• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect (4): First Details & Images [Update 2: Video of Mako driving around]

Side story is some lazy ass shit. Especially if it's a side story as an N7 because N7's went to war in ME3 so the conclusion will be.

You go to war but .... don't do anything of worth cause space jesus is up on a big ass magic ship pissing around with a ghost child.

Now if it was something like a smuggler crew during the events of ME1-3 that would be neat.

A-V-B

I am hoping that the story takes place "AFTER" the ME3. A parallel tale told would be disappointing since the story will have no place to truly grow, especially since, unlike say Star Trek, ME utilized the whole of milky way.

So basically, we can have weapon holstering back,

It will take up the last 20kb of memory available in Frostbite.

Zomba13

Why in god's name would you set it during ME1-3? Nobody wants to revisit the shit they came up with for 2 and 3, this franchise needs a clean break. Either set it way before Shepherd or way after.

At least the exploration stuff sounds promising, although I will take it all with an enormous pinch of salt. Can't get fooled again.

Because they fucked the franchise with the endings of ME3 meaning they can't have something after that unless it's very far after the end and absolutely not from the "best" ending and they can't set it before ME 3 because ME1 takes place not that long after humans joining the council and all that.

GlamFM

Banned
Mako has no gun. Maybe you're a delivery boy.

Mass Effect - Space Pizza.

Final mission: gather and deliver supplies for Shepards party.

Nexas

I don't know why people are acting surprised that this game probably takes place during the original trilogy. A prequel doesn't make sense because they are not going to make a game without humans, and sequel doesn't make sense because ME3's ending fucked up the universe way too much. The ME3 universe is a pretty big place so I'm sure they could plenty of interesting stories in that time period.

Bessy67

Because they fucked the franchise with the endings of ME3 meaning they can't have something after that unless it's very far after the end and absolutely not from the "best" ending and they can't set it before ME 3 because ME1 takes place not that long after humans joining the council and all that.
Just set it in a galaxy far, far away and ignore the ending.

Valnen

Please don't make me explore barren planets with no content on them just for collectibles again like in ME1.

Bessy67

Mako has no gun. Maybe you're a delivery boy.

Mass Effect - Space Pizza.

Final mission: gather and deliver supplies for Shepards party.
I'm thinking more of a Sims type game where you're charged with raising Starchild so he isn't a genocidal little bastard.

No competitive multiplayer is a shame. It could have ended up being a much more Sci-Fi Gears of War (more then GOW is and with RPG leveling).

Mass Effect 4: Invisible War:

JC Shepard attempted to synthesize but his nanomachines weren't good enough; this caused a massive failure of the AI network cores of the interwebs, killing most AIs in the galaxy. Whatever Reapers were left were then commandeered by the remnants of Cerberus and the Alliance, who use them to control the galaxy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I doubt this game will happen during ME1-3. Maybe they meant "soon after the events of ME1-3", which might still count as Shepard's lifetime i guess.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
-"The animation team is now doing stuff we couldn't even dream about before" speaking on Frostbite 3 for #MassEffect

ie0ltljdckfgna8sdq.gif

YES IT IS FINALLY OVER

Oh god, all this news just reminds me of how fukkd ME3's ending was....and even the developers cant help it cause it wont be taking place after ME3....sigh

This panel didn't do its job of making me more hyped for the game. Now I just have more concerns than I did yesterday. What a disappointment.

Acheteedo

Mako and exploration is exactly what I wanted, great job Bioware!

During Shephard's timeline is exactly what I feared :( synthesis ending has tied their hands, damn it Bioware.

EDIT - "Seems strongly implied that new Mass Effect will be set in totally different galaxy, but will contain familiar elements. #SDCC"... hmm, well now I don't no what to think, withholding any sort of judgement seems like a sensible course of action.

MattyG

Banned
I doubt this game will happen during ME1-3. Maybe they meant "soon after the events of ME1-3, which might still count as Shepard's lifetime i guess.
Was it ever made clear if he survived in that ending with the breath at the end? Or was it never mentioned again?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Found one more twitter.

https://twitter.com/lizwrites/with_replies

-"Seems strongly implied that new Mass Effect will be set in totally different galaxy, but will contain familiar elements. #SDCC"
-"Not playing as Shepherd, and Shepherd is not important to story - new uncharted areas. #SDCC"
-"Mako is back in Mass Effect! More agile, no cannon. #SDCC"
-"New Mass Effect is focused on exploration of planets, Mako is meant to be fast travel on them. #SDCC"

A-V-B

Mako and exploration is exactly what I wanted, good job Bioware!

During Shephard's timeline is exactly what I feared :( synthesis ending has tied their hands, damn it Bioware.

Why not have it take place after the secret fourth ending, and then reveal not everyone died and you have to rebuild everything?

Ashodin

Mass Effect 4: Invisible War:

JC Shepard attempted to synthesize but his nanomachines weren't good enough; this caused a massive failure of the AI network cores of the interwebs, killing most AIs in the galaxy. Whatever Reapers were left were then commandeered by the remnants of Cerberus and the Alliance, who use them to control the galaxy.

GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE DENTON

Bessy67

Found one more twitter.

-"Seems strongly implied that new Mass Effect will be set in totally different galaxy, but will contain familiar elements. #SDCC"
-"New Mass Effect is focused on exploration of planets, Mako is meant to be fast travel on them. #SDCC"
Alright, I'm back to cautious optimism.

i-Lo

-"The animation team is now doing stuff we couldn't even dream about before" speaking on Frostbite 3 for #MassEffect

ie0ltljdckfgna8sdq.gif

YES IT IS FINALLY OVER

How big of an asshole would I be if I were to remain skeptical until I actually see what they're talking about instead of taking them at their word, given the sequel to ME2 had poor animation for certain salient actions (the pic you posted for example). I still ponder (if anyone cares to enlighten me) what the trade-offs were for.

Asbear

Banned
If it takes time during the Shepard timeline then I don't know if I really care about its story even if it's good. If that happens I'll still have that depressing feeling "well, this protagonist and his friends are still gonna be victims of whatever stupid choice Shepard gets to make at ME3 ending" not to mention that as long as we're in a timeline in which ME3 ending just happens It'll grind my gears because the ending is still so bad that it ruins the universe IMO and I don't care about any prequel to it.

I want them to change the ending first, then build upon the franchise again, but honestly I was hoping ME4 would just be one giant retcon or a reboot instead.

If they try and make a sequel to the RPG part of Mass Effect 1 I'm down, still a great idea that hasn't been executed as well as it deserves.

If it's more of what we got from 2 and 3 I'll pass.

If this means that we'll actually get to see non-bipedal species actually moving around in gameplay and not just wiggling in place, then great.

Vlodril

"It's ingrained in us to give players as much choice as possible" - @GambleMike #MassEffect

Bullshit.

Other than that the mako is a good step. I find it hard to think i will actually buy another mass effect but you never know.

Found one more twitter.

-"Not playing as Shepherd, and Shepherd is not important to story - new uncharted areas. #SDCC"

Nathan Drake confirmed as hero of Mass Effect 4: A Thief's End

If this means that we'll actually get to see non-bipedal species actually moving around in gameplay and not just wiggling in place, then great.

PLAYABLE HANAR FUCK YES

kingkitty

We could have just had an epic destroy the reapers ending.

but no

Instead we got Ghost Child and the Three Colors.

And now we might get a side story because Bioware wrote themselves into a corner? bleh

bleh to all of this.

edit: ah it's strongly implied it could be in a totally different galaxy? good

GOOD

i-Lo

Found one more twitter.

So essentially what Atlantis series was to Stargate franchise. This, I can live with.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Apparently BioWare was actually the studio to add the ability to animate quadrupeds in Frostbite for Dragon Age, so the technology is there at least.

MattyG

Banned
Found one more twitter.

Give me space combat, open world planets and interesting locations and I'll be all over this.

Only one of these will happen, maybe none of them.

Vashetti

Banned
If they must tie it into Shepard then go full-measure with it.

Canon-ise Destroy ending
Shepard's body is recovered from the rubble
Reunite with crew
Have fun!

Acheteedo

Why not have it take place after the secret fourth ending, and then reveal not everyone died and you have to rebuild everything?

If they can pick a canon ending then all is well, they'd surely pick control or destroy, either is fine. But picking a canon ending doesn't seem likely to me.

Top Bottom