• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of people on this forum are denying what the actual experts have to say about it... for example a couple of Canadians here imply that they are not seeing nor predict much of an issue while Canadian health aouthorities have declared it to be a high risk situation. As for those questions, I don´t know if they were using masks regularly or not, or how healthy they were (they all were living a normal life though)... as for their ages, the man living side of my house was touching 70 I think, the grocery owner was on his 60´s, but the friend and neighbor of my sister and our cousin were on their early or mid 40´s. And If you want to call it anecdotes that is fine, but one thing is for sure, they all had horrible deaths, suffered severe respiratory problems for at least a week, and returned home in the form of ashes within a little box.

A lot of the experts have contradicted themselves multiple times now, and there's some dispute among the "expert community" about this stuff. Why were they all cremated? Is that like Canadian law? And yes, anecdotes don't beat statistics... the mortality rate is at flu levels and that's ignoring that the flu actually is more likely to kill children and infants whereas anyone under 80 has a greater than 92% chance of surviving COVID-19.

T8SC

Jesus. Sorry to hear that.

During August they were trying to get everyone into shops to boost the economy, giving us 50% off food bills upto £10 for 3 days every week so people flooded to restaurants & pubs etc, told everyone to go back to work, kids back to school... and now its like slamming the brakes on and hitting us with Lockdown 2: The Return.

What did they expect to happen? Testing has gone up, so therefore cases will go up. People have flocked to shops & restaurants etc because of the Government scheme.

Ridiculous, there's more deaths for people tripping over their cat than dying of Covid at the moment.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Do you have a source for the specificity figure?

Sensitivity and specificity will vary depending on PCR test used, swabbing technique, site of sampling, and timing of sampling.

The sensitivity, specificity was 79% (27/34) and 100% for initial RT-PCR

The sensitivity of the RT-PCR diagnostic test was estimated to be 0.777 (95% CI: 0.715, 0.849), while the specificity was 0.988 (95% CI: 0.933, 1.000).

Several studies with small sample sizes have been published, and have estimated that the first test done
has a sensitivity of 70% to 90% for detecting SARS-CoV-2.

As of May 23, 2020, PHO Laboratory has detected false positive SARS-CoV-2 results on approximately 20
occasions among over 228,000 specimens tested to date for COVID-19, with ~11,000 specimens testing
positive. This represents a false positivity rate of less than 0.01% (specificity of >99.99%), which is well
beyond performance targets for a laboratory test, even acknowledging there may be some false positive
tests that are not detected.

The validation study for the Mammoth Biosciences molecular lateral flow assay for SARS-CoV-2 was 90%
sensitive and 100% specific for SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus in respiratory swab samples

Using a reference standard of a positive result at any site, NP swab had a sensitivity of 90%
(95% CI 74.4-96.5), throat swab 87% (95%CI 70.3-94.7) and nasal swab 80% (95% CI 62.7-90.5).

Sensitivity refers to the ability of a test to correctly identify positive test results (true positives/ (true positives + false negatives). The higher the sensitivity, the less likely you have a false negative.

Specificity refers to the ability of a test to correctly identify a true negative result (true negative/ (true negatives + false positive). The higher the specificity, the less false positives you'll get.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
UK, or more specifically, England.

Gatherings of 6 or more, indoor or outside, banned. I'm going to get some bog roll & pasta as soon as the shops open.

Get one of these, then should there be a sequel to the great bogroll crisis you're covered. It's what I did, no regrets.

Cutty Flam

Banned
Is there any way to know accurately what the death count is in the USA?

edit: Or a close estimate is more likely, I doubt there's any way to get close to the number but maybe some way a close estimate can be made?

Last edited:

mcz117chief

By becoming omniscient. You can ask God.

edit: Or a close estimate is more likely, I doubt there's any way to get close to the number but maybe some way a close estimate can be made?

Not really since hospitals would have to be honest, which often times they are not.

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
By becoming omniscient. You can ask God.

Not really since hospitals would have to be honest, which often times they are not.
The numbers are probably out of control distorted if hospitals really get like upwards of 13k for someone needing a ventilator I'm thinking. Especially if hospitals are losing money because of this entire ordeal, I'm thinking. Their mindset is probably, "fuck it, they want to ruin the money side of this entity, let's get what we can back by saying we have more Covid-19 patients, and those needing the ventilators"

At least, that's how I would imagine how it's been going all this time. Really is terrible that there is no true way to determine the mortality rate accurately. Guess we wont know for years and years to come?

Breakage

So the UK government is bringing in new restrictions for England from Monday because of a rise in cases, but it is still telling people to return to their desks because workplaces are “Covid secure”.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
UK, or more specifically, England.

Gatherings of 6 or more, indoor or outside, banned. I'm going to get some bog roll & pasta as soon as the shops open.

How do you ban a gathering of 6 or more indoor? Can't people just hide? Man.

lock2k

Banned
Astrazeneca vaccine on hold after adverse effects found in their phase 3 study.

Meanwhile Russia is doing their phase 3 on general population...
maxresdefault.jpg

Siri

Banned
A lot of the experts have contradicted themselves multiple times now, and there's some dispute among the "expert community" about this stuff. Why were they all cremated? Is that like Canadian law? And yes, anecdotes don't beat statistics... the mortality rate is at flu levels and that's ignoring that the flu actually is more likely to kill children and infants whereas anyone under 80 has a greater than 92% chance of surviving COVID-19.

We know that the mortality rate is less than 1%. We know that the elderly are extremely vulnerable and that anyone over the age of 80 has a good chance of dying if they get Covid19.

What we don’t know is what percentage of people who get Covid19 are going to suffer long term damage to their organs - even young people who suffered mild illness. There’s evidence that upwards of 30% might end up having problems for the rest of their lives. We just don’t know right now. In ten years we will.

This is not regular flu. Regular flu doesn’t kill the elderly like this and it doesn’t damage people’s bodies the way Covid19 does.

We know that the mortality rate is less than 1%. We know that the elderly are extremely vulnerable and that anyone over the age of 80 has a good chance of dying if they get Covid19.

What we don’t know is what percentage of people who get Covid19 are going to suffer long term damage to their organs - even young people who suffered mild illness. There’s evidence that upwards of 30% might end up having problems for the rest of their lives. We just don’t know right now. In ten years we will.

This is not regular flu. Regular flu doesn’t kill the elderly like this and it doesn’t damage people’s bodies the way Covid19 does.

Actually it does and we don't even know how prevalent these issues you cite are. Also, even a person over 80 with more than 1 comorbidity has an 80% chance of surviving COVID-19.

Ornlu

Banned

You'll never get a real answer, as almost any death where someone might have had the virus is counted as a death from the virus. If you want to go with the "6% of people who have died who had no other conditions" number; 180,000 x .06 = 10,800. 10800 / 180 = Somewhere in the neighborhood of 60/day? (picking 180 counting all of March thru August, others may pick a different period)

Again, you'll never get an official answer, as it depends on what metrics are used. At this point I doubt if there is ever a way to retroactively look back at all of those deaths and figure out which deaths were actually due to Covid-19 as opposed to those where someone died of something unrelated after testing positive, or deaths where there was never a positive test, or deaths after a faulty test, etc.

There is very little evidence this virus is causing widespread damage to people with mild disease. A few anecdotes and a couple of very very small studies don’t really do anything to move anyone. We’ve seen a lot of people get this now and very few mild cases are complaining of significant issues later on. They exist, but it appears rare.

What will be interesting is trying to figure out why there is such wide variance for some people vs the vast majority who suffer pretty minor symptoms.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Astrazeneca vaccine on hold after adverse effects found in their phase 3 study.

Meanwhile Russia is doing their phase 3 on general population...

This is the Oxford vaccine which was considered a frontrunner if not the frontrunner. Anyone who is still in this "we just need to keep this up a little while longer, until there is a vaccine" needs to stop. Who the hell is going to take this garbage?

Last edited:
You'll never get a real answer, as almost any death where someone might have had the virus is counted as a death from the virus. If you want to go with the "6% of people who have died who had no other conditions" number; 180,000 x .06 = 10,800. 10800 / 180 = Somewhere in the neighborhood of 60/day? (picking 180 counting all of March thru August, others may pick a different period)

You simply can't do this math based on the 6% number. For example, whatever % of COVID deaths had Pneumonia they directly caught from having COVID-19 as their only other condition, are people who still died from COVID-19. Pneumonia deaths are astronomically higher than in any other year in recent history in the US. Part of that is undoubtedly excess Ventilator use, but there were plenty of reports of Pneumonia being the "real" cause of death from COVID early on.

I've said it before, but the 6% number isn't helping anyone any more than believing 100% of the reported deaths are from COVID.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
You simply can't do this math based on the 6% number. For example, whatever % of COVID deaths had Pneumonia they directly caught from having COVID-19 as their only other condition, are people who still died from COVID-19. Pneumonia deaths are astronomically higher than in any other year in recent history in the US. Part of that is undoubtedly excess Ventilator use, but there were plenty of reports of Pneumonia being the "real" cause of death from COVID early on.

I've said it before, but the 6% number isn't helping anyone any more than believing 100% of the reported deaths are from COVID.

Like I said; you're never getting a real answer. The number is going to swing wildly depending on what metrics are used.

sinnergy

This is the Oxford vaccine which was considered a frontrunner if not the frontrunner. Anyone who is still in this "we just need to keep this up a little while longer, until there is a vaccine" needs to stop. Who the hell is going to take this garbage?
No one , but it’s all psychological, ease people into a new way of living .. most need a long time to adjust and accept . Just look at this thread .

It’s because people would go insane and societies would collapse . So give them hope on a vaccine. Yet we could be looking at years of this.

I made peace that this , 1.5 meter world is here to stay for at least the next 5 years.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
No one , but it’s all psychological, ease people into a new way of living .. most Ned a long time to adjust and accept .

It’s because people would go insane and societies would collapse .

I made peace that this , 1.5 meter world is here to stay.

Well, except people have gone insane and societies have collapsed.

The idea that this is "here to stay" over this virus is ridiculous. If it is "here to stay", it is for some reason, but that reason is not COVID-19.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Well, except people have gone insane and societies have collapsed.

The idea that this is "here to stay" over this virus is ridiculous. If it is "here to stay", it is for some reason, but that reason is not COVID-19.
Nothing has collapsed . The rest lives on and that you need to keep 1,5 meter and watch out for crowds , work from home and some days in the office . Eat out on times it’s less crowded. Shop on les crowded times , life is good! Just a bit different.

bigsnack

It is my understanding that a vaccine for a coronavirus (any virus in that family) has never been created successfully before. If this one is successful it might actually mean the end of the four strains of the common cold.

I really hope that this virus provides the drive for that to happen, but I’m not holding my breath waiting. I refuse to accept that we need to permanently alter society to accommodate this virus. There has to be a minimum acceptance at some point, right? Will that just take time for people to get bored enough to finally throw their hands up?

Last edited:

Joe T.

The health official then outlined how the state is also tracking down people for violating their home quarantine and forcibly removing them to the secret facility.

“Because we have had people isolated at home. And then, we saw the person was not at home. So, we went to their home, and then told them, we are isolating you where we want you to be,” said Girard.

I saw someone on social media call these last 6 months a free trial period of the new world order. How's everyone liking it so far? Push back against this insanity now, while you still can. These measures aren't protecting our health, they're harming it. There's a lot more to a healthy life than just whether or not we catch a coronavirus and this laser focus on the virus is doing much more harm than good.

Separate studies by Sweden’s Karolinska Institutet (KI), an independent medical research institute, and the European Network of Ombudspersons for Children and Unicef, showed that Swedish children fared better than children in other countries during the pandemic, both in terms of education and mental health.

That's without getting into a multitude of other areas of life including mental health among the general population - relationships are suffering, drug/alcohol use is up, etc - and the financial/economic factor. Most of us still live in democracies where the government has to be afraid of the people and not vice versa. The media's sensationalized reporting, poisoned by money/politics, clearly sold the masses a false perception of this pandemic and we demanded our governments to act according to that false perception. We've learned too much to still be talking about these draconian measures.

HarryKS

So much of this is just nonsense. In a world with 7 billion people, a couple million is a rounding error. Not to minimize death, because it is tragic. But the idea that countries are destroying the economic future of a generation of people over this is literal insanity.
Economic future, in this ponzi scheme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom