• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryptoadam

Banned
I know it escapes the general media but hasnt the consensus for a while been that the death rate would be low? The risk is in its high infection rate and the burden on the healthcare system of dealing with those small percentage of people who get COVID in a bad way. Lockdowns were meant to slow the infection rate, not decrease the case fatality rate (except in instances where the healthcare system is overwhelmed and potentially savable people die due to lack of care)

Nope. The media pushed the lie that the IFR was 3.5% or higher. Media has basically made the virus out to be deadly to anyone who catches it.

Just go back and read pages here for the arguments that this is a deadlier flu, this isn't a deadlier flu.

and the Lockdowns started as a way to save the health care system and then slowly morphed into preventing anyone from ever getting infected again.

sinnergy

I know it escapes the general media but hasnt the consensus for a while been that the death rate would be low? The risk is in its high infection rate and the burden on the healthcare system of dealing with those small percentage of people who get COVID in a bad way. Lockdowns were meant to slow the infection rate, not decrease the case fatality rate (except in instances where the healthcare system is overwhelmed and potentially savable people die due to lack of care)
Yes, and that this virus is unpredictable, I know young people that got it bad , who says it won’t take years to get your full strength back, viruses can do that , I know, I had one. So if you let it rip you never know how many will die, or be less productive, needing government help or need hospitalization and weeks care .

it’s not for nothing the world reacts the way it does.

IFR is kept in check by these measures , what happens is New York and Italy if you are to late or let it. We have all seen it, what’s so hard to understand?

You have to stop or regulate the spread to keep everything in check, otherwise you have a shit show.

like Australia and parts of theUS now have , because of the mild and asymtomic people , and opening up to early, most young it can spread out of sight until it becomes a problem.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

i think the important points are
  • Scientists were wrong and stuck with bad numbers because they wanted the public to do what they wanted them to do
  • Scientist with power would not engage with those challenging the data.
  • Scientists were affected by politics
so the end result is hundreds of billions or more lost and people’s lives damaged without real information being available to those affected so they can make a decsion. Is it any wonder people don't trust climate guys?

So Sweden made the right choice.

also facebook censoring nobel laureate, wtf?

Yes, and that this virus is unpredictable, I know young people that got it bad , who says it won’t take years to get your full strength back, viruses can do that , I know, I had one. So if you let it rip you never know how many will die, or be less productive, needing government help or need hospitalization and weeks care .

it’s not for nothing the world reacts the way it does.

IFR is kept in check by these measures , what happens is Mew York and Italy if you are to late or let it.

all valid, and it is a hard decsion. But lying about data and silencing critics? How is that ethical or democratic. Some people really don’t want the rabble making decisions.

Yes, and that this virus is unpredictable, I know young people that got it bad , who says it won’t take years to get your full strength back, viruses can do that

Not exactly the same situation, of course, but I had pneumonia once really bad when I was in my early 20's. I was still chewing metal and shitting nails in my prime, and it took a long, long time before I felt like myself again. (many months)

Nope. The media pushed the lie that the IFR was 3.5% or higher. Media has basically made the virus out to be deadly to anyone who catches it.

Just go back and read pages here for the arguments that this is a deadlier flu, this isn't a deadlier flu.

and the Lockdowns started as a way to save the health care system and then slowly morphed into preventing anyone from ever getting infected again.

IFR for the US is currently at 4,8% with 127 thousand deaths out of 2,6 million known cases. You can make up any number of unknown infections. If that '500 in a million' is true then 254 million Americans need to have had the virus and it should all be over in a few weeks.

cryptoadam

Banned
IFR for the US is currently at 4,8% with 127 thousand deaths out of 2,6 million known cases. You can make up any number of unknown infections. If that '500 in a million' is true then 254 million Americans need to have had the virus and it should all be over in a few weeks.

CDC is saying its .26-.5. The younger you are the lower the death rate. If you are under 30 its practically 0.

Even most estimates put it at the high end of 1%, and thats taking into account people above 80 where it shoots up.

But thats proving my point. The media is still putting out the message that this virus has a very high death rate when pretty much all the evidence points to the opposite.

Ornlu

Banned

That's an interesting thought...I'd say, if we're having some real-talk...probably 90-100 million people in the US have had it at some point since January. I know there's been a lot of FUD around the antibody testing, but all of those tests done around the country showed significant percentages of people had already had it.

cryptoadam

Banned
But their suicides wont kill grandma. As long as they wore a mask when they jumped off the bridge its all good. And bonus we can mark it as a COVID death.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The whole situation is so ludicrous. People are scared of each other and the mask thing is absolutely ridiculous, all for a mild case of the flu for the vast majority of people. I literally cannot believe we are in the situation we are in now, and it looks like it is going to drag on indefinitely. The media and (primarily Democratic) governors are in total control of this hysteria and they push out whatever story they want with no pushback. Note the ease with which they switched back to COVID after BLM. It's all case number case number case number hysteria. They make up stories about overcrowded hospitals and bam, it's over. They're acting like the shutdown is the default state of affairs and any opening is a gift.

This is no way to live.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The whole situation is so ludicrous. People are scared of each other and the mask thing is absolutely ridiculous, all for a mild case of the flu for the vast majority of people. I literally cannot believe we are in the situation we are in now, and it looks like it is going to drag on indefinitely. The media and (primarily Democratic) governors are in total control of this hysteria and they push out whatever story they want with no pushback. Note the ease with which they switched back to COVID after BLM. It's all case number case number case number hysteria. They make up stories about overcrowded hospitals and bam, it's over. They're acting like the shutdown is the default state of affairs and any opening is a gift.

This is no way to live.

The flu is a virus we've been dealing with a long time that mutates almost annually. That's why we get a flu shot each year for the previous year's flu. It isn't as lethal because, since we've been dealing with it for generations, most people have some immunity or can least develop some even as a child during their first infection. This is a novel virus, a novel disease. Almost no one had any immunity early on.

Masks work because the infected expel the virus via some moisture based vehicle. Breath, mucous, etc. A N95 respirator is ideal, but even simple cloth can stop moisture in many cases. This is proven, it's science. In fact it's basic science. Like, fifth grade make a simple experiment to prove it's effective science.

The media isn't pushing any narrative. Democratic governors aren't in total control of anything. We've had such pandemics in the past, we know the science behind them, responsible Democrat governors are merely following the best practices offered by scientists.

I work in the periphery of healthcare and know many people who work at hospitals. My girlfriend does (technician). They get overloaded quickly from these things, often even when they plan ahead and staff up in preparation. This is an obvious reality anyone can merely observe. If you're brave visit a hospital in an area with a surge due to an early reopening. I have, out of necessity. Have a blast. Be sure to tell the doctors and nurses working double shifts for weeks on end with limited resources that this is all a myth that their Democrat governor merely made up, and the hundreds of sick people they're treating and the dozens dying are just figments of their imagination.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The flu is a virus we've been dealing with a long time that mutates almost annually. That's why we get a flu shot each year for the previous year's flu. It isn't as lethal because, since we've been dealing with it for generations, most people have some immunity or can least develop some even as a child during their first infection. This is a novel virus, a novel disease. Almost no one had any immunity early on.

Masks work because the infected expel the virus via some moisture based vehicle. Breath, mucous, etc. A N95 respirator is ideal, but even simple cloth can stop moisture in many cases. This is proven, it's science. In fact it's basic science. Like, fifth grade make a simple experiment to prove it's effective science.

The media isn't pushing any narrative. Democratic governors aren't in total control of anything. We've had such pandemics in the past, we know the science behind them, responsible Democrat governors are merely following the best practices offered by scientists.

I work in the periphery of healthcare and know many people who work at hospitals. My girlfriend does (technician). They get overloaded quickly from these things, often even when they plan ahead and staff up in preparation. This is an obvious reality anyone can merely observe. If you're brave visit a hospital in an area with a surge due to an early reopening. I have, out of necessity. Have a blast. Be sure to tell the doctors and nurses working double shifts for weeks on end with limited resources that this is all a myth and their Democrat governor merely made up the hundreds of sick people they're treating and the dozens dying.

Yes keep being scared. Maybe you will get this deadly virus and not even know you have it. Meanwhile all businesses can close and we can have mass mental health issues and dysfunction. Maybe after 30 years of this we can finally talk to other human beings again and breathe normally in public.

Edit: rather than just be glib I'll tell you why it is a narrative. There were plenty of scientists out there giving other ideas and suggestions and theories. Did the media treat them as experienced scientists and doctors, you could even say experts? Of course not. They were systematically pushed out of the public square - banned from YouTube, etc. They didn't get a say or consideration. Absolutely no viewpoint that dissented from the lockdown orthodoxy was allowed. That is why it is a narrative.

Thing is, months on, we can go back and see what those people said vs. what the lockdown maniacs said, and I think it's obvious the dissenters were more correct than the ones pushing the orthodoxy. Except to this day, those same lockdown maniacs, and the same storylines, persist, with, again, absolutely no dissenting viewpoints or considerations allowed.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Newsom is locking down CA tomorrow, blaming family gatherings and not the protests:

“One of the areas of biggest concern as it relates to the areas to the spread of COVID-19 in the state remains family gatherings — not just bars, not just out and, you know, streets were people are protesting, and the like — it’s specifically family gatherings where family members, or rather households — extended and immediate family members — begin to mix and they take down their guard,” he said.

Will Nancy Pelosi's Nephew be the first governor ousted by force in the US?

diffusionx

Gold Member
Newsom is locking down CA tomorrow, blaming family gatherings and not the protests:

Will Nancy Pelosi's Nephew be the first governor ousted by force in the US?

Yes, even if true, does Newsom not understand that people will take the risk to see their damn families? Like, who the fuck does he think he is that he can step in or criticize our ability and desire to see family. Given the choice between getting a mild flu-like illness for a week or never seeing my family until the governor tells me I can, I'll take the former thanks.

The irony of it, too, is if he does something like, say, eliminating gatherings of more than 10 people, all that means is that people won't gather in open air parks but instead in houses where it can circulate more. And yes it is amazing how they just switched stories and got away from the protests.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yes, even if true, does Newsom not understand that people will take the risk to see their damn families? Like, who the fuck does he think he is that he can step in or criticize our ability and desire to see family. Given the choice between getting a mild flu-like illness for a week or never seeing my family until the governor tells me I can, I'll take the former thanks.

The irony of it, too, is if he does something like, say, eliminating gatherings of more than 10 people, all that means is that people won't gather in open air parks but instead in houses where it can circulate more. And yes it is amazing how they just switched stories and got away from the protests.

He's also shutting down the economy two weeks before the pandemic unemployment ends. So you'll have people unable to work with NO income at all. '

The governor's mansion in CA is going to be burned down if he tries this.

cryptoadam

Banned
But he will not ban BLM protests i bet disgusting.

Why would anyone listen to him. Are the cops really going to arrest people when they shit on them and slashing budgets.

The lock downs didnt work maybe you try something different. Most of the US has heen open for 2 months and the death rate has been falling. Meanwhile the deaths were peaking during the lock down.

I dont think one country that ended its lockdowns have seen exponential growth in their deaths. Maybe cases went up but not deaths.

Lock down failed and destroyed the economy. 5 governors caused half the Nursing home deaths and were more responsible for the inflated death count numbers than any family gathering or hair cut.

ManaByte

Gold Member
But he will not ban BLM protests i bet disgusting.

Why would anyone listen to him. Are the cops really going to arrest people when they shit on them and slashing budgets.

The lock downs didnt work maybe you try something different. Most of the US has heen open for 2 months and the death rate has been falling. Meanwhile the deaths were peaking during the lock down.

I dont think one country that ended its lockdowns have seen exponential growth in their deaths. Maybe cases went up but not deaths.

Lock down failed and destroyed the economy. 5 governors caused half the Nursing home deaths and were more responsible for the inflated death count numbers than any family gathering or hair cut.

They'll shut down water and power to businesses that remain open and revoke licenses to shut them down.

cryptoadam

Banned
Hi!
How's it going?
Are you still going in to work?
If possible, I really think you need to stop. Are the drugs you are taking for your back immunosuppressant?
You need to stock up on food now. Gross stuff...like canned veggies and fruit and pasta and oatmeal and lentils and beans...enough to last months. If you don't self-isolate, you will end up with the virus. It may be a mild case (hopefully) or in the worst case scenario you may end up in the hospital. Please consider telling your employer you are not comfortable at work.

Do you want to come self-isolate with us???? We have food. We may do one final run tomorrow, but then I think we are done going out. You can come stay with us...but then you can't come and go. We are not going to have contact with the outside world. You probably think I'm crazy and overreacting. I hope that I am!!!! But I would rather be safe than sorry. I don't want this virus. It's true that it could be mild. But it could also be life threatening. Kaylee had asthma and I want to do everything in my power to protect her and her fragile lungs. Please be safe and stay healthy. I love you!!! I don't want you to get sick. I don't want you to end up in the hospital alone with no one visiting you, because we are not allowed. I love you. Let me know your plans. You are totally welcome to come here with us, if you think it will be lonely by yourself in your apartment. Or come stay with us.

My sister sent me this message on March 18th. This is how scared we became of the virus. And my sister has 4 kids and is partner in her accounting firm. She is one of the sanest normal person i know.

Love my sister though. Mind virus made us all crazy. Saw her last week got some ice cream for her 4 kids lol.

end of day numbers

US

Julxt8N.png

World

fIi1kfo.png

souce

Nymphae

Banned
Paper from May, 455 people exposed to asymptomatic carriers, 0 contracted Covid.

Material and methods
455 contacts who were exposed to the asymptomatic COVID-19 virus carrier became the subjects of our research. They were divided into three groups: 35 patients, 196 family members and 224 hospital staffs. We extracted their epidemiological information, clinical records, auxiliary examination results and therapeutic schedules.

Conclusion
In summary, all the 455 contacts were excluded from SARS-CoV-2 infection and we conclude that the infectivity of some asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers might be weak.

Stouffers

Banned
I still find it crazy that I predicted the virus was going to hit American in a BIG way long ago but people didn't listen to me and even our health experts and leaders couldn't see it coming or didn't want to admit it. Once I knew it hit Italy in a big way it was only a matter of time for America.

It's just common sense that America has the highest diversity of immigrants in the world and that millions of people travel here for both business and pleasure. I also knew NY city would be the epicenter for that same very reason. Even my roommate who is in school to become a nurse didn't believe me and said he wasn't worried about it.
You’re like a modern day Nostradamus. We didn’t listen. WE DIDNT LISTEN!!

Paper from May, 455 people exposed to asymptomatic carriers, 0 contracted Covid.

Someone posted that diagram of how infective particles are blocked by masked and how much emitted particles are decreased - COVID-19 was blocked almost entirely by masks vs the flu and cold. Of course, this implies that COVID-19 produces is less infectious normally than the cold and flu as well, as the vector is the same for all three viruses.

Nymphae

Banned
COVID-19 was blocked almost entirely by masks vs the flu and cold

I need to look into this a bit more because I'm reading a lot of conflicting opinions on the efficacy of the masks. The best available, the N95 masks, trap 95% of particles 300 nm in size, while the covid virus is 125 nm.

I need to look into this a bit more because I'm reading a lot of conflicting opinions on the efficacy of the masks. The best available, the N95 masks, trap 95% of particles 300 nm in size, while the covid virus is 125 nm.

I can't remember what page it was one, but it was about masks blocking exhaled viruses, not inhaled ones. Even a simple hospital mask is useful for blocking exhaled viruses because they are not fully aerosolized when breathed out, so the droplets of moisture get caught in the mask. It's not a matter of the size of the virus, just the exhaled moisture droplets getting caught. If less COVID gets through a mask versus the cold or flu with the same mask, then logically there must be less COVID to start with.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Big if true. It means we can finally do away with this mask insanity.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Yes keep being scared. Maybe you will get this deadly virus and not even know you have it. Meanwhile all businesses can close and we can have mass mental health issues and dysfunction. Maybe after 30 years of this we can finally talk to other human beings again and breathe normally in public.

Edit: rather than just be glib I'll tell you why it is a narrative. There were plenty of scientists out there giving other ideas and suggestions and theories. Did the media treat them as experienced scientists and doctors, you could even say experts? Of course not. They were systematically pushed out of the public square - banned from YouTube, etc. They didn't get a say or consideration. Absolutely no viewpoint that dissented from the lockdown orthodoxy was allowed. That is why it is a narrative.

Thing is, months on, we can go back and see what those people said vs. what the lockdown maniacs said, and I think it's obvious the dissenters were more correct than the ones pushing the orthodoxy. Except to this day, those same lockdown maniacs, and the same storylines, persist, with, again, absolutely no dissenting viewpoints or considerations allowed.

Sometimes there are dissenting scientists for things, sure. Even though most evidence shows otherwise. This has been the case since the 1800's. It doesn't mean the incorrect scientists need to be taken seriously.

This is why there is a process. Peer reviewed journals. Extensive years-long testing. Why poor and incorrect science is wheedled out.

Just as with the Spanish Flu and Smallpox and all the others, when this monster is finally put to bed we'll have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and see why alarmists were so wrong, and how things could have gone better if people merely listened to those who are actually educated and trained in these subjects.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sometimes there are dissenting scientists for things, sure. Even though most evidence shows otherwise. This has been the case since the 1800's. It doesn't mean the incorrect scientists need to be taken seriously.

This is why there is a process. Peer reviewed journals. Extensive years-long testing. Why poor and incorrect science is wheedled out.

Just as with the Spanish Flu and Smallpox and all the others, when this monster is finally put to bed we'll have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight and see why alarmists were so wrong, and how things could have gone better if people merely listened to those who are actually educated and trained in these subjects.

You're wrong. You're acting like the dissenting scientists were quacks. They were the ones who were correct. If we took the dissenting scientists seriously, we would be in much better shape right now, as a society. If we listened to those doctors banned from YouTube instead of Fauci we would be in a much stronger place. We went with the most alarmist, insane, hysterical "scientists" whose work turned out to be junk and were completely 100% wrong. We actually figured this out by week 2 or 3 of the lockdown, we didn't need years of evidence and bullshit peer reviewed journals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis).

The problem is, in light of this knowledge, we are still deciding to go the alarmist, insane, hysterical route. Nobody is being reasonable. I see no evidence of "bad science being wheedled out." In fact, the science they're floating out there now is even worse than the science they were talking about before. I also find this idea that this stupid COVID is comparable in any way to spanish flu and smallpox to be part of that hysteria. It's just not, period.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned

"The incorrect scientists". And you know they're "incorrect" how? Because somebody else said something that confirms your biases? Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain?

Peer reviewed journals.

"It's science!!" Unfortunately "science" nowadays is largely pay for play. The peer review process is riddled with bias and abuse. Studies are financed by entities with vested interests in particular outcomes. And it's extremely easy to sweep whatever doesn't fit with the narrative under the rug especially with a complicit media.

And yeah tell me more about the "extensive years-long testing" backing all the nonsense we've been fed about COVID that all turned out to be wrong? The internet doesn't forget. What these "contrarians" were saying in March by and large ended up closer to the truth than what the alarmists worshipped by the mainstream were saying (I'm not sure why you used "alarmists" to describe those contrarians as that makes no sense).

At every turn the goalposts are moved. At no point will anyone admit they were off base in the least. It's just constantly doubling down. "Three weeks to flatten the curve!" has become "18 months of ubiquitous face masks to build a bridge to mark of the beast style immunity passports". The world has gone insane. If there's any shred of justice in this world, the lockdown lunatics and the mask nazis will eventually be widely regarded as having been on the wrong side of history with this, a cautionary tale of how irrational fear and groupthink nearly led to the downfall of society..

Last edited:

pel1300

Fuck it if you're in California...even if you are politically rightwing.....just wear a BLM shirt and say you are protesting....even if you don't support BLM at least people will not give you any shit.

That's what I would do if I were in California. I simply cannot stay inside...especially in the summer.

I'm so sick of this nonsense. Stay home and shop at walmart/big supermarkets.....oh and transmission is more likely indoors....but we have to close the beaches and parks...but we encourage you to protest shoulder by shoulder for BLM....but you can't gather in groups larger than 10 people....unless it's for BLM.

And yet no one is skeptical or holding the leaders and media accountable for all of these contradictions....only on message boards where people have anonymity. What has happened? Feels like everyone has the memory and attention span of a goldfish now. It's been a terrible year. I blame the lock downs for making people this easy to manipulate.

That's an interesting thought...I'd say, if we're having some real-talk...probably 90-100 million people in the US have had it at some point since January. I know there's been a lot of FUD around the antibody testing, but all of those tests done around the country showed significant percentages of people had already had it.

Yes, everyone is free to come up with a number of actual covid cases which cannot be proven or disproven. But for the 'covid kills no more then 500 people per million' hypothesis to be true there can not be more then 163.500 total deaths in the US for the entire duration of the pandemic. And looking at the data this is not likely to be the case.

Last edited:

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Big if true. It means we can finally do away with this mask insanity.
The article is about a woman who religiously wore a mask and did not spread COVID19 to a single person, all of whom were also wearing masks. That's an interesting way to interpret it. You should probably skip a career in health policy.

"The incorrect scientists". And you know they're "incorrect" how? Because somebody else said something that confirms your biases? Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain?

Peer reviewed journals.

"It's science!!" Unfortunately "science" nowadays is largely pay for play. The peer review process is riddled with bias and abuse. Studies are financed by entities with vested interests in particular outcomes. And it's extremely easy to sweep whatever doesn't fit with the narrative under the rug especially with a complicit media.

And yeah tell me more about the "extensive years-long testing" backing all the nonsense we've been fed about COVID that all turned out to be wrong? The internet doesn't forget. What these "contrarians" were saying in March by and large ended up closer to the truth than what the alarmists worshipped by the mainstream were saying (I'm not sure why you used "alarmists" to describe those contrarians as that makes no sense).

At every turn the goalposts are moved. At no point will anyone admit they were off base in the least. It's just constantly doubling down. "Three weeks to flatten the curve!" has become "18 months of ubiquitous face masks to build a bridge to mark of the beast style immunity passports". The world has gone insane. If there's any shred of justice in this world, the lockdown lunatics and the mask nazis will eventually be widely regarded as having been on the wrong side of history with this, a cautionary tale of how irrational fear and groupthink nearly led to the downfall of society..

Society is going to collapse because you're asked to wear a mask while in Safeway? Think about what you're saying before you start accusing other people of being hysterical.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
I even started wearing masks where I don't need to, because I realized how much saliva people expel just by speaking and breathing. It's disgusting.

Also LOL at still pretending that it's just a flu after having been shown so many, many times that it is not. Some never want to learn. The issue of Covid-19 is not that it's highly deadly on its own, it's that it's highly infectious and has much higher numbers of hospitalization than the flu. Which means that it easily overloads the health system by the sheer number of patients requiring hospital treatment, which THEN increases its death rate to levels ten times higher than the flu. Because with the flu, 20 % of the infected do not need rebreathers. And that's why you need to keep the numbers of infections on a low level that the health system can cope with for now. And that's why you lock down and wear masks. Because if you don't, guess what, you start to die of things entirely not corona related simply because the hospitals are full with covid-19 patients and a simply fractured bone can't be treated anymore.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I even started wearing masks where I don't need to, because I realized how much saliva people expel just by speaking and breathing. It's disgusting.

Also LOL at still pretending that it's just a flu after having been shown so many, many times that it is not. Some never want to learn. The issue of Covid-19 is not that it's highly deadly on its own, it's that it's highly infectious and has much higher numbers of hospitalization than the flu. Which means that it easily overloads the health system by the sheer number of patients requiring hospital treatment, which THEN increases its death rate to levels ten times higher than the flu. Because with the flu, 20 % of the infected do not need rebreathers. And that's why you need to keep the numbers of infections on a low level that the health system can cope with for now. And that's why you lock down and wear masks. Because if you don't, guess what, you start to die of things entirely not corona related simply because the hospitals are full with covid-19 patients and a simply fractured bone can't be treated anymore.

Yeah. Or hospitals start making decisions to ration care, which I'm sure the anti-maskers/covid deniers will be the first to scream bloody murder over.

Also, re: all this talk about the authorities getting it wrong. Reminder that Anthony Fauci predicted 100,000 to 200,000 deaths in March and "millions of cases".
The U.S. currently sits 129,000 deaths and about 3 million cases. If Dr. Fauci is wrong, it won't be because he overestimated the virus.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
You're wrong. You're acting like the dissenting scientists were quacks. They were the ones who were correct. If we took the dissenting scientists seriously, we would be in much better shape right now, as a society. If we listened to those doctors banned from YouTube instead of Fauci we would be in a much stronger place. We went with the most alarmist, insane, hysterical "scientists" whose work turned out to be junk and were completely 100% wrong. We actually figured this out by week 2 or 3 of the lockdown, we didn't need years of evidence and bullshit peer reviewed journals (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replication_crisis).

The problem is, in light of this knowledge, we are still deciding to go the alarmist, insane, hysterical route. Nobody is being reasonable. I see no evidence of "bad science being wheedled out." In fact, the science they're floating out there now is even worse than the science they were talking about before. I also find this idea that this stupid COVID is comparable in any way to spanish flu and smallpox to be part of that hysteria. It's just not, period.

Five days ago this country saw 39k new cases, more than in any week since this began.

Dr. Fauci, all the leading experts, point out that this is due to inaction. The science has not changed, this needs to be stressed. Fauci (who is basically the hero immunologist who helped spearhead the HIV/AIDS epidemics as well as contributed to Ebola containment research) predicted all of this and is still stressing it to this day.

You say these scientists were wrong. However, in every country that took their advice to heart and performed extensive contact tracing, testing, early self isolation, and mandatory mask wearing, they're already largely past this. Just as in past pandemics. Again, this isn't the first time this world has been through such a thing. This is why the EU was arguing over banning travel incoming from the US. It may still happen. I wouldn't blame them if they did.

You say no one is being reasonable. Only that's not true. Everyone around the globe who are listening to the science are. It's clearly not happening enough here in the US, which is why we're still seeing cases rise.

Look I don't want to argue about the inarguable. I just hope you're OK, your family is OK, everyone is OK, and please wear a mask.

Last edited:

pel1300

Yeah. Or hospitals start making decisions to ration care, which I'm sure the anti-maskers/covid deniers will be the first to scream bloody murder over.

Also, re: all this talk about the authorities getting it wrong. Reminder that Anthony Fauci predicted 100,000 to 200,000 deaths in March and "millions of cases".
The U.S. currently sits 129,000 deaths and about 3 million cases. If Dr. Fauci is wrong, it won't be because he overestimated the virus.
Thanks to the BLM protests or riots, whatever you wanna call them. Fauci himself said they were a recipe for covid spreading. And yet the corporations and democrats encouraged it by saying the virus spreads less easily outdoors and that the weather was now warmer and thereforesafer for covid....two talking points that were being used by anti-lockdown people. Then they relied on different health experts who said "Blame racism" for a future covid spread. What a joke.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Thanks to the BLM protests or riots, whatever you wanna call them. Fauci himself said they were a recipe for covid spreading. And yet the corporations and democrats encouraged it by saying the virus spreads less easily outdoors and that the weather was now warmer and thereforesafer for covid....two talking points that were being used by anti-lockdown people. Then they relied on different health experts who said "Blame racism" for a future covid spread. What a joke.

Yes anyone who said mass outdoor protests wouldn't contribute tot he spread were wrong too. Of course. Even if it's 90 degree F and sunny, if someone with the active virus in their lungs yells next to you, there's a good chance you're going to get it.

Ornlu

Banned
the best stats we got are from south korea with 0.7% death rate, iirc, a few pages back the flu was said to be 0.09%. Not only that but earlier data suggested around 5% hospitalization rate, which is worse than flu.

What was the death rate for "the flu" (There's more than 1) pre-vaccines? That would be the apples-to-apples comparison, if that's what people are going for.

Petey-o

Funny how that works when there is no vaccine and apparently no known cure for the virus and yet deaths continue to drop and cases continue to rise. Wonder how many prescriptions of HCQ and Zinc are being handed out? Of course you won't hear the media talking about it.
Didn't they stop prescribing HCQ again?

pLow7

the best stats we got are from south korea with 0.7% death rate, iirc, a few pages back the flu was said to be 0.09%. Not only that but earlier data suggested around 5% hospitalization rate, which is worse than flu.

Don't bother.
I've since asked a dozen times for scientific proof that this is "just a flu" and i've never gotten an answer, like never. I posted several extensive proof that the Coronavirus is both deadlier (0,5 Ifr compared to 0.1), far more contagious (1,5 R0 to 2,5) and also gives no shit that it's summer outside.

Did i get any answer to that? Nope, Did it stop these people still claiming "just a flu"? Still nope. Some people want to stay dumb, i can't change that.

Last edited:

pLow7

What was the death rate for "the flu" (There's more than 1) pre-vaccines? That would be the apples-to-apples comparison, if that's what people are going for.

That's what IFR and CFR do. It counts " proportion of deaths from a certain disease compared to the total number of people diagnosed with the disease for a certain period of time". So you only count the infected people. A Vaccine has no impact on the IFR/CFR since a vaccine will "just" result in less people getting infected

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom