• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multi Not Announced

lockload

XboxWorld just plain make things up i once bought it because it had a halo3 exclusive reveal and all it had was an old screenshot

You can see from their recent comment that they have no official news

FStop7

Banned
UnlovedJew said:
Don't know why people are bitching about something that's optional. As long as it doesn't take anything away from the main game, I don't see the problem with more replay value. Plus, you never know, it could be surprisingly good like Assassin's Creed Brotherhood's MP.

I'm not really on the hate boat (at least not yet) but I think the concern is that it appears resources are being diverted away from what is supposed to be the climax of what was originally going to be a very grand and ambitious trilogy of games. ME1 was scaled down a bit from the outset, but you can really see where ME2 was scaled down even further. So now we're at ME3, the grand finale, and it's just... concerning, I guess.

ME2 was such a large game that the developers had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the content to fit onto two DVDs (some of that was due to some content needing to exist on both discs). So to hear that ME3, which should be the most dialogue and story rich of the series, may end up having a feature that's going to burn up space on the disks (not to mention consuming budget and human resources) for something other than the campaign is kind of a letdown, at least if it turns out to be true.

i dunno about you but is it acceptable in this day and age to go front page with a rumour ??

i though written publications were more than that ..

Derrick01

Banned
So there's still some tiny hope they won't do it? Some small light at the end of a trainwreck filled tunnel that is ME3's pre-release hype?

I don't get it. Why am I one of the few people that think that its ok for Mass Effect 3 to have multiplayer? They barely need to do any work to tack on multiplayer. If they actually devote any time or resources to it then it might not even be terrible.

Moaradin

Mass Effect 3 combat looks great and would fit amazingly well in multiplayer. I don't understand the hate.. Didn't Uncharted 2 have multiplayer and wasn't the game much better than the first?

Dollar Yen

Neo Member
The_Technomancer said:
I could have sworn that Hoarde style multi was confirmed like four months ago. Maybe not.

I'd actually play that sort of thing NOW since the Husks are not just limited to the human race.

Derrick01

Banned
Moaradin said:
Mass Effect 3 combat looks great and would fit amazingly well in multiplayer. I don't understand the hate.. Didn't Uncharted 2 have multiplayer and wasn't the game much better than the first?

Uncharted's not a rpg at all and is not made by rpg devs. Plus I still maintain my position that multiplayer in Uncharted was a huge waste, the campaign was just the right length and was considered near perfect by almost everyone. Why people need more deathmatch in every game is what I don't understand, I get more than enough of that in Battlefield and Call of Duty.

rozay

Banned
A horde style would work fine, deathmatch/PvP will need some significant reworking to balance it, if they include powers.

I think people are pissed off because they think multiplayer will take disc space, manpower and budget away from the single player campaign, and because it continues heading away from why they liked the original mass effect.

Moaradin

Derrick01 said:
Uncharted's not a rpg at all and is not made by rpg devs. Plus I still maintain my position that multiplayer in Uncharted was a huge waste, the campaign was just the right length and was considered near perfect by almost everyone. Why people need more deathmatch in every game is what I don't understand, I get more than enough of that in Battlefield and Call of Duty.

I don't find the connection with multiplayer SOMEHOW declining the quality of a rpg. Multiplayer done right adds life to any game. I don't have a problem with that at all if they can pull it off.

Derrick01

Banned
Moaradin said:
I don't find the connection with multiplayer SOMEHOW declining the quality of a rpg. Multiplayer done right adds life to any game. I don't have a problem with that at all if they can pull it off.

Multiplayer doesn't belong in a rpg at all. Well, not a real rpg at least. That ship sailed a long time ago for this franchise though.

Derrick01

Banned
Vlodril said:
Demon souls says hi.

Probably the worst "multiplayer" of any game I've ever played. I played disconnected after someone randomly came in and ruined what I was doing. That sure was fun, especially in a game that resets things when you die!

Moaradin

I remember multiplayer in Dark Messiah: Might and Magic and I loved it. It even had skill trees in multiplayer that let you unlock new spells for your class whenever you got enough experience. That wasn't even a big game. Something like Mass Effect and it's budget could do it much better.

Vlodril

Probably the worst "multiplayer" of any game I've ever played. I played disconnected after someone randomly came in and ruined what I was doing. That sure was fun, especially in a game that resets things when you die!

*facepalms* I am banning you from making any decisions about gaming :p

Monocle

How the hell is this a good idea? Was there a single person or being or autonomous nexus of ethereal life in the whole of the cosmos that finished Mass Effect and then said to themselves, "That was pretty good, but it would have been a lot better if I'd been able to stand behind crates while my fellow dudebro got shot in the head"?

No, there was not. I checked.

ME3's multiplayer will prove to be a waste of resources that should have been used to make the campaign a better single player experience.

Plywood said:
Bioware:
wo0Pb.gif

Me:
CBDBT.gif
Haha, basically this.

Seanspeed

Banned
Dont see the big problem. I think it'd actually be interesting to make the entire game co-op. You've already got two companions with you - why not have an actual person playing the role rather than the sometimes braindead computer AI?

I remember having a lot of fun with Secret of Mana co-op, for instance.

angelfly

The need to cram multiplayer into everything this gen is depressing. Those resources would be much better put to use working on the SP campaign.

MNC

Monocle said:
How the hell is this a good idea? Was there a single person or being or autonomous nexus of ethereal life in the whole of the cosmos that finished Mass Effect and then said to themselves, "That was pretty good, but it would have been a lot better if I'd been able to stand behind crates while my fellow dudebro got shot in the head"?

No, there was not. I checked.

ME3's multiplayer will prove to be a waste of resources that should have been used to make the campaign a better single player experience.

Haha, basically this.
I did say at once that I would love to explore worlds with a fellow in co-op mode. To myself. I still stand by it. I'd love to have some co-op in ME3 and it might actually make it a worthwhile game after stripping ME2 of so many good stuff.

MNC said:
I did say at once that I would love to explore worlds with a fellow in co-op mode. To myself. I still stand by it. I'd love to have some co-op in ME3 and it might actually make it a worthwhile game after stripping ME2 of so many good stuff.

Yeah I had that thought too. You spend the entire game running around with 2 squadmates, of course it would be cool to have those be controlled by your buds. Hell I'd be perfectly fine shooting them too, you're all nuts to flip out this early.

Zeliard

Lostconfused said:
I don't get it. Why am I one of the few people that think that its ok for Mass Effect 3 to have multiplayer? They barely need to do any work to tack on multiplayer. If they actually devote any time or resources to it then it might not even be terrible.

I'm okay with it because it's been clear from the start that EA and Bioware want the Mass Effect series to be third-person shooter from a gameplay standpoint, and so nothing they ever do to take further steps in that direction surprises me. It's the reason I enjoyed Mass Effect 2; vastly lowered expectations relative to Mass Effect 1, which stands along with Spore and FFXIII as my most starkly disappointing games of this generation.

People were surprised when Mass Effect 2 redesigned the combat and outright stripped other things out instead of trying to build from the first game, but it seemed to me the only logical progression given what their goals for the series seem to be.

Derrick01 said:
To anger rpg fans more and to try and catch that ever elusive 10 million COD crowd.
Hah, yeah, I think I'm done with this series. I was pretty sure a few weeks ago, but now I think I could put it to rest. Oh, well. Shepard rolls into cover from planet to planet, gives an epic speech, and fucks an alien. I already know how the trilogy ends, so i saved myself $60.

niz

I'm a little worried. Why would they introduce multiplayers in the last game of a singleplayer trilogy? It makes no sense.

Monocle said:

PREACH.

Man, I barely even give a flying shite about Mass Effect 3 any more. All I want from the game is for the end to go something like this;

Shepard and crew find some ancient Prothean with a super-weapon that wipes out all Reapers.

Ancient Prothean: "To use this weapon, one of you...must...stay behind.

Paragon: Shepard stays

Renegade: Tali stays

Being unable to have both Shep and Tali survive would probably reduce the Bioware forums to the most glorious meltdown the internet has ever seen. It would be even better if, during the scene, some retarded squad member like Grunt was hanging around the background but couldn't be chosen to die.

Yeah, that's the only way Bioware can get me back.

Monocle

MNC said:
I'll slip you a 20 if you lay low until ME3 goes gold.

But seriously, I don't follow your reasoning. I think it's unlikely that co-op will make ME3 better unless it has most of that good stuff you mentioned. If the gameplay isn't great, throwing another person into the mix probably won't improve it.

ironcreed

Banned
As long as it does not compromise the campaign, then I really don't care either way. As it stands, I am just going to simply wait and see, rather than getting all worked up over what may not even affect the part of the game I care about.

rozay

Banned
niz said:
I'm a little worried. Why would they introduce multiplayers in the last game of a singleplayer trilogy? It makes no sense.
The multiplayer likely has nothing to do with the singleplayer campaign.

niz said:

Haven't you heard? According to Bioware, the third chapter of a trilogy is the perfect time for newcomers to jump in! Coz...well, war and shit.

Zeliard

niz said:

It's another bullet point and it's trendy this gen to do so, particularly in the past couple years. It creates additional profit for EA through their Online Pass system, and additional profit for EA and Bioware through potential multiplayer-related DLC.

I'd like to take the optimistic approach but look at who we're talking about here. They need to do something to deserve the benefit of the doubt.

MNC

Monocle said:
I'll slip you a 20 if you lay low until ME3 goes gold.

But seriously, I don't follow your reasoning. I think it's unlikely that co-op will make ME3 better unless it has most of that good stuff you mentioned. If the gameplay isn't great, throwing another person into the mix probably won't improve it.
To me, any form of co-operative is USUALLY (keyword here! Though I haven't found a game that was worse in any form thanks to co-op) something that enhances the experience. I'm not a fan of forced co-op, but it gives me another game to be enjoyed with a buddy. Though I have to agree with you as well; if the 'good stuff' isn't there, or not correctly implemented and therefor lacking in gameplay the co-op will be a lesser experience as well. That, or having bad co-op like I think Fable 2 did or something (Not being able to use your own character?)

rozay said:
The multiplayer likely has nothing to do with the singleplayer campaign.

Thanks. Someone with some rationality here. I think that if they wanna throw it in, cool. The more the better. Why worry/complain about something so petty as an added feature?

I think it's interesting, back in the day it was almost standard for PC RPGs to have online multiplayer. Specifically Bioware: the Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Night had it. Then Knights of the Old Republic came out, the first of their "console-style" RPGs which dropped a lot of traditional PC features like online multiplayer. Mass Effect is an evolution of the KotoR style, but now it might be getting multiplayer again. But since the KotoR style has become the norm for RPGs, multiplayer is now seen as anti-RPG.

Not that this means MP will be good for Mass Effect, seeing as the series was originally designed not to have it.

Zeliard

voodoopanda said:
I think it's interesting, back in the day it was almost standard for PC RPGs to have online multiplayer. Specifically Bioware: the Baldur's Gate series and Neverwinter Night had it. Then Knights of the Old Republic came out, the first of their "console-style" RPGs which dropped a lot of traditional PC features like online multiplayer. Mass Effect is an evolution of the KotoR style, but now it might be getting multiplayer again. But since the KotoR style has become the norm for RPGs, multiplayer is now seen as anti-RPG.

Not that this means MP will be good for Mass Effect, seeing as the series was originally designed not to have it.

Difference there is the multiplayer was built in from the start and was a logical development as an attempt at imitating the social pen & paper D&D style. Though I guess this is also the logical development in making the third-person shooteriness of the series more obvious (if they add a Horde-type mode I will laugh at the sheer blatancy.)

I don't have an issue with the notion of MP in an otherwise single-player RPG if done right - and Mass Effect isn't really an RPG anyway - but it's difficult to believe that EA and Bioware have all the best intentions for the consumer behind (possibly) adding it in Mass Effect 3.

Dacon

Banned
Monocle said:

I remember when people said this bullshit about Uncharted 2.

Dacon

Banned
Plywood said:
BioWare is not Naughty Dog.

No shit.

But people still said the same damn thing and it wasn't true at all.

There's no reason it can't turn out the same way for ME3, despite what people think of Bioware.

Top Bottom