• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meowster

Honestly about what I expected (or better than what I was expecting considering how much some publications were saying they hated it). I'm still willing to give the game a shot.

TBiddy

Fuck the glitches. Those can be fixed. But bad writing? That's not good. I really wanted this to be good. But who am I kidding. I'm going to play it anyway

raw

But, I will say this, EA really went out on a limb with this game and the TEN HOUR trial this past weekend and that really takes some guts. It really showed (most of) us that the game is not good, but hey they let us try it early. I know that betas are a thing and this felt like a beta but supposedly it's the full game. It's impressive they believed in the game that much.

Now if only it were actually good...

giphy.gif

QUICK

SOMEONE EDIT THE HANDS FROM THE TOP GIF INTO THE 2ND GIF AND IT'LL BE LIKE THE EXACT SAME GIF, THE FACE LOOK THE SAME

pahamrick

Half praise the story, half condemn it. Not a lot of consensus on this game.

When it comes to enjoyment of writing and story, its highly subjective. What's terrible / mediocre for some is OK / decent to others.
Not surprised at the scores I'm seeing.

Despite the scores, the text in the gamespot and destructoid reviews make me feel okay with purchasing this on release. Pretty excited to sink my teeth into this.

Takao

Banned
Venture Beat: 55/100

Games have to fit into our lives, and that’s not always fair. Mass Effect: Andromeda might’ve worked a decade ago on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but it doesn’t work in a world that is delivering games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In this reality, BioWare’s latest role-playing game is old, broken, and often boring.

Worst of all, it’s going to disappoint fans of the Mass Effect series.

Mass Effect? More like Mass Defects amirite.

That's... not a good showing at all. Especially now with so many games coming out that are scoring higher, it's not really looking good for Andromeda.

Ulong

Imagine living living in a fantasy world where you believe game reviewers will take bribes to up the score of the game, and then still give it a mediocre review, because of the bribes.

TI82

Banned
This quote from the GS review is the most damning IMO

That would be its tedious missions. Far too many open world quests--even some that feel important or come packaged in an interesting premise--devolve into multistep "go here, hit a button" errands. There's always another navpoint somewhere across the map or an NPC who needs exactly three items or a crucial datapad that's unexpectedly missing when you arrive. I frequently felt like an intergalactic errand boy, mindlessly scanning everything in sight so my omniscience AI partner could do whatever the situation required and give me a new waypoint to reach.

in particular:

I frequently felt like an intergalactic errand boy, mindlessly scanning everything in sight

THIS is what I was talking about in the trial thread, and was told it wouldn't happen in the main game it's only a few quests etc. It's an issue. The sidequest designs in this game is very uninspired to say the least.

Grassy

Well someone likes it at least...

Stevivor.com - 9.5
Andromeda is superb, easily jettisoning Ryder and crew ahead of Commander Shepard and his team. It’s clear BioWare has learned lessons with the original Mass Effect trilogy, offering something even better and far more cohesive with this new series. Its only misstep is a slow, labouring tutorial that lasts the better part of five hours; though, after 60 more, it seems like nothing more than a distant memory. Offering deep, engaging characters, a new lore for a new galaxy (but enough interconnected so franchise fans don’t feel left out) and a stellar storyline, gamers of any background will find something to do in the far off reaches of the universe.

ironcreed

Banned
For many the issue is. nothing magically changes later. It just continues on at that level or higher through the entire game. Coupled with extraordinary bad writing...uhg. But each to their own man. If folks love it awesome.

I hear you. If it is indeed that bad then that is a pretty big blow for an RPG such as Mass Effect. I am just going to dive in and see what can be salvaged from the wreckage and hope I enjoy some of it. As I surely have seen some great footage.

Milennia

im a sucker for this series and have been waiting far too long for this, considering that im reading half and half regarding story opinions ill prob like it

Welp, in comparison to the original trilogy, it's not reviewing particularly favourably is it. Something obviously went wrong during the development process.

On the bright side, 2017 had to cool off a little with the onslaught of great games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom