• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another article...

Crazy that it got all the way to death before they tested them. Where there are two...
on the website that has a list of countries outside of China, Iran was listed as *2 because they had a second test to do
that might be the 2 that died or new cases not clear on that

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
20860.jpeg

Those numbers go down once you realize there are probably 200,000 or more actual cases, many of whom barely showed symptoms. The fatality rate under the age of 10 is 0%.

This thing is still worse than the flu, but mostly for people over the age of 50, and only because we have no vaccine.

Last edited:
Interesting (and sad) that the CEO of one of the Wuhan hospitals died, he was in his 50s. You'd think if *anyone* would be getting top care there it'd be him, and he still died.

I've also heard that reinfection is possible and that some people who have survived and gotten reinfected died from massive heart attacks. I'll try and find a source, heard it on a podcast or something.
scary, might take them longer to study these effects by the end of the year this thing might be very scary when we find out what it can do

Interesting (and sad) that the CEO of one of the Wuhan hospitals died, he was in his 50s. You'd think if *anyone* would be getting top care there it'd be him, and he still died.

I would think the opposite, a CEO putting on a brave face, acting like this is no big deal, pushing the party line delaying his own tests to confirm he was sick himself

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Here's a source:

According to the message forwarded to Taiwan News, “It’s highly possible to get infected a second time. A few people recovered from the first time by their own immune system, but the meds they use are damaging their heart tissue, and when they get it the second time, the antibody doesn’t help but makes it worse, and they die a sudden death from heart failure.”

Article also says people can be asymptomatic for 24 days, not just two weeks.

vpance

I've also heard that reinfection is possible and that some people who have survived and gotten reinfected died from massive heart attacks. I'll try and find a source, heard it on a podcast or something.

The Canadian that recovered and returned home was found to still test positive for the virus days later. They aren't sure if it's just dead remnants or if he's still infectious. No updates on that yet I think.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Maybe he had comorbidities? Top care wont necessarily save you if you are over 50 and have other issues.

Here's a source:

Article also says people can be asymptomatic for 24 days, not just two weeks.

If it is spreading while asymptomatic, then there is going to really be no way to tell. Who knows when/who got you sick if no one around you is sick until days/weeks later. Maybe someone comes down with it and you think you got it from them, but maybe some random person you forgot about and don't follow up with (Cab driver, server, etc) actually comes down sick a couple days later but you'll never know.

Last edited:

Wvrs

Are masks actually any help at all? I've just moved to South Korea and it seems every other person is tauting a mask, but it's my understanding that the virus is too small in terms of micron length to actually be filtered out by masks. Personally, I've just been using hand sanitiser frequently and being extra careful with hygeine.

Are masks actually any help at all? I've just moved to South Korea and it seems every other person is tauting a mask, but it's my understanding that the virus is too small in terms of micron length to actually be filtered out by masks. Personally, I've just been using hand sanitiser frequently and being extra careful with hygeine.
even the best masks are only effective for a few hours before they get too wet to help.
I think it helps comfort people though.

I would wear them though

edit: Korea New Phase = Magic Virus :|

Last edited:

Yeah, the normal surgical masks don't do crap. A N95 will help for something like 20 minutes or so before it is allowing stuff in.

A full on facemask with proper seal with filtration canister would do nicely.. provided you don't have facial hair and get a good seal.

Generally the masks are better served by keeping already sick people from spreading their germs around. Also, probably the biggest benefit of wearing a mask is you're less likely to touch your face with your hands, as that is usually how you infect yourself.

UPDATE: Today, Sony Interactive Entertainment made the decision to cancel its participation at PAX East in Boston this year due to increasing concerns related to COVID-19 (also known as “novel coronavirus”). We felt this was the safest option as the situation is changing daily. We are disappointed to cancel our participation in this event, but the health and safety of our global workforce is our highest concern.

Coming back from the holiday break can be tough, but it’s made a bit easier by the knowledge that before long, gamers from around the world will gather at PAX East and get their first up-close look at some of the year’s biggest upcoming games.

We’ll be there too, and we’re bringing some stuff we think you’re going to enjoy.

Hmmm, if E3 gets canceled I'll be miffed.

Last edited:

that took them longer than I expected, I was thinking wow China is doing the free speech thing

Hmmm, if E3 gets canceled I'll be miffed.

Sony is acting weird

Last edited:
Sony is acting weird

That they are, I suppose this is good cover though, and even for potentially pushing back the PS5 release. No one can really blame them because it's EVIL CHINER VIRUS' FAULT!

Also:

Not going to lie, when this broke last week we were on the verge of booking a summer trip to Maui and now we're reconsidering.

That they are, I suppose this is good cover though, and even for potentially pushing back the PS5 release. No one can really blame them because it's EVIL CHINER VIRUS' FAULT!

Also:

Not going to lie, when this broke last week we were on the verge of booking a summer trip to Maui and now we're reconsidering.

yes they are buying time for PS5 this is good cover but I also wonder if it does not open PAX up for lawsuits because Sony showed caution and someone got infected at PAX so they go sue happy since Sony dropped a Press Release showing concern.

not going to vacation in Maui is one thing can you imagine sharing controllers and Switches at PAX with hundreds of people?

Last edited:

Dthomp

yes they are buying time for PS5 this is good cover but I also wonder if it does not open PAX up for lawsuits because Sony showed caution and someone got infected at PAX so they go sue happy since Sony dropped a Press Release showing concern.

Not sure how much of any of this has to do with buying time on PS5. Companies should be being VERY careful regarding this virus. These types of shows will bring people from all over, this is the type of environment people should avoid attending, much the same as avoiding heavy vacation spots. The longer every other country can delay this virus from rampaging the better. These shows like this and E3 are beyond unnecessary in todays age of youtube and twitch. Do a video and release it with all the info you'd give here, just as effective IMO, and doesn't put others at risk.

I mean the virus is barely anywhere that we know of yet in the United States and you can't find masks anywhere within 100s of miles of me and I live in the middle of nowhere. Delay or cancel EVERYTHING until we have real info about this virus and not just speculation.

vpance

Good news for Asians, bad news for smokers

https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202002.0051/v1

In current severe global emergency situation of 2019-nCov outbreak, it is imperative to identify vulnerable and susceptible groups for effective protection and care. Recently, studies found that 2019-nCov and SARS-nCov share the same receptor, ACE2.

In this study, we analyzed four large-scale datasets of normal lung tissue to investigate the disparities related to race, age, gender and smoking status in ACE2 gene expression. No significant disparities in ACE2 gene expression were found between racial groups (Asian vs Caucasian), age groups (>60 vs <60) or gender groups (male vs female).

However, we observed significantly higher ACE2 gene expression in smoker samples compared to non-smoker samples. This indicates the smokers may be more susceptible to 2019-nCov and thus smoking history should be considered in identifying susceptible population and standardizing treatment regimen.

IIRC Asian males are often smokers in Japan and China, and maybe East Asian countries in general.

Last edited:
Not sure how much of any of this has to do with buying time on PS5. Companies should be being VERY careful regarding this virus. These types of shows will bring people from all over, this is the type of environment people should avoid attending, much the same as avoiding heavy vacation spots. The longer every other country can delay this virus from rampaging the better. These shows like this and E3 are beyond unnecessary in todays age of youtube and twitch. Do a video and release it with all the info you'd give here, just as effective IMO, and doesn't put others at risk.

I mean the virus is barely anywhere that we know of yet in the United States and you can't find masks anywhere within 100s of miles of me and I live in the middle of nowhere. Delay or cancel EVERYTHING until we have real info about this virus and not just speculation.

no Sony is buying time. Sorry I don't believe they care about a virus scare enough to cancel unless it works for them

Nuka-Cola

Neo Member
There is no big corona virus problems in the glorious Peoples' Republic of China. there is no war in Ba Sing Se. The disease is just a flu bro.

Last edited:

VertigoOA

Banned
anyone else becoming hyper aware of how many times they touch their face and eyes?

yep.

I’ve been seeing wealthy Chinese come in to check out new apartments at the Hudson yards tower a few times a week. I have to honestly say... I wonder... did they just fly in? Its quite concerning because as someone who’s lived in a mostly Korean and Chinese neighborhood his entire life... the old timers don’t give a fuck about anything.

Last edited:
That says it was posted at 8:46AM Pacific time, which is still today (maybe that was yesterday and today is tomorrow where you are? How is the future? Are we all dead?)

I don't sleep much could have been another post earlier than that and I replied to the wrong one

edit: nope that shit was like 5 hours ago. wtf was I doing? Missing time? Aliens?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom