• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
dejay said:
If you're going to look at someone's face and arse for 20 + hours it just makes sense.

Bingo. You are looking at her ass a helluva lot.

Also, I thought about it and Starbuck is about 1000x cooler than Apollo (in the new BSG) so for me, sci-fi space operas are all about a strong female lead.

Dina

chespace said:
Also, I thought about it and Starbuck is about 1000x cooler than Apollo (in the new BSG) so for me, sci-fi space operas are all about a strong female lead.

Starbuck looks like she's on crack rehab 75% of the time.

dejay

Banned
I got confused for a number of seconds because I thought we were talking about Starbuck from the original BSG.

71zrb6c.jpg

He's almost as pretty as Katee Sackhoff!

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Dina said:
Starbuck looks like she's on crack rehab 75% of the time.

I gotta go hang out at the halfway house over in your 'hood if all the crack rehab womenz look like the Sackhoff.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
chespace said:
Damn, watching that escaping ship video was a tiny bit of a spoiler since I don't think I've gotten there yet. :lol

But yeah, this game fucking rocks.

Thanks for the heads up.

*deletes of download queue*

LukeSmith

About three hours in right now. It's very much a BioWare game, meaning if you liked those games, you're going to really like Mass Effect. I love how wordy the game is so far, so many conversations and elements to explore and learn about, the early part of the game (I'm 3 hours in) is extremely chatty if you want to explore it, but you can also probably power through it. It's an excellent change of pace from the twitch gaming that's been occupying a lot of my time lately (COD4, Haloz).

Made a Female Adept.

temp

posting on contract only
LukeSmith said:
About three hours in right now. It's very much a BioWare game, meaning if you liked those games, you're going to really like Mass Effect. I love how wordy the game is so far, so many conversations and elements to explore and learn about, the early part of the game (I'm 3 hours in) is extremely chatty if you want to explore it, but you can also probably power through it. It's an excellent change of pace from the twitch gaming that's been occupying a lot of my time lately (COD4, Haloz).

Made a Female Adept.
Woo, chatty. Haven't been reading about or watching a lot of the game, so I'm glad they didn't skimp out on the talking.

LukeSmith said:

Made a Female Adept.

How'd you score a copy without sharecropping on the Redmond plantation?

Tieno

temp said:
Woo, chatty. Haven't been reading about or watching a lot of the game, so I'm glad they didn't skimp out on the talking.
They have to pay for 2.5million words that need to be translated. So it's pretty wordy.

JayDubya

Banned
chespace said:

Nein! Apollo > Starbuck. ;P

Male Soldier for me. But I've never been fond of the default look for Shepard. I don't think I'll try and make him look like anyone in particular, so I'll probably just mess around with the options until I'm happy with the result.

Not like I've never made a female POV character or won't eventually get around to doing so in Mass Effect just to see the way it changes the story or the other romance options.

PARANO1A

JayDubya said:
Nein! Apollo > Starbuck. ;P

Male Soldier for me. But I've never been fond of the default look for Shepard. I don't think I'll try and make him look like anyone in particular, so I'll probably just mess around with the options until I'm happy with the result.

Not like I've never made a female POV character or won't eventually get around to doing so in Mass Effect just to see the way it changes the story or the other romance options.
But... lesbians!

Aaron

Scribble said:
I want my Shephard to look like a Koei Cao Cao/Nobunaga type.
Ah, excellent choice. One of my all time favorite character designs.

I'll likely go for a rasta if possible or at least something along those lines. I played Jade Empire as a female character, and not in any rush to do that again.

JayDubya

Banned
PARANO1A said:
But... lesbians!

Yeah, I'll get around to doing that eventually. But I have to assume that you've gotta make a choice between romancible teammates like in BG2 or Jade Empire or like KotOR2 was supposed to have. And I imagine the romance with the blue alien "girl" is not drastically different whether your character is male of female - maybe a few lines of dialogue will be different.

I also do want to know what the Kaidan romance is like. Of course, my wife usually plays through these games, too, so I got to watch her go through the Carth Onassi romance in KotOR and I have to say, it was well written.

I hope I can say the same thing about KotOR2 when all is said and done.

FFChris

LukeSmith said:

Made a Female Adept.

That's good to hear, I've been playing too many shooters myself lately. Need something a bit more relaxing, I'm sure this will be the antidote.

I'll probably be making an Adept/Tech, not sure what those are called.

JayDubya

Banned
FFChris said:
That's good to hear, I've been playing too many shooters myself lately. Need something a bit more relaxing, I'm sure this will be the antidote.

I'll probably be making an Adept/Tech, not sure what those are called.

"Squishies."

More accurately, Sentinels. But seriously, no armor and no weapon skills whatsoever. Squishies. In D&D terms, if we're talking 2nd Edition, they're Cleric / Wizards like Aerie in BG2; if we're talking 3rd edition, they're like a Healer / Wizard / Mystic Theurge.

Basic tip: I'm thinking you're going to want to keep Wrex in your party most of the time, kind of like a Jedi Consular did with Zaalbar in KotOR (and to a lesser extent, Hanharr in KotOR2).

Also, I'm hoping someone can tell me what character class Ashley, Kaiden, Garrus, Liara, Tali, and Wrex are.

Or if they even have classes.

Ashley may just be a Soldier, and someone said she specializes in sniper rifles.
Kaiden is apparently a Biotic power user, but he wears armor, so I'm guessing Adept, maybe Vanguard.
Garrus is apparently a thick armor user (toilet bowl jokes and all) but also has engineer skills... Infiltrator?
Liara I'm thinking is a Sentinel based on her dialogues.
Tali - I'm guessing Engineer.
Wrex - Big Damn Tank.

FFChris

JayDubya said:
"Squishies."

More accurately, Sentinels. But seriously, no armor and no weapon skills whatsoever. Squishies. In D&D terms, if we're talking 2nd Edition, they're Cleric / Wizards like Aerie in BG2; if we're talking 3rd edition, they're like a Healer / Wizard / Mystic Theurge.

Reminds me of when I played through Balders Gate for the first time as a pure mage. Got to the last boss, in that tavern and had about 13 hp in total. Needless to say, I couldn't complete the game!

Having said that, I don't suppose choosing a "squishy" will give me a lot of time to [Relax]. But I'll definately be spending a lot of my time in that room.

Krowley

I've been catching up on the news with this game, and it seems that it is smaller scale than I expected..

There was one point were I was thinking this would be BG2 sized, which was probably ridiculous, although that's the impression I got watching the developers talk about it during E3. I was under the impression that more planets were going to be usable environments.

It's still sounding very cool. Kinda like star-trek the RPG. Hopefully you cut yourself off with some of your choices. If there's enough branching, that would make the replay factor insane. I'll probably be grabbing this when I pick up a 360 (probably sometime before christmas)

Lebron

Never thought I be able to say this with a straight face, but I can't wait to watch Gamehead tonight. The whole show is dedicated to just Mass Effect?

FrankT

Lebron said:
Never thought I be able to say this with a straight face, but I can't wait to watch Gamehead tonight. The whole show is dedicated to Mass Effect, right?

What time is that on?

Tieno

Lebron said:
Never thought I be able to say this with a straight face, but I can't wait to watch Gamehead tonight. The whole show is dedicated to just Mass Effect?
What I've seen of Gamehead on gametrailers, most of the time is spent on talking about what's to come, then they put in a few 30 second reviews and you might end up with a couple of minutes on the actual main subject, but it's all pretty fluffy. It's horrible.

Here's Chris Priestly's post about the Gamehead thing tonight.
Chris Priestly said:
Announcement: Mass Effect on Gamehead TONIGHT!

Watch Game Head get clinical with Mass Effect tonight at 11 pm (BioWare time). Game Head travels to Edmonton Canada to check in with Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk, the two Doctors who founded BioWare. Known for hit Role Playing Games like Jade Empire and Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Ray, Greg and the BioWare team talk about how Mass Effect is set to change the RPG genre.

PLUS: The world exclusive premiere of the Mass Effect launch trailer!

Who is Commander Shepard and what's his mission? What kinds of twists and turns are we in store for? Why is this game perfect for fans of action titles like Gears of War? How will your decisions affect the story, and even how you play the sequel? And what are their plans for the trilogy? Game Head talks to the team behind Mass Effect to give you an exclusive new look at the game.

It's all Friday night at 11 pm - Only on Spike and then watch it again on GameTrailers.com and Xbox Live Marketplace.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Tieno said:
What I've seen of Gamehead on gametrailers, most of the time is spent on talking about what's to come, then they put in a few 30 second reviews and you might end up with a couple of minutes on the actual main subject, but it's all pretty fluffy. It's horrible.

But we're talking about Mass Effect here, so watch it anyway.

Lebron

Tieno said:
So I've heard, but I'm Mass Effect desperate right now. So I'll take whatever I can get:lol

Also, the new trailer should be hotness

temp

posting on contract only
Lebron said:
You changed it from "The whole show is dedicated to Mass Effect, right?" to "The whole show is dedicated to just Mass Effect?"?

I dunno - didn't we see this all before with the Halo-3-early-on-Newegg debacle? That's awesome if you can actually get it, but I'm pretty skeptical.

Costanza

Banned
Cornballer said:
I dunno - didn't we see this all before with the Halo-3-early-on-Newegg debacle? That's awesome if you can actually get it, but I'm pretty skeptical.
Eh, even if they don't break street date I'll still get it on release date and I'll just bitch at them to get my shipping costs refunded.

Order status says:
Will arrive between Tuesday, 11/13/07, and Wednesday, 11/14/07

CMON WALMART DON'T LET ME DOWN

TDG

Banned
Man, I cannot wait for this. I loved KOTOR.

I just read the OXM review... "Greatest story in a game. Ever."

I guess ill pick a female my first time through as i play a good character. Playing as an asshole in the game just wouldnt feel right if i wasnt a dude.

Remember what happened to those guys who ordered halo 3 from newegg when it said it was instock?

They will just instruct fedex to not deliver until the 20th.

Eric WK

Subarushian said:
Remember what happened to those guys who ordered halo 3 from newegg when it said it was instock?

They will just instruct fedex to not deliver until the 20th.

Well I'm sure in this scenario they aren't going to receive five hundred calls from teenagers asking if they're really shipping it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Like that other guy said, though.

If they send it on the 20th, just bitch about shipping and shit, and play AC and SMG while you wait.

No matter what, we win.

Top Bottom