• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamerMan

I aint no scientist but it probably has to do with how it reacts in your lungs. Those who don't get it bad probably didn't really managed to cling onto their lungs, while those who get it worse/die most likely the thing took hold and held on for dear life. Its possible we find out that getting coughed on is worse than touching it on a metal surface, vs touching it on a plastic surface etc.... But that type of research is probably years away.

Most likely it has to do with your exposure or viral load. According to the Lancet, the mean viral load of severe cases was 60X higher than that of mild cases. To me, there is a big difference between somebody sneezing on you versus touching a surface and getting it. Sneezing exposes your body much more to the virus.

This is why I think even young healthcare providers are dying from it. Their exposure is very high.

It also means that the US government is flat out lying to its people because of its ineptness. Wearing a mask in public isn't going to give you 100% protection, but it will limit your exposure to the virus . South Korea, which is the model for controlling this, made sure everybody in their population has access to a mask.

Last edited:
"ManaByte, post: 257495748, member: 1452"]
You're the one who said a 4-9 month lockdown is just "not ideal". Stop the fucking trolling.
[/QUOTE]
I said 4-9 months probably wont even happen. Like seriously you're reading comprehension is fucking terrible. Go pick a fight with someone else.

holygeesus

Banned
Almost 14k new cases in the US today and it will probably be near 20k before the days over. Sad there are 96 deaths today but still <1% CFR.

Does that take into account that it can take two weeks to die after infection?

Speaking to some forces chums today and the army are on standby here (UK). Don't know how often that happens but they are being readied.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Matt Stoller went and made a list of the sorts of bailouts corporations are demanding from the US government. Looks like it's all for the benefit of big business at the expense of regular folk. I'll just copy pasta everything below:

Sounds like this might not get through the House as Pelosi and others are against it. Republics are also against it like Ted Cruz, saying it's corporate welfare and the money should be going to regular people. Looks like it's mostly Mitch McConnell who wants to strong arm it through.

You're the one who picked the fight. It's obvious you just registered here to troll and cause trouble.
I said not ideal AND PROBABLY WONT EVEN HAPPEN. Jesus christ. Thats the last thing I want to happen. Hopefully 2 weeks hard lockdown everywhere then slowly get back to normal. You are the one with the issue if you think that is trolling.

Jtibh

Banned
Bad news calgary. Or good news depends how we look at it.

I have some higher up contacts that are close to kenny and i was told we will go into lockdown either tomorrow or in the next 2-3 days.

Take this with a grain of salt. These are the talks in place right now.

I do advise everyone to buy what they have to that is unrelated to food as those stores wont be allowed to stay open anymore.
Go now before the news breaks so you dont face mass panic buy.

Again grain of salt but this is on the agenda.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I said not ideal AND PROBABLY WONT EVEN HAPPEN. Jesus christ. Thats the last thing I want to happen. Hopefully 2 weeks hard lockdown everywhere then slowly get back to normal. You are the one with the issue if you think that is trolling.

It won't be 2 weeks. Cuomo is saying 4-9 months, so are the other Dem governors like Newsom. And if you try to keep people locked up for more than a month, or six weeks max, people are going to start putting those guns they lined up to buy to use.

Paracelsus

Yelp. You'll have to apply for a permit to go for groceries or risk paying a 150eu fine.

It's not a permit, it's a legal statement. It means you're identified, filed and in case you end up being infected and cause some serious *, you can be held legally responsible.
In Italy a doctor went to work by lying about his condition, he had fever and he shrugged it off. He ended up infecting 7 people (down South, so it's a serious deal because if South goes full Raccoon City, the country is dead).
You can safely say his career is over and if he's unlucky he's gonna do some jail time.

cryptoadam

Banned
Spain is basically at Italy numbers from about 11 days ago. Charts align, deaths, deaths per day, cases, and cases per day.

Unless Spain turns it around they are going to be Italy within the next week.

NY its hard to gouge because of the case dump they did today. But deaths they are way behind Italy. By the time Italy was at 22K cases they had 1400 deaths and were a day away from breaking 300 deaths a day. But the NY case dump makes it harder to align the graphs.

For Canada at this time Italy already had about 40 deaths (double ours) 400+ case per day(more than double us) and was about to break 20 deaths per day.

France still behind Italy in total deaths and deaths per day. UK is in line with Italy though so another trouble spot. Boris better hope those tests he is going to buy work out.

I'm not going to try to catch up from the pages I've missed got to make some food and get back to animal crossing

New York is the new Italy, Italy, Spain, and Germany have case spikes, but NY is on a new level of testing.
I guess all you have to do is test.

today so far.

hteLoQS.png

Cases turning to deaths depends on what we can do at those hospitals, NY does not have a large number of critial compared to cases.

tracker link for updates

BNO has a state by state tracker but they update slowly and are about 6k behind the tracker above but here is how far ahead NY is

V6GjYqR.png

Link for USA States tracker

TaJER1f.png

betrayal betrayal was right about the 500,000 to 1,000,000 cases number he posted about weeks ago. I did not think or want to believe we could reach those numbers but we are not even testing as we should in most places. He may say decline, better, and looks good a lot but at least he had more realistic numbers when I pushed him a few weeks back. So just giving him credit on that.

Ok back to Animal Crossing.

Will pop in all week since I still have to navigate real life being at high risk myself.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yes, this is possible too. I think you can still easily figure out what building it is if you live there, though.

I don't think anything in there would bring down the CCP. It is very positive about all of the precautions, not a critical word.

As a Japanese dude with a family living in fucking Nanjing of all places, I'm sure he's very careful. Accidents can happen to anyone, after all.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Time to reset the consumerism and capitalistic mentality. And hopefully we come out of this better then when we entered it. Going to be hard times ahead for sure but thats what happens during a global pandemic, buy we can get through if the whole world works together!

...optimism feels so weird lol

Stop peddling your unsubstantiated hope in these dark times, sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lukin1978

Bad news calgary. Or good news depends how we look at it.

I have some higher up contacts that are close to kenny and i was told we will go into lockdown either tomorrow or in the next 2-3 days.

Take this with a grain of salt. These are the talks in place right now.

I do advise everyone to buy what they have to that is unrelated to food as those stores wont be allowed to stay open anymore.
Go now before the news breaks so you dont face mass panic buy.

Again grain of salt but this is on the agenda.
That's a rumor I heard also lockdown today or Wednesday but I'll believe when I see it.

I was looking at the website most are using (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/), and they count the new cases in a misleading way.
They state that Italy's new cases are 5,560. They get to that adding the ACTUAL new cases (3957), the deaths (651) and... the recovered (951).

This way, when the recovered will start to skyrocket so will their "new cases" number.

holygeesus

Banned
I'm not going to try to catch up from the pages I've missed got to make some food and get back to animal crossing

New York is the new Italy, Italy, Spain, and Germany have case spikes, but NY is on a new level of testing.
I guess all you have to do is test.

today so far.

hteLoQS.png

Cases turning to deaths depends on what we can do at those hospitals, NY does not have a large number of critial compared to cases.

tracker link for updates

BNO has a state by state tracker but they update slowly and are about 6k behind the tracker above but here is how far ahead NY is

V6GjYqR.png

Link for USA States tracker

TaJER1f.png

betrayal betrayal was right about the 500,000 to 1,000,000 cases number he posted about weeks ago. I did not think or want to believe we could reach those numbers but we are not even testing as we should in most places. He may say decline, better, and looks good a lot but at least he had more realistic numbers when I pushed him a few weeks back. So just giving him credit on that.

Ok back to Animal Crossing.

Will pop in all week since I still have to navigate real life being at high risk myself.

How often are these updated because the Guardian is saying 793 died in Italy in a day and 340 deaths in the USA?

ManaByte

Gold Member
you cant pay anything if you’re dead.

its not ideal and it will depend on what each government does to help those people, many countries have paused all payments and evictions

In the US they're giving a pittance. $1200 per person is nothing, and that doesn't even pay for most people's house payment or rent.

Pausing evictions only benefits renters, as mortgages will have to get paid even with them not allowing people to be evicted.

You keep people locked up in their homes for more than a month or month and a half in the US and you WILL see unrest and possibly even violence against the government.

Jtibh

Banned
That's a rumor I heard also lockdown today or Wednesday but I'll believe when I see it.
Either way sometimes its ok to fall for the rumor. My contact aint a small guy .
I got from him the info on the school closures on a friday and it happend 3 day later.

Even if its not true it wont hurt to get what you need cuz sooner or later it will happen.

Alebrije

The problem in the US is that every governor can do whatever they want, there is not a centaliced program so California and New York are doing doing different strategies also Texas or Oregon...that could help the virus spread more than in other countries.

How often are these updated because the Guardian is saying 793 died in Italy in a day and 340 deaths in the USA?

that all depends on when the Guardian reporter stated to count a 24 hour period, in a day could mean many things.

Woldometer updates about every 30 minutes to an hour or as soon as you hit reload on the page the numbers change, they have a 24 hour clock so the red numbers are the last 24 hrs and at the next day they start counting red number again. Some countries only have one report released per day others have more than one report per day. USA is always releasing numbers.

BNO updates slower these days maybe ever 30 hours to 48 hours somethings might not be updated. But the numbers are accurate on both.

It is not about the pass day reported on the news, it is how the totals match up. If a tracker does not have the same totals who ever is ahead is the new report. Most of the time the news breaks the reports other times they are behind the trackers.

I trust the trackers.

USA Deaths?

Look at Germany deaths, USA does not have as many critical cases as Italy, Iran, or Spain so far. It means most of the cases in New York are sent home to isolate themselves. In a few weeks all of that may change as cases become serious and hospitals overflow with serious cases then the deaths and doom comes. That is what they call becoming like Italy.

Most States are still not testing yet and will catch up to NY numbers when and if they ramp up testing don't expect deaths the first week or two.

Last edited:
The problem in the US is that every governor can do whatever they want, there is not a centaliced program so California and New York are doing doing different strategies also Texas or Oregon...that could help the virus spread more than in other countries.
I agree. In Oregon we have a "please stay home" that just isn't working. Even if it doesn't escalate to full on lockdown it needs to be a more serious message sent out. Cause all the groups I can see out my front window are going to end up fucking us all over!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I agree. In Oregon we have a "please stay home" that just isn't working. Even if it doesn't escalate to full on lockdown it needs to be a more serious message sent out. Cause all the groups I can see out my front window are going to end up fucking us all over!

How are you going to be fucked over if you are locking yourself up in home?

SushiReese

Italian mayors warn citizens not to break quarantine and go outside for"jogging"/ "walking the dogs"

In order of appearance: -
Vincenzo De Luca, President of Campania. -
Cateno De Luca, Mayor of Messina. -
Antonio Decaro, Mayor of Bari. -
Massimiliano Presciutti, Mayor of Gualdo Tadino. -
Antonio Tutolo, Mayor of Lucera.
- Giuseppe Falcomatà, Mayor of Reggio Calabria.

I went to Walmart last night when I figured it would be mostly empty, but it had closed earlier. I saw 20-30 cars parked haphazardly over in one corner and drove over, and there were a bunch of high school-looking kids having a party. This is in a really rural area too which is surrounded by cities with cases.

IDK what needs to be done. If cops dispersed them they would probably just go to a field somewhere.

betrayal

Banned

And this week will be a week of hope, not only for Italy, but for all who will follow the path of Italy. With Italy, the first country outside Asia will show that there is certainly something that can be done to push down the daily new cases. Perhaps we are already seeing tendencies of a peak for Austria and Switzerland, too.

rykomatsu

Out of curiosity, is there a reason why there is a prohibition on going outside to an isolated location? For example, going to an empty forest or what not? More for simplicity of rules rather than thinking of edge cases and/or idiots congregating in "unpatrolable" locations?

cryptoadam

Banned

Among these cases, 10,403 are male (56%) and 8,134 female (43%). In total, 130 children under the age of 5, 428 children aged 5 to 14 years, 14,689 persons aged 15 to 59 years and 3,240 persons 60 years and older (see Figure 2). The age of 123 notified cases is unknown. The median age is 46 years.

This is German data. About 80% of cases are under the age of 60. Lines up pretty well with SK as well. Now compare that to Italy where more than half the cases are over 60.

I would love to see France and Spain demo breakdown. Any GAFers have those numbers?

Testing + Lockdown + away from old people = keeping it under control.

Italian mayors warn citizens not to break quarantine and go outside for"jogging"/ "walking the dogs"

In order of appearance: -
Vincenzo De Luca, President of Campania. -
Cateno De Luca, Mayor of Messina. -
Antonio Decaro, Mayor of Bari. -
Massimiliano Presciutti, Mayor of Gualdo Tadino. -
Antonio Tutolo, Mayor of Lucera.
- Giuseppe Falcomatà, Mayor of Reggio Calabria.

The sign language interpreter :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kadayi

Banned

Latest UK update 5683 (+665) which equates to a 13% rise overall, which seems like a good step down from the previous rise the day before of +1035 cases. The total number of daily tests equates to 5522 so the new cases detections equal just over 12% or roughly 1 in every 8 tests being positive.

Very curious to see how the figures go next week given the schools are shut and a lot of non-essential retail and leisure business have gone into lock down.

Personally went for a walk in my local park earlier today as after a few days in WFH I needed to get some exercise and air, as well as kick off a daily routine and I was pleasantly surprised to see that aside from the usual dog walkers and joggers hardly anyone else was about. Felt a little self conscious about wearing a mask initially, but did see a few others doing the same.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Because we may have to be locked up even longer I mean.

I don't get it. This is never going away and we're going to have to stay locked up until we have treatments or a vaccine if we decide that minimizing fatalities is our priority as a society.

Last edited by a moderator:

Setzer

US is totally on a different level than Italy when it comes to average age of population and healthcare. Plus Italy's method of recording deaths is not entirely accurate because they're throwing everyone into the pool of Coronavirus deaths even though that person was dying from something else.

betrayal

Banned
They won’t, just like The Netherlands, they think immunization is the way to go.

In a way, it is. Lockdowns, if followed, give a virus a sharply defined space in which to spread. Within this space it dies out, because the necessary living beings are either unavailable or already ill (dead/healed = immunity). The necessary duration depends on the incubation time and the time until all potential carriers are cured or just dead.

Of course, the number of infections, demography, population density, etc. play a role. Therefore, there will be regions (epicentres) that require much longer strict measures. It is precisely these epicentres, mostly cities or densely populated areas, that will account for 80-90% of the number of people affected nationwide in the statistics and will be largely responsible for country-specific high numbers. This also means, of course, that there are countries that will end up with fewer problems than other regions. Even within a country there will be states that are severely affected and some that will begin to normalize after 2-3 months.

In this sense, when talking about a lockdown, we must still consider the individual regions or states of a country. For example, if you say that the USA (this is only a hypothetical example!) has 100 million infected people, then it can and will still be possible to move freely in 80% of the country, because regional measures may have long since been scaled back, when in other parts of the country there are still strict lockdowns in place. In this case, politicians are right, when they always say we have a highly dynamic situation

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom