• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
That worldwide case trend rise isn't making me feel very good guys. :(

I mean I know its mostly Europe and South America inflating it for us all but still... Europeans and South Americans can travel to other countries. Hopefully it's just one last spring wave and we can see another decline like we did from January to now basically.

When are we thinking this pandemic will end? Or at least become enough of a non issue it is indistinguishable from a declared official medical end. I've been saying domestically early-mid summer, worldwide fall 2021. Late 2021. What are we thinking here? Realistic, optimistic, pessimistic just lay your takes on me.

Jezbollah

I think by the end of 2022 it should trickle down into a flu type approach for most developed first world countries. The global vaccine program, consisting of current vaccines, and later this year the updated variant vaccines will mean that the open-up will be gradual.

Unless you can properly vaccinate every single human (which is unrealistic) we are going to have to keep an eye out for COVID for the next decade. Politicians, anti-vaxxers, undocumented population and third world countries will put a strain on vaccinated hurd immunity and its tolerance to the virus.

Last edited:
I think by the end of 2022 it should trickle down into a flu type approach for most developed first world countries. The global vaccine program, consisting of current vaccines, and later this year the updated variant vaccines will mean that the open-up will be gradual.

Unless you can properly vaccinate every single human (which is unrealistic) we are going to have to keep an eye out for COVID for the next decade. Politicians, anti-vaxxers, undocumented population and third world countries will put a strain on vaccinated hurd immunity and its tolerance to the virus.
Well... I guess I did ask for realistic and pessimistic takes so I can't complain but. That's long past all past pandemics of the last century's timelines. But I guess we'll see.

Last edited:

Jezbollah

Explaining it to a dummy, what exactly are the effects of this? I feel like this is really bad?

it stops a company from executing a contract of delivery to make vaccines (in addition to delivering finished vaccines). It means fewer get to those that need it, ergo, it may cost lives.

The UK also makes ingredients for both AstraZenica and Pfizer vaccines that are made in the EU, so if the same restrictions are applied in response, then it stops vaccines from being made in the EU.

Basically, everyone loses, because the EU cannot get over the fact that they have been throughly out performed in the area of vaccine deployment, and out manoevered in the area of obtaining said vaccins.

it stops a company from executing a contract of delivery to make vaccines (in addition to delivering finished vaccines). It means fewer get to those that need it, ergo, it may cost lives.

The UK also makes ingredients for both AstraZenica and Pfizer vaccines that are made in the EU, so if the same restrictions are applied in response, then it stops vaccines from being made in the EU.

Basically, everyone loses, because the EU cannot get over the fact that they have been throughly out performed in the area of vaccine deployment, and out manoevered in the area of obtaining said vaccins.
What in the fuck... if its a lose-lose why would the EU even do this? What possible motive? Why is there not global outrage over them halting the whole show just as things were looking okay?? What does this mean for the UK in particular though because I heard they've been killing it with the vaccines? With every adult getting a jab if they want by end of July?

Jezbollah

What in the fuck... if its a lose-lose why would the EU even do this? What possible motive? Why is there not global outrage over them halting the whole show just as things were looking okay?? What does this mean for the UK in particular though because I heard they've been killing it with the vaccines? With every adult getting a jab if they want by end of July?
The problem with the UK is that there are millions that have already had their first jab using Pfizer. If the EU block exports of Pfizer, they risk the second jab of those people. (That includes my own mother, and several of my family and friends).

The EU is trying to make up for their own flawed procurement process by subverting their authority to stop companies from executing their own contracts. It's purely political, and it has already cost lives.

The EU has essentially weaponised the vaccine as a commodity. And they want to hog all the vaccines, regardless of legality.

Edit:

Even the UK Opposition is telling Brussells to calm the fuck down.

Last edited:
The problem with the UK is that there are millions that have already had their first jab using Pfizer. If the EU block exports of Pfizer, they risk the second jab of those people. (That includes my own mother, and several of my family and friends).

The EU is trying to make up for their own flawed procurement process by subverting their authority to stop companies from executing their own contracts. It's purely political, and it has already cost lives.

The EU has essentially weaponised the vaccine as a commodity. And they want to hog all the vaccines, regardless of legality.

Edit:

Even the UK Opposition is telling Brussells to calm the fuck down.

So is it good then? For now? This seems nefarious. What could be done to stop or override this or whatever.

ScrewAttack

Neo Member
I had my first Astra-Zeneca dose last Tuesday at around 2:15pm. Spent three days feverish and sick, which was fine and expected. But now it's been the weekend as well, and I'm finding I am still extremely fatigued and my breathing has become much weaker, shallow and my energy levels keep dropping.

I don't see anything about feeling this bad for this long in reading about. Gonna contact the GP in the morning as this is really having an impact on my ability to do anything.

ManaByte

161410577_263479162075131_5987973718216138572_n.jpg

That's cool that ya'll are getting your shots and stuff but can someone explain the threat title to me? It's gotta be top 10 cringiest OT titles on neogaf.

ManaByte

That's cool that ya'll are getting your shots and stuff but can someone explain the threat title to me? It's gotta be top 10 cringiest OT titles on neogaf.

Back at the start of the pandemic there were some people who were getting a little too excited over fantasies of a pandemic wiping out most life on Earth and them getting to live out some kind of 28 days later LARP.

ScrewAttack

Neo Member
People who never get annual flu vaxxed, are you in a hurry to get this?
As a 31 year old, healthy male I never fussed over flu shots, but I took the AZ vaccine eventually. Initially I waited to see if there was any major issues. I took it, in the end, because I suffered severe respiratory issues as a child, and I don't care to risk even a slight chance at repeating those terrifying nights of will I/won't I wake up.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I get my 2nd dose this week. I'm prepared for it hitting me harder, but I've already been hit hard by the shingles vaccine 2nd dose.

Doctor told me I can take tylenol if I get a fever, but not ibuprofen, which I can't and don't take anyway. I don't plan to take anything, gonna ride it out.

Last edited:

Aarbron

Have to wait till until the middle of the year for first jab (in Australia).

Hope the delay does not hamper chance of finding work. :messenger_pensive:

Ionian

I haven't had a shot (yet). But people are walking around as normal, traffic is crazy. Loads of people not wearing masks.

Several riot police vans breaking up parties.

I live beside a canal which of course has seagulls. They went away for ages (seagulls, nothing to scavenge) but they're back waking me up now eating the leftovers of the drunks chips and takeaways, worse than pigeons.

Jezbollah

People who never get annual flu vaxxed, are you in a hurry to get this?

I never get the annual flu. I had no problem getting my first jab. Got the OAZ - only side effect I had was being very tired the next day, very slight temperature (both delt with via paracetomol) and a slight swelling around the injection area that took a week to gradually go away.

Dr.D00p

Covid vaccine: US trial of AstraZeneca jab confirms safety​

Results from the long-awaited US trial of the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine are out and confirm that the shot is both safe and highly effective.
More than 32,000 volunteers took part, mostly in America, but also in Chile and Peru.
The vaccine was 79% effective at stopping symptomatic Covid disease and 100% effective at preventing people from falling seriously ill.
And there were no safety issues regarding blood clots.

More results to make the EU look like the cunts they are...

Jezbollah

Its puzzling why they state 67% effecy for Astrazenica - this is the first jab figure. Effecacy after the second jab after a 12 week interval gets it to 90%.

GamingKaiju

The media is out in full force hyping up this third wave in Europe today.

Hmmm Imma gonna hold my breath on this one. We're just coming out a vicious second wave and we've got another week before lockdown starts to ease a little, we're cracking along with the vaccine rollout, doing a ton of testing so I'm thinking this third wave might just break on UK shores.

Jezbollah

The only thing that could really cause a third wave in the UK would be a new variant that the current vaccines have zero effect upon.

The sad thing is the utter shambles that is the EU's current efforts only raise the chances of that being a possibility.

bigsnack

The media is out in full force hyping up this third wave in Europe today.

Hmmm Imma gonna hold my breath on this one. We're just coming out a vicious second wave and we've got another week before lockdown starts to ease a little, we're cracking along with the vaccine rollout, doing a ton of testing so I'm thinking this third wave might just break on UK shores.

It's been mentioned before, but if you review the timeline of the 1918 flu pandemic, there was a final early spring wave before the pandemic officially petered out. I'm assuming that with vaccinations in this pandemic (that didn't exist in for the 1918 one), our final spring flare up will be far less intense, and will peter out faster.

cYVynYO.jpg

It's uncanny how similar the waves look. It's almost like all of these restrictions has literally NO impact on the trajectory of the pandemic at all. At least we have a vaccine this time around!

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

First of all - chill. Second of all - the truth is somewhere in the middle and not as shocking. First, AZ essentially lied to both UK and EU by treating the same plant as part of both UK and EU supply chain. Even with it the company is massively behind in agreed-upon deliveries to the EU - we were promised 100mln doses, it was revised down to 40mln, we will probably get 30mln. This is EU actually holding the fucking company to what they promised, UK is just collateral damage.

Second, UK made essentially a massive gamble by going all in on AZ when the efficacy data was inconclusive, mainly because part of it was produced in the UK.

Jezbollah

First of all - chill. Second of all - the truth is somewhere in the middle and not as shocking. First, AZ essentially lied to both UK and EU by treating the same plant as part of both UK and EU supply chain. Even with it the company is massively behind in agreed-upon deliveries to the EU - we were promised 100mln doses, it was revised down to 40mln, we will probably get 30mln. This is EU actually holding the fucking company to what they promised, UK is just collateral damage.

Second, UK made essentially a massive gamble by going all in on AZ when the efficacy data was inconclusive, mainly because part of it was produced in the UK.

There's a few things to note here.

The UK only had one vaccine manifacturing facility before the Oxford vaccine had it's tie up with Astrazenica. The UK government basically married both Oxford and Astrazenica together, and as part of that arrangement delivered a number of things:

- the two UK Oxford Astrazenica facilities were created and bankrolled by the UK Government for production of the vaccine.
- the UK started providing logistics and helped run most of the phase 2 and phase 3 trials for the vaccine.
- the UK negotiated one of Oxford's demands - to produce the vaccine "at cost" for developing countries with Astrazenica.

all the above was part of the UK/Oxford/Astrazenica deal that was signed in May of last year. It is this deal which had the option of the UK Government getting first option for all vaccines produced in the UK - facilties the UK government themselves helped create.

The UK deal signed in May was very much an "invested partner" type deal. The Astrazenical deal with the EU, that was signed much later, after much haggling, was a secondary "customer" type deal. It was superceeded by that contract held by the UK, and arguably should be given the UK bankrolled a much larger amount of money in trial of and production of the vaccine. The EU's deal, with their own factories (that incidentally, had issues initially that were remedied with lessons learned by the uplift of the UK made facilities) were not tied to the same export restrictions and options that the UK had put in their contract. That can be argued as one of the many failures of the EU procurement process.

It also needs to be noted that India was part of the OAZ manifacturing process. There was no mention of this within the EU contract.

When faced with the absolute disaster that was this procurement process, rather than looking inwards to reflect and to learn any lessons, the EU leaders decided to go on a brand assassination exercise at AstraZenica. This has resulted in bigger issues for them and their own citizens not wanting the vaccine, putting additional strain on Moderna and Pfizer as more desirable alernatives.

as regards to the massive gamble by going all in on AZ, this is more of a calculated decision given the UK Government's involvement in the vaccine's trials. It can actually be debated that of all the governments in the world, the UK has actually diversified to one of the largest portfolios of COVID vaccinations.

Edit: I just saw the following from Micheal Martin. He get's it.

Last edited:

My state has just announced 1,021 lives lost yesterday. It's the worst number by far, last week was another record with 679. I don't know how long we can go down this route. I'm so sad and afraid. If anyone I love gets sick now there won't be a hospital available. They are all over their capacity already.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
It's been the fabled "two weeks" since our governor in MS opened everything up in a move Pres. Biden termed "Neanderthal thinking." The 7 day average of cases has dropped from 396 to 309 since then. Our vaccination rates have been very good, so hopefully we avoid a third wave.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

My state has just announced 1,021 lives lost yesterday. It's the worst number by far, last week was another record with 679. I don't know how long we can go down this route. I'm so sad and afraid. If anyone I love gets sick now there won't be a hospital available. They are all over their capacity already.
Sorry man, hopefully you are near the plateau and downslope.

Last edited:
I had my first Astra-Zeneca dose last Tuesday at around 2:15pm. Spent three days feverish and sick, which was fine and expected. But now it's been the weekend as well, and I'm finding I am still extremely fatigued and my breathing has become much weaker, shallow and my energy levels keep dropping.

I don't see anything about feeling this bad for this long in reading about. Gonna contact the GP in the morning as this is really having an impact on my ability to do anything.

How are you doing now? Is it possible you just caught COVID? I dont think shortness of breath has been a reaction to any vaccine that I've heard of.

Jezbollah

My mum just got a text to book her second jab. She got her first (Pfizer) in early February. So it looks like an 8 week gap (was expecting 12). She is in the 70-75 age group.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom