• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
The failures of the scientific community to provide reliable data, well into this crisis, is more of a concern to me honestly, as are the failings of the WHO and CDC and the media. Nobody handled this well it's a fucking joke, amazing that you can pin it on one man.

Okay, you're right in that regard. The issue started with China and the CDC and information being misreported purposely. The stance on masks, transmission, all that was wrongfully reported and created a scenario of confusion. I should have mentioned this too, you're entirely right. My issue with Trump is that he elected people who know better than him to educate the public on what to do and then continually contradicted them to try and make the situation seem lighter than the reality of it. I understand why you'd want people to not worry but they should be worried. It's all just one big mess now and Trump has done nothing to help.

I take 4000IU daily of Vitamin D3. Recommended dosage, 50MCG x 2. I found out my Vitamin D levels were incredibly low years ago to the point my doctor was surprised so I've been on this stuff for a while.

cryptoadam

Banned
Okay, you're right in that regard. The issue started with China and the CDC and information being misreported purposely. The stance on masks, transmission, all that was wrongfully reported and created a scenario of confusion. I should have mentioned this too, you're entirely right. My issue with Trump is that he elected people who know better than him to educate the public on what to do and then continually contradicted them to try and make the situation seem lighter than the reality of it. I understand why you'd want people to not worry but they should be worried. It's all just one big mess now and Trump has done nothing to help.

Who did he contradict?

His own SG and Fauci were telling people not to wear masks. Thats not from Trump thats what his experts have been saying. Birx and Girord have been talking about laser focus testing and how testing millions doesn't make sense since it can lead to false positives and its only a snap shot. Again Trump listening to his experts.

Fauci/Birx clearly had lots of input on his guidlines. First it was 15 days for mitigation and then he extended it because his experts told him to do so. Then he made the 3 phase plan with tons of gate keeping, all what Birx and Fauci wanted. Fauci keeps saying that states need to follow the guidelines and the gateing so clearly he agrees with it.

So when did he not listen to Fauci/Birx/Girord/Redfield?

Rat Rage

On a sidenote, studies have been done with up to 600000 IU vitamin D administered, You need massive doses to get a toxic effect if you are healthy when it comes to it, only people chugging jars and jars should worry about overdosing.

More than 4000 I.E, which is 100 mcg per day is not safe. If you want to be on a safe side and still get your vitamin d levels ups, 2000 is the sweet spot.

The idea that Fauci's opinions are unquestionable is absolute nonsense. That is the media giving him undue credibility. I'm not saying the guy is an idiot, but he's been dead wrong about this numerous times. He's on record saying this was no big deal. The flu was a bigger issue. He said no masks. Masks were actually bad for us somehow. He's praised China's transparency.

I really dislike the way he will speak in vague terms about the risks of the disease. He doesn't site statistics about the mortality rates among young, healthy adults or children, but he'll cite these essentially anecdotal cases of multi-system inflammatory illnesses in kids. He barely references the antibody studies both here and internationally. Why, I do not know. He seems like a very cautious guy, which I guess I can appreciate. However I would love to hear what he thinks a reasonable solution is going forward, because what we're doing now isn't it. He keeps giving the sort of cop out answer that "he's just talking public health". Well these lockdowns and the crashing of the entire economy are going to have very negative public health consequences. If we're expected to take his word is gospel, he had better speak to that sooner than later.

To me he is no more than a smart guy who's opinion is being given outsize importance even as numerous other experts opinions are being ignored because the media loves the power that public fear has granted them. He's a leading expert in a sea of experts. Fauci should be taken seriously, but the way he's being treated now is ridiculous considering how wrong he's been already.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The only strategy is herd immunity. A lot of people don't seem to realize this, but when it became evident that China and WHO colluded and were not forthcoming with valid and correct information, there has never been any other strategy. It will be by natural exposure / selection AND vaccination. Anyone who tells you otherwise is feeding you unicorn poop with sprinkles.

Agreed - but what are countries where it has never gotten a hold like South Korea and Taiwan going to do? Continue the draconian policies for years if there's no vaccine?

Agreed - but what are countries where it has never gotten a hold like South Korea and Taiwan going to do? Continue the draconian policies for years if there's no vaccine?

Exactly. We need to lock down until when no disease can ever adversely effect anyone ever. Then we need to create a new economic and food distribution system that will allow us to never leave our homes for years and perhaps decades. This is the only responsible thing to do. Frankly, I think it's a lay up and if you don't support this, then you naturally want people to die. So my real question is... why do you hate human life?

Last edited:
Exactly. We need to lock down until when no disease can ever adversely effect anyone ever. Then we need to create a new economic and food distribution system that will allow us to never leave our homes for years and perhaps decades. This is the only responsible thing to do. Frankly, I think it's a layup and if you don't support this, then you naturally want people to die. So my real question is... why do you hate human life?

I love the new terms like “believe in science”. Since when does science require belief?

yeehaw

Banned
By having LAPD tackle people to the ground and handcuff them, while ignoring the murderers they're letting out of jail.
Wow. Fuck that I am going to start ripping masks off random people's faces I see when i'm out. And absolutely no mask on me, as i've said before, it is an INFRINGEMENT on my RIGHTS

fuck LA for doing this! fucking commies

Last edited:

Djau

Banned
Wow. Fuck that I am going to start ripping masks off random people's faces I see when i'm out. And absolutely no mask on me, as i've said before, it is an INFRINGEMENT on my RIGHTS

...Protecting yourself from Coronavirus is an infringement on your rights?...

Lotta crazy people around.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
We need to be very careful - this is going to be a 2-3 year thing. I think people are going to be surprised at the way life will change because of this. Opening up needs to be done gradually and distancing and mask protocol needs to be enforced heavily.
No it doesn't. We are not talking about the black plague. The recovery rate for it is somewhere around 99.9%. Huge amounts of people (up to 50%) show no symptoms. Millions of people have had it and not been tested and treated it the same way they would have the flu.

The idea that we need to reshape society, hand over unlimited power to the government, and destroy the idea of human contact and interaction over THIS... I don't accept it.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Is3sGns.png

lyan

womfalcs3

Banned
The number of global cases yesterday (May 14th) was 95.1 thousand. That's close to the highest number of daily cases since the beginning of the outbreak. And that's before the effects of the re-openings are taken into account.

The US is closing in on 90,000 deaths... will likely reach that number in two days.

Kagey K

Banned
My neck of the woods reopened today, and I don’t know know how to think.

Our case numbers never got terrible, But we went from 350 a day to 50 as soon as they announced our reopening date.

They also postponed reopening some things in our heaviest hit areas, while opening up the same thing in close neighbours. Which makes me think on this long weekend they will take the drive and get what they want and spread it to places that haven’t been hit by it yet.

People are selfish and I don’t trust them.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Boris Johnson has decided Britain needs to tackle its obesity problem given the increased mortality rate among fatties. I’m sure the fatties will complain loudly (while eating lard).

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
How ya'll liking your new police state?

Don't see whats wrong with this. Masks are mandatory in the MTA. They have been for nearly a month. She refused to wear one (wrapping it around your neck doesn't count). Police removed her, just as they would anyone who doesn't follow the rules.

She then proceeded to assault a police officer, which may or may not have led to her being arrested.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game

Turns out that meme about flu bros and the curve is quite close to reality.
That's not the takeaway at all from the article. It shows how dramatically the lockdown affected the transmission rate for the virus. We don't do what we've done for just the flu.

Hard to tell if this is a joke post, but I'm going to assume its serious.
You're free to not wear a mask, just don't expect to be allowed to participate in life outside your home. No one wants to catch your shit.

Last edited:

Djau

Banned
Boris Johnson has decided Britain needs to tackle its obesity problem given the increased mortality rate among fatties. I’m sure the fatties will complain loudly (while eating lard).

Surprising, considering his party was a large part of the reason why its a problem.

HarryKS

That's not the takeaway at all from the article. It shows how dramatically the lockdown affected the transmission rate for the virus. We don't do what we've done for just the flu.
Which meme do you think I'm referring to? We're saying the same thing here, I believe.

The one where people say it's alright and that the numbers aren't so bad but neglect the fact that the lockdown led to lower numbers.

I'm having a really hard time finding it though. It was in this thread.

Last edited:

rykomatsu

Healthy at any size you bigot.

The one where people say it's alright and that the numbers aren't so bad but neglect the fact that the lockdown led to lower numbers.

Show me a pre-work down model that showed anywhere near the amount of case and deaths we are seeing. Otherwise you cannot claim that lock down is working.

Virtually all "best case scenarios" saw most healthcare systems being overwhelmed. The reality is most places are not even reaching 50% capacity.

For all we know, it's the social distancing that is working, not the lockdowns. I think even Cuomo was mentioning that the data indicates Frontline healthcare workers were getting affected at far lower rates than those that stayed home. I believe there one's one or two studies recently claiming similar.

Also since it is a while ago, I cannot find it, but the date correlation of some data started showing an impact on reducing the cases stemming from social distancing measures, not lockdown.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Surprising, considering his party was a large part of the reason why its a problem.

It's remarkable how often you find ways to blame any bad thing on anything to the right of Stalin. Well done. I'd love to know how the Tories made people stuff their faces full of cake, enlighten me oh wise one.

HarryKS

Healthy at any size you bigot.

Show me a pre-work down model that showed anywhere near the amount of case and deaths we are seeing. Otherwise you cannot claim that lock down is working.

Virtually all "best case scenarios" saw most healthcare systems being overwhelmed. The reality is most places are not even reaching 50% capacity.

For all we know, it's the social distancing that is working, not the lockdowns. I think even Cuomo was mentioning that the data indicates Frontline healthcare workers were getting affected at far lower rates than those that stayed home. I believe there one's one or two studies recently claiming similar.

Also since it is a while ago, I cannot find it, but the date correlation of some data started showing an impact on reducing the cases stemming from social distancing measures, not lockdown.
What's a pre-work down model?

pLow7

What rights?
Are seatbelt laws an infringement on your rights too?

92410747-0001-0004-0000-000000628432_w1436_r0.7679144385026738_fpx54.95_fpy49.9.jpg

Translation : Tied up at the car.

This was an Article on 1976 when Germany instated Seatbelt Laws. Pretty ironic considering the situation today.

She got off easy.

Yeah i don't know why people are excusing her shitty behaviour. If masks are mandatory just fuckin use them. She's been asked to wear them and apparently she didn't listen. Yes the cops exagerrated at some point, but she acted like a dickhead the whole time.

Last edited:
Reactions: jts

plushyp

No it doesn't. We are not talking about the black plague. The recovery rate for it is somewhere around 99.9%. Huge amounts of people (up to 50%) show no symptoms. Millions of people have had it and not been tested and treated it the same way they would have the flu.

The idea that we need to reshape society, hand over unlimited power to the government, and destroy the idea of human contact and interaction over THIS... I don't accept it.
Wait, where is that 99.9% recovery rate coming from?

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The idea that Fauci's opinions are unquestionable is absolute nonsense. That is the media giving him undue credibility. I'm not saying the guy is an idiot, but he's been dead wrong about this numerous times. He's on record saying this was no big deal. The flu was a bigger issue. He said no masks. Masks were actually bad for us somehow. He's praised China's transparency.

I really dislike the way he will speak in vague terms about the risks of the disease. He doesn't site statistics about the mortality rates among young, healthy adults or children, but he'll cite these essentially anecdotal cases of multi-system inflammatory illnesses in kids. He barely references the antibody studies both here and internationally. Why, I do not know. He seems like a very cautious guy, which I guess I can appreciate. However I would love to hear what he thinks a reasonable solution is going forward, because what we're doing now isn't it. He keeps giving the sort of cop out answer that "he's just talking public health". Well these lockdowns and the crashing of the entire economy are going to have very negative public health consequences. If we're expected to take his word is gospel, he had better speak to that sooner than later.

To me he is no more than a smart guy who's opinion is being given outsize importance even as numerous other experts opinions are being ignored because the media loves the power that public fear has granted them. He's a leading expert in a sea of experts. Fauci should be taken seriously, but the way he's being treated now is ridiculous considering how wrong he's been already.
It's a developing situation. What is known to be right one week can be outdated the next. Doesn't mean that he doesn't know what he is talking about, just that new evidence came up. Most people still haven't realized that the whole mask issue is still the same. Everybody said they don't help against becoming infected, and that is still true to this day. But they do help in reducing the spread from people that are knowingly or unknowingly infected. That's what they are there for, so you don't infect others, not to protect yourself.

Djau

Banned
It's remarkable how often you find ways to blame any bad thing on anything to the right of Stalin. Well done. I'd love to know how the Tories made people stuff their faces full of cake, enlighten me oh wise one.

By giving contracts for school meals to the lowest bidder; who introduced kids to high sugar, high salt, high fat diets. This was fixed up north thanks to devolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom