• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Digoman

Look, you see a crazy beam of light, you dont just walk into it. Could have green space magic in it that turns your hat into a robot.

Lesson learned. Seeing Joker running away, crashing, and the looking at the horizon with his new robo-hat, not-so-robo-anymore-EDI, and the "what the hell is my squadmate and LI doing there?" was not cool.

Next time, I'm staying put and getting that popup "The Crucible has been destroyed".

You people are over thinking this :). I don't even think that Bioware has resources to create the ending that everyone would like. I think that the that the goal of the ending was to kill off Sheppard and to reemphasize how insignificant everything in the universe is (how self destructing the universe is). I'm more pissed about framerate being worse than in ME2 that the ending. :))))

Not exactly a good way to end a trilogy about Space Jesus, imo.

"Hey, you. You're Commander Shepard. You're badass. You're awesome. You're a hero. You saved the galaxy not once, not twice, but like, three times over. Why? Because you're Space Jesus, that's why. You fucking died, but you were so fucking special they resurrected you to fight again. You have an entire race of intergalactic space monsters running scared of you. You can kill anyone you want, sleep with anyone you want, and blow up gigantic space-stations in the process. Your bro's are a spiky monster and a dinosaur. You're so awesome the galaxy actually revolves around you. Why? Because you're Commander Shepard.

Oh, but hey, nothing you did matters. Lol. Thanks for the moniez."

I read the IGN controversy section which foot note the ending drama. I know y the fans r angry, but I'm not that mad. Just the stupid multiplayer/iOS for a better ending BS

RDreamer

I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't think that it was horrible, but I think that it was somewhat obvious that there was no way they could deliver what they promised. I accepted inconsistencies in overarching story because I enjoyed smaller moments in the game.

Hey, welcome to where I stand. It's cold and kind of lonely, but we're not totally alone anymore! They'll try and convince you that you're still wrong, even if you agree with them on most points. As long as you like that ending you're wrong!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I read the IGN controversy section which foot note the ending drama. I know y the fans r angry, but I'm not that mad. Just the stupid multiplayer/iOS for a better ending BS

Its possible to get max EMS just by playing the games, but you have to have played 1 and 2.

I'm somewhere in the middle. I don't think that it was horrible, but I think that it was somewhat obvious that there was no way they could deliver what they promised. I accepted inconsistencies in overarching story because I enjoyed smaller moments in the game.

Ok, that's valid, of course. I feel like I've expressed my specific problems with the ending throughout the thread. One thing I'll add is whether or not BioWare bit off more than they could chew in the beginning, does not change my opinion on the ending.

Alchemy

You people are over thinking this :). I don't even think that Bioware has resources to create the ending that everyone would like. I think that the that the goal of the ending was to kill off Sheppard and to reemphasize how insignificant everything in the universe is (how self destructing the universe is). I'm more pissed about framerate being worse than in ME2 that the ending. :))))

Get out of this thread with your innocence while you can. Enlightenment only brings bitterness.

Ephemeris

The people infected with TITS are definitely over thinking it

The
Indoctrination
Theory
Syndrome

I'm okay with this.

tumblr_m1efyxsUVE1r3qup9o2_500.png

Lime

I'm sure they will use magic to summon new mass relays from the nether reaches.

Maybe...space magic?

Seeing how they pulled the Crucible out from Mac Walters' Secret Genius Treasury, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Mass Relays space-magically appearing again in future ME storyline.

Just have asari-Buzz Aldrin in ME4 claim that The Reaper-Shepard restored the relays with robohats or something.

Ok, that's valid, of course. I feel like I've expressed my specific problems with the ending throughout the thread. One thing I'll add is whether or not BioWare bit off more than they could chew in the beginning, does not change my opinion on the ending.

I did not like first Mass Effect when it came out, but now looking back (and replaying it quite a few times) it seems like BioWare put more effort in that game that in both ME2 and ME3 combined... That doesn't change the fact that ME2 is still my favorite game. It benefited from everything that was set up in the first one. ME3 fails in that regard, especially if you don't get "from ashes" DLC. There might be a lot of reasons why it happened, but the ending is not the biggest problem that this game has.

except that they choose to have THREE endings where they could have just made one, like the original mass effect.

Why waste resources on things you have no resources for in the first place and that aren't demanded by the player's or the game's actual design?

See why people get mad over it? There is no reason whatsoever for genocidal Casper to be there, and the 'choice' is complete unrequired bullshit that has nothing to do with the plot of either the game or the series. Sure, there is a 'theme' that it references. But theme had already been resolved in the Geth-Quarian conflict. There was nothing to add or change to it.

The reapers didn't need a commander, since that also makes the entire ME1 redundant anyway. Casper just dailed the Reapers: "yo kids, it's that time again", and poor Sovvy sacrificed himself for nothing. So that's how much Casper cares about "emshrining organic species", which is not at all.

Casper is so full of shit that any smart five year old would know that he doesn't belong in the story.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
except that they choose to have THREE endings where they could have just made one, like the original mass effect.

Why waste resources on things you have no resources for in the first place and that aren't demanded by the player's or the game's actual design?

See why people get mad over it? There is no reason whatsoever for genocidal Casper to be there, and the 'choice' is complete unrequired bullshit that has nothing to do with the plot of either the game or the series. Sure, there is a 'theme' that it references. But theme had already been resolved in the Geth-Quarian conflict. There was nothing to add or change to it.

The reapers didn't need a commander, since that also makes the entire ME1 redundant anyway. Casper just dailed the Reapers: "yo kids, it's that time again", and poor Sovvy sacrificed himself for nothing. So that's how much Casper cares about "emshrining organic species", which is not at all.

Casper is so full of shit that any smart five year old would know that he doesn't belong in the story.

Why didnt Casper open the Citadel in 1? Why did they need Sovereign? Cause Walters will not be stopped by things like sense and continuity!

Grabbed the mass effect universe art book today, iv had a quick flick threw it, Seems at one point that the illusive man was supposed to go Saren Esq reaper hybrid also has some other interesting stuff if i find anything good ill post it, may even scan a few pages

Alchemy

Keep fighting the good fight trying to salvage a rushed, inconsistent ending!

I couldn't tell if he was actually defending the shit ending or calling me smug for having a basic understanding of the content that it actually contained and why it was bad.

This is somewhat valid point, except I, for one, was not compelled and check out other endings so this did not bother me until I watched that sad "10 Reasons We Hate Mass Effect 3's Ending" video. :) They should have had 1 ending, but it doesn't look like they spent that much more resources on creating 3 endings. :)

Cartman86

Banned
That's the part of it I actually liked.

And there's a lot of loss and bleak moments in ME3, and they're the best moments of the game.

Oh for sure. Agree 100%. The music certainly helps in those moments too. It's probably why the ending disapointed me even more. Especially with that final walk through London talking to all your buddies. I was thinking that entire time that this was it. That many of us weren't going to come back from this. Instead it was Shepard. A character I recognized as myself who died. Sadly I had no emotional connection to him as a character so even if the ficton or choices logically fit for me I don't think it would have worked anyways.

Sojgat

I did not like first Mass Effect when it came out, but now looking back (and replaying it quite a few times) it seems like BioWare put more effort in that game that in both ME2 and ME3 combined... That doesn't change the fact that ME2 is still my favorite game. It benefited from everything that was set up in the first one. ME3 fails in that regard, especially if you don't get "from ashes" DLC. There might be a lot of reasons why it happened, but the ending is not the biggest problem that this game has.

This I agree with, people are getting a little blinded by the ending when there are so many other problems with the game. The only way in which the FA DLC is "optional" as Bioware put it, is in that fact that the game is playable without it installed, in terms of the story it's critical. Without it I don't think the prothean beacon/visions are even mentioned in the main game.

Why didnt Casper open the Citadel in 1? Why did they need Sovereign? Cause Walters will not be stopped by things like sense and continuity!

Casper readily admits that mistakes were made vis-a-vis the actions of Sovereign, and that's regrettable. But while you and your colleagues want to argue history and play the blame game, Casper has a clear vision for the future. A vision that puts America back to work.

Casper 2012.

**==

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Casper readily admits that mistakes were made vis-a-vis the actions of Sovereign, and that's regrettable. But while you and your colleagues want to argue history and play the blame game, Casper has a clear vision for the future. A vision that puts America back to work.

Casper 2012.

**==

But does he believe in Jesus?

I'm more inclined to just accept the indoctrination theory as the real ending because quite frankly, it's actually deeper and more shocking than anything Bioware could have possibly planned or will come up with (hell they should run with it for the DLC).

What saddens me is I fell for the indoctrination after screaming at two different people what idiots they were for believing the lies. At first I was dedicated to destroying all synthetics, even at the cost of the Geth and EDI (although I agreed with Legion in ME2 that the Geth should find their own future, he 180s when presented with Reaper OS, how the hell is that finding your own future?), but I rationalized that sacrificing myself to assume direct control of the reapers would be the only guarantee for peace.

FISSION MAILED

Alchemy

So good.

I've just been playing ME2 again, and the rachni representative on Illium really builds up the awesomeness of being a friend of the rachni. And what do we get? A few off-screen workers. Such a disappointment.

It bugged me more (tehe) that there is a rachni queen at all if you decided to kill her. LOLREAPERSCLONEDHER is super weak, and you know the only reason this was forced in there was so they could use all the damn Reaperrachni creatures without having to worry about that choice impacting things.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm more inclined to just accept the indoctrination theory as the real ending because quite frankly, it's actually deeper and more shocking than anything Bioware could have possibly planned or will come up with (hell they should run with it for the DLC).

What saddens me is I fell for the indoctrination after screaming at two different people what idiots they were for believing the lies. At first I was dedicated to destroying all synthetics, even at the cost of the Geth and EDI (although I agreed with Legion in ME2 that the Geth should find their own future, he 180s when presented with Reaper OS, how the hell is that finding your own future?), but I rationalized that sacrificing myself to assume direct control of the reapers would be the only guarantee for peace.

FISSION MAILED

Because sometimes the reaper tech is ok or wont indoctrinate you when the plot is ok with it.

Also they did try to find their future but the quarians attack and presumably destroyed their megaserver station and a lot of programs were iradicated.

As long as you're here, you do get to see Tali's face. But it's a photoshopped stock picture that you see in a frame in your cabin. They didn't actually model her face. Pretty lame. :p
I think that is what pisses me off more than the ending (using a stock photo then photoshopping it...fuck me that's poor). I guess they ran out of time (that has to be the reason, right?). In fact I think the only new faces in the game was Javik, Kai Leng, Vega and Ashley's (though Javik was being done by another team for the DLC, supposedly!). Not sure about Kaiden. Compare that to ME2 and they really didn't do as much work on character face design etc (actually Andersons looked different, perhaps).
My other complaint is the tiny crew. If you didn't get Javik and Garrus and Tali were dead and you killed Ashley/Kaiden you were left with Vega, Liara and Edi. Similar to ME1 I guess but you should have had Wrex come back.

This I agree with, people are getting a little blinded by the ending when there are so many other problems with the game. The only way in which the FA DLC is "optional" as Bioware put it, is in that fact that the game is playable without it installed, in terms of the story it's critical. Without it I don't think the prothean beacon/visions are even mentioned in the main game.

And bringing Javik to Theassus (?) was one of the bigger revelation moments in the franchise as a whole!

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So good.

I've just been playing ME2 again, and the rachni representative on Illium really builds up the awesomeness of being a friend of the rachni. And what do we get? A few off-screen workers. Such a disappointment.
A meesly 100 pts too
I mean they were the cause if the krogan being released, which in turn started the rebellion, and the genophage..

Grabbed the mass effect universe art book today, iv had a quick flick threw it, Seems at one point that the illusive man was supposed to go Saren Esq reaper hybrid also has some other interesting stuff if i find anything good ill post it, may even scan a few pages

To add to this, it looks like Kai Leng was going to infiltrate the normandy and attack shepard in his quaters at one point (possibly during or after a love scene)

Retrofluxed

I'm just looking at this realistically. I'm sure that they will resolve this problem in Mass Effect 4 :)

If Mass Effect 4 is an actual continuation of the series. Everything Hudson has said so far has insinuated that all future Mass Effect games will fall under the 1-3 timeline. This series has no future, and that is the worst part of the endings.

Snookie

I forgot to ask this a few days ago, but how do i know if any of my squad mates survived? I was pretty maxed out on paragon, and my readiness number was well over 5000+. However the only guys that came out of the normandy were ashley and javik(because he is awesome of course). The only thing I recall is that after i shot the red choice it showed a few of them in gray screen. So it beats me.

Its possible to get max EMS just by playing the games, but you have to have played 1 and 2.

I did. I got 6800k military strength but only 50% Readiness (no multi)

Also picked Destroy ending, not gonna force the synthesize fate to people who doesn't want it. They want reapers destroyed. I destroyed it

Zomba13

I forgot to ask this a few days ago, but how do i know if any of my squad mates survived? I was pretty maxed out on paragon, and my readiness number was well over 5000+. However the only guys that came out of the normandy were ashley and javik(because he is awesome of course). The only thing I recall is that after i shot the red choice it showed a few of them in gray screen. So it beats me.

Lots of speculation.

There is no way to know that. Just assume anyone you wanted to survive, did. Somehow Liara was scooped up by Joker after Harbinger attacked and before they made a run for it in my playthrough so anything is possible.

If Mass Effect 4 is an actual continuation of the series. Everything Hudson has said so far has insinuated that all future Mass Effect games will fall under the 1-3 timeline. This series has no future, and that is the worst part of the endings.

My comment was semi sarcastic, but anything is possible. :)

Top Bottom