• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mistake

I drive a little Lyft on the side. Back in mid Janurary I picked up a college aged kid and his mom at the airport who are Chinese. I asked where are they from, he was enamored with my car. He said he was from Wuhan. He goes to UT, here in Knoxville. This was before the virus was making big news.

About a week later I heard of the seriousness of things in Wuhan. I’ll admit I was a little freaked out, but after a month now I’m not dead ;p
you’re pretty lucky, one of my coworkers is from wuhan, one of her relatives got symptoms and she and her husband probably have it now.

lyan

When we take into account the numbers of deaths flu leaves behind around the world it makes you wonder why we panic over this virus.
it's not just death rate that matters, for one it can cause permanent lung damage just like SARS. Then there is also the problem of overloading the healthcare systems in view of how contagious it seems to be.

sinnergy

it's not just death rate that matters, for one it can cause permanent lung damage just like SARS. Then there is also the problem of overloading the healthcare systems in view of how contagious it seems to be.

Ding ding ding.

And I hope the rumor that you could get it twice is not true ...
In my opinion it’s just a matter of time we are starting to see WW outbreaks , I’ll give it 2 - 4 weeks.

Last edited:

Agreed doing permanent damage would make this a lot scarier

Thaedolus

Chinese banks disinfect banknotes to stop spread of coronavirus
Used notes are being sealed and stored for up to 14 days after being disinfected, central bank says

That seems....odd? The incubation time in humans is 14 days, how the hell does that correlate to quarantining cash money that long? Viruses can live far longer than that outside of a host

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Not to sound dramatic but how does something like this get stopped?

Even a cure will only go so far until they get reinfected and at the ease and rate it spreads it seems impossible to contain it.
It will mutate to become milder or we all get it and develop antibodies that will make it milder or a vaccine is developed that makes it milder.

82% of people have mild cases and that number might even be way higher and include really mild cases.

This virus isn't a death sentence.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Used notes are being sealed and stored for up to 14 days after being disinfected, central bank says
So this is needed? Holy shit ... must be highly contagious.

I am beginning to find the contagiousness very strange, as contagious as flu/diarrhea/measles... it’s starting to almost look like a man made virus.

Breakage

So this is needed? Holy shit ... must be highly contagious.

I am beginning to find the contagiousness very strange, as contagious as flu/diarrhea/measles... it’s starting to almost look like a man made virus.
It seems they are taking a “let's cover everything in disinfectant” approach.

I feel misled I was made to believe China did not use cash and you needed an app to pay for most things.

From article:
"But it is unclear how wide an impact the central bank’s disinfection work will have, with increasing numbers of Chinese people preferring mobile payments over cash in recent years.

In 2017, nearly three-quarters of Chinese respondents told an Ipsos survey they could survive a whole month without using more than 100 yuan in cash."

yup, just more useless distraction, just goverment pretending to do something important

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Nature is a lot better at making viruses than we are. We can't look at a virus' genome and predict its behaviour and more than we can predict the effect of anti-virals (I'd wager the first problem is a lot harder actually).

So the ship was lying about not having cases smh

good guys Cambodia got suckered and they don't really have the means to take on this time of thing

meanwhile Japan ship

This is good because these people are just trapped without real help and numbers keep going up everyday

ouch they get another 2 weeks when they come to the US

Last edited:
Damn that's depressing news from Cambodia. :(

Man... things are still going slow outside of China but I'm afraid this might explode at any moment. Every contry needs to be really careful now.

The variable incubation period is a killer. Right now you almost need to put people in solitary for a month to make sure they're unknowingly infected. That's pretty impossible for a whole damn cruise ship though.

Of course since these people got out in the wild we now have to wait up to another three weeks to see the results.

It's such a slow burn it becomes really easy for people to slip through the cracks.

Wonder if we'll ever get a count of all the people who died in Wuhan during the virus period. It's gotta be big. Impossible to get an accurate infected count though after the fact.

not counting those who died at home is huge at 61% of deaths. That is very clear we will never have a real understanding of the numbers

we should double the official totals of deaths in this case because that would be much closer to the truth smh

Stouffers

Banned
The variable incubation period is a killer. Right now you almost need to put people in solitary for a month to make sure they're unknowingly infected. That's pretty impossible for a whole damn cruise ship though.

Of course since these people got out in the wild we now have to wait up to another three weeks to see the results.

It's such a slow burn it becomes really easy for people to slip through the cracks.
Right, but in 2 months it’ll be warm enough where all of this will be moot.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Im still looking for reports of non-Asians getting this. So the person on the cruise ship that was American, was Asian-American.

Even cases in Canada/US haven't blown up like in Wuhan. If this was so dangerous why hasn't it caught on in Europe or North America yet? Its not like we don't have constant contract with China.

Its just odd that this is a huge pandemic in Wuhan, and then the rest of China where they are locking down 100's of millions of people, but in the West event he limited cases have been kept under control.

So either the West has been so amazing at containing this and keeping it under wraps and the CCP acted like total shit, or this is more localized and something is keeping it from spreading to non asians.

Son Tofu

Banned
pJkEXsDl.jpg

little disheartening to see stuff like this.
That's Bullshit. I just went to my local china town (I actually live right around the corner from it) and got some good shrimp fried rice.

Was it ever not? But since it only seems to kill old Asian people it's basically the Chinese version of the flu (the flu is non-existant in China, it kills 150 people a year compared to dozens of thousands in the US).

Look into that, I read articles that say China doesn't mark the death down due to the flu, they write in the symptom that caused the death or the preexisting condition, so it muddys the actual data.

Ma-Yuan

I think Japan is fucked too.

My interest in this virus is also high since plan a family vacation in Bangkok visiting my wife's relatives and then one week Japan in April. I think Japan is not gonna happen let's see when Thailand falls ><

lyan

Look into that, I read articles that say China doesn't mark the death down due to the flu, they write in the symptom that caused the death or the preexisting condition, so it muddys the actual data.
Likely the case, a brief search suggest that Hong Kong alone reports like a few dozen flu deaths yearly when they are <1% of the population with a relatively first class health care system in the country.

Liljagare

It will mutate to become milder or we all get it and develop antibodies that will make it milder or a vaccine is developed that makes it milder.

82% of people have mild cases and that number might even be way higher and include really mild cases.

This virus isn't a death sentence.

60-80 % of humankind are currently the calculated spread, at a 2% deathrate, it will probarly peak during next years flu season.

Current statement from Karolinska, one of the best research hospitals in the world.

Hope they are wrong this time, but they nailed SARS and H1N1, alongside predicting the current massive outbreak of Dengue in Latin south america. They have had 100% accuracy since 1996.

I don't know if many people outside this thread thinks about how 'Not Normal' this is

80 cities shut down in China for over a month.

No public events, no malls, no movies, no travelling, no work, no school
Most are looking at this from the outside and expect it all to go away in a few weeks but a few weeks ago most expected this would be over

If this is normal, any guesses of what the next level is that is not so normal?

Ornlu

Banned
Is this true? I tried to source it on google but didn’t come up with anything.

China doesn't count flu deaths as flu deaths. If you don't directly die of the flu symptoms themselves, they don't count it. It's be like if you got shot in the gut, then died of blood loss...China wouldn't count that as a "gunshot death" but as someone dying from blood loss. The flu is the flu. The mortality per # of cases should be comparable.

Liberty4all

Banned
China doesn't count flu deaths as flu deaths. If you don't directly die of the flu symptoms themselves, they don't count it. It's be like if you got shot in the gut, then died of blood loss...China wouldn't count that as a "gunshot death" but as someone dying from blood loss. The flu is the flu. The mortality per # of cases should be comparable.

I was referring to regular flu ... the previous poster indicated Chinese basically don’t catch regular flu ? Edit: reread what you posted. Huh learned something new today

Last edited:
I don't know if many people outside this thread thinks about how 'Not Normal' this is

80 cities shut down in China for over a month.

No public events, no malls, no movies, no travelling, no work, no school
Most are looking at this from the outside and expect it all to go away in a few weeks but a few weeks ago most expected this would be over

If this is normal, any guesses of what the next level is that is not so normal?

If this keeps up.. We should see the results on store shelves in the next couple of months. Chinese made junk shortages will be felt by almost everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom