• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Audioboxer

I know game has its issues with animations and character models, I have played it for 10h. I'm not denying that. GIF you posted just is facepalm worthy because it's bug that requires quite a bit timing and effort to create. Seen it going around one too many times as "Look, this is how they run normally!" shitpost so felt need to comment on it, even if that wasn't your intended message.

Fair enough, if it's near impossible to produce then I can understand why it's a bit annoying it's one of the poster GIFs.

The idea I'm seeing that EA is going to drop Bioware and Mass Effect, one of their most popular IPs, because of one game getting a 75 meta critic is kinda hilarious hyperbole.

They'll release some DLC and a sequel in a few years, after an HD trilogy rerelease.

kiguel182

I will appreciate the day when "the game is huge!!!!!" Is not seen as some badge of honor. Obviously this is not happening in the AAA space barring some crash but there are like three or four studios in the world that can make a HUGE!!!!! game that's not full of filler or is shit. Bioware clearly is not that.

Bring the budget down. Bring the focus in.

...watch it bomb lol

"IT HAS A LOT OF CONTENT" it's still a big focus of press coverage and hours played are still a metric for how good a game is. It's unfortunate that quality vs quantity is still such a big issue with AAA video-games.

Clearly more isn't always the best approach to game design. Building a big world full of interesting stuff might be good but sometimes it might not be necessary or even benefits the game.

Personally, one of the biggest Mass Effect pillars were story and choice. I don't need to run through open fields to get that and focusing on that and dropping the ball in those fields seems counter-productive to the idea of making a Mass Effect game.

I also feel like open world games that try to tell big stories like the Witcher 3 suffer because of the open world design so I think there's a lot of ways where a big open world clashes with story in current video-games.

Remember EA said they want 3 million sales on launch day
They'll need some serious luck with that when the entire trilogy only sold 12 million life time and with this sort of devastating word of mouth with bad reviews, mixed impressions from the 10 hour trial, the animation and VA gifs going viral and PewDiePie having uploaded an extremely negative impression video.

A Yoko Taro game scores higher than the big, bad BioWare RPG. Welp, only one thing comes to mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqvUz0HrNKY
Sold better in Japan than Resident Evil 7 and scores way higher than the newest entry of the West's premiere AAA RPG franchise.
What is the the world coming to ^^...

Paganmoon

John Walker wrote Rock, Paper, Shotgun's review of ME:A. He had this to say on seeing other reviews:

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/843759693524865024

ExB8BZZ.png

Does he link to reviews that actually say that? or is he paraphrasing, in which case, I'd still like to see the reviews he's paraphrasing, cause if that text are in reviews, that's pretty damned bad.

Voror

I'd probably cancel but since I got it as part the BB Visa deal and the other items have been fulfilled I don't think that's something I can do. At least I got Horizon out of it though.

ItIsOkBro

Idk man, i enjoyed my time with the game. Why listen to reviewers who bring their own opinion into their final scoring? Make yourself your own opinion
this is an 80 dollar game that will demand dozens of hours of my time at a point in history where there are several great games to play. i really can't waste time and money just to formulate my own opinion.

Maledict

Reading some of the reviews, it looks like it's being scored where it is because it stayed the same and didn't get better.

Are you sure you're talking about the games and not the fandom that grew around them?

The writing has never been the strong point.

I'm sorry but no. This is ridiculous post-trilogy rewriting to justify a poor game.

The original series has some of biowares best character writing - full stop. I've been playing their games since the dawn of time, and Mordin / Thane : Legion : Garrus : Liara compare favourably to any characters they've created. Samaras romance in Me2 is probably the best romance storyline they've ever done. Yes, the original trilogy had flaws and moments of poor writing, but none of it ever approached what we are seeing now in reviews and videos.

Reviewers are not critiscing it because it failed to improve. Its being critiqued for the opposite - it doesn't match its predecessors in the ways that are important. Characters, writing, narrative.

Vire

Does he link to reviews that actually say that? or is he paraphrasing, in which case, I'd still like to see the reviews he's paraphrasing, cause if that text are in reviews, that's pretty damned bad.
Mostly all the higher scores still say "this should have been better"

AEdouard

Low 70s, here we come? Curious to read some of these when I have more time

Apart from environmental graphics, which look pretty great, the rest is just meh to bad: mission structure, dialogue, animation, general technical quality, combat, UI...

Nevermind what gaming websites say, there's something wrong with the scales used to rate games. A clearly subpar game shouldn't get a 75 (as it does now) average. A 75 movie or tv show can be pretty great, videogame review numbers are too high generally.

yeah so i don't get it, how can this game have a lot of technical jank and performance issues after five fucking years of dev time and using an amazingly solid engine like Frostbite?

did they secretly oursource to Bethesda?

Cromat

That RockPaperShotgun review, wow.

Anyway I had very low expectations and sadly they appear to have been justified. I might get the game when it's under $20.

We live in a post-Witcher 3 world where expectations of what an RPG can be have shifted, sadly for Bioware. They can still make a great game, but they will have to focus and take their time.

Gonna hold off on this one for a bit, there's too many other great games out that I need to play first. Looking forward to picking it up down the road, I hope it enjoy it.

Lime

In hindsight did the troubled marketing campaign probably only reflect the troubled game development

Back then I just thought that Bioware's or EA's marketing was simply incompetent, but it turned out that they simply had a product that wasn't ready to be marketed. Which also explains why terrible animation bugs show up in high profile trailers, because the game is literally filled with them.

Audioboxer

Read this a few times but I still can't quite get what he's getting at?

Of course, people will refer to/remember back on the first 3 games. This is still Mass Effect? Fans wanted more of the same and/or some improvements on the first 3. At the very least though, more of the same.

Jumeira

Banned
The main problem is a lot prominent people have left EA from Bioware or working on some new IP.

Thats when i started to get nervous, when Casey Hudson left BioWare. The father of the franchise. I thank EA for funding the next game, but the concept of path finder didnt sit right withme from the beginning, didnt seem like the next step in the universe that would grab me, but i told myself lets see this through, then i saw media where very little was new, then came the awful acting and dialogue (Ryder is like some TV host narrating the obvious), another Turian, another Krogan, another Asari, another Salarian - the only new element was the bad guy who look similar to the Protheans, nothing looks original, that creative talent i had so much faith in seemed to have been lost. The team EA assigned have failed horribly, its clear they're unable to deliver on what made the previous games so great.

I can live with jank.

The most disappointing aspect here is the lack of new alien races. That's what made ME1 interesting. Seeing multiple alien cultures and how they co-exist together, despite extreme differences.

So many great games out right now and I'm so broke so as sad as it is, I can't justify picking up a game that has a 75 when there's so many amazing games out 😔😔😔😔😔😔

I'd have the feeling for awhile now but it feels more like this could be the tipping point for the cycle of what happens to a developer when EA takes over. Assuming it didn't already take place when Bioware lost its founders in 2012.

With a development time of 5 years it´s hard to see how this could be EA´s fault.

I was actually wondering how that time was actually spent. To me it feels like it was just a couple years back they showed the game first, and it seemed to be in very early stage of development back then. Sure it's been 5 years since ME3, but it doesn't feel like Andromeda has been in full development for more than 3 years. Weren't they doing surveys of what people wanted to see in the game not that long ago?

Remember when the RPS preview thread was posted and people called it clickbait and were trying to discredit John's criticism by referring to his opinion on an urelated game? Where are those people now that we know that he was 100% right?

I've been hoping for that day for half a decade. Meanwhile, Bloodborne is still kind of lonely on this gen's throne of best level design. Ironically, it's handholding-less structure gave me more sense of freedom than the majority of open worlds, which mostly feel like oversized hub worlds for secretly super linear games. I can also appreciate Resident Evil for making its overhaul not open world buzzwords.
If you're into level design, you should play Dishonored 2 or Hitman. Both, in my opinion, give Bloodborne a run for its money (especially Dishonored).

LegoArmo

I'm sorry but no. This is ridiculous post-trilogy rewriting to justify a poor game.

The original series has some of biowares best character writing - full stop. I've been playing their games since the dawn of time, and Mordin / Thane : Legion : Garrus : Liara compare favourably to any characters they've created. Samaras romance in Me2 is probably the best romance storyline they've ever done. Yes, the original trilogy had flaws and moments of poor writing, but none of it ever approached what we are seeing now in reviews and videos.

Reviewers are critisicing it because it failed to improve. Its being critiaxed for the opposite - it doesn't match its predecessors in the ways that are important. Characters, writing, narrative.

Exactly, people are saying "if you are a fan of the series, you could still enjoy this game"... Not for me, I don't think so.

I'm a fan of the series because of the story, the characters, the writing, the atmosphere, the music and the voice acting. The combat has always been "decent enough".

Without all of that, the game is more of an insult to the fans than anyone else.

Of course, people will refer to/remember back on the first 3 games. This is still Mass Effect? Fans wanted more of the same and/or some improvements on the first 3. At the very least though, more of the same.

He's saying their love for the previous games is boosting their review scores on Andromeda.

I'm a bit surprised but I appreciate the honesty in some of these reviews. Reviews aren't the end all be all but it help people like me that can't justify dropping $60 for every game that look interesting. Gaming can easily turn into an expensive hobby and since I'm fully digital on my PS4 I usually wait a day before a game is released to pre order based on reviews.

I was on the fence but now I think I will wait. I hope people that pick up the game really enjoy it.

ironcreed

Banned
So this years hottest ~7.5/10

I'll take it. Need ME back in my blood.

I do as well. I have already acknowledged that it is going to be an unfinished mess in places, but I have still seen enough 'Mass Effect' there that I feel like I am going to get some enjoyment out of it. Not to mention how improved the combat looks. I just have to play it.

Pixieking

Banned

Of course, people will refer to/remember back on the first 3 games. This is still Mass Effect?

He's saying that nostalgia for the old games is playing a big part in the review scores, and if you read the reviews themselves they don't tally with the score given. Also, they're reviewing the game they wish they had, not the game they do have.

Thats when i started to get nervous, when Casey Hudson left BioWare. The father of the franchise. I thank EA for funding the next game, but the concept of path finder didnt sit right withme from the beginning, didnt seem like the next step in the universe that would grab me, but i told myself lets see this through, then i saw media where very little was new, then came the awful acting and dialogue (Ryder is like some TV host narrating the obvious), another Turian, another Krogan, another Asari, another Salarian - the only new element was the bad guy who look similar to the Protheans, nothing looks original, that creative talent i had so much faith seemed to have been lost. The team EA assigned have failed horribly, its clear they're unable to deliver on what made the previous games so great.

well now i'm really depressed.

After watching and reading the GameSpot review I can promise you that the hardcore Mass Effect fanbase would never treat this game as cannon.

As a fan this is just depressing. Even If they completely fixed the technical issues and facial aniamtion, the writing and the characters are just not compelling enough.

I was going to buy this for the combat and multiplayer, but now I am not sure If it's worth it anymore. The crafting system literally requires you to grind.

Zaventem

Hard to believe that "fans" of the franchise will not play this game for the scores, real fans heh

You can be a fan of a series and acknowledge when things go wrong, many of us here have all of the first 3 games. This year was packed to the brim with a ton of quality heavy hitters at the start of the year that it had to match up too.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Hard to believe that "fans" of the franchise will not play this game for the scores, real fans heh
That's like saying railroad or train fans would jump onto an ongoing train wreck.

You can be a fan and acknowledge something went horribly bad and not want to take part in it.

Audioboxer

He's saying their love for the previous games is boosting their review scores on Andromeda.

He's saying that nostalgia for the old games is playing a big part in the review scores, and if you read the reviews themselves they don't tally with the score given. Also, they're reviewing the game they wish they had, not the game they do have.

Ah okay I get it now. I thought he was bashing people for having nostalgia (which can be criticisable sometimes), but it's more nostalgia might actually be inflating some scores. Yelp.

Anth0ny

I will appreciate the day when "the game is huge!!!!!" Is not seen as some badge of honor. Obviously this is not happening in the AAA space barring some crash but there are like three or four studios in the world that can make a HUGE!!!!! game that's not full of filler or is shit. Bioware clearly is not that.

Bring the budget down. Bring the focus in.

...watch it bomb lol

Agreed. Maybe someday...

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Guess if that's the fan mentality I guess I never want to be a fan of anything and stick to enjoying the stuff I enjoy and making purchases with a critical eye.
And can't say I've been disappointed this year(and for years in general) so far every purchase I made was a true blast compared to back when I would blindly trust in studios and brands.

An expected outcome, game was looking like a mess.

I'll probably get in an 2-4 years from now when the GOTY version is on sale for £10.

I wonder how it will sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom