• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

this is what the end of the day reporting looks like now

ILBaE7D.png

be careful out there people

hRjvtY4.png
The Netherlands for now looks to be going the right way!!

Arelyon

Banned
It's hilarious how people are still fear mongering with this stupid thing despite proven wrong time and time again.

They were predicting millions upon millions of deaths, 2-3% mortality rate, hell some were even predicting 5-6%, completely wrong and yet still keep spouting shit.

sinnergy

It's hilarious how people are still fear mongering with this stupid thing despite proven wrong time and time again.

They were predicting millions upon millions of deaths, 2-3% mortality rate, hell some were even predicting 5-6%, completely wrong and yet still keep spouting shit.
Because lock downs did nothing ? It’s even more hilarious that people believe that it’s the flu.

Last edited:

HarryKS

Mortality rate is higher than 5% in most countries based on numbers reported., not hearsay.

cryptoadam

Banned
Call me skeptical to take the words of people who used wrong models telling us now that the lock downs saved lives.

Meanwhile where I live 19 cases, when we were the NYC of Canada. Open for a month now. Our lock down was barely enforced. I see maybe 20% of people wearing masks.

Yet somehow our cases have just disappeared.

Maybe we should drop the hubris, we can't play god. Its a virus and its going to do what a virus does. They told us that 60-70% of the world was going to get it but we said nah won't ever happen. They were right back then.

So either we get a vaccine, or we get the herd. If not 99.5% of the people who get this will survive. If you are under 40 its more like 99.99%.

I am patiently waiting to see if the death numbers will exceed those during the lock down. Don't forget while there was a lockdown the US was having 2K + deaths a day so a long ways to go to get there. Lets see if the death numbers will continue to tick up.

Jezbollah

Any kind of mortality rate is only as accurate as the number of testing that is being done, especially when you have a large amount of asymptomatic people.

When tests are only being performed on people that visibilty look to have it, then you will have a high mortality rate.

653 new cases from 232,086 tests in the UK yesterday alone.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Mortality rate is higher than 5% in most countries based on numbers reported., not hearsay.

Do you think that the "numbers reported" are 100% of total cases? Like that there is nobody who got sick without getting a positive test?

Because just fyi, studies are saying that the actual number of cases is anywhere from 10-100 times the total reported.

Last edited:
Hard to sat, state like CA and FL are spiking hard while IL is lowering

Florida is not actually spiking - testing has increased and given a better picture of how many are actually infected:

MaJvaDW.png

Deaths should be roughly proportional to infections, with a lag 1-2 weeks behind infections. That is, if daily new infections double and remained elevated (such as from May 29th to June 9th in the chart above) then deaths should start rising in proportion over time as well. As you can see with Florida, their deaths have not changed at all since their infection numbers started increasing around May 29th, and given that over three weeks have passed since then to June 23rd there should have been an increase in daily deaths if the new infections represented an actual increase in infections vs increased testing revealing how many were actually infected.

We never actually knew how many people were infected in New York, which is why their death rate of infected is around 10%. Now that testing has expanded, that death rate is significantly lower across the country.

Last edited:

Given what I talked about in my previous post, the infection numbers for the states which were infected earlier (New England, Upper Midwest) are likely significantly underreported. New York, for example, reports 30,927 deaths and 388,000 infected to date, which give an 8% death rate.

As testing has expanded, we are seeing the actual death rate of infected dropping significantly, with most states showing 1-2% so far and continually dropping as testing expands even further. Assuming uniform spread through demographics, this means that the actual number of people who are/have been infect in New York is 4-8x what they are reporting, so somewhere between 8-16% of the population of New York has been infected. The area under the curve for New England infections on that stacked graph should be 4-8x higher than shown in reality, while the South and Western infections are relatively more accurate, especially over the past few months.

Last edited:
Florida is not actually spiking - testing has increased and given a better picture of how many are actually infected:

MaJvaDW.png

Deaths should be roughly proportional to infections, with a lag 1-2 weeks behind infections. That is, if daily new infections double and remained elevated (such as from May 29th to June 9th in the chart above) then deaths should start rising in proportion over time as well. As you can see with Florida, their deaths have not changed at all since their infection numbers started increasing around May 29th, and given that over three weeks have passed since then to June 23rd there should have been an increase in daily deaths if the new infections represented an actual increase in infections vs increased testing revealing how many were actually infected.

We never actually knew how many people were infected in New York, which is why their death rate of infected is around 10%. Now that testing has expanded, that death rate is significantly lower across the country.

On Saturday, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) acknowledged that the rising number of new COVID-19 cases in the state cannot be explained only by an increase in testing.

“Even with the testing increasing or being flat, the number of people testing positive is accelerating faster than that,” DeSantis told reporters during a news conference at the state capitol, according to Politico. “You know that’s evidence that there’s transmission within those communities.”

“The increased tests in the state of Florida began in the middle of May. The increased numbers did not begin until two to three weeks later. If [the spike] was just due to increased numbers, we would have immediately seen an increased number of positive test results in the middle of May and that was not the case,” said Dr. Juan Dumois, a pediatric infectious disease physician at Johns Hopkins All Children’s Hospital. “So we are seeing the increased numbers now because there’s more virus going around.”

Quoted URLs

So why has there not been a significant increase in daily deaths over the past three weeks as their cases spiked? If the actual infections increased versus known infections increasing, then deaths would increase as well after the lag. Deaths should have increased in the past week at least, but the daily deaths remain flat.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
So why has there not been a significant increase in daily deaths over the past three weeks as their cases spiked? If the actual infections increased versus known infections increasing, then deaths would increase as well after the lag. Deaths should have increased in the past week at least, but the daily deaths remain flat.

As some have said, the majority of infections right now are younger people, as opposed to wiping out nursing homes as it was in April.

ManaByte

sinnergy

Behave or feel the consequences, that’s it. Not hard to understand . Keep distance, wash your hands more often , avoid crowded places , wear a mask instructed.

Until a vaccine, it’s what it is, this way is going pretty good here in The Netherlands.

Blame the virus.

ManaByte

Behave or feel the consequences, that’s it. Not hard to understand . Keep distance, wash your hands more often , avoid crowded places , wear a mask instructed.

Until a vaccine, it’s what it is, this way is going pretty good here in The Netherlands.

Blame the virus.

Name one virus besides Polio that has successfully had a vaccine made.

The flu shot is not a vaccine. It's a 50/50 gamble they take each flu season based on which strain they THINK will be going around, which is why you can get the flu shot and still catch the flu.

CDC reports the current vaccine is showing to be 45% effective against the strains of flu that went around the last flu season. Whats your definition of success?

ManaByte

CDC reports the current vaccine is showing to be 45% effective against the strains of flu that went around the last flu season. Whats your definition of success?

Seeing as how Dem governors like Newsom are saying a "cure", 45% doesn't sound like a cure and it's a fallacy just to keep states in lockdown and the economy tanked.

Seeing as how Dem governors like Newsom are saying a "cure", 45% doesn't sound like a cure and it's a fallacy just to keep states in lockdown and the economy tanked.

Well, the idea of keeping everything locked down for another year will work itself out. The genie is out of the bottle now; I dont think anybody is going back into lockdown. As far as the politicians go, they might drum on and on about a "cure" but if we get any kind of vaccine in the neighborhood of effectiveness as the flu vaccine, they will probably just latch on to that and prop it up as the "cure" they have been talking about.

or as soon as they realize that talks or threats of lockdowns will cost them more in the polls compared to waiting for a cure, they will change their tune.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Well, the idea of keeping everything locked down for another year will work itself out. The genie is out of the bottle now; I dont think anybody is going back into lockdown. As far as the politicians go, they might drum on and on about a "cure" but if we get any kind of vaccine in the neighborhood of effectiveness as the flu vaccine, they will probably just latch on to that and prop it up as the "cure" they have been talking about.

People will go into lockdown when the Dem governors start revoking licenses. Whitmer did it in Michigan and Newsom has threatened to do it in CA. You can't open your business if they revoke your license and toss you into jail.

That's why Newsom emptied the prisons in CA. So there's room for the people who don't follow his edicts.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Newsom is threatening to lockdown CA again. Real convenient how officially sanctioned protests and riots happened, and then they have an excuse to lockdown again before the election.

So why didn't the riots cause an uptick in infections in New York, or Illinois or Michigan?

Oh right, because they had a lockdown.

The protests did not lead to the spike in cases. It was the premature easing of the lockdown. End of story.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Name one virus besides Polio that has successfully had a vaccine made.

Smallpox
Measles
Mumps
Rubella
Polio
Varicella
Rotovirus
Respiratory Syncytial virus
Rabies
Influenza
Hepatitis A
Hepatitis B
Hepatitis E
HPV
Japanese Encephalitis
TBE
Yellow Fever

Need I go on? This doesn't even mention all the bacterial vacccines available.

The flu shot is not a vaccine. It's a 50/50 gamble they take each flu season based on which strain they THINK will be going around, which is why you can get the flu shot and still catch the flu.
lol I can't even

Do even you know the difference between odds and percentages?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned

MaJvaDW.png

Aha!

DeSantais is hiding the deaths. He is fudging the death numbers. He has secret morgues across the city where he is burning America's grandparents.

🤡 🌏 :messenger_ok:

cryptoadam

Banned
Newsom is threatening to lockdown CA again. Real convenient how officially sanctioned protests and riots happened, and then they have an excuse to lockdown again before the election.

I mean real convinent. Lock downs are ending business opening back up, economy turning around. Unleash protests to burn and destroy business's and keep everything closed. Then protest die down and business again opening up threaten another lock down.

Possible virus mutation? I know they are saying that there is no evidence of this but there is never evidence of it, until there is. It would potentially explain the stable death numbers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I mean real convinent. Lock downs are ending business opening back up, economy turning around. Unleash protests to burn and destroy business's and keep everything closed. Then protest die down and business again opening up threaten another lock down.

Man I’ve been saying this for months. This is like a sick psychological experiment to break us. I can’t imagine any plausible reason for all this nonsense, threats, conflicting info, endless hysteria, power grabs, etc., for a virus that a huge chunk of infected do not know they have. It is nuts.

Aha!

DeSantais is hiding the deaths. He is fudging the death numbers. He has secret morgues across the city where he is burning America's grandparents.

🤡 🌏 :messenger_ok:

It's funny, I was trying to look at past year deaths from February-June and got bored because they were split up into weekly reports and I'm not paid to do this shit for 100 weekly reports (20 weeks for 5 years). So I Googled and found some sources talking about excess deaths (=2020 deaths during period - average of 2015-2019 deaths during period) and even then I am not convinced. None of those sources noted the deaths for individual past years, just the average, and depending on how much they vary 2020 could be reasonably close to them. You can't just compare an average to a test value without taking into account variability.

Of course, then you get into an arbitrary definition of what "reasonable" is in terms of 2020 versus the average, e.g. a confidence interval of 75% 80%?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
What exactly would this conspiracy even achieve and how would it even work?

And again: nearly every single state that opened up while numbers were still increasing is seeing ongoing cases. The states that stayed locked down until their numbers got down are not seeing spikes and are keeping their numbers low. I get that there are a lot of states to keep track of, but you should really do a bit of research before you start peddling your nutbar conspiracy theories.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
What exactly would this conspiracy even achieve and how would it even work?

And again: nearly every single state that opened up while numbers were still increasing is seeing ongoing cases. The states that stayed locked down until their numbers got down are not seeing spikes and are keeping their numbers low. I get that there are a lot of states to keep track of, but you should really do a bit of research before you start peddling your nutbar conspiracy theories.

Prevent Trump from being elected.

Yes these leaders are willing to put politics above your health. Proof? About face on protests for BLM.

Where i live we opened up 6 weeks ago and now we have 19 cases today 15 yesterday 16 the day before.

Its a virus it does what it wants.

MrMephistoX

Newsom forced Disney to delay the reopening of Disneyland:

See this is where I hope corporations wise up and stop donating almost exclusively to Democrats in California. I worked for Disney corporate I know how seriously they take health and safety of their guests: they wouldn’t put profit over a potential lawsuit from guests, they hire their own intelligence and health analysts many of whom are former government, law enforcement, health, military and intelligence officials. Bob Chapek and Bob Iger effectively run 6 self sufficient small cities in the theme parks and consume more resources to make guests happy than your average town on a daily basis.

Despite knowing their business better than anyone they get over ridden by a dude with a smarmy career politician law degree who literally ran San Francisco into the urine, drug needle and feces soaked woke hellhole that it is right now.

This is also how I knew that COVID was serious shit back in March: Disney knew what they were doing taking that big of a business hit and they also know it’s safe now with the proper precautions.

Last edited:

ManaByte

See this is where I hope corporations wise up and stop donating almost exclusively to Democrats in California. I worked for Disney corporate I know how seriously they take health and safety of their guests: they wouldn’t put profit against a potential lawsuit from guests, they hire their own intelligence and health analysts many of whom are former government, law enforcement, health, military and intelligence officials. Bob Chapek and Bob Iger effectively run 6 self sufficient small cities in the theme parks and consume more resources to make guests happy than your average town on a daily basis.

Despite knowing their business better than anyone they get over ridden by a dude with a law degree who literally ran San Francisco into the urine, drug needle and feces soaked woke hellhole that it is right now.

But his auntie is speaker of the house! He's important!

Azzurri

SO if you google "any 3 digit number"+ new cases, it's kinda wild tbh. I'm not saying there is an agenda behind this, but......

Last edited:

Joe T.

SO if you google "any 3 digit number"+ new cases, it's kinda wild tbh. I'm not saying there is an agenda behind this, but......

Speaking of agendas...

Research published last week by the Brookings Institution, a Washington-based think tank, predicted the U.S. could see 300,000 to 500,000 fewer births next year.

A baby bust is still likely coming in the next year, according to both Gugl and Tom McCormack, a business economist from Metro Economics in Burlington, Ont., who spoke to CTV News in April.

“I don't think in this world right now people are going to be feeling too good about bringing kids into it,” McCormack said.

bill-gates.jpg

HarryKS

Do you think that the "numbers reported" are 100% of total cases? Like that there is nobody who got sick without getting a positive test?

Because just fyi, studies are saying that the actual number of cases is anywhere from 10-100 times the total reported.

Yeah, but here's the amazing thing about science and data and mathematics.

It doesn't operate based on what could be observed. The numbers are the numbers. It is observable and reliable.

Simple.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yeah, but here's the amazing thing about science and data and mathematics.

It doesn't operate based on what could be observed. The numbers are the numbers. It is observable and reliable.

Simple.

No, that’s terrible science, worse data, and worthless mathematics. I know of what I speak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom