• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jezbollah

We're on track for more deaths than Italy. I remember the NHS advertising weeks ago that they were well prepared for an outbreak. Like fuck they were.

The thing about all these stats, is that they're completely misrepresentitive because of 1) lack of testing and 2) completely asymptomatic cases

From what Dr John Campbell said yesterday, its likely the real fatality rate is between 0.2 and 1.6% of actual cases.

We're only seeing a genuine picture of deaths here. Not a genuine picture of actual cases.

I really hope we can get 100,000 tests per day out there - its a high bar, but at least we will know for sure what the true stats are - and this will greatly improve what is a continous fog-of-war scenario here.

E-Cat

Trump Attacks Hospitals As Insatiable ‘Complainers’ Amid Crisis

President Donald Trump on Thursday criticized states and hospitals for requesting medical supplies to cope with the coronavirus pandemic, calling them “complainers” that should have stocked up on supplies “long before this crisis hit.”

“Some have insatiable appetites & are never satisfied,” Trump wrote in one of two tweets scolding states and health facilities that he claimed have already received “massive amounts of medical supplies” from the federal government.

The insults from Trump, who downplayed the pandemic for weeks before acknowledging the scope of the crisis in recent days, came after the nation’s top infectious disease expert said as many as 200,000 people in the U.S. may die from the virus. As of Thursday, there were more than 216,000 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the U.S. and 5,100 deaths.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has asked the Pentagon for 100,000 body bags in anticipation that funeral homes will be overwhelmed in the coming weeks.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Can confirm from 4 different hospitals in 4 different states from people right on the front lines of the ICUs, that they have stock (N95, etc), but the higher ups are ordering that it stays under lock and key and not distributing anything to their staff, as well as telling them to not wear masks while interviewing patients. Some are seemingly playing a pack-rat game with fucked up protocols in place.

Edit: I will add, only the COVID wards are getting them, but not the rest of the ICUs, surgery, or ER. If contamination comes in, they are fucked. These hospitals are hoarding right now.

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
This is a completely wrong way of thinking and in fact not logical and not correct. No matter whether less or more tests are done. If the number of cases goes up and not down, then a) there was no lockdown or b) too many people did not maintain the lockdown. The development of case numbers during a lockdown has nothing to do with testing. Sure, the numbers certainly don't drop to zero, but a lockdown reduces the number of active cases.
The topic "preventing a collapse of health care systems" refers solely to the peak, i.e. the period with the most active cases. Italy, for example, will soon leave this peak behind .What follows is a further decrease in active cases (daily recovered + deaths > daily number of new infections). How far the daily average number will decrease will vary from country to country. The peak, as currently in Italy, should and must never be reached again, otherwise you have done something wrong.
After a lockdown, several measures (social distancing, no large events, hygiene, ...) are still important, which together with contact tracing etc. keep the general number of cases at a low level. This is the only way it works and we will soon experience this almost everywhere in the world. The worst should be over in most countries in a few weeks. After that, the very hard work will begin to keep the case numbers low and at the same time avoid further lockdowns, although this will certainly not always be possible in epicenters and different measures will be implemented depending on the region within a country.

That's a good broad take on it, but we're nowhere near being able to pull it off.

Contact tracing relies on 2 main factors. Massive amounts of testing, and a low amount of cases. We have neither, and aren't really close.

What we're set up for now is to lower cases a bit, start to open up, and be right back in the same spot a few weeks/months later. But theres no coordination at the Federal level, so this will be happening at random times across the country.

The narrative will start to become that we can't contain it, and need to go back to living our lives. Then we add millions dying, to an economy in recession, and things go boom.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Well just got off my weekly conference call with corporate we are now discuss setting up makeshift morgue's and cohort's one of our buildings now as a confirmed resident case and two employee case's. We made the cut.

eot

Banned
Interesting study

Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) was first reported in Wuhan, China, and rapidly spread worldwide. Previous studies suggested cat could be a potential susceptible animal of SARS-CoV-2. Here, we investigated the infection of SARS-CoV-2 in cats by detecting specific serum antibodies. A cohort of serum samples were collected from cats in Wuhan, including 102 sampled after COVID-19 outbreak, and 39 prior to the outbreak. 15 of 102 (14.7%) cat sera collected after the outbreak were positive for the receptor binding domain (RBD) of SARS-CoV-2 by indirect enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA). Among the positive samples, 11 had SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies with a titer ranging from 1/20 to 1/1080. No serological cross-reactivity was detected between the SARS-CoV-2 and type I or II feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV). Our data demonstrates that SARS-CoV-2 has infected cat population in Wuhan during the outbreak.

tl;dr Wuhan cats got infected too

Dr.D00p

We're on track for more deaths than Italy.

Wouldn't surprise me, seeing as older people (in paticualr) in Italy are generally much fitter than older people in the UK, by virtue of their warmer climate and Med diet, therefore will be able to fight off the infection more successfully.

..eating a shitty fat & carb rich diet whilst downing booze like theres no tomorrow will catch up with you eventually.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The US is starting to look more and more like a third world country.

Hospitals Tell Doctors They’ll Be Fired If They Speak Out About Lack of Gear

For better or worse, it's always been like that here. If you talk about the inner working of your employer without permission, you will be reprimanded or dismissed.

GAMETA

Banned
Yes.

That is how it should work too. Our citizens come first. And yet we are helping.

If you want this threat contained, let the US get their shit in order, because the CCP fucked us all, then you vassal states will be next. Until then, well, I hope your politicians can get their shit together.

To be honest I don't think we, the so submissive vassal states, can expect much from our great leader, master and "friend", the US, at a time like this or in the near future...

Europe's already sucking China's balls... I don't think the US will accept a shift in world leadership, so you know, not a great time to be stealing from your vassals friends...

Because here's the think. Although CCP's a piece of shit, they mean business instead of the "give us that or we'll fuck you over" that the US loves to treat its friends with...

You can't constantly kick a dog and expect loyalty back... just saying...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
To be honest I don't think we, the so submissive vassal states, can expect much from our great leader, master and "friend", the US, at a time like this or in the near future...

Europe's already sucking China's balls... I don't think the US will accept a shift in world leadership, so you know, not a great time to be stealing from your vassals friends...

Because here's the think. Although CCP's a piece of shit, they mean business instead of the "give us that or we'll fuck you over" that the US loves to treat its friends with...

You can't constantly kick a dog and expect loyalty back... just saying...
lol so much for European Union stronk rhetoric.

If the USA's benevolence is considered "kicking a dog", well... the world economy is about to discover what life is like without the US "kicking it".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Hahaha you are one of the ones condemning China for shutting down health professionals during a crisis and now you're defending the same shit by your government. You can't make this shit up folks. "It's ok if we do it" lol

It's not the government shutting them down... it's their employer for breaching contract. A huge and massive difference.

Now, I still think it's terrible optics and bad policy to be firing doctors at a time like this.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting study

tl;dr Wuhan cats got infected too

I've been keeping my lads indoors due to vets being out of action and one of my beasts being somewhat accident-prone. That's starting to look like a really good decision. I don't want to lose my lovely cats :(

Fret Runner

2Mgajff.jpg

eot

Banned
We're only seeing a genuine picture of deaths here. Not a genuine picture of actual cases.
We're not seeing a genuine picture of deaths either, they're almost certainly much higher because many people who die at home or in nursing homes are never diagnosed.

I've been keeping my lads indoors due to vets being out of action and one of my beasts being somewhat accident-prone. That's starting to look like a really good decision. I don't want to lose my lovely cats :(

My family is suspicious that we already had this back in January when my wife was sick with all these symptoms for 10-14 days. During that time she went to urgent care twice and got put on 2 different rounds of antibiotics. My daughter and I got sick as well but not as severely as her. During this time one of our cats developed a kind of cough/wheeze as well. She still sometimes coughs when she purrs now but otherwise she has been back to herself since then.

I'd love an antibody test to be able to tell for sure.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
The study doesn't say anything about the severity of the disease in cats. It's more likely than not that it's less potent in cats though.

GAMETA

Banned
lol so much for European Union stronk rhetoric.

If the USA's benevolence is considered "kicking a dog", well... the world economy is about to discover what life is like without the US "kicking it".

"The US benevolence". That's a good one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"What? What was that? Venezuela is developing a nuclear program with their sticks and stones? Oh God, we better offer some democracy to them."

cryptoadam

Banned
Every country does this after a couple of weeks , it’s something that caught my eye. I think it’s to lower the numbers to not create a mass panic.

Since NY City is close to 20% of all the cases in the US not having numbers from them is going to skew US data.

All though I do agree that releasing the numbers maybe on a weekly basis might actually be a better option at this point. Having this scoreboard is kinda ghoulish.

If we had a running tally of car accidents or people who get regular Flu it would probably cause mass panic as well.

crowbrow

Banned
It's not the government shutting them down... it's their employer for breaching contract. A huge and massive difference.
Isn't the Chinese government the employer of the doctors that were shut down? I don't see that much of a difference. I think in both cases their employers were trying to do damage control which is normal in institutions, companies and governments. Of course there's a level of damage that you just can't control and this is when stuff like this happens.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The study doesn't say anything about the severity of the disease in cats. It's more likely than not that it's less potent in cats though.

Not taking any chances. As it is though they're in lockdown with us - as I mentioned one of our cats is an absolute dick-head who willfully tests the theory about cats having 9 lives and deliberately deos this when it's expensive (eg bank holidays) - with vets currently unavailable I'm keeping them indoors to avoid any disasters.

cryptoadam

Banned

I said it in the other thread. If Obama would of said HQ and Zpacks the media would of ended the lockdown given Obama a second nobel peace prize and lionized him as humanities savior. The drug would be given to people around the world and we would be over this Corona thing.

Is this a real cure for the virus? I still don't think so because I don't want to get my hopes up that this is over. But by my count about 2500 people have been treated on this and only 3 have died. Those are way better numbers than what we are dealing with now.

At this point I have a hard time trusting some medical professionals and media out there. Telling us not to wear masks and then doing everything in their power to undermine HQ + Zpacks.

crowbrow

Banned
"The US benevolence". That's a good one :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"What? What was that? Venezuela is developing a nuclear program with their sticks and stones? Oh God, we better offer some democracy to them."
The United States just made a huge increase in military presence just at the oceanic border with Venezuela. Bigger than anything seen in several decades. In the middle of this world wide crisis they first accuse Maduro of drug dealing and then move their ships close to the country they are trying to bully into submission. These fuckers haven't changed at all since the last century, same fucking bully tactics as ever, they preach against globalism right now but they actually want the globalism they dictate to others not one where China or others has equal influence on them. It's just the same attitude ever since the BS that was manifest destiny, they think they own the world.

Kacho

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/milita...tain-who-raised-alarm-about-covid-19-n1175351

Seems not only China doesn't like their professionals to talk about the spread of the disease and are willing to punish them for it.
Speaking at a news conference Thursday evening, Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Crozier was removed from his post because he sent the letter over "non-secure unclassified email" to a "broad array of people" rather than up the chain of command.

"I have no doubt in my mind that Captain Crozier did what he thought was in the best interest of the safety and well-being of his crew," Modly said. "Unfortunately, it did the opposite. It unnecessarily raised the alarm of the families of our sailors and Marines with no plans to address those concerns."
Sums up your entire posting history.
lmao

#Phonepunk#

Banned
I said it in the other thread. If Obama would of said HQ and Zpacks the media would of ended the lockdown given Obama a second nobel peace prize and lionized him as humanities savior. The drug would be given to people around the world and we would be over this Corona thing.

Is this a real cure for the virus? I still don't think so because I don't want to get my hopes up that this is over. But by my count about 2500 people have been treated on this and only 3 have died. Those are way better numbers than what we are dealing with now.
lol if this ends up being the cure and Trump was right all along

crowbrow

Banned
Speaking at a news conference Thursday evening, Acting Navy Secretary Thomas Modly said Crozier was removed from his post because he sent the letter over "non-secure unclassified email" to a "broad array of people" rather than up the chain of command.

"I have no doubt in my mind that Captain Crozier did what he thought was in the best interest of the safety and well-being of his crew," Modly said. "Unfortunately, it did the opposite. It unnecessarily raised the alarm of the families of our sailors and Marines with no plans to address those concerns."
I'm sure China thinks the Chinese doctor should have run things "up the chain of command" as well.

Joe T.

Yes, they talk about Coronavirus in that video.

"Selected moments from the Event 201 pandemic tabletop exercise hosted by The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in partnership with the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation on October 18, 2019, in New York, NY. The exercise illustrated the pandemic preparedness efforts needed to diminish the large-scale economic and societal consequences of a severe pandemic."

I don't believe in the official narrative anymore. There has been an agenda behind this.

Pair that with this from the month before:

A new independent report compiled at the request of the United Nations secretary-general warns that there is a “very real threat” of a pandemic sweeping the planet, killing up to 80 million people. A deadly pathogen, spread airborne around the world, the report says, could wipe out almost 5 percent of the global economy. And we’re not ready.

The ominous analysis was compiled by an independent panel, the Global Preparedness Monitoring Board (GPMB), which was assembled last year in response to a request from the office of the U.N. secretary-general, and convened jointly by the World Bank and World Health Organization (WHO). Co-chaired by the former WHO head and former Norwegian Prime Minister Gro Harlem Brundtland and the head of the international Red Cross, Elhadj As Sy, the GPMB commissioned expert studies and issued a scathing attack on the political, financial, and logistical state of pandemic preparedness affairs.

“Although national leaders respond to health crises when fear and panic grow strong enough, most countries do not devote the consistent energy and resources needed to keep outbreaks from escalating into disasters.”

With no intention of degrading the GPMB’s effort, I must sadly say that this core message has been shouted from the rafters many times before, with little discernable impact on tone-deaf political leaders, financial enterprises, or multinational institutions. There’s no reason to think this time will be any different. It’s hard to know what, shy of a genuinely devastating pandemic of killer influenza or some currently unknown microbe, will motivate global leaders to take microscopic threats seriously.

Creepy-Condescending-Wonka.jpg

GamingKaiju

At this point I have a hard time trusting some medical professionals and media out there. Telling us not to wear masks and then doing everything in their power to undermine HQ + Zpacks.

I agree the media's response to the outbreak has been shit. First it was "it's not a big deal the flu is way worse, worry about that." Then it was "Don't wear masks" and then they slowly changed their tune to "wearing a mask may help" and with all the "Trump is a racist for shutting down travel with China" I just don't trust legacy media now. I mean FFS youtubers are providing us with more information then we could ever hope for.

Even if HQ+Z does help in some ways then he'll still be Satan in the media's eyes.

cryptoadam

Banned
All this talk about hydroxychloroquine is pretty pointless though because there is a shortage of it. India is keeping the stock, we're now cancelling the prescription for people who were on this as a treatment except a few cases like pregnant women, juvenile arthritis etc...

Just like the masks what a shocker.

HQ is an old and cheap drug. Baer donated millions to the US. TEVA sent the US 10 million pills.

So let me guess we will here how HQ isn't effective, don't take it, only leave it for the doctors/health care officials. And in 3 weeks the US will be out bidding France and grabbing HQ pills of tarmacs.

cryptoadam

Banned
lol if this ends up being the cure and Trump was right all along

I am pretty sure if it does work that one they will try and prevent us from knowing and 2 all articles and videos of Trump talking about this will be scrubbed and Trumps name replaced with Obama or Hillary.

Kacho

AKA I have no argument for that. Ok then...
I would argue with you if you weren't an obvious troll. I only quoted your post to provide context for the situation. Anyone with a functioning brain can understand the difference between the situation here and the situation in China and I wasn't interested in engaging you. Hope that helps.

Watch the first 20 minutes of this video to watch this woman get totally pwned... by Chinese people! And then at 23 minutes... :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

Listening to this now. That shit about China denying foreigners in the country access to supplies and stuff is wild. Indians, Russians, etc. If any other country did that it would be the top news story everywhere, but in China this is expected and just business as usual. What an awful place. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

deafmedal

If we had a running tally of car accidents...
Oddly enough message boards on TX highways do keep a running tally of motor vehicle related deaths... they even compare the previous years numbers. I’m fairly convinced most people pay little mind to any road signage however. Most likely updating their status or some such.

This social distancing thing is great to reduce spread but some people just don't get it. My neighbours have lost their income, benefits line clogged up with thousands of people in the same position and we are instructed to 'stay home'. Bit sunny so off they go for the day again. Soon they will have a fine to pay to add to the problem.

The amount of traffic and people 'exercising' is bullshit!! I just don't get it. I see the same runners and dog walkers daily, the numbers are increasing and they are literally breathing the same air they are that close. Damn I'm annoyed and a little opposite of whatever the word for home sick right now.

Jooxed

Gold Member
If you still needed a reason to ignore Vox:

We now require all employees to wear them daily cook's, direct care staff for patients, maintenance everyone. However the shortages are terrible. Us Directors are allotted ONE mask a month. The support staff get one mask a week and direct care staff gets 1 mask per shift.

Today our plan for bodies is put them in an empty unit with the AC cranked up. depressing times indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom