• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect Franchise bitching thread

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hale and Meer do a great job, Hale more so but Meer is by no means bad. You people are on crack. Maybe its not the most impassioned performances, but theyre still a cut above most other VA out there. FemShep is amazing, especially as a renegade.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hale does an incredible job with Femshep in my opinion.

Hale and Meer do a great job, Hale more so but Meer is by no means bad. You people are on crack. Maybe its not the most impassioned performances, but theyre still a cut above most other VA out there. FemShep is amazing, especially as a renegade.

Noooo I'm sorry man but I have to disagree. I like Femshep for the most part, but Meer is just reading back his lines, nothing else.

The male voice actor is so, so bad. Going through the 2nd one again as a dude is almost painful.

In your opinion. I find Hale to be frequently unconvincing as Renegade, although I enjoy both VAs as Paragon. Meer does a fine job, and in my opinion Hale is quite overrated (when people say that they can't stand Meer or that Hale was 100x better I just roll my eyes).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The first time I found out that you could kill people in Mass Effect... comedy gold.

Mass Effect? more like Mass Genocide, amirite?

I've killed plenty of people in Mass Effect but I didn't feel bad about my choices until I accidentally ran over a few of those space monkeys.

dr_rus

Why haven't they gotten better facial animation yet? I can watch a No More Heroes clip and see those characters emote better than Space Jesus and Beefnuts McMuscleSlab
Facial animation was fine in ME1 but then for some reason it went down the shitter in ME2.

Sotha Sil

The first time I found out that you could kill people in Mass Effect... comedy gold.

Mass Effect? more like Mass Genocide, amirite?

Playing a calm and collected Paragon Shepard and always picking the execution options when you get the chance is an interesting experience. Nice, cold-blood murderer Shepard is much more frightening than the Renegade alternative.

As for the VAs, I've played both the French and the English versions of the game, and I think I actually prefer French FemShep, which is a pretty rare occurence (French dubs are usually mediocre-to-horrendous). Maybe kurtofan will agree. Hale's performance is great, though.

Wiggum2007

Wow, that's interesting. I think she brings a lot to the role, she delivers even the corniest of lines with genuine conviction. ME just wouldn't be the same without her, if Meer Shep was the only choice I wouldn't like it nearly as much.

Hale does an incredible job with Femshep in my opinion.

I have to agree, Hale is very monotone in my opinion. Sounds like she's pissed off or in a grumpy mood almost 90% of the time.

I much prefer Hale's VA but something changed with the direction they took with her voice acting between ME1 and ME2. In ME2 she's always talking with this sorta strained, tired sounding voice. Like Project Lazarus gave her a permanent migraine or something. Her ME1 voice was a lot more upbeat and energetic sounding. It's really obvious when you switch back and forth between the two games.

CrazyDude

I much prefer Hale's VA but something changed with the direction they took with her voice acting between ME1 and ME2. In ME2 she's always talking with this sorta strained, tired sounding voice. Like Project Lazarus gave her a permanent migraine or something. Her ME1 voice was a lot more upbeat and energetic sounding. It's really obvious when you switch back and forth between the two games.

I only played femshep in me2, so it might be true.

I have to agree, Hale is very monotone in my opinion. Sounds like she's pissed off or in a grumpy mood almost 90% of the time.

Yup, this is probably the biggest problem I had with her.

Facial animation was fine in ME1 but then for some reason it went down the shitter in ME2.

It's a lot more flat in ME1, there is not really any big personalities in the game. ME2 has a lot of emotional characters and they try to put a lot more into it. So the vacant facial expressions stand out a lot more. My theory at least.

Samara

As for the VAs, I've played both the French and the English versions of the game, and I think I actually prefer French FemShep, which is a pretty rare occurence (French dubs are usually mediocre-to-horrendous). Maybe kurtofan will agree. Hale's performance is great, though.

I don't care what they say: The french VO is fucking good. MaleShep and FemShep are amazing at what they do. I just hated Ashley/Jacob VO, now that was weird. Not to mention the occasionnal outburst of the opposite sex audio screwup. Now that was shit.

It's a lot more flat in ME1, there is not really any big personalities in the game. ME2 has a lot of emotional characters and they try to put a lot more into it. So the vacant facial expressions stand out a lot more. My theory at least.

Watching the new trailer is hard for me because the characters do not display any emotion and it is jarring to see that in a modern game.

Sotha Sil

I don't care what they say: The french VO is fucking good. MaleShep and FemShep are amazing at what they do. I just hated Ashley/Jacob VO, now that was weird. Not to mention the occasionnal outburst of the opposite sex audio screwup. Now that was shit.

I know, right? Forgot to say that MaleShep is indeed far, far better in French. As I said, a pretty rare, but notable example of a superior French version.

Zen

Banned
It was more that Kaiden was a character people were completely neutral on while they actively disliked Ashley.

For some reason I wasn't convinced that Wrex would shoot me, so when Ashley came up behind him and shot him I was furious (I even had the blue option but felt that the white reason text was more in line with what I'd say). All the same, it wasn't that she did it, it's that she shot him completely with no expression, like you might shoot a thing, not a person, and then proceeded to pump rounds into him to make sure he was dead. There's protecting your CO and then there's crossing the line or cold blooded murder. Even if my judgement was off, she was completely out of line with doing anything after disabling Wrex.

I gave her a heroes death, and am stuck with fucking Kaiden Alenko now.

That last sentence wasn't meant literally... Maybe Kaiden will be more interesting in ME3, I guess he and Ashley will mimicked each others lines for the most part.

I vote EatChildren as the mod that represents my views, and the will of the people like me.

Re-elect EatChildren! Mod of the me!

I think ME has bad writing, but no worse than most of the other tripe people like.

dr_rus

Nah, it's like the facial animation system itself somehow got simplier between ME1 and ME2. When I was playing ME2 and met Jakob for the first time I at first was like - what the fuck? Why is his face moving like it's KoTOR again and not a sequel to one of the icons of new generation? I dunno, maybe they've tried to simulate all the little facial movements with that procedural "wobble" that you can see on almost all characters of ME2 instead of hand tuning it as they did in ME1? In the end it turned out worse to my tastes than in was in ME1.

Kurtofan

It's been a while since I checked this thread, but I completely agree on French Maleshep, Boris Rehlinger is really good.
In general I'd say the French version is pretty great, even though there's a few screw ups and weird acting(Jacob's French voice is weird, seems like the actor tried to hard to make him sound like a gritty action movie character).

Top Bottom