• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mihos

Gold Member
Generally I don't know if it matters.

If someone goes and gets tested for COVID-19, picks up their results and it says they're positive, and on the drive home to self-quarantine they get in a car accident and die. Should that be counted as a COVID-19 death? No, I don't think so. Would it? I have no idea, but I don't think so.

If someone with cancer gets COVID-19, and it severely hastens their exit from this world, I think it's fair to say the death is a result of COVID-19. Would they/Could they have died ANYWAY? Maybe? It's possible, but then again so is anything.

I think if COVID-19 plays a part in the demise, it should be counted. It'd be nice to have a more granular count, but not sure that's possible in the worst hit places. It'd also be nice to get a count of people who died from other things, but directly due to the COVID-19 outbreak (heart attack and couldn't get help fast enough due to overwhelmed hospitals etc).

If they list Covid-19 as being a factor, then it qualifies for the government reimbursement/special programs and higher counts move the region higher in priority for receiving resources. It is to the point that any death by pneumonia is listed as Covid-19 even if there wasn't a test performed.

Last edited:
What's questionable about it?

It was a joke about the comment last page with all of the western death numbers being "questionable" and maybe Chiner was the only truthful one.

Less calls cuz they gave up trying the get through.
I think people are just giving up knowing they dont get help anyways.

I would guess things hopefully have calmed down some. I bet a lot of people were panic calling at the peak.

If they list Covid-19 as being a factor, then it qualifies for the government reimbursement/special programs and higher counts move the region higher in priority for receiving resources. It is to the point that any death by pneumonia is listed as Covid-19 even if there wasn't a test performed.

While true, and may in fact be taking place.. do you think that is happening in every country in the world? In every state? We have so many detailed numbers from across the Globe, and they're all generally pretty similar. I just find it hard to believe "everyone" is faking it for extra money.

Last edited:

Mihos

Gold Member
While true, and may in fact be taking place.. do you think that is happening in every country in the world? In every state? We have so many detailed numbers from across the Globe, and they're all generally pretty similar. I just find it hard to believe "everyone" is faking it for extra money.

Not everyone, but not 'nobody' either. Some like China are probably doing the opposite for whatever motive.

Last edited:

I don't know if there is a one-size fits all answer to COVID-19, I think some things are universal (social distancing, wash yo damn hands, etc), but there are a lot of factors that may only apply to a certain country/culture that may not work everywhere. I think it's OK for countries to try and do their own thing within reason, and we'll see how well it works out in the end.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Based on these WH press corps questions, they're going to impeach Trump if he doesn't forcibly test all 320 million people in the US against their will.
oh yeah the irony of it all

after years of hearing "He's a fascist dictator who wants to overrule the law!" now it's "Why aren't you forcibly locking all citizens in their houses and demanding involuntary needle sticking for everyone?"

Last edited:

Wwg1wga

To beat COVID-19, we need contact tracing apps.But does that mean sacrificing our right to privacy?
Here's a comic explaining how we can beat COVID-19 *and* Big Brother!

3rMZCk1.jpg

It's "funny" in a way..

New York has more deaths per 1M population than any other COUNTRY on Earth (outside of San Marino which is tiny).

California is ranked right about even with Canada, numbers are very similar. Interesting since CA and CAnada almost have identical population #s too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
From a question in today's White House press conference to the Surgeon General in regards to higher death rates in blacks and other ethnic minorities:
There are some people online who are offended by that language and the idea that you're saying that behaviors might be leading to these high death rates.
This is what is wrong with the modern left and intersectional ideology. They want to completely remove individual behavior from the responsibility equation and instead blame everything on systemic inequalities. It's just disgusting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Less calls cuz they gave up trying the get through.
I think people are just giving up knowing they dont get help anyways.
you seem to be a very glass half empty person.. i’ve noticed with all of your posts they tend to have a negative tone (i haven’t read all of them but the ones that i’ve read are)
i know we are in some drastic times.. but please save your negativity when when have negative facts
we don’t know why 911 calls are down but based on the recent trend of lower hospitalizations, it would be logical that less infections are the cause
don’t mean to tone police or lecture, but it would help to wait for the facts before jumping to the worst conclusions sometimes

Nymphae

Banned

This sounds more than a little ridiculous. No wonder pneumonia deaths are way down and covid deaths are up when they juke numbers.

MN Sen. and Dr. Jensen said that he received a 7 page document from the MN Department of Health advising him to fill out death certificates with a diagnosis of #COVID-19 whether the person actually died from COVID-19 or not.

aSwq8kH.jpg

ManaByte

Did those models take social distancing and lock down protocols into consideration?

They claimed to and they used it as justification for keeping a lockdown. There are barely over 1000 cases in the county with about 28 deaths. So in order to hit 2000 by Sunday cases would have to double tomorrow and everyone would have to die the next day.

Liljagare

Trump guy claims USA would have 2 million dead by now, if USA had done the same as Sweden when it comes to Corona.

Trump claims Sweden is suffering immensly, no, we're not, we are actually doing rather ok, people are using common sense to a extent I haven't seen before, and for the larger part, life goes on.

I see a huge difference in the spreading part of the virus, in Sweden, if you're sick, you stay home, since you get paid for it. Probarly helped with calming the initial spread. Sweden has some of the highest rate of people living by themselves, in their own homes, probarly helped too.

(though yeah, I don't trust Sweden's politicians either, I think we just got lucky, because of the healthcare system, and that Swedes are always naturarly socially distant.9 )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Trump guy claims USA would have 2 million dead by now, if USA had done the same as Sweden when it comes to Corona.

Trump claims Sweden is suffering immensly, no, we're not, we are actually doing rather ok, people are using common sense to a extent I haven't seen before, and for the larger part, life goes on.

I see a huge difference in the spreading part of the virus, in Sweden, if you're sick, you stay home, since you get paid for it. Probarly helped with calming the initial spread. Sweden has some of the highest rate of people living by themselves, in their own homes, probarly helped too.

(though yeah, I don't trust Sweden's politicians either, I think we just got lucky, because of the healthcare system, and that Swedes are always naturarly socially distant.9 )

He said that? Yeah, that's probably a bunch of bullshit.

Then again, looking at New York's numbers with social distancing... it quite possible could have been far worse.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One thing that annoyed me was finally the question was asked about HCPs saying they are not getting the PPE they need (due to the horrible protocols in place at the hospitals and care centers themselves), and Trump misunderstood and took it as another attack on them not providing the governors with the equipment needed.

FFS, that was the QUESTION I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR. And the media has been beating him up on every turn, that finally it gets asked and taken the wrong way and nothing was answered and moved on.

Yes, we know you are providing said equipment, the governors have said equipment, but the hospital directors and their asinine protocols are not getting them to the HCPs on duty properly. They are literally keeping them LOCKED UP from them.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Called my dentist emergency number since my tooth has hurt for 2 weeks and is getting worse. He gave me some advice on the phone and said he would call me back in a week or two. They can't see anyone currently since they don't have any N95 masks left. It's been a month and we still haven't figured out how to make enough. In WW2 we pumped out all those tanks, planes, bomb and ammo. Today we struggle with paper masks.

Jtibh

Banned
you seem to be a very glass half empty person.. i’ve noticed with all of your posts they tend to have a negative tone (i haven’t read all of them but the ones that i’ve read are)
i know we are in some drastic times.. but please save your negativity when when have negative facts
we don’t know why 911 calls are down but based on the recent trend of lower hospitalizations, it would be logical that less infections are the cause
don’t mean to tone police or lecture, but it would help to wait for the facts before jumping to the worst conclusions sometimes
I am a person that has some insight info through my work connections ( my business involves being in contact with some big players in the area) as well as what i hear is going on in the local hospital through my wife.

Sorry to bring you the hard truth but you just have to live with it.

Fact is a lot of people dont bother calling in as they are just told to stay home and self isolate. Thats a fact based on some friends that went through this.
One of my clients felt a bit sick and had a mild cough. He called the hotline they told him he has to stay home and if he leaves the house he will get a 750 THOUSAND dollar fine.
Now he is regreting ever calling.
I could go on and on.

And yes dont lecturre me or police me . Its called freedom of speech and you dont have to agree with me and you can move on or hide my posts but yeah let me be how i wanna be.

And fyi i also post some funny stuff to lighten up the mood so i try to balance the bad with the good.

And also my last post i said it looks like we are out of the woods and be soon back to normal since we only had yesterday 20 something new cases and numbers are on the low end for a few days now.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Called my dentist emergency number since my tooth has hurt for 2 weeks and is getting worse. He gave me some advice on the phone and said he would call me back in a week or two. They can't see anyone currently since they don't have any N95 masks left. It's been a month and we still haven't figured out how to make enough. In WW2 we pumped out all those tanks, planes, bomb and ammo. Today we struggle with paper masks.

I don't think we've used the DPA for masks other than 3M (we don't even know if it was actually used), who are making masks anyway.
I would say that our federal response has been anemic, but that would be an insult to those battling anemia.

Jtibh

Banned

Los Angeles is requiring people to wear masks in their own homes. The hospital system isn’t overrun and they extend this until May 15th.

And who is policing that? I would just close all shades and protect my privacy.
What a bunch of bullshit.

Here is whats in canada and to show how corrupt our goverment is

Fine for road blockade $0 Fine for illegal entry into Canada $0 Fine for flying to Canada sick with Covid-19 $0 Fine for blocking rail traffic $0 Fine for SNC Lavalin investigation interference $0
Fine for standing too close to a friend $1200

I feel this is getting out of controll and the whole world will turn into one big police state where you have to ask for permission to even fart.

Techies

Sweden has taken the best approach so far in my opinion.
Lockdown really isn't needed anymore, it's the awareness that lockdown has caused that brings the numbers down, not the lockdown itself.

ManaByte

And who is policing that? I would just close all shades and protect my privacy.
What a bunch of bullshit.

Here is whats in canada and to show how corrupt our goverment is

Fine for road blockade $0 Fine for illegal entry into Canada $0 Fine for flying to Canada sick with Covid-19 $0 Fine for blocking rail traffic $0 Fine for SNC Lavalin investigation interference $0
Fine for standing too close to a friend $1200

I feel this is getting out of controll and the whole world will turn into one big police state where you have to ask for permission to even fart.

They‘re claiming if they lift the lockdown 96% of Los Angeles would get infected based on their model. So they’re not going to lift it ever. They got tyrannical police state power now and they’ll never give it up without a fight.

Jtibh

Banned
They‘re claiming if they lift the lockdown 96% of Los Angeles would get infected based on their model. So they’re not going to lift it ever. They got tyrannical police state power now and they’ll never give it up without a fight.
And thats my fear right there.

I have friends in eastern europe and they are reporting me that their country is on full lockdown and now for easter no one is allowed to leave their homes at all.
This is normal in most places like italy or spain france etc but this country has 900 cases total and 70 deaths or so mostly from elderly homes.
So you see no real reason to force a full lockdown on people but its all about controll for the goverment.

Liljagare

Old remedy, when ibuprofen and alvedon doesn't help, guess it's nice to know stuff, buy some cloves, chew them up, and stick the mush around the aching tooth. They help with the pain, But, they will not do jack shit if you need a root canal. Works for everything up to that state, so keep an eye on it, and go to a ER checkup if you get a fever/it gets worse.

Contains the same substance as alot of painrelievers, tons are made from them.

"Cloves have long been used in home remedies to treat for toothache pain. The eugenol that provides the flavor of cloves is also a pain-reliever and can help relieve inflammation. Look for clove oil (or oil of cloves) in the tooth care section of a drug store. Be aware that it can be toxic for children, so keep any clove oil out of reach and use only child-safe, diluted preparations on children. Read the directions carefully and consult your dentist or pediatrician if you have any doubt as to the safety.
"

This has helped me twice, when I had fillings fall out, both times on a saturday evening.. :p

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Population
• 31 January 2020 census10,333,456[9] (88th)
• Density23/km2 (59.6/sq mi) (198th)

Seriously they have a low population and low density. If there isn't an event drawing people to one spot, they are already social distancing.

Total population and density matters...
Obviously, but have take into consideration how most of the people are on the south, with large portion of the country being pretty baren?

Jtibh

Banned
Population

Seriously they have a low population and low density. If there isn't an event drawing people to one spot, they are already social distancing.

I am not familiar with the swedens population per city or territory but if i apply the same logic to canada...its 4 people per square kilometer.

So what i am getting at is that even though its 4 per sq kilometer the reality is you have the whole populatin of canada in a handfull of cities and more than 70 percent of the country is un habitet.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
I am a person that has some insight info through my work connections ( my business involves being in contact with some big players in the area) as well as what i hear is going on in the local hospital through my wife.

Sorry to bring you the hard truth but you just have to live with it.

Fact is a lot of people dont bother calling in as they are just told to stay home and self isolate. Thats a fact based on some friends that went through this.
One of my clients felt a bit sick and had a mild cough. He called the hotline they told him he has to stay home and if he leaves the house he will get a 750 THOUSAND dollar fine.
Now he is regreting ever calling.
I could go on and on.

And yes dont lecturre me or police me . Its called freedom of speech and you dont have to agree with me and you can move on or hide my posts but yeah let me be how i wanna be.

And fyi i also post some funny stuff to lighten up the mood so i try to balance the bad with the good.

And also my last post i said it looks like we are out of the woods and be soon back to normal since we only had yesterday 20 something new cases and numbers are on the low end for a few days now.
anecdotal evidence is not hard facts; all signs point to less people getting infected in nyc...
lower hospitalizations, lower intubations, even less police officers being sick..
our governor has even said we are being successful flattening the curve
all those combined make me think there are less 911 calls because there are less critical infections.. i’d argue that evidence is stronger than your anecdotal evidence of less people calling because they are disenfranchised with calling 911

Liljagare

I am not familiar with the swedens population per city or territory but if i apply the same logic to canada...its 4 people per square kilometer.

So what i am getting at is that even though its 4 per sq kilometer the reality is you have the whole populatin of canada in a handfull of cities and more than 70 percent of the country is un habitet.

Naw, Sweden is really habitable all over it's reaches, so so far, we have a lot of the population living country side. Though, as in most nations, alot of young folks want to get to the big cities, but still, even inland far north Sweden is pretty nice to live in, for the most part. We have Stockholm, Gothenburg, and maybe Malmö, as our biggest cities, think they fill 10-12% of the populace in there.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Population

Population and density matter, but Sweden has horrible numbers compared to similar and surrounding countries, and unlike those countries, it's likely to get worse from here.

How come? We are doing perfectly well over here in Sweden, most business run on as normal.

If you measure perfection in dead bodies, then Sweden will be the most perfect.
But that's not how I look at it. I think they will be changing their strategy in the next 2 weeks.

Liljagare

Sweden has taken the best approach so far in my opinion.
Lockdown really isn't needed anymore, it's the awareness that lockdown has caused that brings the numbers down, not the lockdown itself.

I think it works, because you also have to think like a Swede.

If I don't know you, I am sure as fuck not going to say "G'day, How are you doing, Have a good day" or such.

I might utter a thank you, if someone helps me.

The Swedish mentality is just different from most nations, not social, at all. I got a shock when I lived in the US and people greeted me everywhere, on the sidewalks, in the stores, at work. We just don't do that, and, family above work, allthough, that is slowly vanishing too, since Sweden wants to be like the US, since, you make the big bucks over there, they say.. :p

Liljagare

Population and density matter, but Sweden has horrible numbers compared to similar and surrounding countries, and unlike those countries, it's likely to get worse from here.

If you measure perfection in dead bodies, then Sweden will be the most perfect.
But that's not how I look at it. I think they will be changing their strategy in the next 2 weeks.

Yeah, we haven't reached 900 yet? How are we winning?

At the start I was doubting the strategy, but our curves are rather flat, and we are dealing with the situation just fine. So, yeah, I think for Sweden, this is working. Naturarly, it might change if something was missed, but, if not, well..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom