• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtibh

Banned
anecdotal evidence is not hard facts; all signs point to less people getting infected in nyc...
lower hospitalizations, lower intubations, even less police officers being sick..
our governor has even said we are being successful flattening the curve
all those combined make me think there are less 911 calls because there are less critical infections.. i’d argue that evidence is stronger than your anecdotal evidence of less people calling because they are disenfranchised with calling 911
So my personal experience with people in high positons vs what they lie to you on tv like the WHO did for months or how they were pushing the narritive of the flu being worse etc till it was too late?
I dont listen to my goverment as they are not my friend and never had my best interest in mind.
Would they have taken this serious we wouldnt be where we are today.

Now i hope its true and as i said here the cases are very but very low but i can at least confirm its factual.
How ? My wife has not much work at the moment as in she goes to work but there is nothing to do as the building got emptied in anticipation of covid patients.
And so far her unit got none.
Now they are sending some of the staff home.
All this is a good sign of better days to come soon.

Hey i want this over just like anyone else trust me.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, we haven't reached 900 yet? How are we winning?

At the start I was doubting the strategy, but our curves are rather flat, and we are dealing with the situation just fine. So, yeah, I think for Sweden, this is working. Naturarly, it might change if something was missed, but, if not, well..

I sure hope so. It's going to be really interesting to see how the different approaches played out and I think we'd all be happy to see low death numbers from anywhere.

Liljagare

I sure hope so. It's going to be really interesting to see how the different approaches played out and I think we'd all be happy to see low death numbers from anywhere.

That is something that is actually not talked about, in the end, we all are told the death numbers will be about the same, percentage wise, but Sweden's method is aiming towards having a somewhat normal society left in the end, not having 20% unemployed due to this, will also help with alot of secondary deaths, ie, suicides, homicides, etc, due to people loosing their job, homes and such. If pragmatism was a invention, I am sure it would have been a Swedish one.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Naw, Sweden is really habitable all over it's reaches, so so far, we have a lot of the population living country side. Though, as in most nations, alot of young folks want to get to the big cities, but still, even inland far north Sweden is pretty nice to live in, for the most part. We have Stockholm, Gothenburg, and maybe Malmö, as our biggest cities, think they fill 10-12% of the populace in there.
I drove up to Torne älv last summer and into Finland, and I was a bit surprised how much more alive the Finish side felt. Also, tbh there aren't many cities inland in the north of Sweden, they're almost all on the coast.

Liljagare

I drove up to Torne älv last summer and into Finland, and I was a bit surprised how much more alive the Finish side felt. Also, tbh there aren't many cities inland in the north of Sweden, they're almost all on the coast.

Everyone knows Finland doesn't exist. :p

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
That is something that is actually not talked about, in the end, we all are told the death numbers will be about the same, percentage wise, but Sweden's method is aiming towards having a somewhat normal society left in the end, not having 20% unemployed due to this, will also help with alot of secondary deaths, ie, suicides, homicides, etc, due to people loosing their job, homes and such. If pragmatism was a invention, I am sure it would have been a Swedish one.
Exactly.

This shit wont go away and it is time to come up with a plan how to coexist with the virus and keep the economy afloat.
Its bad enough as it is and the longer we hide the more people will die due to lack of treatment such as cancer patients or commit suicide due to financial distress.

We cant keep this up for much longer.

Just today i talked to a guy who works for westjet and does maintenance on the airplanes. As most may no know these airplanes have to be serviced and turned on for hours each week just to keep them in good condition.
Now they are waiting for goverment support as without that they cant continue.
None of us is aware of the trickle down effect this has for the future.

Liljagare

Just curious, do alot of folks here walk around in their outside shoes, inside? In Sweden, you'd be knocked into next week if you did that. Just a humourus comparison.. :)

Teslerum

Exactly.

This shit wont go away and it is time to come up with a plan how to coexist with the virus and keep the economy afloat.
Its bad enough as it is and the longer we hide the more people will die due to lack of treatment such as cancer patients or commit suicide due to financial distress.

We cant keep this up for much longer.

Just today i talked to a guy who works for westjet and does maintenance on the airplanes. As most may no know these airplanes have to be serviced and turned on for hours each week just to keep them in good condition.
Now they are waiting for goverment support as without that they cant continue.
None of us is aware of the trickle down effect this has for the future.

Wait what?

One of the major reason the curve is flattened is to have enough medical personal to treat other ailements. Why would this be prevented? You guys in Canada are doing the lockdown wrong.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
Just curious, do alot of folks here walk around in their outside shoes, inside? In Sweden, you'd be knocked into next week if you did that. Just a humourus comparison.. :)
I know the irish do and muslims.
I had an irish guy working for me and boy was he dirty and stinky as fuck. I heard from him first time in my life people walk with their shoes into the house.

But no matter how dirty this guy was and i tell you his bio was nauseating he got all the pussy in the city cuz chicks digged his accent.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wait what?

One of the major reason the curve is flattened is to have enough medical personal to treat other ailements. Why would this be prevented? You guys in Canada are doing the lockdown wrong.

Yea that's how it's supposed to work in theory but that's not how it's working. Even in the US it's the same. They're trying to reserve the hospitals for tens of thousands of ICU cases that just aren't showing up.

Jtibh

Banned
Wait what?

Well no surgeries for now as in all surgery is postponed and also no chemo treatment etc.

Dont get me started on the fucking dentist issue.

rykomatsu

Called my dentist emergency number since my tooth has hurt for 2 weeks and is getting worse. He gave me some advice on the phone and said he would call me back in a week or two. They can't see anyone currently since they don't have any N95 masks left. It's been a month and we still haven't figured out how to make enough. In WW2 we pumped out all those tanks, planes, bomb and ammo. Today we struggle with paper masks.

• During WWII, auto manufacturers were aware of a potential decision around retooling in the beginning-to-mid 1940
  • Since they were dragging their heels, the gov't forced all automanufacturing to stop in Feb 1941
This basically means that at least some planning and proposals could be put together (though not acted upon). What this also meant is that you basically had a quarter million additional people get unemployed literally on one day. Mobilization didn't suddenly happen on one day with minimal notice or lead time.

Teslerum

Well no surgeries for now as in all surgery is postponed and also no chemo treatment etc.

Dont get me started on the fucking dentist issue.
WTF? That's stupid. Unless we're talking actually really hard hit places everythings still working (though even there alternatives are sought out). Better even since people with somewhat trivial issues are staying home. The only thing that's closed medically speaking (for most things) is dental due to a current lack of masks. But thats looked at as well.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
WTF? That's stupid. Unless we're talking actually really hard hit places everythings still working (though even there alternatives are sought out). Better even since people with somewhat trivial issues are staying home. The only thing that's closed medically speaking (for most things) is dental due to a current lack of masks. But thats looked at as well.

Even places that aren't hard hit are acting like they are just to justify keeping people locked up.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Yeah, we haven't reached 900 yet? How are we winning?

At the start I was doubting the strategy, but our curves are rather flat, and we are dealing with the situation just fine. So, yeah, I think for Sweden, this is working. Naturarly, it might change if something was missed, but, if not, well..

Based on population size, you have more people dying than any similar countries, and while their cases will start dropping due to quarantine, Sweden's will continue to rise unless they do the same.
Sweden is a magical place, but it would take real magic for the amount of cases and deaths to come down without stricter measures in place.

People are still going to lose their jobs, and the economy will suffer either way. It might be a smaller immediate loss, but it will still be there.
You then have to consider that if Sweden's strategy is wrong (like every other country seems to believe), and the medical system gets overrun, the people are going to lose faith in their government.
Suicide and depression will go up when not only are people's loved ones dying, but they're often responsible for passing them the virus in the first place.

It's a massive risk, and there are only limited opportunities for success (if it somehow has spread way more than we know, if it slows down and doesn't come back in the winter, or if we get a good treatment in the next few months).
I wouldn't take that risk, but, all of the Swedes I've seen talk about it online seem fully supportive of this plan. Maybe yall know something that the rest of the world doesn't.

Jtibh

Banned
Their reasoning is that the worst is still to come and they want to be prepared.
Its retarded as like i said the units are empty doing jack shit.
But hey its the goverment at play again.
Think about this.
Our goverment gave Alberta health services an additonal 500mill to deal with the covid crisis but hospitals are empty??
And at the same time they cut 128mill from board of education and laying off a bunch of part time a sub teachers etc. So we wont even have home schooling through facetime etc very soon . No equipment poor families can borrow from school like laptops ipad etc for learning and so on so on.

For shame.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

It varies wildly here in the States. My house has always been strictly no-shoes inside, but I had a few friends growing up whose families would wear shoes indoors all the time. Like, they only ever took them off when bathing and sleeping. I always thought it was super weird.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryank75

Banned
FDh9XYi.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I don't think the teachers should be losing any pay just because the State shut down the rest of the school year, but yeah, it would be nice if they had a better plan. A lot of kids are going to get screwed out of an education and they better be accounted for going into the next year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Siri

Banned
Here’s something weird.

Where I work over 30 staff have been infected, and although most were middle-aged females from the Philippines, the person who got hit the hardest was the youngest and the strongest: a 25-year-old Canadian male.

He’s been sick for 4 weeks now and he said that last night was one the worst nights yet - for the first time ever he was barely able to breathe, and apparently it scared the crap out of him.

Incredibly, he was one of the first to go down. Honestly, it seems like it was a lifetime ago that I last saw him at work.

BTW, this is anecdotal, but what I’m seeing with my colleagues is that the majority are saying this was the worst illness they ever had.

(sorry if I’m repeating myself, btw. I can’t remember what I wrote. I’, not even sure which day it is.)

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
Yea that's how it's supposed to work in theory but that's not how it's working. Even in the US it's the same. They're trying to reserve the hospitals for tens of thousands of ICU cases that just aren't showing up.

People aren't showing up because of forward thinking leaders who knew their states weren't ready to prevent their medical systems being overrun, and because the American people have done such a great job of following social distancing and quarantine orders.

Very interesting video... I'm skeptical, but it's going to be crazy if it comes out that he was right all along.

He's wrong in his first 2 sentences. Does not bode well for the rest.

Last edited:

Techies

“We’ve tested almost the whole crew now. We still have about 1,000 tests to report out. But 3,170 tested negative, 416 tested positive, 187 of those were symptomatic, 229 were asymptomatic. We still have 1,164 pending results,” Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. John Hyten told reporters at the Pentagon Thursday, according to CNN.

The reason I'm looking closely at the Carrier Roosevelt is because it's a ship where everyone onboard is getting tested. Not just those who show symptoms and so far it's around 55% if you look at the infections.

So even though the stats show New York to have had 417 000 cases, the reality it could of already reached 1 million. It's a possibility.

Last edited:

Longcat

I think it works, because you also have to think like a Swede.

If I don't know you, I am sure as fuck not going to say "G'day, How are you doing, Have a good day" or such.

I might utter a thank you, if someone helps me.

The Swedish mentality is just different from most nations, not social, at all.
Can confirm. There's a reason the old "waiting for the bus like a swede" meme exists.

waiting-for-the-bus-like-a-swede.jpg

giphy.gif

We needed a national lockdown 2 weeks ago. As long as people continue to move, the virus will spread. It starts as a small fire and then consumes everything that continues to move. The harsh reality is that today around 500 Americans will die and by Easter 2000 Americans per day will die. You don't have to have to have an Uncle that worked at MIT tell you that. Anybody who knows basic math or business would tell you that.

Brix and Fauci need to be straight up with Americans instead of trying to please Trump. There are still Americans that believe in the Easter Bunny. Level with Americans, this is going to be bad. Very bad. Thousands will die and if we start the economy back up too early, millions could die because you haven't allowed the fires to burn out.

Our leaders fucked up big time, but we can't start pointing fingers because more people will die. They can't fuck up more. We have to minimize the deaths. In the next few days every city in America is going to start blowing up like an uncontrollable wildfire. Right now we know that 100,000 people in America have it but it is more likely that millions of people are infected since we can't test everybody

The problem with America is that there is no plan. There is no leadership. It's all piece-meal. We are playing kindergarten checkers instead of grand master chess. We need to be thinking several moves ahead to beat this virus. Don't tell us you are taking this day by day. The uncertainty is killing Americans. What is the real plan over the next several months? Don't tell us to believe in the Easter Bunny. We don't.

Ding ding!

Last edited:

Jonsoncao

Banned
Perfect summation of the situation:

"The WHO was focused above all on spreading the message of the Chinese Communist Party. Their advice was wrong, and then late, and then simply useless."

To be fair, despite the following overly-cited Jan 14 twitter:

WHO did warn all other countries on Jan 23 about confirmed human-to-human transmission risks:

Human-to-human transmission is occurring and a preliminary R0 estimate of 1.4-2.5 was presented.

HHS secretary Alex Azar and CDC head Dr. Redfield are informed by CCP even before WHO.

It is also noted that back in mid-Feb, the world other than China does seem get this under control, US has only 4 China travel-related cases and no community transmission thanks to the travel restrictions.

My take is that the R0 back then was apparently an underestimate, as other countries just thought this is in the ballpark of the seasonal flu.

It is also possible that the estimated R0 is maybe only valid for authoritarian regime where people are forced to wear masks and got their temperature checked when being in public places.

Jonsoncao

Banned

Of the 61 patients who received at least one dose of remdesivir, data from 8 could not be analyzed (including 7 patients with no post-treatment data and 1 with a dosing error). Of the 53 patients whose data were analyzed, 22 were in the United States, 22 in Europe or Canada, and 9 in Japan. At baseline, 30 patients (57%) were receiving mechanical ventilation and 4 (8%) were receiving extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. During a median follow-up of 18 days, 36 patients (68%) had an improvement in oxygen-support class, including 17 of 30 patients (57%) receiving mechanical ventilation who were extubated. A total of 25 patients (47%) were discharged, and 7 patients (13%) died; mortality was 18% (6 of 34) among patients receiving invasive ventilation and 5% (1 of 19) among those not receiving invasive ventilation.

Some good news on Remdesivir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom