• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

Don't bother.
I've since asked a dozen times for scientific proof that this is "just a flu" and i've never gotten an answer, like never. I posted several extensive proof that the Coronavirus is both deadlier (0,5 Ifr compared to 0.1), far more contagious (1,5 R0 to 2,5) and also gives no shit that it's summer outside.

Did i get any answer to that? Nope, Did it stop these people still claiming "just a flu"? Still nope. Some people want to stay dumb, i can't change that.
I gave up in February, yes I am in this thread from the beginnen, they didn’t except it when China was in bad shape, neither Italy, they just can’t except and comprehend that it’s all real ..

deal with it, follow the rules , live life as good as possible and hope there will be a vaccine soon.

we here in the Netherlands got numbers back if we did nothing that where Spanish Flu numbers but in 3 months time . Spanish flu ravaged much longer.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web
I had largely given up on this thread a while ago, but there have been some really great posts in here recently.

Its still crazy to see some people rail against masks as we start hitting new peaks. Hopefully their numbers will continue dwindling as this has clearly become a battle not fought along political lines, but now divided by intelligence.

cryptoadam

Banned
the best stats we got are from south korea with 0.7% death rate, iirc, a few pages back the flu was said to be 0.09%. Not only that but earlier data suggested around 5% hospitalization rate, which is worse than flu.

Ya its deadlier than the flu but its also not the black plague.

And the death rate goes down with age and once your under 40 its at .005 or even less. Where I live under 40 deaths are less than 10 and we are the NY of canada.

Take out people in old age homes and people older than life expectancy and the death rate is less than 1% and now with better theraputics its even lower for old and sick people.

cryptoadam

Banned
I even started wearing masks where I don't need to, because I realized how much saliva people expel just by speaking and breathing. It's disgusting.

Also LOL at still pretending that it's just a flu after having been shown so many, many times that it is not. Some never want to learn. The issue of Covid-19 is not that it's highly deadly on its own, it's that it's highly infectious and has much higher numbers of hospitalization than the flu. Which means that it easily overloads the health system by the sheer number of patients requiring hospital treatment, which THEN increases its death rate to levels ten times higher than the flu. Because with the flu, 20 % of the infected do not need rebreathers. And that's why you need to keep the numbers of infections on a low level that the health system can cope with for now. And that's why you lock down and wear masks. Because if you don't, guess what, you start to die of things entirely not corona related simply because the hospitals are full with covid-19 patients and a simply fractured bone can't be treated anymore.

20% of infected dont need vents or rebreathers. Not even 20% of symptomatic infected go on vents.

prag16

Banned
Society is going to collapse because you're asked to wear a mask while in Safeway? Think about what you're saying before you start accusing other people of being hysterical.

Yeah because that's totally what I said. Maybe read the rest of the post.

Because with the flu, 20 % of the infected do not need rebreathers.

This claim was ridiculous even when initially made in February/March. But now it's even more abundantly clear that only low single digit percentage of people need to be hospitalized at all, let alone go on a ventilator.

iconmaster

Banned
Five days ago this country saw 39k new cases, more than in any week since this began.

I'm starting to lean toward looking at hospitalizations rather than new cases. The reason is: cases will increase as testing increases, but that doesn't necessarily represent an increase in "harm." Hospitalizations, however, probably do.

Here's the CDC's chart on those. It's cumulative, so the lines will never drop back down -- only flatten.

lab-confirmed-hospitalizations.gif

I can't assess whether the progress shown here is enough, but I do seem to see some flattening starting from the end of May. The elderly still have it rough.

cryptoadam

Banned
Anyone have deaths by race for USA?

I think the SG at one point said it was 20% blacks and 30% for hispanics?

Interesting if you look at cdc for hopsilizations whites is 40 per 100k asiand 50 and then it jumps latinos 150 blacks 200 and natice 240.

I suspect that hospitalization and deaths are highly concentrated in the minority communties.

Which is why they should all go out and protest lol.

pLow7

Ya its deadlier than the flu but its also not the black plague.

And the death rate goes down with age and once your under 40 its at .005 or even less. Where I live under 40 deaths are less than 10 and we are the NY of canada.

Take out people in old age homes and people older than life expectancy and the death rate is less than 1% and now with better theraputics its even lower for old and sick people.

You know that that's also the case for the Flu?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Don't bother.
I've since asked a dozen times for scientific proof that this is "just a flu" and i've never gotten an answer, like never. I posted several extensive proof that the Coronavirus is both deadlier (0,5 Ifr compared to 0.1), far more contagious (1,5 R0 to 2,5) and also gives no shit that it's summer outside.

Did i get any answer to that? Nope, Did it stop these people still claiming "just a flu"? Still nope. Some people want to stay dumb, i can't change that.

how’s that:

HOW DEADLY IS THE VIRUS?
The Cambridge-PHE team looked at the deaths across England to work out an estimated infection-fatality rate - the percentage of people who will die if they caught the virus.

They suggested COVID-19 kills 1.1 per cent of people it infects, which would make it eleven times deadlier than seasonal flu. But they admitted it could be as low as 0.79 or as high as 1.4 per cent.

AGE GROUP DEATH RATE
OVERALL 1.1%
0-4 0.00046%
5-14 0.0012%
15-24 0.004%
25-44 0.027%
45-64 0.41%
65-74 2.7%
75+ 17%

SO, HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO OTHER ESTIMATES?
  • 0.1% FLU
  • 0.19% ANTIBODY SAMPLE FROM HELSINKI, FINLAND
  • 0.37% ANTIBODY SAMPLE FROM GANGELT, GERMANY
  • 0.4% ANTIBODY SAMPLE FROM STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN
  • 0.75% EXPERT ESTIMATE FROM REVIEW OF 13 STUDIES
  • 0.79% ANTIBODY SAMPLE FROM NEW YORK CITY

Assuming you’re younger than 65 which I think is a fair assumption, the death rate is substantially lower than the average flu rate.

Ornlu

Banned
That's what IFR and CFR do. It counts " proportion of deaths from a certain disease compared to the total number of people diagnosed with the disease for a certain period of time". So you only count the infected people. A Vaccine has no impact on the IFR/CFR since a vaccine will "just" result in less people getting infected

That's not what I've always been told regarding the flu vaccines. It's always been gospel that getting the vaccine also helps mitigate symptoms. If there's data that contradicts that, or if medical professionals commonly espouse the opposing view, please post it. The idea that the rate of hospitalization/rate of mortality with COVID-19 would be less with a vaccine isn't a wild idea at all.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Because the young rule the world ? And are willing to rule ? Let all the Poeple from 40 and up die? Wtf.

Last edited:

pLow7

how’s that:

Assuming you’re younger than 65 which I think is a fair assumption, the death rate is substantially lower than the average flu rate.

Eh no it's not. Flus 0,1 Death Rate is like the Covid Death Rate for all ages. Similar to Covid, Flus Death Rate considerably higher while you are old.

So again:

0-99 Flu Death Rate 0,1
0-99 Covid Death Rate 0,5

edit: Misread your post. I don't get where you want to get with this argument? You are comparing Apple to Orange. Of course the Death Rate of young people gettng covid is lower than the AVERAGE flu rate, but why the hell would you compare that? YOu have to compare the same data to get an idea, not two different.

It's like saying "Children in NY have considerably less income than the average person in LA". yeah, no shit.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
Eh no it's not. Flus 0,1 Death Rate is like the Covid Death Rate for all ages. Similar to Covid, Flus Death Rate considerably higher while you are old.

So again:

0-99 Flu Death Rate 0,1
0-99 Covid Death Rate 0,5

edit: Misread your post. I don't get where you want to get with this argument? You are comparing Apple to Orange. Of course the Death Rate of young people gettng covid is lower than the AVERAGE flu rate, but why the hell would you compare that? YOu have to compare the same data to get an idea, not two different.

It's like saying "Children in NY have considerably less income than the average person in LA". yeah, no shit.

I guess if you would have flu death rates per age band at hand it would be pretty easy to conclude this. Surely there is more data available for something that has been going around for most human history than something that has been killing for four months.

Maybe, but I don't think the flu has 5% hospitalization. Also even some, perhaps many, of those who recover might have long term damage. Neurological, cardiovascular, pulmonary, kidney, liver, etc damage.

Some people say they get exhausted even doing a small walk after they've recovered.
Five weeks later, on April 21, she returned to her job developing colors for a cosmetics company, but with shortness of breath and aching muscles, she found herself unable to take even short walks.

Amputations, organ failure, blood clotting: The range of complications in COVID-19 cases

Last edited:

All Hail C-Webb

how’s that:

So it's 0.1% (and that's rounded up for the flu), and they estimated 1.1% for COVID-19.
While the Flu can kill children under 5 at a higher rate than COVID, it otherwise requires a person over 65 with severely compromised health to have drastic effects.

This can also infect far more people than the flu can, and we're currently seeing many hospitals start to fill.

I was wrong about one thing. I expected that we could get through Summer pretty nicely, and that's just not going to happen. When we get into flu season with COVID outbreaks all over the country we're going to be in a serious world of hurt.

M A S K S

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Table 1: Estimated influenza disease burden, by age group — United States, 2017-2018 influenza season
Symptomatic IllnessesMedical VisitsHospitalizationsDeaths
Age groupEstimate95% Cr UIEstimate95% Cr UIEstimate95% Cr UIEstimate95% Cr UI
0-4 yrs3,678,342(2,563,438 -7,272,693)2,464,489(1,695,054 – 4,904,296)25,644(17,871 – 50,702)115(0 – 367)
5-17 yrs7,512,601(5,899,989 – 10,199,144)3,906,553(3,002,375 – 5,356,724)20,599(16,177 – 27,965)528(205 – 1,392)
18-49 yrs14,428,065(12,258,820 – 19,396,710)5,338,384(4,262,260 -7,333,716)80,985(68,809 – 108,874)2,803(1,610 – 6,936)
50-64 yrs13,237,932(9,400,614 -23,062,957)5,692,311(3,895,925 – 10,028,080)140,385(99,691 – 244,576)6,751(4,244 – 15,863)
65+ yrs5,945,690(3,907,025 – 11,786,777)3,329,586(2,139,716- 6,623,717)540,517(355,184 -1,071,525)50,903(35,989 – 83,230)
All ages44,802,629(39,322,959 – 57,928,172)20,731,323(17,978,392 – 27,248,302)808,129(620,768 -1,357,043)61,099(46,404 – 94,987)

AbcUYdY.png

So seems about the same for kids, maybe double for adults, and then once you get to become a senior its a killer. The CV numbers are for half a year while the Flu numbers are for an entire year.

65+ for Flu 1 year was 50K, for CV half a year is almost 80K. But you have to take into account the disaster policy of the killer 5 that ravaged nursing homes.

But still for old people this is way worse than the flu especially if your governor sends you to an old age home. For adults its probably about 2 to 2.5 times deadly but that looks like its coming down as more therapeutics enter the market. And for kids CV looks way less deadly. 640 or so deaths in one year, while in 6 months there was less than 150. Double that and it would still only be 300 which is half of what the flu did.

Does anyone have any hospitlization numbers? In 2018 CDC claims 800K hospitlizations total. What are we at with CV?

prag16

Banned
I'm starting to lean toward looking at hospitalizations rather than new cases. The reason is: cases will increase as testing increases, but that doesn't necessarily represent an increase in "harm." Hospitalizations, however, probably do.

Here's the CDC's chart on those. It's cumulative, so the lines will never drop back down -- only flatten.

lab-confirmed-hospitalizations.gif

I can't assess whether the progress shown here is enough, but I do seem to see some flattening starting from the end of May. The elderly still have it rough.
There are also scattered reports of two other reasons why case numbers are high. Subsequent tests of the same person are counted as separate positive tests. Some people are being tested weekly or biweekly for work now which wasn't happening in large numbers early on. Also, some states are throwing antibody test results in with the regular tests, and counting the positive results as new cases. Add that to increased gross testing numbers and you have a rise. Even as case numbers are going up, percentages of positive tests are going down (as are deaths, and hospitalizations for the most part with a few exceptions).

VstJctx.jpg

What is the argument for this kind of price gouging when the tax payers funded the R&D?

Lol fuck off. And it doesn't even save lives; just potentially shortens hospitalizations by a few days. HCQ has arguably better results and costs almost nothing (it doesn't need to be rehashed that the "heart damage" study was overdosing patients by a factor of 10, and the other large scale study turned out to be a fraud). But Orange Man Bad.

Last edited:
Maybe, but I don't think the flu has 5% hospitalization. Also even some, perhaps many, of those who recover might have long term damage. Neurological, cardiovascular, pulmonary, kidney, liver, etc damage.

Some people say they get exhausted even doing a small walk after they've recovered.

I can attest to this.

I got it 2 months back and still do not feel 100%.

Been trying to exercise but I feel like my body is pushing too much despite feeling mostly fine overall. I still get dizziness now and again.

I heard it could do damage to the lungs as well once you've had it.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I have a few routine tests and procedures coming up this week. Everyone at the facilities will be wearing masks and doing the precautions. Think it’s safe or should I push it back?

I need to get these done. Though it’s not life or death so it can wait. The problem is I doubt it’ll be any better in a month or so.

I have a few routine tests and procedures coming up this week. Everyone at the facilities will be wearing masks and doing the precautions. Think it’s safe or should I push it back?

I need to get these done. Though it’s not life or death so it can wait. The problem is I doubt it’ll be any better in a month or so.

Yes, you should go get your gonorrhea taken care of

All Hail C-Webb

You shouldn't put off medical care unless you're really high risk for Corona, and you're in a place with uncontrolled growth. Even then, most Doctors are being really careful. Limited people in waiting rooms, everyone with masks.
In New York, now is the time to go and do any of this stuff. As we reopen, cases will start rising, and risks will be greater.

All Hail C-Webb

Lol fuck off. And it doesn't even save lives; just potentially shortens hospitalizations by a few days. HCQ has arguably better results and costs almost nothing (it doesn't need to be rehashed that the "heart damage" study was overdosing patients by a factor of 10, and the other large scale study turned out to be a fraud). But Orange Man Bad.

Have you heard Trump or CryptoTDS bring up HCQ at all in the last few weeks?
They're proud to show off their stupidity multiple times per day, but even they know better than to go on about this drug.
They just ignore it, and hope we'll all forget.
So thank you for reminding us 16, and thank you for all you do to make this thread a more lighthearted place. Seeing that you posted always brings a smile to my face.

prag16

Banned
The entire worldwide medical community isn’t withholding HCQ because they dislike Donald Trump.

You're right, they aren't all withholding it. In many places it's still being used especially in Europe. And in fact after things were on pause for a while after that later-proven-fraudulent study came out, large scale trials are resuming, it was just announced. It will be evaluated as a preventative as well as a treatment. Stay angry, TDS-brigade.

cryptoadam

Banned
Have you heard Trump or CryptoTDS bring up HCQ at all in the last few weeks?
They're proud to show off their stupidity multiple times per day, but even they know better than to go on about this drug.
They just ignore it, and hope we'll all forget.
So thank you for reminding us 16, and thank you for all you do to make this thread a more lighthearted place. Seeing that you posted always brings a smile to my face.

Made these 2 threads within the last week

Seems most of the talk about HCQ right now is about the medical communities fraud they committed around it. Either it was defrauding the Lancet that played along with the fraud, or apperant studies designed to overdose the most sick patients and kill them.

Maybe it is better everyone forgets about the drug, not because its something with very few side effects and most doctors and countries say it works, and its even being used to fight child cancer. But because the scientific community may have gone insane and put politics over actual science and either may have or actually did kill people.

cryptoadam

Banned
Can we please stop making everything about Donald Trump? The entire worldwide medical community isn’t withholding HCQ because they dislike Donald Trump. The universe doesn’t revolve around him, even if your life and personal identity might.

What do you think about the fraud either perpetuated against the Lancet, or in coordination with them?

Or the accusations that the WHO and Brazilian doctors overdosed the sickest patients leading to their deaths?

I agree though the universe doesn't revolve around Trump and when talking about any medicine Trump does not need to be mentioned. I don't see any reason why any article about HCQ always has to have the words "Trump promoted" in them, probably 2 or 3 times to boot.

Ixion

I just wanted to chime in and say this thread is such a great way to stay informed on COVID (at least as a summary). We have roughly an equal number of people on both political sides poking at each other's statements (and people in between), whereas basically every other forum I know of would be one side or the other.

Good stuff. And kudos to Evilore.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
If you want to blame anyone for masks blame Fauci. Trump listened to Fauci, and on Feb 29th this is what Fauci said

If your in a outbreak masks don't provide the protection people think it does.

Trump listened to this and did not promote mask wearing, even had his SG tweet to people to not buy masks.

At some point they switched gears, but any late mask wearing is straight from that interview.

Chaplain

"Doc to Doc: NBC's Dr. John Torres talks with Dr. Michael Osterholm, Director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota. As we mark six months since learning about the novel coronavirus, the doctors will recap how we got here, what we've learned and what the next six months could look like." (7/1/20)

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
What do you think about the fraud either perpetuated against the Lancet, or in coordination with them?

Or the accusations that the WHO and Brazilian doctors overdosed the sickest patients leading to their deaths?

I agree though the universe doesn't revolve around Trump and when talking about any medicine Trump does not need to be mentioned. I don't see any reason why any article about HCQ always has to have the words "Trump promoted" in them, probably 2 or 3 times to boot.

The proposed treatments for COVID19 using HCQ or chloroquine have always suggested higher doses than what is typically used in treating autoimmune diseases, and there were always concerns regarding their potential for QT prolongation and cardiac toxicity, particularly in combination with azithromycin. The FDA approved (EUA)dosage of HCQ was 2-4x higher than what is typically used in treating autoimmune conditions, as this is what was studied in the initial case series that showed some promise. Chloroquine dosage is also not equivalent to HCQ, so it is misleading to make direct comparisons in dosages. The FDA EUA dosage of Chloroquine was 500 to 1000 mg, not far off from the Brazilian dosage. Of note, the FDA has now withdrawn its EUA for both drugs as they are likely ineffective.

It's important to remember that the use of these drugs is experimental, and that we do not know what dose (if any) has therapeutic effect. Accusing researchers of "overdosing" patients because their study found harm reveals a lack of understanding of how these trials are conducted.

The Lancet (and NEJM study on ARBS/ACEI drugs) were likely based on fraudulent data from Surgisphere. The Lancet (and NEJM, in their unrelated but similarly sourced study) were both retracted. These were observational studies, inferior to experimental randomized controlled trials. Although the data is weak, we do have randomized controlled trial evidence on HCQ and CQ that uniformly show no benefit to the drug either as treatment or prophylaxis.. We also have numerous meta analyses that are consistent with our RCT data. More studies are underway, but anyone expecting HCQ to be a magic bullet for COVID19 is going to be sorely disappointed.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Just got my test results and it came back positive. :/

Yay for more quarantine!

You should quarantine in Melbourne.

A whistleblower who worked at one of the city's hotels said guards were given only "five minutes" training and were not given sufficient protective equipment.

Claims that guards had sex with infected guests

TaySan

Banned
Congrats on the Corona! No symptoms?
Im mostly recovered now, but the past week i had really bad fever, coughing, shortness of breath, diarrhea. The last couple of days i lost my smell and taste, but its starting to come back again. :)

Unfortunately, i think i passed it along to everyone else in the house and they are sick too. :( Staying isolated as much as possible until this all passes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Im mostly recovered now, but the past week i had really bad fever, coughing, shortness of breath, diarrhea. The last couple of days i lost my smell and taste, but its starting to come back again. :)

Unfortunately, i think i passed it along to everyone else in the house and they are sick too. :( Staying isolated as much as possible until this all passes.

I've heard a lot about it coming back once or twice before finally recovering. Hope you and the others in the house manage to get over it soon!

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Unfortunately, they go hand in hand. We don't yet know how increased testing affects the numbers, but we do know that more cases invariably will coincide with more hospitalizations. This was the case in countries with far more extensive testings as well, such as South Korea.

I just wish some lab could pull off a miracle and develop a vaccine in record time. I am so ready to be past this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom