• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda 90's sitcom?

I can't help but feel for Jayde Rossi because they've done nothing with her likeness other than make some kind of glassy eyed emotionless homunculus.

border

What exactly happened here? Why do all the characters have wide, dead eyes? Why does the lip syncing and facial animation look like it was ripped out of Half Life 1?

I am not a graphics whore. Beyond framerate, I don't really care what a game looks like. I can't detect the minute "downgrades" people complain about in the ME Downgrade thread. But god damn, it looks like their only criteria they have for facial animation was "Does this character's jaw flap up and down when words are being spoken?" It seems like they made no attempt to have characters emote or look even slightly authentic. How did such a big budget game wind up in the lowest trough of the Uncanny Valley?

HowZatOZ

Banned
It's 2017 and still no one has beaten L.A Noire with facial expressions. Just...how.

Also, this is a BioWare RPG. If the story and characters are horseshit the gameplay could be a generational leap and it still would be considered a bad game. RPG's kind of need good characters and dialogue to actually build the world and it's story.

Cant wait for the game to come out. Great gifs ahoy.

walk265k56.gif

Is it supposed to look like she shit her pants?

sappyday

I hope those animations, voice delivery, and dialogue aren't representative of the entire game cause holy shit that looks awful, like low budget awful.

Edit: I keep looking at it and it looks worse than Inquisition. Bioware you were supposed to try to top The Witcher 3, but you didn't even top yourselves

the game could be great.

My God I need this game. I legit threw my phone at the Seinfeld song.

man i hate when there's a noticeable quality difference between the human character and npc facial models during close-ups.

horizon does it right.

the review thread is gonna be fun lol

I.... am confused by this. Horizon had abysmal facial animations in the actual gameplay. Especially the lip syncing.

Aselith

Thanks for spoiling me by telling me that Mass Effect Andromeda exists! Was hoping to find that out on my own wew lads

My guess is that this wasn't intended to be the final script and these are placeholders. That's the only way this makes sense for a company the size of Bioware. I have seen machine translation that flows better than this.

it comes out next week
theres no time to change anything
this is it, accept it

ZangBa

All this dogging on the game had me curious so I watched that video and man, people weren't kidding. Those facials animations look so weird. The one girl who isn't Ryder looks like she's being possessed.

Majine

Banned
All I can think of when I see Bioware characters are Kang and Kodus from Simpsons trying to impersonate humans.

Pooya

real reason Casey Hudson quit, you don't want to have this shit on that otherwise shining resume.

edit: wtf is she even trying to say? I don't understand. Someone wrote those lines, someone else approved those lines, someone else said those lines, another recorded those line, no one questioned what even is this? lmao.

Yeah, I have this pre-ordered but God the game looks like it was made by Bioware's D team or something.

Character models, animations and writings in DA:I were way better than this, and I have no love lost for that game. Animations in ME:A don't even look like what you would expect from an 8th gen A2, let alone AAA game.

Isn't that a spoiler ? :/

Ah it is, I watched it before it said Spoiler Warning.. thanks..

Spoil (verb): diminish or destroy the value or quality of.

That is absolutely not what's happening here. That cutscene will still be just as awful for you the second time.

wtf is she even trying to say? I don't understand. Someone wrote those lines, someone else approved those lines, someone else said those lines, another recorded those line, no one questioned what even is this? lmao.

I think that's the problem with a lot of the dialogue. The voice actors and dialogue copy-editors don't knwo what a pathfinder is.
From the promo material, a pathfinder is just the title of the expedition leader. His only special ability is a neural link to the ship's AI.

But all the dialogue seems to treat pathfinder as if it meant "Christ" rather than "Commander".
It's in both the confused tone of the voice acting and in the dialogue itself. "Pathfinder? Wow I didn't realise you guys were real and not just invented to stop us from panicking?" is an actual line of dialogue.

-Amon-

How can this be possible ? Looks like some mobile shit.

It's freakin MASS EFFECT, how can they even think to get away with something so low quality ?

I was really expecting this game, the premise was really interesting, but this is unacceptable.

Juicy Bob

I have a friend with a chronic illness who has been really down in the dumps recently. This game is like the one main thing in life she is actually looking forward to as she's such a hardcore ME fan.

I'm going to be so gutted for her :/

I have a friend with a chronic illness who has been really down in the dumps recently. This game is like the one main thing in life she is actually looking forward to as she's such a hardcore ME fan.

I'm going to be so gutted for her :/

What is she looking forward to?

The gameplay is great one you start exploring a planet with Mako, and the combat system is superb. Given that is most of the game if she likes the RPG mechanics then she may enjoy it. I almost gave up on the game due to how comicly bad it looks at first like "Tired Face" lady but the game looks and plays great IMO once you get the mako and explore the first real planet. Its janky and has awkward cut scenes and NPC's still but core gameplay is fun if you can ignore that.

If she wants something more polished with great story and character animations I would recommend Horizon if she can play that.

Juicy Bob

What is she looking forward to?

The gameplay is great one you start exploring a planet with Mako, and the combat system is superb. Given that is most of the game if she likes the RPG mechanics then she may enjoy it. I almost gave up on the game due to how comicly bad it looks at first like "Tired Face" lady but the game looks and plays great IMO once you get the mako and explore the first real planet. Its janky and has awkward cut scenes and NPC's still but core gameplay is fun if you can ignore that.

If she wants something more polished with great story and character animations I would recommend Horizon if she can play that.
Well, that's reassuring. Thanks. I just hope the story lives up to expectations too. I think she can cope with jank if it has the 'soul' of a ME game.

Honestly I hope this game is a trainwreck so I can Redbox it and play it with a group of friends on the couch. Playing god awful games MST3K style is way more fun than playing polished but bland and unmemorable games, imo. If it turns out to be decent I'd have no real interest in it since Mass Effect isn't really my thing.

Top Bottom