• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would not put too much stock into all the bad stuff and that the worst came from China
the history of disease is based on record keeping and who told the story

if no one is left alive to share the story you will never know what disease whipped out whole tribes or places with millions. Anyone left alive might not even have known what hit them.

Ive found some interesting facts about the origins of the most deadly diseases in history and most of them start in China through the ages. The bubonic plagues throughout history, the black death in medieval europe, the spanish flu, the asian flu in 1957, the hong kong flu in 1968, sars, wuhan coronavirus etc... China it seems has been killing large populations throughout the world indirectly for centuries, the wuhan flu really is nothing new, in that regard.

For the same reason European diseases devastated the Americas. China has had a large-scale unified population for longer than anyone else. Therefore when it comes to diseases they are the first to encounter them on a large scale and to develop immunity against them and to subsequently spread them.

Last edited:

Mistake

If there's one thing Japanese people do is act completely nonchalantly about something and then panic hard when it's not necessary, They damn near cleaned out my local supermarket when there was that one day typhoon last year,
It’s not just them. I saw people in the US freak out over a hurricane and buy out the water. That’s right. There was no water in stores because it was going to rain

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

In a study, the researchers discovered that the coronavirus samples taken from patients were a 99% identical match to samples of the virus taken from pangolins, according to a report from China's Xinhua news agency.

It is hypothesized that pangolins may have become coronavirus carriers due to ingesting bat saliva or feces while eating insects. If a human ate a pangolin carrying the virus, they would be exposed and likely infected.

The likelihood of this is high, since despite all eight species facing extinction, pangolins are the most illegally trafficked mammal in the world, second only to humans, and are especially popular in China and Vietnam, where their meat is considered a delicacy and scales are used as important ingredients in both traditional medicine and commercial pharmaceuticals.

Also the virus is starting to hit the Mid East.

mr.dilya

Banned
One thing I will say though, these Chinese take out spots are super polite lately.

I called in an order 2 days ago and instead of the usual “what you want???” I got a“yes sir, what would you like?” Kind of threw me for a second.

Also they offered to deliver a 6 dollar order even though it’s usually a 10 dollar minimum which they never budge on. I swear they would have probably delivered an egg roll for me from the way it sounded.

a lot of these places must be hurting for real.

Ma-Yuan

I think World wide we are where China was like 5 weeks ago. So let's assume in 5 weeks (because more or less honest numbers) we will know how bad it really is right now in China ><

CDC reports a record death rate for Flu Season so far in the US

105 deaths so far this season. But we getting nutty over this new virus.

if this new virus bacame a yearly thing we need to do something new about how we interact with each other

hate crimes this video is crazy 'everything is from China'

ryan13ts

if this new virus bacame a yearly thing we need to do something new about how we interact with each other

This doesn't surprise me at all sadly. Was talking to a co-worker when this shit first hit and we both said this exact type of thing would happen if it kept spreading.

People are stupid, always have been and always will be unfortunately.

sinnergy

That’s from the flu, now imagine this virus ... we haven’t encountered before and have no anti bodies .

Just try, it’s not that hard.

That’s from the flu, now imagine this virus ... we haven’t encountered before and have no anti bodies .

Just try, it’s not that hard.
if we had 50 deaths just half of the flu numbers from this virus in US people would be in a hyper panic right now

new shit make people more attentive

sinnergy

if we had 50 deaths just half of the flu numbers from this virus in US people would be in a hyper panic right now

new shit make people more attentive
And they should, as now it’s time to take care of your personal hygiene.

if this shit spreads, even our western medical facilities And support system can’t handle this.

The problem isn't COVID-19 or the Flu, they're BOTH going to be going around, and recovering one could leave you extra susceptible for the other.

Yes, the normal flu is bad, but it also impacts MILLIONS of people a year, so the # of deaths is relatively small. If COVID-19 gets to the same level of spread? Even a 1% death rate would be really, really bad.

Also, for whatever reason, COVID-19 doesn't seem to impact children as much, so you got the normal flu killing kids, and COVID-19 killing the older folks.

whynotboth.gif

ExpandKong

Banned
The problem isn't COVID-19 or the Flu, they're BOTH going to be going around, and recovering one could leave you extra susceptible for the other.

Yes, the normal flu is bad, but it also impacts MILLIONS of people a year, so the # of deaths is relatively small. If COVID-19 gets to the same level of spread? Even a 1% death rate would be really, really bad.

Also, for whatever reason, COVID-19 doesn't seem to impact children as much, so you got the normal flu killing kids, and COVID-19 killing the older folks.

whynotboth.gif

Seriously, the whole "w-well look at the flu!" schtick people are pushing around doesn't sit right with me. Yes people die from the flu. We know about the flu, we have vaccines for the flu. New shit is scary.

Seriously, the whole "w-well look at the flu!" schtick people are pushing around doesn't sit right with me. Yes people die from the flu. We know about the flu, we have vaccines for the flu. New shit is scary.

CNN was pushing the CDC flu number front page. it does seem like many want to keep pushing flu awareness out there more than any type of schtick

it could just be humans don't like seeing children deaths, we have no Amber Alerts for missing adults after all

CNN was pushing the CDC flu number front page. it does seem like many want to keep pushing flu awareness out there more than any type of schtick

it could just be humans don't like seeing children deaths, we have no Amber Alerts for missing adults after all

I was actually thinking a couple of weeks ago if China really wanted support and aid, they just need to push images of sick and dying kids, and the world would come running.

Clearly they (a) don't want anyone there really helping for whatever reason and (b) kids seem to be very lightly impacted by this for whatever reason.. so that idea is out the window. BUT any other country that wants free sympathy...

I expect the CDC to do better than China and Japan but we are still a huge ass country and Hawaii and Alaska are damn far away from Atlanta

My issue is that we've now had at least a month now to prepare. It's not like this was sprung on us. Of ANYWHERE, you'd expect it to show up in Hawaii first, it's physically the closest to China and there is a ton of tourists.

There is a fine line they have to walk between stirring up unhelpful panic but also keeping people as safe as possible. I don't know that I could/world have done better, but I can't help but feeling like the WHO and CDC have been dropping the ball all over the place.

77! #DontBeOld

Last edited:
My issue is that we've now had at least a month now to prepare. It's not like this was sprung on us. Of ANYWHERE, you'd expect it to show up in Hawaii first, it's physically the closest to China and there is a ton of tourists.

There is a fine line they have to walk between stirring up unhelpful panic but also keeping people as safe as possible. I don't know that I could/world have done better, but I can't help but feeling like the WHO and CDC have been dropping the ball all over the place.

77! #DontBeOld

I said I expect them to be better and do better. But I don't expect the CDC not to fuck up a few places. If they were funded like the military I would have expected perfection. In saying that I expect a few South Korea level outbreaks in the US before we are done here.

We might have the Science and Brain talent here in the US to take care of this but our red tape and slow health politics is enough to kill thousands if this thing takes a hold anywhere

Hawaii is going to be a test

Can we stop with the flu talk.

The flu isn't having 100's of people die each day, nor forcing the lock down of entire cities and 10's of millions of people.
Maybe the flu in 1890 or something but in present day the flu isn't causing quartines of curise ships and banning of flights.

You will only die of frustration if you think saying this will get you any results, we can't stop talking about the flu. If you are Chinese or Asian and have the flu right now people are going to think you have COVID19 the fear is amped up right now all over the world.

cryptoadam

Banned
You will only die of frustration if you think saying this will get you any results, we can't stop talking about the flu. If you are Chinese or Asian and have the flu right now people are going to think you have COVID19 the fear is amped up right now all over the world.

I mean talking about it to downplay COVID19.

Since day 1 its been (mainly a CCP) talking point to downplay COVID19 by comparing it to the flu. When China starts quartining 10's of millions of people because of the common flu then we can make the comparison.

I don't support being racist against Asians, but I think being fearful of people from China or have traveled to China is prudent. Last thing the rest of the world needs is 1000's of people getting sick and 100's dying every day. If that means cutting off all contact with China until this virus is under control then I actually agree with it.

Our governments are going to have to make a tough choice, which is to protect us citizens, or worry about China's feelings (and economy).

The Diamond cruise case is very interesting. Because it really sucks that those people were trapped on the ship with the infection, but even now the people that they took off the ship were infected (even the Israelis on the ship were infected) and now countries have brought that infection home per say. Its an interesting case because what if patient 0 in the US or Canada ends up being from the ship and this becomes epidemic levels? Were these countries correct in rescuing their people, only to endanger the rest of their home countries? Its hard to say which is more or less ethical.

Uh, yes it is killing thousands each day worldwide, not hundreds.

Stop purposefully spreading wrong info, unless you can back it up.

Edit: I looked it up, I suppose it could be close: 790 to 1700's possible per day

Last edited:
I mean talking about it to downplay COVID19.

Since day 1 its been (mainly a CCP) talking point to downplay COVID19 by comparing it to the flu. When China starts quartining 10's of millions of people because of the common flu then we can make the comparison.

I don't support being racist against Asians, but I think being fearful of people from China or have traveled to China is prudent. Last thing the rest of the world needs is 1000's of people getting sick and 100's dying every day. If that means cutting off all contact with China until this virus is under control then I actually agree with it.

Our governments are going to have to make a tough choice, which is to protect us citizens, or worry about China's feelings (and economy).

The Diamond cruise case is very interesting. Because it really sucks that those people were trapped on the ship with the infection, but even now the people that they took off the ship were infected (even the Israelis on the ship were infected) and now countries have brought that infection home per say. Its an interesting case because what if patient 0 in the US or Canada ends up being from the ship and this becomes epidemic levels? Were these countries correct in rescuing their people, only to endanger the rest of their home countries? Its hard to say which is more or less ethical.

COVID19 is serious and should not be downplayed

I would point out that we can all get carried away with fear, locking away people out of concern is one thing but just look at that Ukraine town going crazy because they don't want the folks flown in from China in their town at all.

We are going to start running into a lot of issues if people are saying don't put those people here. Locking them up in a ship. Look at the spread in China's 4 prisons and expect a lot of the same to keep piling numbers upwards.

At some point fear is going to make us turn our backs on doing what we should but a disease is not going to sit around waiting while we are thinking of what is politically correct course of action.

While China is able to lock down cities of millions, if you try the same thing somewhere else I would expect riots. This is going to get very messy no matter which side you are on or how you are affected by it.

they are playing to the camera for the overlords to see they are good soldiers smh
meanless shit tho

edit: they forgot to fumigate the car? Noobs you are all infected now

I think this was a training video taken sometime in the past, so it's not current, but could (COULD) be representative of how things are going now if they stick to the training.

Stop purposefully spreading wrong info, unless you can back it up.

Edit: I looked it up, I suppose it could be close: 790 to 1700's possible per day

So uh yes, flu is almost killing the corona virus grand total, each day. And it is killing children and elderly, as opposed to mostly elderly which the corona virus targets.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
It's going to end up everywhere because of superspreaders (asymptomatic infected people). Nothing you can do. I'm pretty certain I have it (fever, dry cough, no flu like symptoms) but I won't go see a doctor, no interest in spending two weeks in quarantine. And I have no connection to Asia, so I've gotten it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom