• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dthomp

If our government really wanted to stop it they'd quarantine/dispose of people and stop all flights for at least 3 months. This can still be stopped yes.

That would be too easy, think about all the wealthy who couldn't travel and spread this thing so easily, and god imagine the airline stocks dropping, my god the STOCKS!

Oh good, this fucking virus is officially in my city:messenger_medmask:

No worries friend, it's just a version of the flu, and more people die of the flu every year then have ever died from anything else ever in the history of death, or so I'm told.

GymWolf

That would be too easy, think about all the wealthy who couldn't travel and spread this thing so easily, and god imagine the airline stocks dropping, my god the STOCKS!

No worries friend, it's just a version of the flu, and more people die of the flu every year then have ever died from anything else ever in the history of death, or so I'm told.
Yeah i know, i'm not an allarmist, but things are gonna be bad if people get panicked, and south italy is full of ignorant people unfortunately.

Last edited:
Whether you think this is legit or not, no reason to not stock up on supplies for a month. If this blows over and nothing happens, you can still drink the water, eat the canned goods another time

Yeah the only downside is spending a bit of money, but you'll get the return out of it, unless somehow you fail to eat it over the next 5 years or something.

Reactions: GHG

NeoGiffer

source.gif

"but he was seen coughing and blowing his nose during Ash Wednesday Mass. "
Probably not coronavirus then I'd guess. Doesn't normally cause upper respiratory symptoms.

This virus won't care what he had cookin' before. He should get tested 1 billion followers are going to worry now.

Doczu

PoorPoland

YOU ARE NEXT

Still unconfirmed. No news outlet in Poland confirms it, and if you find one it's bullshit clickbait territory.
She was tested 3 times and came out twice as negative. The hospital staff is not certain, her blood samoles are sent to Warsaw. Ministry of Health denies her case is confirmed.
I'm not saying she isn't, or that there are no cases in Poland (currently 47 people in hospitals suspected to have it, 55 on quarantine) but as of now no official case.

Still unconfirmed. No news outlet in Poland confirms it, and if you find one it's bullshit clickbait territory.
She was tested 3 times and came out twice as negative. The hospital staff is not certain, her blood samoles are sent to Warsaw. Ministry of Health denies her case is confirmed.
I'm not saying she isn't, or that there are no cases in Poland (currently 47 people in hospitals suspected to have it, 55 on quarantine) but as of now no official case.

That's good to hear.

I have to imagine with how it's spreading in Italy, all of Europe will get a case at some point. Keeping it minimized will be key.

Doczu

That's good to hear.

I have to imagine with how it's spreading in Italy, all of Europe will get a case at some point. Keeping it minimized will be key.
Our company is doing mandatory quarantine for staff coming out off all those hot spots. 2 weeks work from home - no exception. We have 4k staff in our offices and this would spread like crazy due to bullshit policies like "hold your handrail when you take the stairs".
It's free real estate vor contamination

Ma-Yuan

Coronavirus to blitz Germany?

Looks like it. I guess I will work from home soon.

My father in law who is a taxi driver in Bangkok is currently sick with fever. My wife just told me when I came home from work. He wants to get tested soon >< but he isn't working so that's good. I pray he is fine. But our family holiday to visit my parents in law is basically canceled. 😔

autoduelist

Yeah the only downside is spending a bit of money, but you'll get the return out of it, unless somehow you fail to eat it over the next 5 years or something.

Buy cheap store brand canned goods, dried stuff. Box em in your closet/storage. Write the date a year from now on the side of the box.

If this blows over, on said date [which will still be before expiration date] drive your supplies over and donate to a food kitchen/food drive or just your local free group on facebook or whatever.

Breakage

Coronavirus: England only has 15 beds for worst respiratory cases
MPs reveal bed availability as NHS says system will struggle with more than 28 ECMO cases

'They have no idea': government failing on coronavirus, say GPs
Doctors say NHS 111 giving wrong advice and not enough patients being tested for virus

This is why I don't believe the “we are well prepared” stuff coming from the government. This is the NHS we are talking about. England is fucked if there is a mass outbreak.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Yeah i know, i'm not an allarmist, but things are gonna be bad if people get panicked, and south italy is full of ignorant people unfortunately.

I'm not freaking out yet, but I am very concerned for when this starts spreading in the US. Too many people here have this dumb notion that if you ignore it it isn't going to get here. With only 3 states that can even test here, any sane person should know that it's already here and likely spreading. I have started to stock up on things in the meantime though because seeing the pictures of stores within the first 48 hours of it spreading is not what I want to run into waiting for it to be "officially here"

Whether you think this is legit or not, no reason to not stock up on supplies for a month. If this blows over and nothing happens, you can still drink the water, eat the canned goods another time

This is what I've started doing, and yeah it's not cheap but it'll get used eventually and if worse case hits I'll be prepared for a bit. It's all the other things you need to stock up on that add up more then the food/cans. Toilet Paper for 2? That ain't cheap, and you sure as shit don't want to run out of that. I have stocked up 4 months supply of insulin (T1 Diabetic), even at 25 bucks a vial for the lesser stuff from Walmart is still a couple hundred bucks for a few months. Now reading that tweet above me about Glucose strips means likely another 50-75 bucks spent stocking up before they're gone.

I need to hit up a Sams club for Rice and probably beans, and do a little more stocking of canned veggies cause with my health I have to take every precaution not to be out in busy areas or needing to run out for stuff. I don't have the luxury of just assuming I'll be fine. Already have slight kidney damage from long term diabetes, I don't need some unknown virus that ravages your immune system and fucks with you insides.

I honestly appreciate all the work that many have done here sharing the info they have, it's not super easy in the US to keep informed on this without being online all the time since all the news talks about here is fucking elections, you know who cares about this virus that could ruin a large chunk of peoples lives.

I honestly appreciate all the work that many have done here sharing the info they have, it's not super easy in the US to keep informed on this without being online all the time since all the news talks about here is fucking elections, you know who cares about this virus that could ruin a large chunk of peoples lives.

Ideally that is the best purpose of this thread. It shouldn't be seen as "FEARMONGERING!" or anything else.

I try to source all my posts as best I can, but it's not always 100% possible, as this is a fluid/changing situation daily (lately hourly, or minute-ly).

I'd rather know RIGHT AWAY if shit is hitting the fan so I can be prepared. I think others are the same, so Smiles and Cries Smiles and Cries and I try to post updates as timely as possible.

NorwayBot

Banned
3 confirmed "positive" cases here in Norway this evening.

2 in relations to Italy, 1 to the outbreak in Iran.

Total 4 confirmed.

50+ more subjects in "self-quarantine" pending test results.

Last edited:

Tevious

This fucking thing is just stalking me. I live in Seoul and just got back from vacation to Italy for the last couple weeks. The number of cases skyrocketed in both countries during my trip (although, in other parts of the countries). Took every precaution I could on the flight. Wore 2 masks, disinfected the seat (and back of the one in front of me) with sanitizer, and even declined all meals. My work has me in self quarantine for the next couple of weeks now, so more time off I guess. Crazy to think I've possibly been within sight of someone infected.

I think airports don't take this shit seriously enough. It's business as usual at both airports unless you're a Chinese citizen or traveled to Hubei province in the last month. Both airports only checked for high temperature with the heat cameras. At least in Korea, staff wear masks and gloves. Hardly anyone is wearing them in Italy.

Last edited:

eot

Banned
Booked my flights, gonna hide away from civilization for the next few weeks. Either it gets bad enough that my work shuts down, or it's clear by then that it'll be fine. That's my hope anyway lol

Paltheos

Despite the high infection rate, I kinda think this whole thing is overblown. I'm not seeing any sign this is meaningfully worse than the flu.

I'm more concerned that a planned vacation in April will get spoiled by all this. Everything's nigh perfect for it. Please don't ruin it, public panic~

cryptoadam

Banned
Despite the high infection rate, I kinda think this whole thing is overblown. I'm not seeing any sign this is meaningfully worse than the flu.

I'm more concerned that a planned vacation in April will get spoiled by all this. Everything's nigh perfect for it. Please don't ruin it, public panic~

Well look at the CFR. This has a 2-3% death rate (and probably higher since the deaths lag from the cases) while the flu has a death rate of something like .01%.

Also countries don't shut down or go into quarntine because of the flu.

I think its probably 80% odds if you get it you will recover, but the 20% will need hospitilization and could very well die.
I get where you coming from because in the grand scheme of things the amount of people infected is very small. Even china 80K on 1.3 billion is a tiny %. I think the bigger issue though is how quick it can spread, what that does to hospitals and the economy. Just look how governments are reacting and then compare it to your everyday flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom