over. Sad there are 96 deaths today but still <1% CFR.

Where are you getting these numbers from? The CNN ticker (I'm aware it's not the most current info, but I can't imagine it being 10K+ off-base) has the US at 31K cases. We were at 27-29K yesterday.

Setzer

Where are you getting these numbers from? The CNN ticker (I'm aware it's not the most current info, but I can't imagine it being 10K+ off-base) has the US at 31K cases. We were at 27-29K yesterday.
I'm talking about daily # of cases, not total #'s.

I'm getting my info here:
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Edit
I guess they changed the #'s. When I checked the totals when I made my previous post they showed 14k new cases for US today and now I see 6k of them were taken off the board.

Last edited:
H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Spain is basically at Italy numbers from about 11 days ago. Charts align, deaths, deaths per day, cases, and cases per day.

Unless Spain turns it around they are going to be Italy within the next week.

NY its hard to gouge because of the case dump they did today. But deaths they are way behind Italy. By the time Italy was at 22K cases they had 1400 deaths and were a day away from breaking 300 deaths a day. But the NY case dump makes it harder to align the graphs.

For Canada at this time Italy already had about 40 deaths (double ours) 400+ case per day(more than double us) and was about to break 20 deaths per day.

France still behind Italy in total deaths and deaths per day. UK is in line with Italy though so another trouble spot. Boris better hope those tests he is going to buy work out.

Only deaths and hospital figures matter. More tests but the lower number of deaths means they've just tested a larger portion of the infected. Likely the number of infected in NY is waaaay behind Italy, the death numbers tell me that.

betrayal

Banned
Daily mail and all that

There are over 335,000 cases worldwide. Of course, it is not only the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions who have severe disease progressions. These individual reports distort reality enormously. Every severe case, regardless of age, is one too many.

And yet it must be said, of course there are reasons for a severe course even in an apparently absolutely healthy 12-year-old. Just because we did not know or are not aware of these causes it does not mean that they do not exist. Nothing in this world happens without a reason. A B S O L U T E L Y N O T H I N G. Action and reaction. It's a law of nature on which everything is based.
Every day there are thousands of people who are diagnosed with a previously unknown heart or lung defect during a routine check-up. The immune system can be weakened or overreact. It can be a superinfection. Is the child overweight? Does she smoke? When was the last large blood count taken (spoiler: probably years ago)? Are there nutritional deficiencies? Etc. etc..

Last edited:

holygeesus

Banned
US is totally on a different level than Italy when it comes to average age of population and healthcare. Plus Italy's method of recording deaths is not entirely accurate because they're throwing everyone into the pool of Coronavirus deaths even though that person was dying from something else.

I think you are ignoring how many cases the USA reported today. Also there is nothing wrong with the Italian healthcare system, it is just getting swamped. The US is due for a massive shock in a couple of weeks.

NYPD commissioner says 98 employees have coronavirus
From CNN’s Kristina Sgueglia

There are 98 members of the New York Police Department who have tested positive for coronavirus, according to NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea.
Of the 98, 70 are uniformed and 28 are civilian employees. Shea said 95 of 98 are recovering at home.
He believes three remain hospitalized. One was discharged Sunday.
The belief at this time with limited information is that these people did not necessarily contract coronavirus at work, Shea said.
As society contracts this disease, so do we,” Shea said.
He said the "normal sick rate" for the NYPD is approaching about "double that rate," adding that he saw the numbers go up when the virus took hold roughly around March 17.
He said the department is in "very good shape" in terms of resources, but "we plan for it every day.”
"We are not at the point where we’re close to going to 12-hour tours," he said. "What we are doing, though, is planning for all eventualities."
People who were previously put on quarantine have come back to work, Shea said.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I think somebody posted in this thread a Reddit link about someone doing a "deep dive" into COVID stuff and talked about ACE receptors in the small intestine. I can't seem to find that. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

cryptoadam

Banned
There are over 335,000 cases worldwide. Of course, it is not only the elderly and people with pre-existing conditions who have severe disease progressions. These individual reports distort reality enormously. Every severe case, regardless of age, is one too many.

And yet it must be said, of course there are reasons for a severe course even in an apparently absolutely healthy 12-year-old. Just because we did not know or are not aware of these causes it does not mean that they do not exist. Nothing in this world happens without a reason.
Every day there are thousands of people who are diagnosed with a previously unknown heart or lung defect during a routine check-up. The immune system can be weakened or overreact. It can be a superinfection. Is the child overweight? Does she smoke? When was the last large blood count taken (spoiler: probably years ago)? Are there nutritional deficiencies?

I agree on this. 5 kids died last week from the normal flu. Shit happens.

The media will continue to run with these stories, but you won't see the ones that say 95 year old man dies from Corona, or 65 year old 20 year smoker dies etc...

Now does not take away from the seriousness of this. But numbers over anecdotal evidence. Still I wouldn't want anyone to get this because its a form of pneumonia and that sucks ass. No one wants to slowly drown themselves.

But the scare stream media gets off on this stuff.

betrayal

Banned
I think you are ignoring how many cases the USA reported today. Also there is nothing wrong with the Italian healthcare system, it is just getting swamped. The US is due for a massive shock in a couple of weeks.

I don't think so. The US has the advantage of being able to transfer patients to areas that are less affected.

cryptoadam

Banned
NYPD commissioner says 98 employees have coronavirus
From CNN’s Kristina Sgueglia

There are 98 members of the New York Police Department who have tested positive for coronavirus, according to NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea.
Of the 98, 70 are uniformed and 28 are civilian employees. Shea said 95 of 98 are recovering at home.
He believes three remain hospitalized. One was discharged Sunday.
The belief at this time with limited information is that these people did not necessarily contract coronavirus at work, Shea said.
As society contracts this disease, so do we,” Shea said.
He said the "normal sick rate" for the NYPD is approaching about "double that rate," adding that he saw the numbers go up when the virus took hold roughly around March 17.
He said the department is in "very good shape" in terms of resources, but "we plan for it every day.”
"We are not at the point where we’re close to going to 12-hour tours," he said. "What we are doing, though, is planning for all eventualities."
People who were previously put on quarantine have come back to work, Shea said.

Well the good news is if those 95 continue to recover, you got 95 immune members of the NYPD.

Setzer

LOL I'm not ignoring anything. Have you checked the total population #'s for Italy compared to the USA? US #'s are going to go skyrocket but deaths is the # to keep track of, not total # of cases. Right now in the US the CFR is much lower than it is in Italy and it has to do with healthcare and an aging population in Italy.

tfur

I am expecting 60-100 million in the U.S. will be part of the: will be or have been infected group. If there was ~60 million H1N1 in the U.S., then this seems possible. In the end, it will be to hope for less powerful strains to live so that we have mild to no symptoms. I hope the quarantine proves me wrong.

The mask situation almost feels like some sort of conspiracy. I have heard from 3 nurses in 2 states this same story(directly, not 3rd hand). They all had masks and equipment in storage. About 2 weeks ago, the masks were "moved or stolen." The locations were key card protected and it has to be either internal directive, or just people stealing. It was all there, they are storing or saving them. I cannot believe they were stolen. This is direct information from 3 different hospitals, in 2 states.

You only wear an n95 if you are in the room with the patient. When you leave the room, you can wear a surgical mask if you like. Some nurses might end up walking. They are not happy. They will all get sick.

The mask issue may be a problem anyhow. From what I found on the internet, Covid is .120 micrometers. The n95 only protects object at or above .3 micrometers.

It is starting to bloom in the hospitals in these locations.

Basically, we will probably all eventually get it. Hope for weak strains over the months and years to come.

QWmyL1Z.png

Chinese bots seem to be running amok on Twitter, and seem to have a heavy connection to the #TrumpVirus hashtag. There is a whole rabbit hole of retardation to fall into there, with a heavy push that the US somehow covered up the Kung Flu last winter.

cryptoadam

Banned
Basically, we will probably all eventually get it. Hope for weak strains over the months and years to come.

Bottom line is you can't really stop it. Has someone found a way to stop people getting the common cold? Nope.

this isn't AIDS where you have to have butt sex with someone to get it or share a needle. This isn't cancer where you have to smoke for years or be exposed to radition etc...

This is a virus that sticks in the air and on surfaces. So unless we all stop breathing and never leave our houses your going to be playing Russian roulette that you will get it.

Now if you aren't old its not a death sentence. It still sucks but this isn't like other viruses that kill 50% of the population. But I don't want to get pneomnia and end up in the hospital all alone for 2 weeks and I wouldn't want anyone else to be in that position either.

cryptoadam

Banned

Banned
I am expecting 60-100 million in the U.S. will be part of the: will be or have been infected group. If there was ~60 million H1N1 in the U.S., then this seems possible. In the end, it will be to hope for less powerful strains to live so that we have mild to no symptoms. I hope the quarantine proves me wrong.

The mask situation almost feels like some sort of conspiracy. I have heard from 3 nurses in 2 states this same story(directly, not 3rd hand). They all had masks and equipment in storage. About 2 weeks ago, the masks were "moved or stolen." The locations were key card protected and it has to be either internal directive, or just people stealing. It was all there, they are storing or saving them. I cannot believe they were stolen. This is direct information from 3 different hospitals, in 2 states.

You only wear an n95 if you are in the room with the patient. When you leave the room, you can wear a surgical mask if you like. Some nurses might end up walking. They are not happy. They will all get sick.

The mask issue may be a problem anyhow. From what I found on the internet, Covid is .120 micrometers. The n95 only protects object at or above .3 micrometers.

It is starting to bloom in the hospitals in these locations.

face masks are not there to save the wearer from infection but to keep others around the wearer save.
no face mask will keep you save from a virus infection like corona for more than a few minutes, that's when the mask get's wet from your breath and every germ will just stick to it and is able to move around that breath soup you're stirring up.

people who were face masks in the fear of getting infected are fucking stupid.
only hard shell masks with air filters would do anything, but not one of these:

10PCS-SET-3D-Disposable-Bacterial-Filter-Medical-Anti-Dust-PM2-5-Surgical-Face-Mouth-Mask-For.jpg

So I guess thats Chairman Tickles twitter.

The DailyBeast is in on it too:

With how FaceBook got raked over the coals for a few shitty ads, I hope some Republicans have the balls to hold the media accountable for spreading Chinese propaganda.

betrayal

Banned
I think somebody posted in this thread a Reddit link about someone doing a "deep dive" into COVID stuff and talked about ACE receptors in the small intestine. I can't seem to find that. Does that ring a bell for anyone?

Yes, but that's all speculation. ACE2 is highly abundant in the human lung and small intestine epithelia (biological term for covering tissue and glandular tissue), which could be a potential entry route for the virus. Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) is a functional receptor for the coronavirus. There have been increasing reports that data based on experimental cell biological and animal studies suggest that ACE inhibitors and Sartane (both are cardiac drugs) may increase the activity of ACE2 in the heart, potentially promoting COVID-19 infections and severity.

crowbrow

Banned
This is German data. About 80% of cases are under the age of 60. Lines up pretty well with SK as well. Now compare that to Italy where more than half the cases are over 60.
Also Italy's culture is very family-oriented. They are more used to living with family even as adults and even extended family with grandparents. That might have to do also with how this spread so far there.

gamerMan

Right now in the US the CFR is much lower than it is in Italy and it has to do with healthcare and an aging population in Italy.

The US death rate is very low right now but the reason so many people are dying in Italy is because the hospitals are strained. This hasn't occurred yet in the United States. If this occurs in the United States, the death rate will go up. This is why flattening the curve is so important. Also, you have to keep a close watch on those in serious condition because it means they are on ventilators. In the United States it is 795. Some of these people will die and as this number increases with each day, more will die.

cryptoadam

Banned
The DailyBeast is in on it too:

With how FaceBook got raked over the coals for a few shitty ads, I hope some Republicans have the balls to hold the media accountable for spreading Chinese propaganda.

Its part of their plan. Its why they are being so insistent that all new cases of Corona chan are "foreign".

China gonna flip the script and start blaming the rest of the world for its Corona problem once wave 2 hits. They are setting the narrative NOW.

Wouldn't surprise me if they are purposfully trying to create a second wave so they can turn the tables and blame it on outsiders bringing it in and slowly erase the whole Dec-Feb period of the virus and pretend it started with cases apperaing in the US/Italy/Iran.

We already hear stories (maybe true, maybe false) of people not getting tested in Wuhan or other CCP cover ups. Me thinks CCP wouldn't mind a mini outbreak. They can crack down hard again and contain it and then blame all the foreigners for bringing in the virus after they won the war. Then they can rewrite it that the war never happened in the first place and all the infected were from foreign countries.

Thus their propaganda is complete and the CCP virus becomes a foreign virus brought into China in March and now they are the innocent VICTIMS.

Cybrwzrd

Banned

QWmyL1Z.png

Chinese bots seem to be running amok on Twitter, and seem to have a heavy connection to the #TrumpVirus hashtag. There is a whole rabbit hole of retardation to fall into there, with a heavy push that the US somehow covered up the Kung Flu last winter.

Just remember, bots are not just posting on twitter, they are posting to other forums.

cryptoadam

Banned
The US death rate is very low right now but the reason so many people are dying in Italy is because the hospitals are strained. This hasn't occurred yet in the United States. If this occurs in the United States, the death rate will go up. This is why flattening the curve is so important. Also, you have to keep a close watch on those in serious condition because it means they are on ventilators. In the United States it is 795. Some of these people will die and as this number increases with each day, more will die.

And keep in mind Italy 55% of cases were over 60. compared to Germany and SK which are in the 20%.

Ya 55% of infected, (which accounts for 96% of the dead) in the most vulnerable and sick group, your hospitals are going to have a bad day.

Do you have US breakdowns of demo's? This gets into your old population forget about curve flattening and your hospitals, both are fucked in the ass.

Some data released today (Spain) Age: 0-18 year old: 350 cases out of 18.950 (1,84%), with "only" 1 death. The catch is that these young ones are given top priority at hospitals but they NEED hospitalization just the same. This means that as long as there are available ventilators and beds, they will be fine. Problem is that hospitals are already OVER capacity and that might lead to a situation in which you cannot even treat the young ones on time, so they will be left in very bad shape or will be killed by the desease. People in the bracket 30-40 dying too, without any underlying condition. It's all about getting the proper treatment for as long as needed.

The general idea that people under 50 are safe is absolute bullshit and whoever entertains it is putting everybody else in danger. It all comes down to having ventilators and medical staff available. If those fail, the death toll will spike, which is what we are witnessing now in Italy and Spain. The more infected people, the more dangerous it becomes to everyone, old and young alike, which is why we must remain home and only go out when completely necessary.

holygeesus

Banned
LOL I'm not ignoring anything. Have you checked the total population #'s for Italy compared to the USA? US #'s are going to go skyrocket but deaths is the # to keep track of, not total # of cases. Right now in the US the CFR is much lower than it is in Italy and it has to do with healthcare and an aging population in Italy.
You don’t seem to understand how this works. If you record over 30,000 cases a day you will be seeing a lot of deaths. The death count is always delayed in comparison because of how long being infected turning to death takes.

Just remember, bots are not just posting on twitter, they are posting to other forums.

I'm not even sure if this is a literal bot or some Chicom farm - look at this shit:

h8g5Fsy.png

yWu37fQ.png

e1qwZ3m.png

AVqZY5q.png

gJnr7Ge.png

DPvslLZ.png

bpkZSGb.png

8x6bezj.png

qGhxGr0.png

Klz7VWN.png

Half the tweets sound like the Chicom version of this:

And the other half are denying basic reality, like bat soup. Apparently whoever was running this figured out that it looks weird for someone in China to be using Twitter, so they explained that they "use Twitter sometimes" instead of WeChat. . .somehow. Must be some rural hick working in a farm.

Last edited:

tfur

Yes, but that's all speculation. ACE2 is highly abundant in the human lung and small intestine epithelia (biological term for covering tissue and glandular tissue), which could be a potential entry route for the virus. Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) is a functional receptor for the coronavirus. There have been increasing reports that data based on experimental cell biological and animal studies suggest that ACE inhibitors and Sartane (both are cardiac drugs) may increase the activity of ACE2 in the heart, potentially promoting COVID-19 infections and severity.

I have read and heard the opposite for a long time (at least for Cov-1), until this last week. They suggest you keep on your ACE and ARBS, and there is possible evidence of benefit.

I think this is interesting and should be viewed, in regards to this subject.

Looks like this image floating around Twitter sums up the conspiracy theory China is peddling:

TqMp5DO.jpg

Note that a certain 3-month period of time is conspicuously absent :unsure:

China's whole theory is based on the US having a moderately bad flu season last year (well within recent historical ranges) and e-cigs and shit. Assuming this bullshit is true, how did this incredibly contagious disease not spread to Canada or Europe or tourist destinations in China instead of fucking Wuhan?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm watching the governor of New York and I've been watching him for a while now.

He's... he's kind of a badass.

I'm not from New York so he may be a complete douche, but he's been killing this media/interview for the two hours I've been watching.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Look at the brightside if other fast food restaurants close for the time being, maybe obesity will drop.

I like my fat rolls. They’ll help me survive when the food runs out and all there is to eat is toilet paper.

Armorian

Banned
I don't how much of it is related to COVID19 pandemic but holy shit at the amount of good movies on (Polish) tv today:

Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, PotC1, Looper, Event Horizon, Pulp Fiction, Edge of Tomorrow, Martian, Creed, Hobbit 2, Avengers 2 (that one is medicore but still very popular), Big Trouble in Little China and probably few I don't remeber/didn't notice. I don't know what to watch (will probably stick to Event Horizon) 🤷‍♂️

Usually sundays were shit in terms of tv content, they really want people to stay home.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
I have read and heard the opposite for a long time (at least for Cov-1), until this last week. They suggest you keep on your ACE and ARBS, and there is possible evidence of benefit.

I think this is interesting and should be viewed, in regards to this subject.

At the moment everything is just hypothetical.This is also explained in the video. Of course people should continue to take their medication. The disadvantages of stopping these drugs are far worse and can occur more frequent than what COVID-19 can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom