• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

It's their first go at a multiplayer. Even "experienced" devs can't get balance right so to get on BioWare because of that isn't really fair.

With some DLC to add more content/variety to the multiplayer and a few balance tweaks, a lot of problems would be solved.

They actually did pretty good for their first attempt. Hell, if it wasn't for the MP I would have sold this game because I'm never playing the SP again after that shit ending.

Sure, it's practically impossible to get multiplayer balance exactly right. But Bioware wasn't even close. Clearly no effort was put into play testing or balancing. It doesn't take a special trick to make a Human Vanguard awesome, you just spam two powers over and over. That should have been obvious during play testing. And how did they not realize how overpowered the Sabotage power was before the game shipped? They had to nerf the hell out of it because it was so overpowered.

And it's not like this is competitive multiplayer, where balance is super important. There only needed to be some semblance of balance in ME3's co-op mode. Instead, some entire classes are practically worthless. It's just strange, and it's even more curious as to why, after making 3 different game updates to tweak things, some of the weakest classes/powers still haven't been addressed, nor have some of the most overpowered.

It's nice to see these N7 Challenge promotions, that's some pretty cool stuff. But I just don't understand why balancing hasn't been a higher priority.

meSchnitzel

Neo Member
Sure, it's practically impossible to get multiplayer balance exactly right. But Bioware wasn't even close. Clearly no effort was put into play testing or balancing. It doesn't take a special trick to make a Human Vanguard awesome, you just spam two powers over and over. That should have been obvious during play testing. And how did they not realize how overpowered the Sabotage power was before the game shipped? They had to nerf the hell out of it because it was so overpowered.

And it's not like this is competitive multiplayer, where balance is super important. There only needed to be some semblance of balance in ME3's co-op mode. Instead, some entire classes are practically worthless. It's just strange, and it's even more curious as to why, after making 3 different game updates to tweak things, some of the weakest classes/powers still haven't been addressed, nor have some of the most overpowered.

It's nice to see these N7 Challenge promotions, that's some pretty cool stuff. But I just don't understand why balancing hasn't been a higher priority.

I think you got it right there. My guess is that they didnt think the multi would be as popular with the "power level" type online players out there.

I think you got it right there. My guess is that they didnt think the multi would be as popular with the "power level" type online players out there.

You may be right. The success of ME3's multiplayer may have surprised them, especially after the collective internet groan when it was announced. But I'd still like to see them do more with it now. I don't even care about nerfing overpowered classes/powers, I just want them to make the Turian Soldier not suck ass.

It's their first go at a multiplayer. Even "experienced" devs can't get balance right so to get on BioWare because of that isn't really fair.

It's a pretty low bar that they set themselves. A bare-bones horde mode clone, 6 maps, 3 enemies, 3 objectives. Level 20 cap, 11 waves per round... it's not like they went very deep into designing this. The only part that really needed proper, in depth design was balancing all the powers and abilities for the various race/class combinations and they didn't really do a great job there.

I actually having flashbacks to KF when I'm playing this.

I doubt that Tripwire would nail AI though.

What kind of AI does horde mode have anyway? Enemies spawn out of line of sight, use pathfinding to travel along the shortest path to the closest enemy, and take cover if you're being shot at from the front. In this game, there's a couple more rules... one hit kill if in range, charge/scream/melee if in range. That's it.

Nome

Just had a flawless Gold run on Quarian Infiltrator and I WAS REWARDED A STUPID SHITTY CHARACTER.

This is terrible.

Yeah, nothing worse than buying a Spectre and getting a character that you've already maxed out customization for AND is level 20.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
You dont need Ai when the enemies are design to complement each other. Banshees are scary, but they are no flesh pound.

Banshees are useless pussies (i.e. kittens in this case) comparing to fleshpounds. But ME3 enemies have great AI. Like one of the best I have witnessed recently. And most fun comes from fighting them. Killing Floor enemies are much less fun to fight if there are not many of them. But there are many of them in Killing Floor, so that is not important. Also enemies are totally different and the flow is different. But ME3 has something that hooks me up like Killing Floor did.

Stantron

You get the head shot sound effect when hitting either a brute or banshee in the head, so I'm guessing that does more damage. I also remember reading that shooting a brute in the butt is also a week spot. Don't know if true.

Mupod

itLVTyczVebcV.gif

Friends don't let friends play Vanguard when they aren't the host.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Brutes can be hit in the head or in the ass. Just dodge the armored shoulders.
Shoot?

Real men Charge Banshees, son.

Real men die like heroes.

Trying infiltrator right now - and I'd love to know how to make these Black Widow shots count better.

Kyoufu

http://i.minus.com/itLVTyczVebcV.gif

Friends don't let friends play Vanguard when they aren't the host.[/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Real men die like heroes.

Trying infiltrator right now - and I'd love to know how to make these Black Widow shots count better.

I don't have a Black Widow, but I'd imagine something like Cloak -> Sabotage/whatever -> Shoot x 2 -> repeat

Mindlog

I still don't know where to shoot Banshees.
where is the best place to shoot Brutes?
Any exposed area. The large characters are not supposed to have weak spots. The Prime and Atlas do, but they plan on patching that out.

I got in some maps before I have to head out. First Gold map was Glacier vs Geth. Lots of Sentinels, but we wiped after my Cobra ghost fired. I'm nearing 50/50 on whether or not a cobra is going to do anything. F r u s t r a t i n g. I should have picked safer considering it wasn't a farm team. The map setting was random/random/Gold.

We try again with an... odd assortment.
Salarian Infiltrator (my consistent safe pick)
Salarian Engineer (knew how to work decoy)
Krogan Sentinel (weird, but ok)
Turian Soldier (something different)

We land on Tuchanka vs reapers. It got really dodgy at times, but Salarian Infiltrators do not die. My credit streak as a Salarian Infiltrator continues. I'm closing in on 1 million credits.

Anything can win gold, but SI can solo it. There was one point where I wasted a rocket to kill two banshees because I didn't want to take too long while everyone was watching.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Any exposed area. The large characters are not supposed to have weak spots. The Prime and Atlas do, but they plan on patching that out.

I got in some maps before I have to head out. First Gold map was Glacier vs Geth. Lots of Sentinels, but we wiped after my Cobra ghost fired. I'm nearing 50/50 on whether or not a cobra is going to do anything. F r u s t r a t i n g. I should have picked safer considering it wasn't a farm team. The map setting was random/random/Gold.

We try again with an... odd assortment.
Salarian Infiltrator (my consistent safe pick)
Salarian Engineer (knew how to work decoy)
Krogan Sentinel (weird, but ok)
Turian Soldier (something different)

We land on Tuchanka vs reapers. It got really dodgy at times, but Salarian Infiltrators do not die. My credit streak as a Salarian Infiltrator continues. I'm closing in on 1 million credits.

Anything can win gold, but SI can solo it. There was one point where I wasted a rocket to kill two banshees because I didn't want to take too long while everyone was watching.

The fuck. Give me some please.

What kind of sniper rifle and build do you use on your SI if you dont mind sharing?

Woo-Fu

Banned

I've finished quite a few while the rest of the team is dead as Salarian Infiltrator.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Wait wtf. Why would they promote it now in-game?

Good thing I have four more classes to promote.

Kyoufu

I got 110k score on Quarian Infiltrator against Gold Geth while talking to someone on MSN.

Man, Infiltrator is so fun. Just need Salarian.

XAL

Christ, I experienced the winning formula for credits today.

Gold, any map, Geth

2 Salarian Engies with maxed Decoy and Life Drain

I was an Human Engie lvl 15 and there was a level 6 infiltrator

We beat it in less than 30 minutes and got 300k xp and 75k credits

mother of god.

then i bought 2 spectre packs, got a salarian engineer and 2 geth shotgun upgrades (bringing current level for that to IX)

Dreamer RD

Im also getting total garbage from Spectre packs. Bought about 10 lately and only 1 upgrade for Carnifex and Geth pulse shit rifle. The rest were worthless + 100000 XP boosts. Ah, 1 rocket upgrade also.

X-Frame

I am enjoying the Drell Vanguard in the meantime while the Drell Adept is broken. While Pull > Charge is effective and fun on Bronze/Silver, I don't see how it is in any way better or more effective than Pull > Reave. Anyone?

I'm afraid to try my Asari Adept or Quarian engineer after playing a Soldier and Sentinel. I can't run around blasting shit and live. Yay learning curve.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My fastest console clear has been 25m. I see PC clears and they're doing it in ~17 or less. :/

I can usually beat a bronze match on that small map with the labs, computers and shit with only one extraction point in 14 mins on PC.

Is multiplayer's game speed faster on PC than it is on consoles? Sure seems that way in youtube videos.

On PC I've done like a 15min gold run before. I never go over 20mins on gold and average like 17min. I don't know if that answers your question or not.

Top Bottom