• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its getting crazy in the middle east. Afghanistan, Pakistan, Armenia and Turkey have closed their borders with Iran

A Korean delegation was in the West Bank, so the PA now shut down everywhere they went.

At least they aren't screwing around over there.

But isnt Pakistan one of the places still allowing flights from China?

Stouffers

Banned
Woman is savagely beaten in Birmingham ‘coronavirus rage’ attack after stepping in to defend her Chinese friend from racist abuse

A woman was punched and knocked unconscious after she stepped in to defend her Chinese friend who was accused of carrying coronavirus.

Trainee lawyer Meera Solanki, from Solihull, was out with friends celebrating her 29th birthday at Birmingham's Ana Rocha Bar and Gallery on Frederick Street.

Miss Solanki was inside the venue with her friends including Mandy Huang, 28, who was visiting from London, when the group were targeted by a group of Asian men.

Miss Solanki said: 'I was having birthday drinks with a group of of girls and guys including Chinese friends.

'There were a group of Asian men inside the venue - one of them kept coming up to me and harassing me. He seemed to have a problem with me being an Indian girl with a multi-racial group of friends,' she told The Sunday Mercury.

Miss Solanki added: 'We tried to ignore him, even when he tried to spit at one of my friends.

'Towards the end of the night - there was just the three of us girls left including my Chinese friend Mandy.

She continued: 'The man came over again and was being aggressive so we left but he followed us.

For some reason he got really angry with her. He started abusing her calling her a dirty c****.

'He said 'take your f****** coronavirus and take it back home.'

Miss Solanki told how she was 'shocked and angry' and shouted at the man to stop while she tried to push him away.

'He punched me in the head, I hit the pavement and was knocked unconcious,' Miss Solanki said.

Damn Alabama

cryptoadam

Banned
But isnt Pakistan one of the places still allowing flights from China?

all I could find is a 2 week article

It seems like they are allowing flights. Keep in mind Pakistan owes China billions of dollars. Money talks just ask the WHO. Pakistan might not want to offend the CCP, but they probably don't give 2 fucks about the Mullaha's in Iran.

Max_Po

Banned

It seems like they are allowing flights. Keep in mind Pakistan owes China billions of dollars. Money talks just ask the WHO. Pakistan might not want to offend the CCP, but they probably don't give 2 fucks about the Mullaha's in Iran.

Our fucking greedy corrupt government has ruined the country taking $$$ from China. Poor Imran Khan can't do anything..

Yeah I knew the reason but did not think they would hold up the double standard so freely

cryptoadam

Banned
Yeah I knew the reason but did not think they would hold up the double standard so freely

Well I doubt its free. All that Yuen they have been getting comes with a cost :)

(I get the turn of phrase and what you meant, just joking around).

This though does give them a nice opportunity to seem like they are being serious about the situation, but to also keep China happy. See we closed our borders, now just ignore the flights coming from China, we got this under control.

Hotspurr

Banned
Just a few things I was curious about.
So in the US people die of the "regular" flu at a rather high rate - it is estimate to reach nearly 100k per season.
Here are the 2017-2018 numbers: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/2017-2018.htm

UiM3PeX.png

In the worst case, if you contract the flu in the US, you have a 0.25% chance of dying (0.08% on the low end), and it predominantly affects older folks 65+.

With this COVID-19 thing, if you take the deaths and divide them by the number of infected, you get about 3%, which is kind of a useless number and it's what is reported a lot in the news. The more informative number (if accurate) is the deaths per resolved cases, which sits at 10% (https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/).

zV2g23M.png

Here again, the people most affected are the over 65+, and it seems to follow the same trend as with the standard flu. Effectively, the virus is about 40-125 times worse than the standard flu and can spread rather easily even if you are asymptomatic.

I guess my initial thoughts are what happens with co-infections: https://www.everydayhealth.com/cold...o-come-down-with-two-flu-viruses-at-once.aspx
The other question is about the infection rate, which there isn't that much data on. In other words, if the standard flu is 5-20% infection, rate, what if this new thing is 20-40% infection rate, that would exacerbate everything as well.

I'd say this is fairly serious, and if you have older folks in your family maybe try to limit their travel and take care of their health to keep their immune system strong.

Looks like this chart has been updated for Italy

OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
Diamond Princess691336 serious, 1 recoveredSource
South Korea60267 serious, 17 recoveredSource
Japan146*17 serious, 23 recoveredSource
Singapore8905 critical, 49 recoveredSource
Hong Kong7424 critical, 2 serious, 5 recoveredSource
Italy155326 seriousSource
Thailand3502 serious, 15 recoveredSource
United States3505 recoveredSource
Iran438Source
Taiwan2812 recoveredSource
Malaysia22017 recoveredSource
Australia22011 recoveredSource
Germany16014 recoveredSource
Vietnam16014 recoveredSource
UAE1302 serious, 3 recoveredSource
France12110 recoveredSource
Macau1005 recoveredSource
United Kingdom1308 recoveredSource
Canada903 recoveredSource
Philippines312 recoveredSource
India303 recoveredSource
Russia202 recoveredSource
Spain202 recoveredSource
Nepal101 recoveredSource
Cambodia101 recoveredSource
Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
Finland101 recoveredSource
Sweden10Source
Belgium101 recoveredSource
Egypt101 recoveredSource
Israel10Source
Lebanon10Source
TOTAL2,0502682 serious/critical
Notes

donfonzie

I was at a wedding just now. This guy sitting next kept caughing, and at the end was telling someone he had just returned from a trip to China/Thailand a few days back, and that Corona virus is just the flu...😑. Why are people so stupid? And why don't they care if they are infecting everyone else? That's just selfish.

I was at a wedding just now. This guy sitting next kept caughing, and at the end was telling someone he had just returned from a trip to China/Thailand a few days back, and that Corona virus is just the flu...😑. Why are people so stupid? And why don't they care if they are infecting everyone else? That's just selfish.

Well that was rude of him. Now the question is are you going to self-quarantine for 14 or 28 days?

Last edited:

donfonzie

Well that was rude of him. Now the question is are you going to self-quarantine for 14 or 28 days?

I called the main hospital here, and asked if I could be tested for the virus. I was told they only have a limited number of tests, so tests can only be done if I start getting symptoms 😳. I'm wearing a mask for the next few days, but if God forbid I feel even a little bit sick, then Im definitely locking myself up. Conscience would kill me knowing I am the reason for so much pain and suffering.

Edit: I'm in Pakistan btw.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Looks like this chart has been updated for Italy

OTHER PLACESCasesDeathsNotesLinks
Diamond Princess691336 serious, 1 recoveredSource
South Korea60267 serious, 17 recoveredSource
Japan146*17 serious, 23 recoveredSource
Singapore8905 critical, 49 recoveredSource
Hong Kong7424 critical, 2 serious, 5 recoveredSource
Italy155326 seriousSource
Thailand3502 serious, 15 recoveredSource
United States3505 recoveredSource
Iran438Source
Taiwan2812 recoveredSource
Malaysia22017 recoveredSource
Australia22011 recoveredSource
Germany16014 recoveredSource
Vietnam16014 recoveredSource
UAE1302 serious, 3 recoveredSource
France12110 recoveredSource
Macau1005 recoveredSource
United Kingdom1308 recoveredSource
Canada903 recoveredSource
Philippines312 recoveredSource
India303 recoveredSource
Russia202 recoveredSource
Spain202 recoveredSource
Nepal101 recoveredSource
Cambodia101 recoveredSource
Sri Lanka101 recoveredSource
Finland101 recoveredSource
Sweden10Source
Belgium101 recoveredSource
Egypt101 recoveredSource
Israel10Source
Lebanon10Source
TOTAL2,0502682 serious/critical
Notes

Iran has to by lieing or the virus they have is much more deadly.

Deaths are too high for the low number of cases.

I called the main hospital here, and asked if I could be tested for the virus. I was told they only have a limited number of tests, so tests can only be done if I start getting symptoms 😳. I'm wearing a mask for the next few days, but if God forbid I feel even a little bit sick, then Im definitely locking myself up. Conscience would kill me knowing I am the reason for so much pain and suffering.

Edit: I'm in Pakistan btw.

ah that is rough, I feel the same way I would hate to be someone who spreads a dangerous virus that could kill someone. Hope you are not sick. Pakistan still allowing flights to China and as you pointed out people have bad attitudes about this just being the flu is a bad thing.

1 or 2 isolated quickly could be a good sign if they can contain it fast (the thing is at least they are testing!)
as long as it is not a run away snowball like Italy

Last edited:

donfonzie

ah that is rough, I feel the same way I would hate to be someone who spreads a dangerous virus that could kill someone. Hope you are not sick. Pakistan still allowing flights to China and as you pointed out people have bad attitudes about this just being the flu is a bad thing.

Thanks mate. Bad attitude and a lack of medical resources here is pretty scary. If it does spread here, would be pretty difficult to control...

Son Tofu

Banned
I have a buddy that lives in Japan that says people are really freaking out over there. He has a neighbor who won't leave his apartment.

Italy youtube is freaking out about this I just can't find anyone in english to share though

this poor girl is just trying to get her channel more views but wait until youtube slaps the WHO link under her video meaning she is demonetized. If she thinks she is depressed now lol

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
1 or 2 isolated quickly could be a good sign if they can contain it fast (the thing is at least they are testing!)
as long as it is not a run away snowball like Italy

Lets hope it doesn't snow ball, but I am fearful for the ME as shit is getting hand over there. Another thing with the ME is even though its repressive, we have seen the people revolt against their governments lately. Arab Spring, protest in Iraq, protest in Lebanon, protest in Iran. They aren't like the Chinese that fear the CCP. If this stuff starts spreading I can see lots of riots and even worse. What if a Hamas or Hezbollah decide to use their terrorism in regards to this?

And once again the Diamond Cruise. I mean its cruel to say that taking those people off the ship wasn't smart, but there were so many infected people removed from the ship and this could be the spark that the US and Israel (and other countries) needed to spread this.

Lets hope it doesn't snow ball, but I am fearful for the ME as shit is getting hand over there. Another thing with the ME is even though its repressive, we have seen the people revolt against their governments lately. Arab Spring, protest in Iraq, protest in Lebanon, protest in Iran. They aren't like the Chinese that fear the CCP. If this stuff starts spreading I can see lots of riots and even worse. What if a Hamas or Hezbollah decide to use their terrorism in regards to this?

And once again the Diamond Cruise. I mean its cruel to say that taking those people off the ship wasn't smart, but there were so many infected people removed from the ship and this could be the spark that the US and Israel (and other countries) needed to spread this.

Israel should hope no one gets bright ideas on how to fuel the flames.

I'd expect many countries to have a very difficult time controlling their people not just ME countries looking at you Ukraine
Not many places can pull off what the CCP did. I have a feeling the US would have had the worst reactions to Cities being shutdown and people being told not to leave their homes and only to go to the stores every 3 days.

Is it smart to lockdown, yes. Will people behave the same way NOPE

cryptoadam

Banned
Israel should hope no one gets bright ideas on how to fuel the flames.

I'd expect many countries to have a very difficult time controlling their people not just ME countries looking at you Ukraine
Not many places can pull off what the CCP did. I have a feeling the US would have had the worst reactions to Cities being shutdown and people being told not to leave their homes and only to go to the stores every 3 days.

Is it smart to lockdown, yes. Will people behave the same way NOPE

My feelings exactly.

I can't imagine what will happen in the US with all the privately owned guns. People aren't going to stand for China style crack downs. The west isn't used to authoritarian style crack downs. I can only imagine trying to get Billy Bob to go into quarantine and he busts out his shot guns and m16.

Sakura

Really? I'll text him right now. Maybe he was overstating. I was told people are buying up masks like crazy.
Masks have been selling out ever since it was a thing in China. Mostly Chinese people buying them and shipping them to China or reselling. One lady bought 110 packs alone at our store. Now manufacturing isn't keeping up so every where is chronically short stocked. We haven't seen any drop in customers at our store though, and most people seem business as usual.

Son Tofu

Banned
Masks have been selling out ever since it was a thing in China. Mostly Chinese people buying them and shipping them to China or reselling. One lady bought 110 packs alone at our store. Now manufacturing isn't keeping up so every where is chronically short stocked. We haven't seen any drop in customers at our store though, and most people seem business as usual.
Okay, apparently only his neighbor is freaking out and is buying a bunch of masks. My buddy clarified in his latest text (he actually wrote that in the original text - I just misread).

Breakage

Large scale lockdowns, forced quarantines, and overwhelmed medical services won't go down well in diverse western countries. China was able to pull it off because of its homogeneous population and the common understanding that the government is difficult to challenge.
But switch to Western Europe, and I can see things getting wild if there in a major outbreak across several countries. People aren't just gonna go “Ok, we will all stay indoors and remain calm”. The more diverse the population, the more harder it will be to get people to comply with containment procedures.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Still no China numbers, probably still trying to work that spin in.

South Korea looks to be showing 1 death per 100 infected. That’s a hell of a lot more than 3% if that continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom