• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyberpunkd

Ahhh fuck you, you ageist.
Correlation doesn’t equal causation. I’m not against old people because of their age, but because people having no respect for social norms and thinking they deserve things just happen to be old. Guess what, if the whole world cuddles you like you do with old people it makes you think the whole world owes you.

Fortunately in the case I mentioned yesterday the Conseil d’Etat told vaccinated old people to stfu and sit tight with the rest of the population.

Last edited:

Hulk_Smash

Banned
Correlation doesn’t equal causation. I’m not against old people because of their age, but because people having no respect for social norms and thinking they deserve things just happen to be old. Guess what, if the whole world cuddles you like you do with old people it makes you think the whole world owes you.

Fortunately in the case I mentioned yesterday the Conseil d’Etat told vaccinated old people to stfu and sit tight with the rest of the population.
They were told to stfu and sit tight for 15 months. You try doing that. Try not seeing your family and going to do the things you love for 15 months. It’s fucking prison and you know it. These aren’t radical anti maskers. These are people that understand the risks. And they have common sense. They know there can be ways to safely let people in and out. But just like most nursing homes, the workers are too lazy to figure it out.

It boils down to worldview. Mine is built on giving people a choice and letting old people live out their lives they way they want. Quality of end of life verses quantity.

Yours is based on fear, bigotry toward the elderly, and believing the lies of ever-evolving “science”.

The dust is settling on lockdown fear-mongering philosophy and it is coming up wanting. We will look back on history and see what a massive mistake most of it was. And the longer the lockdown fear mongers keep going with it the more they should be held morally culpable for their actions.

Cyberpunkd

It boils down to worldview. Mine is built on giving people a choice and letting old people live out their lives they way they want. Quality of end of life verses quantity.
When I get Covid I get fever for 2 days and that’s it. When grandma gets Covid she ends in ICU and because there are too many old people there my kids cannot go to childcare for 3 weeks. How TF is this fair? You are putting my kids at risk, my job at risk to protect old fart that had a full life and will die within the next 5-10 years anyway?

llien

The Netherlands has temporarily halted the use of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine for people aged under 60 as a “precaution”.
In a statement on Friday afternoon, the country's health ministry said it was acting on a new report from independent advisory body Lareb.
The report concerned five women in the country aged between 25 and 65 who had gone on to suffer blood clots after receiving the shot. "Similar reports have also come from other EU countries," the Dutch authorities added.

The ban comes two weeks after the European Medicines Agency had determined the AstraZeneca vaccine was "safe and effective", but said it could not definitively rule out the increased risk of blood clots as a side effect of the jab.

Belgorim

i do, because i had relatives who were in it.
Dont you have any relatives working in a hospital then?

I mean, my grandmother died last spring of covid, also a friend of my wife this year, but it is not like I was there in the hospital myself so if you only believe what you yourself see or what your own relatives see I doubt you believe in the moon landing or stuff like that either.

Masks in the general population probably does jack shit though :)

Hulk_Smash

Banned
When I get Covid I get fever for 2 days and that’s it. When grandma gets Covid she ends in ICU and because there are too many old people there my kids cannot go to childcare for 3 weeks. How TF is this fair? You are putting my kids at risk, my job at risk to protect old fart that had a full life and will die within the next 5-10 years anyway?
I just can’t compete with the amount of bigotry you got going on here. I’m done.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
is there any proof the coronavirus is dangerous outside the mass media outlets? I havent seen anyone die of it
Here is a suggestion - Go* to any general hospital and ask the staff if you are allowed to see terminally ill covid-19 patients fighting for their lives and losing it because of the collapse of the lungs. There is your proof.

* Rather don't go to the hospital because you will be wasting every medicial personnel's time there when they should be saving the lives of people who don't have the time nor the argument to express doubt on the existence of the virus on a online forum.
wont believe it till I see it. all see is crowds of people with dog masks when i go outside
You know the world is bigger than just the plain view outside, right? You don't go to the hospital, because there is nothing wrong with you, or with your relatives.

Shockingly enough, covid-19 patients who are in trouble go to a hospital, which is a place you don't see when you are outside. All you see are people with dogmasks. You don't see the people on a breathing machine whose lung synapses are dying out of respiratory failure.

Congrats for being such a poor troll at this that im spelling this nonsense out for you. Good job, well worth doing this the day before Easter, Holyax.
i do, because i had relatives who were in it.
So it takes a relative for you before you start believing that the virus is a thing and exists.

That's great to know. Its also hugely arrogant because you only will believe the existence of Covid-19 when it happens to anyone else but yourself.

And i know you just axed for having this dumb ''I don't see it, therefore does it actually exist?'' narrative but you really have to wonder why you even want to have a discussion on its existence when people quite literally die from it or are out of practice for months on end, like my colleague in a hospital did

The thing is, Covid is a Russian Roulette virus. If you contract it, there is no surefire way as to how someone will react on it.
  • There will be people who experience minor symptoms, or little at all. Among those are also people who think that its no big deal because they had it and hey, they came out alright = so its a scam.
  • There will also be people who get hugely tired for months on end and drop weight like its nothing. Even after wards, the revalidation period is lengthy.
  • Then there will also be people developing breathing problems, and some will of these people will be led to the Grim Reaper.
The problem with all of these is that you will not know which of the 3 situations you will be getting into. You don't get to decide - The virus (And your individual body) will do that for you.

Ascend

I have had flu-like symptoms for the past week but am already more than fine. I didn't bother getting tested, because it's not like they could help me. If it was Covid, to me, it wasn't different than any other flu.

That being said, the fact that a colleague of mine in his early 40s ended up in the ICU, and another colleague of mine lost his cousin and both of the his cousin's parents... I cannot conclude that this is simply a flu. The only hospital on the island is overrun with cases and they have no more space.
And that still does not mean that I don't wonder about the origins of this pandemic and the effectiveness of the vaccines.

I'm quite sure by now that face masks don't help with shit though.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
CNN
MSNBC
BBC
Huffington Post
USA Today
Fox News
Al Jazeera
Slate
Reason

Out of all of those news networks, there are about a dozen articles combined this weekend reporting on COVID numbers, vaccines, or lockdowns. And more importantly, only about half of those are unique to that paper. Seriously, go look. There's almost nothing about police in the UK going into churches on Good Friday, the protests happening in Belgium. There isn't even anything about the rise of cases in Brazil. It's almost like COVID is over with.

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Influenza season in Japan ends with under 1/500th the number of physician visits compared to the already low previous year. Unit in the graph below are in 10,000s.

abd0e_1615_6bdcfb4c70e703a030f1c304eb1e9731.jpg

COVID numbers throughout the pandemic have also been relatively low in the country.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Alright time for some update, yesterday was not fun. Mainly because I had to go for infusion called Bamlanivimab (who the fuck decided this name) which is something in experimental state, which should get Covid out of your system fast. I had 39C in the evening (which is 3C above normal body temperature), probably highest in my life I was hallucinating and I know that some people can have 42C with FLU, but I guess I am build differently. My breath was super shallow, I was afraid to fall asleep because I figured that I would suffocate, but since covid makes you extremely weak, I fell asleep rather quickly and outside that I completely sweat the bed, I have 36.5C today and my sense of smell and taste returned. I guess I got something which rich people got, because I have that liver transplant privilege.

So all in all, if you can postpone any throat exam, do so, I was on scheduled check, had to subject myself to putting down the mask, had my throat checked (it's due to hospital wanted papers, because due to intubation 2 years prior, I could not speak, so every year I had to do this, hopefully they change the rules from now on) and I guess that's when it happened. It's not fun and people who are saying that they will simply just push through it, because mask are not really comfortable, are really not familiar with what are they up to. Covid really sucks life out of you and I've been lucky, that I got vaccinated and on the top of that, I got that infusion.

betrayal

Banned
This shit is like Russian roulette. One friend, who is obese and has asthma had just a mild flu. Another friend, in his early thirties, with no comorbidities that I know of, is in the ICU.

This has nothing at all to do with Russian roulette, but with the fact that the real state of health of a person is not always the one that is known.

The main reason why the death rate increases with age is exactly the same reason why hardly any younger people die. Studies and statistics are very clear about this. If you are under 40 and really healthy (neither overweight nor coronary disease), you will not die. This is statistically and factually almost impossible.

Despite all this, I am in favor of reasonable lockdowns. People who are surprised about low numbers and lockdowns do not understand that the numbers are so low because of such restrictions. This is not about me at all, but about the people who actually have a higher risk for severe courses or death.
As far as human rights etc. are concerned, I still see lockdowns critically, but I think they are justified because the virus is still too new for humanity and therefore it is often not really dealt with effectively.

However, the topic reflects well the world view of many people. As in politics, there are always only two sides and nothing in between.

Hulk_Smash

Banned
This has nothing at all to do with Russian roulette, but with the fact that the real state of health of a person is not always the one that is known.

The main reason why the death rate increases with age is exactly the same reason why hardly any younger people die. Studies and statistics are very clear about this. If you are under 40 and really healthy (neither overweight nor coronary disease), you will not die. This is statistically and factually almost impossible.

Despite all this, I am in favor of reasonable lockdowns. People who are surprised about low numbers and lockdowns do not understand that the numbers are so low because of such restrictions. This is not about me at all, but about the people who actually have a higher risk for severe courses or death.
As far as human rights etc. are concerned, I still see lockdowns critically, but I think they are justified because the virus is still too new for humanity and therefore it is often not really dealt with effectively.

However, the topic reflects well the world view of many people. As in politics, there are always only two sides and nothing in between.
“Reasonable lockdowns” is an oxymoron.

betrayal

Banned
“Reasonable lockdowns” is an oxymoron.
If it were about a virus with a 50% death rate, certainly not. But it seems like some people here are only concerned with the wording. At the core, it's about rules and restrictions. Way too many people get way too attached to the word "lockdown".
We have a lockdown here where I live. Still, I can do a lot of things. I can travel, meet people (but limited of course) and do whatever else I want. Not everything, yes, but most things are possible. Far too many people just cry because they have never learned anything else in their lives than to cry when things don't go their way.

FireFly

CNN
MSNBC
BBC
Huffington Post
USA Today
Fox News
Al Jazeera
Slate
Reason

Out of all of those news networks, there are about a dozen articles combined this weekend reporting on COVID numbers, vaccines, or lockdowns. And more importantly, only about half of those are unique to that paper. Seriously, go look. There's almost nothing about police in the UK going into churches on Good Friday, the protests happening in Belgium. There isn't even anything about the rise of cases in Brazil. It's almost like COVID is over with.

Any thoughts on this?
In the UK we don't normally get a lot of coverage about Brazil in general, but I have seen several articles about the escalating case load in the country (along with Bolsonaro firing/losing his military chiefs, risks of impeachment etc.) And with the coverage of the third wave in Europe, I don't see how anyone could reach the conclusion that COVID is "over".

betrayal

Banned
In the UK we don't normally get a lot of coverage about Brazil in general, but I have seen several articles about the escalating case load in the country (along with Bolsonaro firing/losing his military chiefs, risks of impeachment etc.) And with the coverage of the third wave in Europe, I don't see how anyone could reach the conclusion that COVID is "over".

The problem with reporting is that numbers, outbreaks, and deaths always need context.

Take Brazil, for example. The "big" wave there has already stagnated for days and there is no more growth (R < 1). Moreover, Brazil does not have extraordinarily tragic death rates, despite massive problems with its health care system. The CFR (case fatality rate) is ~2.75% for Brazil, similar to Germany and many other countries. In general, it varies between 1.5% and 5% depending on the country.
The IFR (infection fatality rate), the much more important factor, is isolated to countries in Brazil, due to the lower average age of the population, certainly lower than, for example, Germany.
The IFR worldwide, by the way, is something between 0.15% - 0.30%. CFR counts only the positively tested and confirmed cases, IFR counts all infections, including asymptomatic ones (with the help of antibody studies, etc.).

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
This shit is like Russian roulette. One friend, who is obese and has asthma had just a mild flu. Another friend, in his early thirties, with no comorbidities that I know of, is in the ICU.
Vitamin D, and genetics will be the things that fill in the gaps of our understanding of Covid randomness. Vitamin D deficiency is a pandemic of its own right now.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have not so great news about my father tho, he went just now to the hospital. Shit. Sadly there isn't same level of meds ready for him as for me....

Ascend

i wish him the best, hope he pulls through

Well, in my country this is not true. We got only Pfizer vaccines (allegedly).

Two people that got the vaccine still got covid afterwards and died in the ICU.
Someone died half an hour after getting the vaccine (probably some sort of reaction).
One person became partially paralyzed after getting the vaccine.

To put that in perspective, over 20k people have been vaccinated as of today. So it seems like a small number. But it's not insignificant. The benefit of living on a relatively small island is that word travels fast, and many people know each other. But those are the ones we know of. Here, no officials are checking how many end up in the ICU after getting vaccinated, or how many end up dying despite being vaccinated. So you basically have to know someone to get that sort of info. It helps that my wife is a doctor, because she has some access to that information.

And the different strands also complicate things. Everything is called covid19, and no differentiation is really made between the strands. It's perfectly possible that the vaccines work perfectly on certain variants and not so well on others.

Hari Seldon

Honestly it feels like COVID is over here in the US. If you put even 10 minutes of effort you can get a vaccine. Out of my friend group only the laziest haven't gotten at least the first dose yet. I know Ohio is 16 and up now, along with a bunch of other states. Feels like by June everyone who wants a vaccine will have gotten one. And the media will never give him the credit, but we are balls deep in vaccine cause of Trump.

OuterLimits

I see lockdown extremely critically since it has enormous negative consequences. Many like to tell lockdown critics, "you care more about the economy than lives" while ignoring that poverty is one of the biggest factors in deaths worldwide. Yes, government can cushion the blow temporarily with stimulus payments.(In wealthier countries). However, if a bunch of businesses shut down permanently, then of course government loses tax revenue. It's not sustainable for an extended period of time.

The more important aspect is the mental and physical impact of lockdown. In the United States,deaths from opioid abuse increased in 2020. Not surprisingly, depression, anxiety, drug and alcohol abuse increase during lockdown. Humans are social creatures. It makes sense that isolating people in their homes with strict regulations has a negative impact.

Obesity is second only to age in terms of risk factor for the virus. Yet last year, a majority of people reported that they gained between 10 and 30 pounds. Some much higher. The United States already has an obesity problem, and gaining even more weight during this pandemic where obesity is a major risk factor seems counterproductive. Perhaps shutting down gyms was a bad idea?

Finally, you have the negative aspect to children. They went months in many places with no in person school, no playing with friends, and no sports/clubs. Child psychiatrists have been warning about the immense negative consequences this has on children. Keep in mind, the virus is very little threat to that age group.

In the end it somewhat becomes an ethical dilemma. Many who are dying from the increased opioid deaths are far younger than the average age of Covid-19 deaths. Other serious diseases/conditions including cancer get fewer or delayed treatments and surgeries because of the Covid-19 focus. Which will ultimately result in more cancer deaths not far down the road. Perhaps many of them preventable if they had been diagnosed and treated earlier.

If Covid-19 were deadly to children and young adults like smallpox, polio, and Spanish flu were, then I would be in complete support of lockdown. It isn't though, and therefore I'm not convinced the pros outweigh the cons.

betrayal

Banned
I see lockdown extremely critically since it has enormous negative consequences. Many like to tell lockdown critics, "you care more about the economy than lives" while ignoring that poverty is one of the biggest factors in deaths worldwide. Yes, government can cushion the blow temporarily with stimulus payments.(In wealthier countries). However, if a bunch of businesses shut down permanently, then of course government loses tax revenue. It's not sustainable for an extended period of time.

The more important aspect is the mental and physical impact of lockdown. In the United States,deaths from opioid abuse increased in 2020. Not surprisingly, depression, anxiety, drug and alcohol abuse increase during lockdown. Humans are social creatures. It makes sense that isolating people in their homes with strict regulations has a negative impact.

Obesity is second only to age in terms of risk factor for the virus. Yet last year, a majority of people reported that they gained between 10 and 30 pounds. Some much higher. The United States already has an obesity problem, and gaining even more weight during this pandemic where obesity is a major risk factor seems counterproductive. Perhaps shutting down gyms was a bad idea?

Finally, you have the negative aspect to children. They went months in many places with no in person school, no playing with friends, and no sports/clubs. Child psychiatrists have been warning about the immense negative consequences this has on children. Keep in mind, the virus is very little threat to that age group.

In the end it somewhat becomes an ethical dilemma. Many who are dying from the increased opioid deaths are far younger than the average age of Covid-19 deaths. Other serious diseases/conditions including cancer get fewer or delayed treatments and surgeries because of the Covid-19 focus. Which will ultimately result in more cancer deaths not far down the road. Perhaps many of them preventable if they had been diagnosed and treated earlier.

If Covid-19 were deadly to children and young adults like smallpox, polio, and Spanish flu were, then I would be in complete support of lockdown. It isn't though, and therefore I'm not convinced the pros outweigh the cons.

I didn't say that lockdowns don't also have disadvantages, because they can have very severe consequences.
However, it must also be clearly stated that many personal problems do not result from the lockdown itself, but that the lockdown has mostly only intensified them, allowed them to develop more quickly and thus made them much more visible. In most cases, those who develop psychological problems as a result of the lockdown already had them before, but they were not visible or were even less pronounced. To a much lesser extent, this also applies to companies and businesses.

And because you bring up the subject of weight gain: I can't hear this crap anymore. People have months to do something for themselves and to use the lockdown more or less wisely and a large part lives in a vegetative state, eats shit and is hardly active, while two square meters are enough to get into the best shape of your life. As with the psychological problems, the corona virus or the lockdown here only acts as a boost, mercilessly exposing and reinforcing people's weaknesses.

As I said, I do not claim that there is no suffering due to lockdowns, but the truth is that a lot of suffering only became more visible due to the lockdown, especially the aspects of physical and mental health. What is already most disturbing is the fact that politics will use the whole thing again to get more votes in the future. We can already look forward to many new "corona victims" whose "unfortunate" situation is of course, as always, not self-inflicted and who can solve their problems only through outside help. Before corona, there were already more and more people without self-reflection and self-responsibility and the whole thing will get much worse.

llien

Influenza season in Japan ends with under 1/500th the number of physician visits compared to the already low previous year. Unit in the graph below are in 10,000s.

abd0e_1615_6bdcfb4c70e703a030f1c304eb1e9731.jpg

COVID numbers throughout the pandemic have also been relatively low in the country.
We were able to brush off China's success with "oh, but figures were suppressed" and "oh, but it's a dictatorship", yet there it is, the insane difference of Wulhan Virus impact on South Korea/Japan and the West.
Why was it so different needs to be investigated and lessons need to be learned.

llien

S segasonic
Did the "kids don't spread it" and "kids spread it, so you get herd immunity" happen at the same time?

Because I have my anecdotal evidence of "kids don't spread it".
12 y.o. teen at my daughter's school infected no-one (no masks were worn back then, it was a year ago).
15 y.o. daughter of my friend infected no other family member.

On the other hand, my brother's family possibly got it from school, 11 y.o. son likely transmitted it.

I'd say, overall, little humans are much less likely to spread it seems like a fair assessment of reality.

llien

Good morning:

EU heel turn complete.

A country that exported zero dozes, while having enough jabs to cover half of its population is about to get "generous" with evil EU, that has exported half of jabs produced, while barely having enough jabs to cover 10% of the population.

It is amazing what "ex girlfriend syndrome" does to humans.

Last edited:

llien

And, oh, wait, who has been caught lying about people dying from rare side effects:

The UK's medicines regulator is urging people to continue taking the AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, despite revealing that seven people in the country have died from rare blood clots after getting the shot
euronews

I recall video of that British dude recalling only 1 case, so, exactly how did that UK vs UK discrepancy happen?

#SmokeAndMIrrors

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
We were able to brush off China's success with "oh, but figures were suppressed" and "oh, but it's a dictatorship", yet there it is, the insane difference of Wulhan Virus impact on South Korea/Japan and the West.
Why was it so different needs to be investigated and lessons need to be learned.

Especially with Japan, because they really didn't do much at all. Probably some of the least restrictions in the entire world.

Low obesity rates and a generally healthy population, though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Good morning:

A country that exported zero dozes, while having enough jabs to cover half of its population is about to get "generous" with evil EU, that has exported half of jabs produced, while barely having enough jabs to cover 10% of the population.

It is amazing what "ex girlfriend syndrome" does to humans.

These people have no concept of what constitutes a wave. We haven't even had a third wave yet (just a prolonged 2nd wave) and these clowns are worrying about a fourth one?

Just read up about this super scary double mutant Covid monstrosity. It is currently thought to be 15% more transmissible and researchers believe the vaccines will remain effective against it. Fuck the sensationalist media, they are responsible for the shit show we are in with mental health in the United States because of bullshit headlines like this.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
These people have no concept of what constitutes a wave. We haven't even had a third wave yet (just a prolonged 2nd wave) and these clowns are worrying about a fourth one?
COVID Derangement Syndrome is the Double Mutant version of Trump Derangement Syndrome for the media. They know their fear porn will burn out with vaccinations so they have to scare people as much as they can in the weeks they have left.

Raven117

And Texas cases? Things are still low after the lifting of the mask mandate.

Open Vaccinations. About 1/3 of all Texans have had at least one jab.....Its just about over in the Lone Star State. Suck it fear mongers.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And Texas cases? Things are still low after the lifting of the mask mandate.

Open Vaccinations. About 1/3 of all Texans have had at least one jab.....Its just about over in the Lone Star State. Suck it fear mongers.

Dude, LOS ANGELES (the EPICENTER in the US, remember?) is about to open at the least restrictive tier this month.

ManaByte

Gold Member
CALIFORNIA TO REOPEN 100% ON JUNE 15TH (because Newsom doesn't want to be recalled)

With coronavirus cases continuing to decline in California as vaccinations increase, Gov. Gavin Newsom announced Tuesday that the state’s economy could fully open up again as early as June 15.

The full reopening is contingent on two criteria: that California’s COVID-19 vaccine supply is sufficient for all adults who wish to receive the shot; and that hospitalization rates remain stable and low.

If those two conditions are met, in two months the state — as a whole — will be able to move into a new phase beyond the state four-tiered, color-coded system that’s been guiding reopenings for more than six months.

Once that happens, the “Blueprint for a Safer Economy” plan will essentially be scrapped. Then, every single sector listed in the system will be allowed to resume normal operations, provided they keep public health policies in place to prevent the spread of the virus. The state’s testing and contract tracing efforts will also continue.

Even conventions and other large-scale indoor events will be permitted with the requirement of testing or vaccination verification.

One measure that will remain in effect for the foreseeable future is the state’s mask mandate, which Newsom called “the most powerful and important non-pharmaceutical intervention” to curb the virus’ spread.

“We are committed to extinguishing this disease and we don’t have any short term goals as it relates to lifting the mask mandate,” he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom