• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

So is hope, love , rational , common sense.....people would listen more if there was some percevied balance. Why no daily messaging of eat well, get some vitamin D, get some exercise and also making sure that the right foods are made avialable to the public at prices everyone can afford?
Aren’t those things you know or learned ? Or Do you need to be feed and trained by a government official like a baby? Come on you better know these basics as adults .. and food prices if you shop smart you can find affordable and healthy food , we do the same.

But the problem is more like people don’t want to take responsibility for living healthy so if the get it they are prepared or to follow rules to stop the spread .

Anyway our Dutch hospital load has become to much the past 2 weeks .

New measures will be announced , 22 pm closure of dining. Only 4 extra people visite at home , only 30 in eating out in and outside . Employees are urged to work home , otherwise bosses are fined. No soccer supporters because the keep shouting in pro and amateur clubs .

Thank you all anti corona spreaders !!

Have a nice fall 🤡

Last edited:
I guess the question is always,
Aren’t those things you know or learned ? Or Do you need to be feed and trained by a government official like a baby? Come on you better know these basics as adults .. and food prices if you shop smart you can find affordable and healthy food , we do the same.

But the problem is more like people don’t want to take responsibility for living healthy so if the get it they are prepared or to follow rules to stop the spread .

New measures will be announced , 22 pm closure of dining. Only 4 extra people visite at home , only 30 in eating out in and outside . Employees are urged to work home , otherwise bosses are fined. No soccer supporters because the keep shouting in pro and amateur clubs .

Have a nice fall 🤡
You have this delusion that this can be controlled or prevented. It cannot. You will all be Sweden soon. Might as well quit whining about it.

Amory

So I've posted in this thread before, my fiance and I were supposed to get married back in May but obviously that got canceled by the venue

So we re-planned everything for 10/4, sent out new invites to everyone, rebooked all the vendors, etc etc. Then a couple months back the venue canceled again and said they just couldn't be sure that they were going to be able to host in October either so they didn't want to make promises they couldn't keep. Actually it was pretty nice of them to take the decision out of our hands and to refund our money.

So then we cut our guest count to 40 people out of the original 160, dealt with the family drama of all the cuts we had to make, rebooked everything again except this time we planned a beach wedding and then a small reception at a private rental residence. It was a shit ton of work, we lost a few vendors and had to re-book other ones, and obviously without a formal wedding venue we had to book the meals, booze, seating, and everything else ourselves. But we got it done and were in a pretty good place heading into next weekend.

And then this weekend we both haven't been feeling well at all. And the symptoms are very similar to COVID. Lol you can't make it up. If we avoided it all this time only to get it now, idk what to even say.

We're going to get a rapid test at noon and see if we're gonna have to cancel everything. Again. For the last time.

Pray for me GAF. The shit fit my lady is going to throw today if we get a positive test i'm sure will be unlike any i've experienced before...

diffusionx

Gold Member

Have a nice fall 🤡

So your theory is that Netherlands, and other countries, were these bastions of incredible compliance, with low numbers, did everything right... then suddenly stopped? And then cases rose? That there was some day where a switch flipped in every Europeans' head simultaneously that said "fuck it, Im not doing this anymore"? That people stopped listening to the government propaganda and started listening to flubros and this is why COVID is back in Europe?

That makes NO sense, sorry. Behavior does not change much and people do not act this way, especially with the nonstop assault of government propaganda. The reality, and what makes far more sense, is that the "rules to stop the spread" don't actually stop the spread.

Last edited:

Have a nice fall 🤡
Love is not learned it is an inbuilt emotion in us as is fear. What i'm saying is you may get peoples attention with fear based propoganda (and yes it is propoganda that is being fed to us) but the message will diminish over time if there is no balance to it....it would be the same if your goverment were all lovey dovey all the time( which has never happened). Oh and by the way things like washing your hands or covering your nose whilst sneezing were known by just about everybody pre covid 19 but we seem to be getting that message rammed down our throats daily.

Maybe people would take repsonsability for their health if good food was as the same price or lower than the avalanche of cheap sugary shit that supermarkets always have cheap or on offer...again i don't see the same balance in discounts or cheapness of wholesome nutritious foods.

So your theory is that Netherlands, and other countries, were these bastions of incredible compliance, with low numbers, did everything right... then suddenly stopped? And then cases rose? That there was some day where a switch flipped in every Europeans' head simultaneously that said "fuck it, Im not doing this anymore"? That people stopped listening to the government propaganda and started listening to flubros and this is why COVID is back in Europe?

That makes NO sense, sorry. Behavior does not change much and people do not act this way, especially with the nonstop assault of government propaganda. The reality, and what makes far more sense, is that the "rules to stop the spread" don't actually stop the spread.
There was a very small window back in February to perhaps get control over this. But by the time we were even aware of this broadly, it was too late.

iconmaster

Banned
I think we might drop below 1000 deaths per week very soon. I changed the title on this graph to match the column from which I've been pulling data, but the source of data should be unchanged. These are actually COVID deaths according to the CDC and do not include other deaths from flu and pneumonia. I think that was also true of all my previous graphs, since I've been pulling from the same column throughout.

As always, you can check my work by visiting the CDC yourself.

Most recent week is excluded for volatility.

aTt5HBI.png

prag16

Banned
There was a very small window back in February to perhaps get control over this. But by the time we were even aware of this broadly, it was too late.
What do you mean by "get control over this" and what would that have looked like? Totally closing the borders completely during whichever window that was? I don't think that would have mattered. The virus was already here. Unless you mean some kind of "weld everyone into their homes" style lockdown during that window. I don't think that would have worked either.

The way to "get control of this" if anything was for the government to cover it up and just lump it in with flu and tout it as an especially bad flu season. If that had been the approach life would probably be pretty normal right now, with few people panicking about this.

Or maybe they could have just not cranked up fearmongering canons (government/media) 24/7. That would have saved lives for sure if you're in the "lockdown worse than the virus" camp, which I personally am.

Obviously I'm not for the government hiding shit, generally, and in the 21st century with alternative media and social media and instant information this would likely have been impossible. But I don't know what else you could mean by "get it under control" early.

bigsnack

So is hope, love , rational , common sense.....people would listen more if there was some percevied balance. Why no daily messaging of eat well, get some vitamin D, get some exercise and also making sure that the right foods are made avialable to the public at prices everyone can afford?

This needs to be quoted and repeated! There is no daily encouragement to get yourself out of a risk group at all.

sinnergy

China is partying like 1999, they crushed the virus to a point you can control it and see it’s movement spread. We westerns never did, reopened and are now looking at all the shit unfolding !

Those Asian countries know what sars and Mers do, good thing we learned a lot the past 6 months 🤡

See you in winter 🤡

Last edited:
What do you mean by "get control over this" and what would that have looked like? Totally closing the borders completely during whichever window that was? I don't think that would have mattered. The virus was already here. Unless you mean some kind of "weld everyone into their homes" style lockdown during that window. I don't think that would have worked either.

The way to "get control of this" if anything was for the government to cover it up and just lump it in with flu and tout it as an especially bad flu season. If that had been the approach life would probably be pretty normal right now, with few people panicking about this.

Or maybe they could have just not cranked up fearmongering canons (government/media) 24/7. That would have saved lives for sure if you're in the "lockdown worse than the virus" camp, which I personally am.

Obviously I'm not for the government hiding shit, generally, and in the 21st century with alternative media and social media and instant information this would likely have been impossible. But I don't know what else you could mean by "get it under control" early.
South Korea would be my example of control I guess. They were very aggressive and while I am not sure I agree with everything they did, it appears to have been successful in keeping the virus at low levels. But the window for that was really before we were even paying attention. Like early February before the virus was widespread.

China is partying like 1999, they crushed the virus to a point you can control it and see it’s movement spread. We westerns never did, reopened and are now looking at all the shit unfolding !

Those Asian countries know what sars and Mers do, good thing we learned a lot the past 6 months 🤡

See you in winter 🤡
MERS? Do you say stupid things are purpose? This is NOTHING like MERS, thankfully.

cryptoadam

Banned
Well we went from Europe and the Netherlands did a great job why can't dumb American's and Swedes listen and act like them, to Europeans are stupid and not listening why can't they act like the dutch, to well the dutch are stupid and not listening why can't they act like the Chinese.

WoJ

Well we went from Europe and the Netherlands did a great job why can't dumb American's and Swedes listen and act like them, to Europeans are stupid and not listening why can't they act like the dutch, to well the dutch are stupid and not listening why can't they act like the Chinese.

It's crap like this (which is all true) that lead me to believe stupidity is more at play here than absolutely power grabs. Not saying there aren't power grabs going on. But man is there a lot of dumb.

lock2k

Banned
So I've posted in this thread before, my fiance and I were supposed to get married back in May but obviously that got canceled by the venue

So we re-planned everything for 10/4, sent out new invites to everyone, rebooked all the vendors, etc etc. Then a couple months back the venue canceled again and said they just couldn't be sure that they were going to be able to host in October either so they didn't want to make promises they couldn't keep. Actually it was pretty nice of them to take the decision out of our hands and to refund our money.

So then we cut our guest count to 40 people out of the original 160, dealt with the family drama of all the cuts we had to make, rebooked everything again except this time we planned a beach wedding and then a small reception at a private rental residence. It was a shit ton of work, we lost a few vendors and had to re-book other ones, and obviously without a formal wedding venue we had to book the meals, booze, seating, and everything else ourselves. But we got it done and were in a pretty good place heading into next weekend.

And then this weekend we both haven't been feeling well at all. And the symptoms are very similar to COVID. Lol you can't make it up. If we avoided it all this time only to get it now, idk what to even say.

We're going to get a rapid test at noon and see if we're gonna have to cancel everything. Again. For the last time.

Pray for me GAF. The shit fit my lady is going to throw today if we get a positive test i'm sure will be unlike any i've experienced before...

Why not postpone it for a later date and have a full wedding?

Joe T.

Amory

Why not postpone it for a later date and have a full wedding?
We talked about it and if we were younger we'd probably just do that. But we're both in our 30s and we're ready to be married and start a family sometime soon. Plus we don't have it in us to plan everything all over again.

It's not the end of the world either way. Hopefully the results are negative.

Personally I don't much care about having a wedding but for her sake I hope we can still go forward with the current plan. If not maybe we'll do a party sometime down the road.

Joe T.

Just as expected, Montreal and Quebec back in lock down starting Wednesday night for 28 days. Restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc closed. Retailers and schools staying open. Not allowed to invite anyone to your home unless absolutely necessary, like a plumber, and even then it can only be one person at a time. Distancing being enforced outdoors. Protesters forced to wear masks.

cryptoadam

Banned
Just as expected, Montreal and Quebec back in lock down starting Wednesday night for 28 days. Restaurants, bars, movie theaters, etc closed. Retailers and schools staying open. Not allowed to invite anyone to your home unless absolutely necessary, like a plumber, and even then it can only be one person at a time. Distancing being enforced outdoors. Protesters forced to wear masks.

What a shocker. Wonder if they will kill 1000s of old people this time

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
"A test that can accurately diagnose coronavirus in minutes will dramatically expand testing in low and middle-income countries, the World Health Organization (WHO) has said."

1qjz3c.jpg

Well thankfully its verifiable. (Unlike all the garbage you believe in)

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The UK isn't re-locking down everything. They are changing the closing time for bars and restaurants and limiting the number of people allowed to gather together.
Yea so about that...

When will you people get it? This isn’t going to stop. They say today that stores can stay open, then next week they say the stores have to close. They say for 2 weeks, even it becomes 4 then 6 weeks. All for a virus that doesn’t actually hurt the people working at these places, or going to these places. The government is going to keep running this scam until we are all completely broken mentally, like MK Ultra.

Last edited:

Stouffers

Banned

They say it can be spread via sex. Seeing as how you’re not married yet, you couldn’t have got it from each other.

prag16

Banned
What's verifiable? That the tests are going to be accurate? I don't think he's disputing that the WHO is doing this. The dispute is the accuracy claim, when every other test so far has had a questionable track record. This one won't be any different, especially for a super rapid 15 minute test.

lock2k

Banned

tumblr_mwj5d62T2A1s3h2s8o1_250.gif

Joe T.

Verified like all the PCR tests we're currently conducting? Like the story says it will "diagnose coronavirus," it doesn't specify which one.

The general public today gets taken for a ride with this type of obscure language all the time because the press/media doesn't have any interest in reporting the truth, they report the narrative. The narrative requires that the pandemic remains scary for at least a few more months.

The US is rolling out 150M rapid tests across the country over the next few weeks (source: Axios), you don't see me championing that either. We're trapped in an endless loop unless our standard for testing matches previous pandemics. Why is this one being handled in such an unprecedented manner?

If we went back to the start of this thread and sifted through all the unverified stories that fueled this pandemic your head would spin.

cryptoadam

Banned
Its BullShit. Why not just make everyone over 70 go into lockdown. We had like 20 people under 50 die from it. Let people under 70 keep working and having their business. Why lock everything down for 28 days again?

The government did this last time and it lead to thousands of dead seniors. Now their doing the same mistake.

You have this delusion that this can be controlled or prevented. It cannot. You will all be Sweden soon. Might as well quit whining about it.

Sweden's cases are on the rise for a few days now. In two weeks they might be at the level Western Europe is at now, being on a different timeline due to their early high cases but getting a second wave just like the rest.

sinnergy

And the most beautiful thing is we own it to ourselves that there are new measures, there are enough people on this earth that think it’s all bogus and that rules don’t apply. And not follow the rules.

But they take down their own economy by letting it spread 🤡

And that’s the way the cookie 🍪 crumbles.

sinnergy

Sweden's cases are on the rise for a few days now. In two weeks they might be at the level Western Europe is at now, being on a different timeline due to their early high cases but getting a second wave just like the rest.
Yup but anti corona people will just jump to the next country that did it better to support their believes. Sweden basically was in their first wave because Europe isolated them after their stupid decisions, no country let people travel there. We have basically 5 million elderly if you follow the Swedish model we should lock them up and let them die , but we can we are to densely populated, unlike Sweden.

And second our hospitals would be overrun so no regular hospitalizations, so lots of deaths not related to corona in groups that could be saved.

Last edited:

sinnergy

Yup but anti corona people will just jump to the next country that did it better to support their believes. Sweden basically was in their first wave because Europe isolated them after their stupid decisions, no country let people travel there. We have basically 5 million elderly if you follow the Swedish model we should lock them up and let them die , but we can we are to densely populated, unlike Sweden.

And second our hospitals would be overrun so no regular hospitalizations, so lots of deaths not related to corona in groups that could be saved.
But basic models now show we are to late , now we have 660 hospitalizations and half October 2500 , for our small country it’s the end game .. and it all went Uber fast yet again , 2 - 3 weeks ago it wasn’t like this .

Last edited:

FireFly

Yea so about that...

When will you people get it? This isn’t going to stop. They say today that stores can stay open, then next week they say the stores have to close. They say for 2 weeks, even it becomes 4 then 6 weeks. All for a virus that doesn’t actually hurt the people working at these places, or going to these places. The government is going to keep running this scam until we are all completely broken mentally, like MK Ultra.
It appears that is being considered as a last resort.

"Social lockdown was among options presented to the cabinet’s Covid-19 strategy committee before last week’s new restrictions were imposed, The Times reports, but fearing a backlash a group of six ministers, led by Boris Johnson, held it back. "

So far, the only announced measures are a restriction on mixing between households indoors, in specific areas of the north where the virus is spreading most rapidly. There is a press conference tomorrow to explain the new rules, but we have been told not to expect any new announcements then. The fact that so far they are merely tweaking the rules around the edges suggests a strong reluctance to commit to a full lockdown.

Boris Johnson is also facing a substantial Conservative rebellion over the Coronavirus Act, which is due to be renewed tomorrow. So it is possible he will have to grant concessions to allow parliament more say in the approval of restrictions.

Birdo

Banned
I still think there is a massive cover up of how bad it was/is in London.

Even during the first wave, the BBC were trying hard to make it look like it was being spread from the North, which was clearly bullshit. London is the most densely populated place in the UK and has the most number of people who travel internationally.

It's probably why my local hospital staff were banned from asking patients where they have been sent from.

Here's an interesting read from a Scottish doctor regarding false positives:

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/09/28/false-positive-tests/

Basically, a 1% false positivity rate could lead to more false positives than actual positives, making covid case numbers even more of a mess than most anyone already thought.

This is great, actually...

"What these figures show is that it is totally inappropriate to use RT-PCR as a screening test for a virus in an asymptomatic population when the prevalence of the infection is very low.

Even if there were a test with 99% specificity, you would still expect to get 3500 false positives from performing 350,000 tests – which is still greater than the number of “cases” reported. When the number of “cases” is lower than your rate of false positives, then a positive result on its own is virtually meaningless."

Joe T.

This is great, actually...

"What these figures show is that it is totally inappropriate to use RT-PCR as a screening test for a virus in an asymptomatic population when the prevalence of the infection is very low.

Even if there were a test with 99% specificity, you would still expect to get 3500 false positives from performing 350,000 tests – which is still greater than the number of “cases” reported. When the number of “cases” is lower than your rate of false positives, then a positive result on its own is virtually meaningless."

Think I brought this up in the flu bro thread, but Toronto's top doctor yesterday plainly stated false positives are a large percentage of reported cases:

Critics of the PCR testing being used claim that 90% of positive results are false positives, a number our health officials dispute. Yet, even Dr. Barbara Yaffe, the province’s associate medical officer, has said testing large populations without COVID can result in high rates of false positives, as much as 50%. Is Ontario experiencing false positives?

“We’ve been looking at that,” Dr. David Williams, Ontario’s chief medical officer of health, told me Monday afternoon.

Williams said that as the percentage of positive tests drops, the likelihood of false positives grows.

“We know that when you’re around 1%, about 36%, especially in areas of low prevalence, can be false positives,” Williams said. “Out of these 700, there’s still a big, significant number that are not false positives. That’s concerning to me.”

Williams said the false positives are higher now than they were in the spring.

The profile of cases continues to be dramatically different than the spring, as well. On April 24, people under the age of 40 accounted for 24.9% of all cases up until that point. Now they account for 60% of new cases.

The obvious problem with this testing method is that we're perpetually locked in pandemic mode regardless of how well anyone follows the rules because instead of focusing on hospitalizations we moved the goal posts to focus on positive cases. Everyone needs to digest this story because it's not exclusive to Canada, this garbage is happening everywhere:

Raven117

You're a sociopath if you won't trade freedom for security even when all evidence points to it being a false sense of security.
Good luck bro. If yall test positive, it will be alright, just be the cool and supportive dude you are, and don't stand directly in front. Hope it works out for yall, it sucks.

FireFly

Here's an interesting read from a Scottish doctor regarding false positives:

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/09/28/false-positive-tests/

Basically, a 1% false positivity rate could lead to more false positives than actual positives, making covid case numbers even more of a mess than most anyone already thought.
However, the false positivity rate can't explain the growth in cases, unless testing is increasing by the same proportion. So if cases are doubling every X number of days and testing capacity isn't doubling over the same time period, you know there is a problem.

However, the false positivity rate can't explain the growth in cases, unless testing is increasing by the same proportion. So if cases are doubling every X number of days and testing capacity isn't doubling over the same time period, you know there is a problem.

A lot of growing cases is based on backlogs of tests that haven't gone through, this has been linked already in the thread.

sinnergy

Good luck bro. If yall test positive, it will be alright, just be the cool and supportive dude you are, and don't stand directly in front. Hope it works out for yall, it sucks.
The wife from My girlfriends boss who was a denialer got it , not super serious, she is recovered but is tired as fuck 🤣 she can’t function normally yet. Her boss now has changed his mind . Not ending up in hospital can still fuck you up.

Yeah if you are tired for weeks or months and can’t run in nature ...

Better thought of that when you disregarded the rules ...

Now they are stricter ..

#justflubro

🤡

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

Those aren't survival rates. I am not sure where he pulled those numbers from. You can look at the study yourself, it's from September 10th and deals with projections regarding theoretical transmission rates. We still don't have a solid idea of the epidemiology of this thing, as noted within that study, so even these can be wrong (which again, I am not seeing any of these numbers - hell we know over 200k died in the US alone from it so it's obviously highly transmissible). And then he talks about extrapolating data in an inference.

He's an economics editor for Sky News, not a doctor or scientist. Is Sky News some kind of tabloid? This just seems like more wrong-minded right winger dreck. Like grandma's feed from Facebook stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom