• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liljagare

A family is getting frontpage coverage here in Sweden because they have declared to self quarantine after coming home from a extended stay in China. Though, nobody knew where they had been there in the first place.

I know people just want to get home, even after a regular vacation, but this, this is how we spread it.

Sakura

Ready in a few months evidently
Ready to begin human trials maybe. Then after the trials are finished, there is the regulatory approval, and then you have to manufacture a shit ton of it, if the disease is even still a pandemic at that point.

Ready in a few months evidently

If that's the San Diego company, I read some stuff that they've been around for 30 years or something now with zero products released, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

cryptoadam

Banned
In World War Z there is a chapter about a guy who talks about how they created a "cure" for the Zombie virus, which was all BS and them just trying to make a buck.

Be weary of anyone saying they have a "cure".

Also read World War Z, outside of the flesh eating part its kinda scary how there are a lot mirrors between that and Corona virus.

Didn't they create a vaccine for the zeka virus and a few others in the past?

I always follow the money..

The Risk of Chasing Headlines
It’s the latter effort that perhaps best informs near-term trading in INO stock. This is not the first time shares have soared based on speculative hopes that Inovio could ride to the rescue during a worrisome outbreak.

During the Zika crisis in 2016, for instance, INO stock went from under $9 to over $11 in less than three weeks. The company launched a test of a Zika vaccine in June of that year. By July the gains were gone; by the end of that year shares were below $7.

In the first quarter of 2019, Inovio did dose its first patient with a Zika treatment, according to the Form 10-K filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Results should arrive this year from a broader trial. But so far there’s been little progress, and with INO stock now below $4, no help for shareholders.

So yes, they did, theoretically come up with a Zika vaccine (and others) but it seems like none of them have actually been released yet. Zika was in 2016, and it's still not out.

Is it possible they do make a breakthrough and get something out immediately? I suppose it's always possible, but I'd say it's a lot less likely than some of the puff piece articles make it sound.

Ornlu

Banned
In World War Z there is a chapter about a guy who talks about how they created a "cure" for the Zombie virus, which was all BS and them just trying to make a buck.

Be weary of anyone saying they have a "cure".

Also read World War Z, outside of the flesh eating part its kinda scary how there are a lot mirrors between that and Corona virus.

You'll know shit got real when Isreal starts building a giant wall. :messenger_face_screaming:

Sub-Saharan Africa next month?

Maybe? Hard to tell. I saw a blurb a couple days ago that in January there were only 2 nations in Africa that could even test for COVID-19, but by now that's expanded to a handful, but still not all. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some already walking around with it.

How it will react outside of China is still a mystery though, as people are not tending to have as severe complications so far. Is it Wuhan just being a nightmare scenario? Is it actually acting differently elsewhere? Is it just a matter of time? Hard to damn tell.

Lanrutcon

Maybe? Hard to tell. I saw a blurb a couple days ago that in January there were only 2 nations in Africa that could even test for COVID-19, but by now that's expanded to a handful, but still not all. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some already walking around with it.

How it will react outside of China is still a mystery though, as people are not tending to have as severe complications so far. Is it Wuhan just being a nightmare scenario? Is it actually acting differently elsewhere? Is it just a matter of time? Hard to damn tell.

Here in South Africa we have an abundance of shack towns. Unpoliced makeshift towns with densely packed rural folks who barely have sanitation or access to healthcare. They share things like bathwater, kitchen utensils and linen. Those people travel around in minibuses, which usually pack as many people into the vehicle as they can, and gather at taxi ranks by the dozens. A single individual would hop between a number of these vehicles as they travel across the city. A single seat in any of those vehicles sees hundreds of those people per day. At the end of every working day, hundreds gather together at the taxi ranks waiting to catch a minibus to head home. Those people work at our gas stations, they look after gardens at business parks, they are the deliverymen and domestic workers.

If the virus reaches us it's going to overrun our major cities like a fucking wildfire.

I always follow the money..

So yes, they did, theoretically come up with a Zika vaccine (and others) but it seems like none of them have actually been released yet. Zika was in 2016, and it's still not out.

Is it possible they do make a breakthrough and get something out immediately? I suppose it's always possible, but I'd say it's a lot less likely than some of the puff piece articles make it sound.
Oof, I read about their vaccine for Corona the other day and felt some relief. Knowing it's probably hyperbole got me worried again.

Here in South Africa we have an abundance of shack towns. Unpoliced makeshift towns with densely packed rural folks who barely have sanitation or access to healthcare. They share things like bathwater, kitchen utensils and linen. Those people travel around in minibuses, which usually pack as many people into the vehicle as they can, and gather at taxi ranks by the dozens. A single individual would hop between a number of these vehicles as they travel across the city. A single seat in any of those vehicles sees hundreds of those people per day. At the end of every working day, hundreds gather together at the taxi ranks waiting to catch a minibus to head home. Those people work at our gas stations, they look after gardens at business parks, they are the deliverymen and domestic workers.

If the virus reaches us it's going to overrun our major cities like a fucking wildfire.

This thing hitting Africa would be catastrophic. I really hope the warmer climate will make it less contagious

China has a lot of investments in Africa it is only a matter of time, or ability for testing to know.

again Japan.

How do you get infected transfering a sick patient to the hospital when you know they have a deadly virus?

I don't think we need China's shifty ass numbers the damage is done we just have to watch the rest of the world to see how much of this spreads.

This thing hitting Africa would be catastrophic. I really hope the warmer climate will make it less contagious

here are a few South Africans in Wuhan weeks ago

people have to go home sometime and they are not the only Africans in China or Wuhan so it is only a matter of time

Last edited:

How do they handle regular flu outbreaks there now? Since you're on the other side of the equator, I imagine flu season for you would be something like May-August or something?

How do they handle regular flu outbreaks there now? Since you're on the other side of the equator, I imagine flu season for you would be something like May-August or something?

A google search said Flu Season in SA starts around end of April last year.
June is normal start.

When we take into account the numbers of deaths flu leaves behind around the world it makes you wonder why we panic over this virus.

But I wonder what it would be like to have a Coronavirus Season every year around the world killing just as many as the flu does.

June is normal start.

When we take into account the numbers of deaths flu leaves behind around the world it makes you wonder why we panic over this virus.

But I wonder what it would be like to have a Coronavirus Season every year around the world killing just as many as the flu does.

Yeah right now it's too soon to even begin trying to compare apples to apples (or oranges or cran-apples) since we just don't know enough. If this virus infected as many as the "normal" flu does every year, would it be worse? If we use Wuhan as an example, yes it'd be much worse, if we used outside of Wuhan as an example, it doesn't seem so bad.

I suppose even if it was "just" as bad as the normal flu, it'd be worse, since there is a % of people who are vaccinated against the regular flu, whereas this one has no vaccine at the moment, so it'd be worse, assuming it spread as far-and-wide, which we're hopefully trying to stop.

Yeah right now it's too soon to even begin trying to compare apples to apples (or oranges or cran-apples) since we just don't know enough. If this virus infected as many as the "normal" flu does every year, would it be worse? If we use Wuhan as an example, yes it'd be much worse, if we used outside of Wuhan as an example, it doesn't seem so bad.

I suppose even if it was "just" as bad as the normal flu, it'd be worse, since there is a % of people who are vaccinated against the regular flu, whereas this one has no vaccine at the moment, so it'd be worse, assuming it spread as far-and-wide, which we're hopefully trying to stop.

I don't even remeber the SARS thing being this much of a lock down. China is such a large place but people take how massive Africa as a whole is, with 54 different nations that don't always work well together. If we think China numbers are a mess I would not want to see what goes on with something like this hitting them. I want to go to Ghana this June I've never been to any nation in Africa or Europe I want to go to Japan too so I hate thinking of what shots I need to travel.

Right now I just wanna play some Animal Crossing New Horizons so I won't have to think of real world problems.

My issue is I am one of those folks who is required to take a flu shot each season, had to fight for my life many times due to getting my lungs wrecked by different viruses over the years. And that is just from having Sickle Cell causing my immune system to be a bit weaker than most. I keep an eye on stuff like this because I know long weeks in ICU are rough and want to avoid this shit if I can.

If you are a healthy person I doubt this should be a big deal for you, Nature has so many things that want to kill us as humans smh if you worried about it all you would not leave your bedroom

Last edited:

Sejan

June is normal start.

There’s a lot we don’t know right now. The biggest problem with flu is that it mutates so quickly that you can become immune to it one year and be susceptible to it again. A flu shot given at the beginning of the season may be ineffective by the end. I haven’t seen any news about how quickly or slowly this virus mutates. If it is relatively slow then a vaccine might protect you for a decade before you need a booster shot. If it is quick then it could lead to annual CV seasons. If it mutates incredibly slowly, the virus could theoretically be eradicated by a push for vaccines similarly to small pox. At this point, the studies are just beginning. We don’t know the answers to these questions.

bitbydeath

Not to sound dramatic but how does something like this get stopped?

Even a cure will only go so far until they get reinfected and at the ease and rate it spreads it seems impossible to contain it.

What the shit!! :messenger_fearful:

Not to sound dramatic but how does something like this get stopped?

Even a cure will only go so far until they get reinfected and at the ease and rate it spreads it seems impossible to contain it.
With a vaccine. Until then, though... :(

But I just read that the WHO said COVID-19 is controlled outside of china, so no need to worry :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:

+2420 new cases in Hubei
+139 new deaths

Cases is lower than expected, deaths is right on track to continue to rise.

+514 serious cases

Since I'd guess most serious cases turn into deaths, since this number is still climbing we've likely not reached peak death yet.

Last edited:

At 04:00 on February 14th, 31 provinces (autonomous regions, municipalities) and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps reported 2641 newly diagnosed cases, 849 severe cases, and 143 death cases (139 in Hubei and 2 in Henan). Cases, one each in Beijing and Chongqing), and 2277 suspected cases were added.

On the same day, 1373 new cases were cured and discharged, and 30081 close contacts were lifted from medical observation.

As of 24:00 on February 14, according to reports from 31 provinces (autonomous regions and municipalities) and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, there were 56,873 confirmed cases (of which, 11053 were severe cases), a total of 8,096 discharged cases were cured, and 1,523 died. A total of 66,492 confirmed cases have been reported and 8969 suspected cases have been reported. A total of 513,183 close contacts were tracked, and 169,039 close contacts were still in medical observation.

2420 new cases were confirmed in Hubei (1923 in Wuhan), 912 cases were cured and discharged (486 in Wuhan), 139 deaths were added (107 in Wuhan), and 48175 confirmed cases (34289 in Wuhan). Among them, there were 10152 severe cases (8335 cases in Wuhan). A total of 4,774 discharged patients were cured (2502 in Wuhan), a total of 1457 deaths (1123 in Wuhan), and a total of 54406 confirmed cases (37,914 in Wuhan). There were 1216 suspected cases (507 in Wuhan) and 5534 suspected cases (2265 in Wuhan).

A total of 84 confirmed cases were reported from Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan: 56 cases in Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (1 case discharged, 1 death), 10 cases in Macau Special Administrative Region (3 cases discharged), and 18 cases in Taiwan (1 case discharged).

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
pJkEXsDl.jpg

little disheartening to see stuff like this.

pJkEXsDl.jpg

little disheartening to see stuff like this.

A bit. I can see it though. We thought about Chinese food but opted against it, only a little bit because of all this nonsense but it's still there.

I have Coworkers from China and they were over there around Christmas time and obviously are back and fine but I was a bit suspicious when this first all started coming out. Especially since the virus tentacles have reached out to so many places.

I think when all is said and done there will be a huge hit on China's tourism economy, not to mention all the manufacturing etc. Their best hope is that the world NEEDS them to go back to making cheap shit.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
A bit. I can see it though. We thought about Chinese food but opted against it, only a little bit because of all this nonsense but it's still there.

I have Coworkers from China and they were over there around Christmas time and obviously are back and fine but I was a bit suspicious when this first all started coming out. Especially since the virus tentacles have reached out to so many places.

I think when all is said and done there will be a huge hit on China's tourism economy, not to mention all the manufacturing etc. Their best hope is that the world NEEDS them to go back to making cheap shit.

I drive a little Lyft on the side. Back in mid Janurary I picked up a college aged kid and his mom at the airport who are Chinese. I asked where are they from, he was enamored with my car. He said he was from Wuhan. He goes to UT, here in Knoxville. This was before the virus was making big news.

About a week later I heard of the seriousness of things in Wuhan. I’ll admit I was a little freaked out, but after a month now I’m not dead ;p

Dthomp

I drive a little Lyft on the side. Back in mid Janurary I picked up a college aged kid and his mom at the airport who are Chinese. I asked where are they from, he was enamored with my car. He said he was from Wuhan. He goes to UT, here in Knoxville. This was before the virus was making big news.

About a week later I heard of the seriousness of things in Wuhan. I’ll admit I was a little freaked out, but after a month now I’m not dead ;p

Not dead....YET ;) Too Soon?

Every week the incubation period seems to increase by a week, so you never know, but glad you aren't affected. This stuff spreading in the US is legit a terrifying nightmare to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom