• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer |OT| Rich, deep online role playing

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Do you only get one pack for promoting 2 characters? Or can you get multiples for multiple promotions?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
And I don't know what it is, but I can't get the hang of Decoy... I have discovered the secret love of Sabotage though. The thing is, you really can't even appreciate it until Gold when its essentially the best skill in the game.

Decoy clicked with me when I stopped trying to be, of all things, overly tactful with it. Think of it like a random distraction. It doesn't really matter if the enemy can see you, or is even taking damage. If they don't see you cast decoy (like the Infiltrator's cloak), they'll usually prioritise the decoy as their target.

It becomes an AI magnet, and in turn makes the AI a sitting duck.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The Krogan Sentinel is a blast to play. Run around and meleeing Brutes on Silver is great fun.

Damn the two classes I want to play most are the two classes I still havent gotten (Krogan Sentinel, Quarian Engineer) . But I did get asari adept, the vanguards and salarian engineer right off the bat so I guess I cant complain too much.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't get jiggy with anything but Adept, Spamguard, and Infiltrator.

And I don't know what it is, but I can't get the hang of Decoy... I have discovered the secret love of Sabotage though. The thing is, you really can't even appreciate it until Gold when its essentially the best skill in the game.

What does Sabotage work against besides Geth?

After finally reaching Lv 20 with my asari adept (thanks for the building tips) and even succeeding for the very first time in a silver map, I decided to try my luck as a human infiltrator for my next character.

Maxed out cloak so far, and judging by a few things I've read elsewhere, apparently I should max out grenades, alliance and fitness as well. Having some trouble with sniping, I've never been a good or even a competent sniper in any game ever, but I want to at least reach Lv 20 before deciding.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
After finally reaching Lv 20 with my asari adept (thanks for the building tips) and even succeeding for the very first time in a silver map, I decided to try my luck as a human infiltrator for my next character.

Maxed out cloak so far, and judging by a few things I've read elsewhere, apparently I should max out grenades, alliance and fitness as well. Having some trouble with sniping, I've never been a good or even a competent sniper in any game ever, but I want to at least reach Lv 20 before deciding.

Some infiltrators use high damage shotguns/pistols. You could try that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Unfortunately, unless you try an oddball build (like cloak -> shotgun), the key to Infiltrator is all in...aiming. You want to maximise damage and go for the head.

As a side, infiltrators are invaluable for reviving fallen squadmates and hacking objectives. As long as the enemy doesn't see you cloak, you can get in and revive a squadmate without anybody seeing you, and almost capture a whole hacking point while totally invisible.

Sober

Unfortunately, unless you try an oddball build (like cloak -> shotgun), the key to Infiltrator is all in...aiming. You want to maximise damage and go for the head.

As a side, infiltrators are invaluable for reviving fallen squadmates and hacking objectives. As long as the enemy doesn't see you cloak, you can get in and revive a squadmate without anybody seeing you, and almost capture a whole hacking point while totally invisible.
Again, the trick to using cloak even with a heavy weapon is to fire it as soon as you can, preferably by popping it when you find an enemy then following up so the cloak cooldown doesn't last forever. The only time to use a full cloak duration is objectives and revives and stuff like that.

Salarian is just the perfect infiltrator because energy drain strips shields and either a sniper rifle or the right shotgun to the face will do the trick.

Mindlog

The Krogan Sentinel is a blast to play. Run around and meleeing Brutes on Silver is great fun.
As soon as he hears any of the big enemies my Krogan's eyes light up.

Played as a Krogan Sentinel and a Vanguard handily beat all of our scores. I did not care, but all the other players switched to Vanguard. 4 Vanguards is too much fun to pass up so I went Vanguard. To his credit the original Vanguard switched to Infiltrator (res pony.) I wanted to test a change so I dropped my Disciple and picked up my caster special (Phalanx X - Tempest X.) We were all score whoring, but the other two Vanguards took it too far. They never bothered with objectives. I don't believe they ever considered entering the capture areas. Lame. However, the original Vanguard now Infiltrator was ace. I still had the highest score by a large margin. SMG Vanguard makes so much sense. Maybe that will change when I get a higher level Disciple.

Tempest is fantastic. Easily the most underrated gun in the game.

For sale: Carnifax V, barely used.

Again, the trick to using cloak even with a heavy weapon is to fire it as soon as you can, preferably by popping it when you find an enemy then following up so the cloak cooldown doesn't last forever. The only time to use a full cloak duration is objectives and revives and stuff like that.

Salarian is just the perfect infiltrator because energy drain strips shields and either a sniper rifle or the right shotgun to the face will do the trick.
I have yet to lose a map following that advice.
The Salarian Infiltrator is my safe class.
Human Sentinel is my favorite.
Krogan is my second favorite.
Vanguard retired due to lag.
Engineer I'm sorry I just don't like you. If I get an N7 Valiant we'll talk.
Adepts are pretty good.

Stantron

Does Sabotage take over Atlas'?
For a short while, yes, but it can do some big damage against his comrades during that time. Be aware though, that after being spammed several times, the effect becomes null against those enemies. I suppose it's designed that way to prevent over exploiting sabotage spam.

I hope the next specialty pack has nothing but ammo II and III mods. They make such a big difference.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
As soon as he hears any of the big enemies my Krogan's eyes light up.

Played as a Krogan Sentinel and a Vanguard handily beat all of our scores. I did not care, but all the other players switched to Vanguard. 4 Vanguards is too much fun to pass up so I went Vanguard. To his credit the original Vanguard switched to Infiltrator (res pony.) I wanted to test a change so I dropped my Disciple and picked up my caster special (Phalanx X - Tempest X.) We were all score whoring, but the other two Vanguards took it too far. They never bothered with objectives. I don't believe they ever considered entering the capture areas. Lame. However, the original Vanguard now Infiltrator was ace. I still had the highest score by a large margin. SMG Vanguard makes so much sense. Maybe that will change when I get a higher level Disciple.

In defense of my more reckless Spamhard brethren... Its REALLY hard for them to perform the 'occupy' objectives and tasks. They're just not suitable for it. Most think that by attacking mobs away from the objectives and occupying hordes they're helping by relieving pressure on the rest of the team - and they're right some of the time.

Mindlog

In defense of my more reckless Spamhard brethren... Its REALLY hard for them to perform the 'occupy' objectives and tasks. They're just not suitable for it. Most think that by attacking mobs away from the objectives and occupying hordes they're helping by relieving pressure on the rest of the team - and they're right some of the time.
I did both with my Tempest Vanguard and finished with the top score! With 3 Vanguards we definitely should have turtled up. The short-charging and nova-spamming would have been epic.

Shameful.
It can be yours for just 19,999 credits.
I bought 3 jumbo equipment packs, but have not purchased other packs in a very long time. I can get around a dozen specter packs.

Sober

Probably just going to spend most of my credits on jumbo equipment for the weekend to make up for all the times I pressed the medigel button on lost causes.

X-Frame

On Bronze and Silver everyone should occupy the objective and it's not that difficult with players that know what they're doing, but on Gold I'll agree that having 1 or sometimes 2 people outside the objective to draw fire is worth it. The base credits for completion are always the same but the time bonus is affected.

I hate how some people expect you to save them regardless of the situation. So GAF I ask you when do you save your teammates and when do you let them die?

I generally try to save, but if it's definitely going to get me killed, I let them bleed out. It also depends greatly on the difficulty level and how many other teammates are left. If I'm the only one left, and I'm facing big odds, I try to revive a fallen teammate, as I figure there's no way I can pull it off without help. On the flip side, if the enemy odds are in my favor, and I've got a teammate or two still alive, I'm not going to put myself in danger to save someone else, because doing so would just make it more difficult to beat that wave if I were to die in the process.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I hate how some people expect you to save them regardless of the situation. So GAF I ask you when do you save your teammates and when do you let them die?

Depends alot.

If i'm playing salarian engineer against geths and the people who die died because of their own stupidity, i wont bother risking my life to revive them just to see them die again. I can handle most geths on my own unless its during a hacking objective.

eek5

If we're holding an area and they are next to me, I'll save them. If they're across the room and I can hold the choke myself I usually let them bleed out lol

meSchnitzel

Neo Member

In my opinion it is rarely helpful for anyone to not be chillin in the zone. The difference in time it takes to just makes it harder and harder. I understand maybe charging out and running back occasionaly, but even if they are outside of the circle enemies close that gap. They should be right there helping in the circle taking out the things that get too close. Might just be me though.

TheExodu5

Banned

Another tip with infiltrator:

If you're cloaked and fire a shot, you can immediately use a power for free before the cooldown resets. The cloak cooldown then overrides that power's cooldown. It's actually better to cloak -> fire -> sabotage, then to straight up sabotage, since the former results in a faster sabotage cooldown.

SaberVulcan

So is there any reason to play a non-human Vanguard? Nova just seems way too important to pass up on.

Also, Krogan Sentinels are totally the best.

Omega

Banned

I don't save anyone unless I absolutely need to. I've risked my life saving people just for them to go down in seconds and then I die.

Most of the time people go down because they decided to challenge the enemy instead of retreating when they had the chance. I'm fully aware of what my teammates are doing throughout the game so when people try to bullshit me with some excuse I just laugh.

Then if they get an attitude, I take my time if I'm the last one alive. Let them sit there and think about why they died and hopefully play smarter so they don't have to sit and watch me do nothing for 10 minutes.

So is there any reason to play a non-human Vanguard? Nova just seems way too important to pass up on.

Not really, maybe if you have an Asari Vanguard and not an Asari Adept and like Stasis Bubble, I also like pull/charge detonations on my Drellgaurd, but yeah, the Human Vanguard is easily the best.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

Stasis is the best support skill in the game and the drell can cause his own biotic explosions to initiate.

I'd much rather play Asari Vanguard, with Stasis Bubble + Carnifex headshots, than Human Vanguard. Nova + Charge is just boring to me. If I had an Asari Adept, that would be preferable to the Asari Vanguard, but I don't.

Kenaras

Tempest is fantastic. Easily the most underrated gun in the game.

My preferred Vanguard uses a Tempest, but my Phalanx isn't leveled up high enough to keep as a backup without hurting my recharge speed. The Tempest really is a great gun most of the time. Its main weakness as is that it's terrible against armor, and there's no armor-piercing mod for SMGs. Since some of a Vanguard's biggest problem enemies are armored, that can be a problem. (The ones you generally want to keep a distance from, like Banshees and Turrets.) Keeping a Phalanx solves those problems, but so does equipping armor-piercing ammo.

My other Vanguard uses a Katana X + Predator X. I'll swap the Katana with a Scimitar or Disciple once I get one leveled up high enough.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
btw do I get a pack for promoting two characters inside a class or promoting two classes?

meSchnitzel

Neo Member

Best reason: Because it can be fun! I mess around on bronze just for a different playstyle. I get bored farming credits with the "best classes" so im glad there are some other powers and guns and such to play with.

Krogan Sentinel is currently my favorite, by a long shot. Being practically invincible on bronze is a great time :)

I'll often prioritise based on how useful the teammate is. If it's some idiot then I'll just let them die. Otherwise I'll help if the situation allows it.

I really wish more teammates actually used good judgement on this. You'll see people walk right past you as you bleed out, and you'll see others charge into stupid situations to try and revive you and fail.

In one game the other day we actually failed because I accidentally ended up in a very bad position on Firebase White due to falling down a ladder (lag spikes and awkward cover controls say hi). Even though I let myself bleed out to try and discourage anyone from trying to help, they still went in. Like seeing an upcoming trainwreck and not being able to do anything about it.

Top Bottom