• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect or Starfield. It most be done.

Mass Effect or Starfield

• Mass Effect

Votes: 353 87.2%
  • Starfield

Votes: 52 12.8%

• Total voters

Harold Lloyd

Neo Member
Mass Effect is one of the GOATS of RPGs but if I had to choose one to play today then it would have to be Starfield - I'm having a blast 30+ hours in and only scratched the main storyline.

GymWolf

Not really comparable, but if I'd really have to choose it would be base on how much I enjoyed playing, so then it would be Andromeda > ME3 > Starfield > ME2 > ME1
a00d767c2f490370480fee64d8f7a334_w200.gif

Westcliff

Neo Member
I really like Starfield. The exploration-aspect of the game is great and I can spend hours with it. But when it comes to worldbuilding, story and characters, Mass Effect still excels in every way possible.

Bkdk

As bad as starfield is, I would still pick starfield. Mass effect 3's ending really messes up the game big time since your choice don't really matter at all in the end and that completely breaks the whole series for me. Rather have a psuedo open world like starfield for me to mess around. Not to mention mods would be the huge focus for starfield in the future so starfield would be a game that would only get better from now. Mass effect never have a strong mod support either.

BigLee74

Hilarious poll. Why make it when there isn't one thing SF does better than ME?

If you can’t think of one thing Starfield doesn’t do better then Mass Effect, then you haven’t played Starfield - it is superior in many areas (and in fact has many areas that Mass Effect doesn’t even have).

Not dissing Mass Effect, one of the best trilogies ever - although part 1 is the only one that I still find truly enjoyable to replay (still wows me now like it did back then).

nemiroff

Gold Member
As a whole, Starfield by far, and I'm a ME fan.

I like the premise/story of ME a lot more though - Except that fucking ending..

Last edited:
On a desert island I'd pick Starfield over any single Mass Effect game. But as far as a series and it's first game's impact, Mass Effect smokes Starfield for me in that regard. I remember being very impressed with Mass Effect, all of it came together very well and there weren't really games like it.

Starfield I've put about 12 hours into and I liked it, but I've also decided to just wait and see what the mods coming will do.. It just doesn't hit me with that urge to play like it does for others. I do look forward to playing it again in the future as a proper Space Scoundrel. It has the bones of something great I think.

Ansphn

Haven't played Starfield cause I never liked any Bethesda game except Fallout 3. Skyrim bored me out 10 hours in.

I believe Mass effect 1 and 2 are some of the great games ever created.

RAIDEN1

What would have been a better comparison would be No Mans Sky vs Starfield.....Mass Effect wipes the floor with Starfield....for all intents and purposes Mass Effect is like the modern day Babylon 5....and that alone elevates it above all the other sci-fi series out there...(but Guardians of the Galaxy does come close..)

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Mass Effect: Andromeda is a masterpiece, state-of-the-art in comparison to Starfield. Actually after the last update (still some bugs) I rate it as 9/10. The gameplay is insanely satisfying. One of the best games of last gen (only bought it 2 years after release, so after the last update).

Starfield is just Fallout on estrogen.

Last edited:

Cashon

Banned
This seems to be the go to defence to defend starfield.

When it's a bad game, that was hyped to the moon. And the only people defending it at are you Xbox warriors.
I'm not defending it. I haven't even really played it (played about 30 minutes during launch week, but am putting it off for now).

There are a lot of bad games out there; few are those that get this much hate, especially for a game with a Metacritic score of 86/84 (PC/Xbox respectively).

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
I'm not defending it. I haven't even really played it (played about 30 minutes during launch week, but am putting it off for now).

There are a lot of bad games out there; few are those that get this much hate, especially for a game with a Metacritic score of 86/84 (PC/Xbox respectively).
Did those bad games receive the same hype proportional to Starfield?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Are those who are hating on it the same who were hyping it? Or is it the same people who were hating on it prior to release/reviews?
The point is you're complaining about some "hate" and I'm telling you that's what happens when a game does not achieve what the pre-hype claimed it would. And it goes far beyond Xbox fans/zealots.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I love Starfield, but Mass Effect did a better job of a cohesive story, theme, atmosphere, music and just about everything except exploration. It was just a better packaged experience. That doesn't make Starfield bad at all, it's goals were just too broad and difficult to connect and be cohesive like Mass Effect's were.

MirageMew2

OG Mass Effect feels a lot like what Starfield attempted to be, and fell flat at. There are some real subtle hallmarks that callback to classic RPG tropes in Starfield that I remember a ton of in Mass Effect that I think Starfield would’ve benefited from embracing fully.

Roberts

I don't know why I am doing this because even though there are very clear similarities, both games are kind of different. I don't have a clear winner here but if we pick apart both games, then:

Characters: Mass Effect wins. I actually like Starfield characters, but it will be hard to find games that have such fascinating characters as Wrex, Garrus, Mordin etc.
Story: Again, Mass Effect. Some of the best storytelling ever in a game.
Side Quests: More or less a tie. Three of four Starfield's faction quests are amazing.
Shooting: Starfield wins. Just more fun.
Exploration (cities, planetary exploration, settlements, scanning etc): Starfield wins.

Starfield also has amazing space combat and other goodies like base and ship building. Yeah, I love them both and that is what matters.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Hmmm, Mass Effect wins on space powers.

Mass Effect also wins on story, character models, artstyle.

Also Mass Effect has better romance quests...I dunno what the hell Starfield is doing in that category.

Starfield wins on graphics (as it should), gunplay, freedom of exploration. I like the perk system better in Starfield as well, just more stuff to upgrade and build into. Mass Effect is basically...well space powers and weapon stuff.

All this said and I somehow feel like it's not a good comparison. It's like the aim of each game was wildly different even though they are both space RPGs.

So I dunno, both good games, I'd have to give the edge to Starfield though only because I'm considering this when Starfield is one game, to Mass Effect's 4 games.

Last edited:
mass effect is unforgettable. starfield, for as well-built as it might be, & for all it does right, simply is not. it's a game without a personality, & there's just nothing whatsoever genuinely distinctive about it...

Okay.. so why are you assuming people are going to town on it just because it's an exclusive?

It's getting the hate because the game has been sold by Phil, todd, the shills and Xbox fans desperate for a win as the best thing since Zelda oot.

When what we got was a game stuck in 2009 that runs like shit.

Top Bottom