• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa

Banned
I thought it was a new virus world tax had to call and check

Seriously this shit already ruined my meal under so much anxiety and stress today it would have been bad if I did not just let that driver go and get my food in. I'm a black man I don't fight delivery drivers over money concerns, someone says I owe them money I need to think of a smarter way to deal with the shit or starve. Lucky I had the money on me.

normally tip drivers well enogh not $20 worth but normally I tip since I delivered pizza when I was a kid.

driver just came back and told me it wasnt him it was the girl on the register. When I called back to ask I did get her but she said please use another phone 'I can't hear you' she said. Got disconnected and I called back and got the manager and he sent the driver out with my change

driver gave me $24 back, I gave him a $10

I am poor not rich just a painter artists don't make bank. I really fucking hate the stress of money everyone tries to get the shit and keep the shit. Someone tried to fuck me over today if I don't let that shit go it just adds to the stress

I wish I could steal so easily

Think about it like this: if it weren’t for others doing the bulk of the economic heavy lifting, everyone would be poor and there would be no market at all for your art.

Jtibh

Banned
Is the Stampede in Calgary?

I vaguely remember going to that in... 1997? I was up there for a World Police & Fire Olympics.. thing and IIRC it coincided with the stampede (big festival-type thing?) and it was really cool. I fell in love with a Canadian girl but we only ever wrote 1 letter to each other, oh what could have been, eh.
Yes its here in calgary.

I am affraid it wont be hosted this year.
A lot of stampede staff got laid off.
But yeah its great women are hot hot but its very expensive.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I was watching the Corona task force briefing today, and I kept thinking this guy was saying "My pillow"... Did anybody happen to catch that? How is this happening???

I'm glad unemployment was expanded to deal with this situation. That will help these guys a great deal.

How much leverage is in the US economy nowadays?

Back in 2008, it seemed like the housing market wasn't the only market that bubbled up because of reckless lending and selling bets on those loans increasing the amount of money behind a single shakey loan 10-20 fold.

Mortgages, business loans, student loans, car loans, etc. The default rates on all of those will skyrocket if millions of people are losing their jobs and the economy is in states of dormancy for months.
But all this debt is being bet on, multiplying the amount of capital that's going around based on loans that will be defaulted on.

I currently can't imagine this whole thing not blowing up.

gamerMan

Czech Republic flattened curve by going from nobody wearing a mask to everyone wearing one. They saw in South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan there were no large scale lock-downs, but COVID-19 was being controlled. Looks like we didn't need to crash the economy or have so many deaths if we followed Asia's lead. Masks work.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web

It seemed like a good point, then I saw it was Don Jr, so I checked further.
Maddow said this 2 weeks ago, and the ship was not here last week, so she was technically right.

The real crazy videos are from Fox News. Calling the virus nothing but the flu, and a hoax till just a few weeks ago. Then 1 week of serious talk, and then right on to lets die to fix the economy and be reborn on Easter, and 2 days later back to taking it seriously.

They're going to be sued to oblivion if their viewers are intelligent enough.

dionysus

Yaldog
I was watching the Corona task force briefing today, and I kept thinking this guy was saying "My pillow"... Did anybody happen to catch that? How is this happening???

The mypillow owner retooled all his assembly lines for medical masks. Making 10,000/day and hopes to be at 50,000/day by Friday.

Certain journalistic blue check cretins made fun of Trump and the CEO acting like it was just an ad for mypillow.com because the CEO is a Trump supporter. I am a little heated about it, not at you, but heated at worthless blue check Twitter posters who contribute nothing to the national response making fun of a guy who turned his whole business into one supporting front line medical providers.

Last edited:
How much leverage is in the US economy nowadays?

Back in 2008, it seemed like the housing market wasn't the only market that bubbled up because of reckless lending and selling bets on those loans increasing the amount of money behind a single shakey loan 10-20 fold.

Mortgages, business loans, student loans, car loans, etc. The default rates on all of those will skyrocket if millions of people are losing their jobs and the economy is in states of dormancy for months.
But all this debt is being bet on, multiplying the amount of capital that's going around based on loans that will be defaulted on.

I currently can't imagine this whole thing not blowing up.

I doubt the government will let defaults occur. They will probably freeze the financial system before that happens.

And besides, there is no court system to rule on defaults now anyhow. Foreclosures, bankruptcies, all that jazz requires hearings and orders.

All Hail C-Webb

I doubt the government will let defaults occur. They will probably freeze the financial system before that happens.

And besides, there is no court system to rule on defaults now anyhow. Foreclosures, bankruptcies, all that jazz requires hearings and orders.

What's the potential downside to doing that now?

Grinchy

Banned
Czech Republic flattened curve by going from nobody wearing a mask to everyone wearing one. They saw in South Korea, Japan, and Taiwan there were no large scale lock-downs, but COVID-19 was being controlled. Looks like we didn't need to crash the economy or have so many deaths if we followed Asia's lead. Masks work.

Instead, they told us masks were pointless and had no realistic use for citizens.

Paracelsus

It had seemed Canada had avoided disaster but now it’s starting to grow fast. Germany is staying on pace with the US when accounting for populations.

I guess impeach the leader of the free world?

You should see if you can impeach and remove the opposition party, because hugs and kisses brought us here.
However, that would mean an Orban situation worldwide, and you don't want that.

nush

Gold Member
I'll take it.

I'll bet you a two week ban that we will see so many declines world wide that it will be a none issue in two weeks.

ncbjVWp.jpg

Has anyone besides South Korea (and I guess Russia) handled this well?

South Korea and Singapore are probably the best examples of successful tracing and containment efforts.

Most other countries didn't even have a chance to trace and contain because the spreads went undetected for too long.
The outbreaks across Europe, except in Italy, were mostly Austrias fuck up. They basically ignored an outbreak in Tyrol for 2 weeks after Iceland reported that a group of tourists from there had several members who tested positive on March 1st. After that warning from Iceland Austria took until March 14th before shutting down the ski resorts. By then thousands of infected tourists had returned home all across Europe without self-isolation because there was no official warning that they had been in a high-risk area.
That's the kind of mistake that will ruin containment strategies.

Once containment failed you need to mitigate and keep infection rates from rising so fast that the healthcare system will be overwhelmed. Several countries are still successful in that, but it will take another few weeks until we see if the flattening of the curve is actually sustainable.
Germany, Switzerland have healthcare systems that still have quite some capacity left.
Germany estimates that, if hospitalization rates stay the same, its system could handle a peak of 40.000 daily new infections, that's about double the daily new infections the US currently records, but you have to consider that a lot of new infections still go undetected, so you can't fully compare those numbers.
Germany also has a very evenly distributed population density. There are no metropolitan areas like New York where millions upon millions of people live bunched up in a tiny area. So their healthcare infrastructure isn't locally going over capacity easily either.

So yeah, South Korea and Singapore were really proactive and successful. They are generally well prepared for a scenario like this and it shows.

Of the Western nations, Germany is probably the biggest one with a promising approach but despite a flattening trend, the long term viability is still not definitive. It should also be pointed out that apart from a well thought out approach, Germany also has very high numbers of intensive care units per capita, like 6-8 times that of the UK, which makes it way easier to keep the system running within capacity.

Japan also shows good numbers, but they barely test. They have a targeted approach to testing and strict isolation rules. Unless you are a risk group you can't even get tested. So they probably have much high case numbers, but don't record them. The question is for how long such strict isolation measures can be upheld. Opening up again becomes more complicated when you are rather blind to the viruses spread.

Russia is not handling this well at all. They simply don't report how bad it is getting.
The government there mandated a week off work last week and people took it as paid vacation and traveled all over the country. Likely spreading the virus to every last corner. Similar to the Spring Break fuck up in the US.

Last edited:
What's the potential downside to doing that now?

It will tank the stock market and hinder recovery severely, for one.

The piecemeal approach we are doing is fine. The situation should be reassessed as things get worse.

If you want to know something that really should be done now, unemployment income should be recategorized as nontaxable. Instant boost in actual cashflow, and reduces government inefficiency in taxing money it just gave out. And then just leave it like that. The same should happen with Social Security payments as well. It would be an excellent time for Republicans and Democrats to come together on lowering taxes.

Maddow said this 2 weeks ago, and the ship was not here last week, so she was technically right.

The real crazy videos are from Fox News. Calling the virus nothing but the flu, and a hoax till just a few weeks ago. Then 1 week of serious talk, and then right on to lets die to fix the economy and be reborn on Easter, and 2 days later back to taking it seriously.

she said it on the 20th. Ship arrived the 27th.

kay

cryptoadam

Banned

Masks are coming to the USA. The way Trump answered the question you can tell. First he wants to get production up and health care providers supplied. Then everyone in USA will be wearing masks probably until there is a vaccine.

The problem isn't so much the defaults as the bets on the loans. These bets are financial products in themselves and they gain their value from trust in the growth of the individual market.
Once that growth is gone, the trust is gone and the value basically evaporates.
The government can't stop that by taking over defaulting loans or postponing foreclosures and bankruptcies. That would mean funding an entire virtual economy doesn't actually exist, just to keep the numbers up.
To default on a loan isn't just anything. It means that the investment hasn't worked out. The expected value hasn't been created, but the banking system has already sold that expected value and multiplied it and hid the risks.

In the 2008 housing bubble, loans were paid by refinancing. Meaning the increasing value of the real estate paid off the loans and interest. For a while, that hid the fact that many of these loans were given to people with little to no chance of ever paying them back. Once the growth in the market stopped, the high risk of these loans became apparent and the entire thing collapsed.

I am fairly certain that the same thing will happen to many markets now. The massive reliance on debt and the insane concept of selling bets on those debts is a system destined to crash and burn. It's a never-ending circle of bubble and bust because everyone is making good money deliberately inflating a market based on high-risk debt and then using the market growth to cover up the risks for a couple of years.

Extract a couple of billions in private profits until the thing comes down and millions lose their jobs and the taxpayer bails everyone out and finances the restart of the carousel.
You don't even go to jail for it.

Corona is just the straw that broke the camels back, but this economy wasn't healthy at all.

gamerMan

Germany is staying on pace with the US when accounting for populations.
Germany tested much earlier than the USA. Germany is showing when you test and who you test is just as important as how many you test. In USA, they only test people that need to be hospitalized.

Unlike USA, Germany tests even mild and asymptomatic cases. Germany might have a lot of cases but most of the cases are mild and are actually youngsters. The average age is 46. Studies show that young people are spreading it so if you can isolate them, you can minimize the people who get severe symptoms.

Germany also has more healthcare capacity than other countries. Still, it's hard to say if they have won the battle at this point.

Last edited:

gamerMan

Man that’s a lot of cases

593 dead. Yikes and the US death rate keeps going higher and higher as more cases are resolved. It is now 1.9%. So heartbreaking. These people aren't numbers. They are somebody's mom, dad, brother, or sister.

Last edited:

Malakhov

Banned
Good old witchunt started in our hometown. People calling the cops on young kids playing in the streets outside.

Gotta love this stuff

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Man, what the fuck. You said you checked it further, so I believed you and checked it out myself to be sure.

She said herself this clip is from March 20th. That's 10 days ago. 10 days is closer to one week than two weeks (your words).

She also said: "There's no sign they will be anywhere on site helping out anywhere in the country for weeks yet." And that was pure bullshit.

So, yeah, she was technically right that it didn't come by the end of last Friday or Saturday, which would have been the deadline for "next week" if she was saying that on March 20th. It did come the following Monday, though.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I ordered a small thing of masks so in case I need to go out I can feel at least somewhat better being I'm immune compromised. And naturally, the package was lost in transit. Or stolen with how in demand masks are. It was actually a miracle I found them in stock anywhere a couple weeks ago before they sold out. Oh well lol

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Damn, so we have more deaths from this than we did in 9/11 already. I wonder how high this is gonna get.

You wonder how bad a pandemic will be in a country with abysmal health care, basically no unemployment payments, few paid sick days, with a for profit health system at the core of it? The US are completely fucked.

All Hail C-Webb

Man, what the fuck. You said you checked it further, so I believed you and checked it out myself to be sure.

She said herself this clip is from March 20th. That's 10 days ago. 10 days is closer to one week than two weeks (your words).

She also said: "There's no sign they will be anywhere on site helping out anywhere in the country for weeks yet." And that was pure bullshit.

So, yeah, she was technically right that it didn't come by the end of last Friday or Saturday, which would have been the deadline for "next week" if she was saying that on March 20th. It did come the following Monday, though.

Yea, I looked at the video in his tweet. In that clip she says it's nonsense that the ship will be in NY harbor next week. They did an incredible job getting it here so quickly, but it's 10 days later, it's Monday, and you can't do a gotcha when the facts don't back you up.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yea, I looked at the video in his tweet. In that clip she says it's nonsense that the ship will be in NY harbor next week. They did an incredible job getting it here so quickly, but it's 10 days later, it's Monday, and you can't do a gotcha when the facts don't back you up.

Why are you ignoring the other thing she said?

"There's no sign they will be anywhere on site helping out anywhere in the country for weeks yet."

For what it's worth, I used to sometimes enjoy watching Maddow until that fucking tax return episode.

Last edited by a moderator:

All Hail C-Webb

Why are you ignoring the other thing she said?

"There's no sign they will be anywhere on site helping out anywhere in the country for weeks yet."

Because it wasn't in the video that the jackass posted.
I don't particularly like Maddow, but Don Jr fucked up here. What's new?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Ah, I see what you're saying. I thought you saw the full context and we're still commenting based on that, instead of limiting your comment to the tweet from Don Jr.

Yeah, Don Jr. does not get his gotcha since the thing he chose to highlight is technically right.

Maddow is still full of shit, so the sentiment to call her out I at least understand, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

All Hail C-Webb

Ah, I see what you're saying. I thought you saw the full context and we're still commenting based on that, instead of limiting your comment to the tweet from Don Jr.

Yeah, Don Jr. does not get his gotcha since the thing he chose to highlight is technically right.

Maddow is still full of shit, so the sentiment to call her out I at least understand, though.

The Trumps got her really good with the Tax return thing a few years ago. She was so excited, and then she literally helped them.

Breh, she's a doubtful, negative piece of shit. Plain and simp. Trump is moving heaven and earth getting shit done, and she's on the sideline saying NONSENSE. Don't be intellectually dishonest. SHE WOULD HAVE SAID NONSENSE IF HE SAID 10 DAYS. Maddow is straight up caught rooting against Trump doing what's he's doing, for political reasons.

Keh.

Breh, she's a doubtful, negative piece of shit. Plain and simp. Trump is moving heaven and earth getting shit done, and she's on the sideline saying NONSENSE. Don't be intellectually dishonest. SHE WOULD HAVE SAID NONSENSE IF HE SAID 10 DAYS. Maddow is straight up caught rooting against Trump doing what's he's doing, for political reasons.

Keh.
I can see Maddow saying someone can't bench 300, he proceeds to bench 299. She says SEE I TOLD YOU IT WAS UTTER NONSENSE. We don't have time for bloggers like her. Not now.

oatmeal

Banned
593 dead. Yikes and the US death rate keeps going higher and higher as more cases are resolved. It is now 1.9%. So heartbreaking. These people aren't numbers. They are somebody's mom, dad, brother, or sister.
These people aren’t numbers.

*gamerman posts image showing the thousands of expected deaths*

Kacho

This is all incredibly stupid but this comment gave me a good chuckle

https

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom