• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFly

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
To be clear, 41,000 is the figure given for the possible number of deaths due to the lockdown itself. The other collateral damage is due to the effects on the health system of the spread of the virus. The full paper is here:

That isn't making it clear at all. The 41,000 number is from category D2 only. The primary interest in this study wouldn't be number of deaths so much as they're measuring lost quality life years. The summary estimates a total of 2.9 million quality life years lost, with only 174,000 of those being directly due to Covid deaths. Those are staggering numbers.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Not sure if this posted but covid is turning victims into shit eaters

Prof Barry Smith, UK lead for the Global Consortium for Chemosensory Research, says another striking discovery is what he calls "the 'fair is foul and foul is fair' aspect of parosmia".

"For some people, nappies and bathroom smells have become pleasant - and even enjoyable," he says. "It is as if human waste now smells like food and food now smells like human waste."

FireFly

That isn't making it clear at all. The 41,000 number is from category D2 only. The primary interest in this study wouldn't be number of deaths so much as they're measuring lost quality life years. The summary estimates a total of 2.9 million quality life years lost, with only 174,000 of those being directly due to Covid deaths. Those are staggering numbers.
Well, ok, I should have said the number of additional deaths due to economic effects of the pandemic (D2), including those caused by lockdown. Deaths in the long term due to health changes in the population (D1) were not qualified. (In the short term there was an estimated reduction in excess deaths)

As far as the QALY comparisons for D1/D2 goes, the numbers are indeed huge, but the paper doesn't attempt to provide a comparison with the counterfactual where there is minimal government intervention (see page 59).

CrapSandwich

former Navy SEAL
Well, ok, I should have said the number of additional deaths due to economic effects of the pandemic (D2), including those caused by lockdown. Deaths in the long term due to health changes in the population (D1) were not qualified. (In the short term there was an estimated reduction in excess deaths)

As far as the QALY comparisons for D1/D2 goes, the numbers are indeed huge, but the paper doesn't attempt to provide a comparison with the counterfactual where there is minimal government intervention (see page 59).
A counterfactual isn't relevant at this point as these results are themselves only an early estimate and the actual results aren't going to become clear at all until decades down the line. This study might be an overly grim prognostication, but it may also be wildly underestimating the effects of lockdown. The point I'd draw from this study is that there was a lack of preparedness (which seems obvious), but also and mainly that the results of the response to the virus may very well be much worse than the virus itself, potentially by orders of magnitude, and that these ripple effects need to be taken into consideration not as a secondary or tertiary priority, but among the main priorities. I'd go a step further and suggest that overall quality of life needs to be considered as well, though that's not what was being studied.

Chaplain

Video: Bill Gates Warns The "Next Pandemic" Is Coming After Covid-19 - And How To Stop It | MSNBC (1/28/21)

Bill Gates famously warned about the risk of a pandemic in 2015, and in 2021 he offers ideas on vaccines and preparing for the next pandemic. Gates stresses that spending in advance is actually quite a “bargain” compared to the cost of reacting to a pandemic once it ravages the world and cripples the economy. Gates also discusses tech regulations, attacks on him and Dr. Fauci, systemic racism, tax policy and his reaction to being cited in so many rap songs, in this debut of The Summit Series, a collection of in-depth interviews with leaders at the summit of their fields by MSNBC’s Ari Melber.

Edited

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Saw this yesterday, it’s had to believe but after all this mask wearing, social distancing and washing hands has practically eradicated the Flu 😷 if only we did it years ago. The nut jobs can’t post flu numbers now and refer to them as a Covid been similar.

What about common colds? Will those pesky viruses disappear as well.

ManaByte

Flat Earthers breeding with Anti-Vaxxers produces Pakleds.

Pakled2.jpg

pel1300

The low flu numbers are more likely to people washing their hands frequently and hand sanitizing more than anything IMO.

I remember before covid people would say washing your hands frequently was key to avoid getting sick.

The mask discussion got out of hand a long time ago. People were taking both extremes in claiming they don't work at all or acting like they were the number one factor in reducing spread. Some were comparing Japan's death toll to America and acting as if mask wearing was the main reason for the difference as opposed to 1) Testing and how deaths are reported 2) Obesity rates 3) Japan being far more hygenic in general.

On another note I checked Thailand's numbers out of curiosity because I want to return there and.....

People got ridiculed so much for saying that we were over testing - but to be frank so many poorer countries like Thailand went the "Low testing to look good" strategy. In Indonesia they actively discouraged their people from getting tested and scared them off from it by overpricing the tests and threatening forced/mandatory isolation in government designated facilities.

Look at Thailand's numbers and it seems clear to me throughout the pandemic they haven't been testing anywhere near that of 1st world nations.

Thailand
Total cases
Recovered
Deaths

Last edited:

Jezbollah

So I just got back from taking my mum to get her first vaccine jab. It was an interesting experience. Context: she lives in a town with circa 40k in population. It has at least three vaccination centres. This one was the nearest to her - the town football club, converted to perform the jab - like it does in the very same way with the flu jab she had several months ago. So we got there - the process is very much like the flu jab, you line up outside, get called in, your name gets taken on the register, you wait in line and get called to a booth. You then have what looks like a medical record updated with your details, and medication you are on and the jab you are having. You then get asked if youre happy to have the jab, it gets done and you're handed both a leaflet with guidance for after, and a card stating exactly what jab you had, and when, for use with your booster jab in 12 weeks.

This was the interesting bit - the jab (ether Pfizer or Astrazenica) depends completely on what they have in stock on the day. Today was Pfizer. Because it was Pfizer, it meant that my mum had to sit down and wait 15 minutes after to ensure that she didnt have any immediate reactions. She was told that if she felt fine after 10 minutes, she could leave - and she did. The interesting thing we were told is that they actually had more reactions (very mild, it must be noted) from people having the Astrazenica jab vs the Pfizer.

So this does give a little bit of context as to the inconsistent vaccine figures. the MHRA have to certify batches of the Astrazenica vaccines before allowing distribution. It also doesnt mandate a wait. I suspect this means on the days where the jabs are lower, more Pfizer vaccines (and hence more people waiting after) are done. The days where we see 500k jabs done I suspect are days where Astrazenica batches have been cleared and circulated, and outnumber the Pfizer jab - and thus meaning more people can be vaccinated because less people have to wait the 15 minutes after.

Last edited:

nush

and thus meaning more people can be vaccinated because less people have to wait the 15 minutes after.

Your logic is flawed, I'm sure they don't wait 15 minutes between each individual patient. Just that they cant leave after getting the jab.

Jezbollah

Your logic is flawed, I'm sure they don't wait 15 minutes between each individual patient. Just that they cant leave after getting the jab.

So there was finite waiting room, and chairs, socially distanced, for the purpose of waiting the 10-15 minutes. There was also an area for those waiting, with chairs socially distanced for those who had come to aid those who were having the jab (I decided to wait in my car). Now if those places were full up, they would need to wait for people to leave, clean the chairs (which they were doing) before allowing the next person to stay there after getting their jab. They don't need to wait after they get the Astrazenica jab. Its literally, turn up, wait if theres a queue, go in, register, wait if theres a queue, go to booth, get records created with details, get the jab, and then go.

The specific wait for the Pfizer jab doesnt exist for the AZ jabs. Note also that this place has multiple booths (I didnt specifically count, but I think there was 8 to 10). There's an obvious bottleneck for Pfizer vs AZ with the need for post injection wait - when that waiting room is full, they cannot admit more people in.

Giving up on this battle, right as we're turning the tide, is a very unwise course of action indeed. "Learning to live with it" doesn't mean throw your hands up in the air and being complacent with a pandemic. You can live your life as normal as you can but actual tangible restrictions and shit won't lift until real change happens with this pandemic. Which it is starting to.

Last edited:
I’m ready for this to be over.
May be sooner than you think friend. Examining the last 4 pandemics, Spanish flu, late 50s flu pandemic, late 60s flu pandemic, and swine flu, all of them last about a year and change, as in, a whole calendar year from being declared a pandemic, and then a few months after. The first one of those, and biggest one, didn't even have a vaccine for that by the way.

Based of trends with covid we're seeing now, I'm inclined to think covid will be largely the same story. So take march, a whole year from the big start, add a few months, I think may/June/ maybe late summer things will look much much much better.

ManaByte

Assembly members Sharon Quirk Silva, D-Buena Park, and Suzette Valladares, R-Santa Clarita, seek to co-sponsor AB 420, which would place all major theme parks in tier 3 (orange), or moderate, of the state’s COVID-19 Industry Guidance for Amusement Parks and Theme Parks. Gov. Newsom previously placed the major theme parks in tier 4 (yellow), or minimal. Theme park officials collectively called that move "unworkable."

Good. I've been dying for a Ronto Wrap for months. Batuu calls.

ManaByte

If you know of any teacher that's part of a teacher's union who's hyperventilating about having to possibly actually WORK, this is why:

Chaplain

Video: What Disney Can Teach Us About Covid-19: Lockdowns Fail (2/4/21)

"Two states and two Disneys—California vs. Florida—and their radically different approaches to dealing with the pandemic."

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Flu is gone even where masks are not used though...

Japan already had a huge mask culture, especially in winter, and the flu is like 99.5% eradicated there compared to the previous year (which was already a low year for flu cases and deaths).

Cutty Flam

Banned

Skip to 14 minutes onward. This might be life-saving information one day for yourself, or a loved one. Doesn't hurt to learn a little about prone positioning. Protecting your lungs and other organs while you rest and try to kick the virus in which you or a loved one are dealing with. This all could help with increasing your chances of overcoming Covid-19, you're doing your lungs a favor by implementing this strategy while trying to recover and get well

Cliffs from the video I listened to on MedCram and the video above, this is my take on what to do if you think you are experiencing a serious upper respiratory illness (not a nurse or doctor, just my observations and my common sense)

-Prone positioning has shown to increase patients chances of survival substantially, I think it improved mortality rate around 44% or something around there
-Lay on your stomach most of the time while resting. Dr. Roger Seheult from MedCram basically said if you're resting most of the day and are bedridden, then 17 hours, 18 hours of prone positioning is the standard while you're battling the worst portion of the illness
-Assume the swimmers position while laying on your stomach, you should switch positions of the arms and the head every two hours. I've heard another video saying every two hours. If I'm awake, personally, I'll be shooting for every thirty or minutes, an hour or two just to get some movement going if I'm not falling asleep during
-Raising the front of your bed about 8 to 10 inches. If you're lucky enough to have a great bed like that use the raising button or in my case I am going to purchase some bed risers, anything to safely elevate the front of your bed will do. This step, the raising of the bed seems especially crucial to me, for aiding in draining of inflammation and allowing the fluids of your body to sort of naturally flow down into lymph nodes with the help of the angle you're resting on. Not sure how many inches would be best considering that a sick individual probably wouldn't have enough energy to switch the raisers on and off, but I' thinking any amount maybe 4 inches to 8-10 inches would be beneficial. Better than having all your fluids lay stagnant all that time I would think

Additional information on prone positioning worth listening to

^^^ (9:18) If you perform prone positioning 17-18 hours per day it can reduce the mortality rate of patients from 33% down to 16% according to a study in 2013 published by the New England Journal of Medicine

Belgorim

Japan already had a huge mask culture, especially in winter, and the flu is like 99.5% eradicated there compared to the previous year (which was already a low year for flu cases and deaths).
Yeah, people have been so bombarded with the messaging to wear masks and shame others that do not that they try to pin every win on wearing masks. I doubt it would feel good to realize you could be in the wrong about the issue after almost campaigning for it.

Probaly a good way to justify behaving like an idiot towards a total stranger also.

Liljagare

I always like me some good news:

"Preliminary testing shows that 29 out of 30 virus patients in serious condition that were administered the drug, dubbed EXO-CD24, once a day made a full recovery within five days; similar treatment announced by Hadassah Medical Center."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom