• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

Edvardelis said:
Were you aware of the Mako penalty? You only 25% of the actual XP if you kill something in the Mako. Especially for things like Thresher Maws you should ding them for 98% of their health then get out and take the last shot on foot.

Bring Down the Sky is also a huge chunk of XP.

I can easily hit level 56 in a single play through.
I did this last time.

Now I'm at the end of my Insanity run using that character and at level 58 almost to level 59.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Edvardelis said:
Were you aware of the Mako penalty? You only 25% of the actual XP if you kill something in the Mako. Especially for things like Thresher Maws you should ding them for 98% of their health then get out and take the last shot on foot.
I was not aware of that. That is really annoying. Do they explain that to you anywhere? Such a huge thing...

Well I could go back and replay the last couple missions making sure to always be on foot, but that isn't worth it. I'll just beat the game with level VII stuff and keep my opinion that they had some really dumb design choices in the way they sell items. 10 million credits (minus one) and not a thing to buy...

Dice said:
I was not aware of that. That is really annoying. Do they explain that to you anywhere? Such a huge thing...

Nope, but it's pretty easy to see... just kill something inside/outside the Mako and watch the numbers.

Well I could go back and replay the last couple missions making sure to always be on foot, but that isn't worth it. I'll just beat the game with level VII stuff and keep my opinion that they had some really dumb design choices in the way they sell items. 10 million credits (minus one) and not a thing to buy...

Ironically several of the VII upgrades are better than the X ones.

Dice

Well that was a pretty cool ending, though a couple short sections had an utterly shitacular framerate.
I can't believe I convinced Saren to shoot himself. That was awesome.

Though with all that happened here and how, the council in ME2 is even more unbelievable.
I have more than one verbal exchange with a Reaper, Saren is transformed by one, we have the testimony of a good number of people about indoctrination, I save the galaxy with a data disk from the Protheans... and they still don't believe me? Utter bullshit. I can understand when it was just a vision, but all this is far too much evidence to ignore.

The credits song is pretty sweet.

Dice said:
Well that was a pretty cool ending, though a couple short sections had an utterly shitacular framerate.
I can't believe I convinced Saren to shoot himself. That was awesome.

Though with all that happened here and how, the council in ME2 is even more unbelievable.
I have more than one verbal exchange with a Reaper, Saren is transformed by one, we have the testimony of a good number of people about indoctrination, I save the galaxy with a data disk from the Protheans... and they still don't believe me? Utter bullshit. I can understand when it was just a vision, but all this is far too much evidence to ignore.

The credits song is pretty sweet.

You'd think that they would have micro-cameras on spectres. Actually how did the combat team on Eden Prime film Sovereign in the initial mission? Surely if alliance soldiers have cameras on them, then Shepard would.

Dice

Doncamatic said:
You'd think that they would have micro-cameras on spectres. Actually how did the combat team on Eden Prime film Sovereign in the initial mission? Surely if alliance soldiers have cameras on them, then Shepard would.
Maybe not. Spectres do their dirty work, so maybe that would be too much of a liability. On the other hand, it seems like omnitools can record anything. Either way, their attitude in ME2 is completely ridiculous. At least we know they get their shit fucked up in ME3. Serves em right.

Leucrota

So if there a Game of the Year edition of this game, or do I have to download all of the DLC individually after I get the game itself?

Dice

PatMcAtee said:
So if there a Game of the Year edition of this game, or do I have to download all of the DLC individually after I get the game itself?
Uh, it's been out for so long you can pretty much forget about that happening, don't you think? If anything I think they'd release a trilogy pack with all DLC or something.

Gaaraz

Hey guys,

I'm playing this with an almost exclusive focus on story, just trying to get through it asap and have the difficulty set as low as possible to help me with this, so not overly fussed on who has the best skills - was just wondering who the best two squad members are based on dialogue and story alone!? :)

Thanks

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I didn't buy any weapons or armor on my recent playthrough, and completely breezed through the game on dropped weapons and upgrades with no problem.

Mindlog

Gaaraz said:
Hey guys,

I'm playing this with an almost exclusive focus on story, just trying to get through it asap and have the difficulty set as low as possible to help me with this, so not overly fussed on who has the best skills - was just wondering who the best two squad members are based on dialogue and story alone!? :)

Thanks
Don't go to Therum early. Save it for last.

Wrex and someone else.
I'm guessing most people will say, Garrus.
If someone recommends Tali feel free to ignore them.
I would say Ashley. She has the best character arc and some funny moments with Wrex.

goodfella

Gaaraz said:
Hey guys,

Thanks

Just take who ever your interested in the most, or try to mix it up, as the dialogue in missions is not that interesting, the main interactions come from talking to your companions on the Normandy.
To get the most out of the story, try to talk to each of your squad members after each main story mission, as they will likely have new things to say.

Gaaraz

Thank you guys! I'm still very early in (although I recruited 3 new squad members in around 10 minutes! Odd design choice) so haven't had a chance to see that you still get to chat to them even if they aren't in your squad, will just see who I prefer :)

Wrex and Ashley does sound good though, thank you!

Dice

Garrus is undeniable. Best team member in the series. One of the best game characters ever.

Gaaraz

Loving so much about this game, but the huge game world is frustrating - every planet, city, sector seems unnecessarily large and overwhelming - it's so easy to get lost, and even when you do know where to go it can take ages. I was so disheartened when I saw the galaxy map too...

Still, the game has so much going for it, the voice acting is incredible and the dialogue (and sheer amount of it) is breath taking!

Melchiah

Gaaraz said:
Loving so much about this game, but the huge game world is frustrating - every planet, city, sector seems unnecessarily large and overwhelming - it's so easy to get lost, and even when you do know where to go it can take ages. I was so disheartened when I saw the galaxy map too...

My thoughts exactly when I played the game for the first time. Too much freedom and options can also be somewhat disheartening. I prefer a one single path when I'm playing a story based game. Which is why I don't really like sandbox games.

Mr_Zombie

One thing the game really needed (and thankfully it was introduced in ME2) was information on what planet you've already explored and what missions (that you know about) are available on each planet. The first time I've played ME1 I wrote down all planets in each system and manually checked them down after visiting it, just to be sure that I haven't missed anything.

The_Technomancer said:
I didn't buy any weapons or armor on my recent playthrough, and completely breezed through the game on dropped weapons and upgrades with no problem.
Yeah, once this game "clicks" it's fucking easy as pie.

Gaaraz

I'm exactly the same Melciah! Really not a fan of open-world/sandbox games at all, much prefer something a little more structured (and linear!) like Uncharted, ICO, God of War etc.

What you mentioned sounds like a huge improvement too Mr_Zombie - would love if they had implemented something like that for the first game in the form of a patch or something. Even being able to see exactly where your next objective is would be a huge bonus!

Quick question: Assuming I want to get through this as quickly as possible, and barely explore the game world at all - is there a guide anywhere that will help me to go the right planets at the right times to just exclusively do useful and interesting side quests? Preferably ones that add a lot of character development and story, without any of the filler quests and exploration.

Cheers!

Patryn

Gaaraz said:
I'm exactly the same Melciah! Really not a fan of open-world/sandbox games at all, much prefer something a little more structured (and linear!) like Uncharted, ICO, God of War etc.

What you mentioned sounds like a huge improvement too Mr_Zombie - would love if they had implemented something like that for the first game in the form of a patch or something. Even being able to see exactly where your next objective is would be a huge bonus!

Quick question: Assuming I want to get through this as quickly as possible, and barely explore the game world at all - is there a guide anywhere that will help me to go the right planets at the right times to just exclusively do useful and interesting side quests? Preferably ones that add a lot of character development and story, without any of the filler quests and exploration.

Cheers!

Did none of you realize there's a Quest Guide in your journal? And that it divides things between story missions and side missions? Follow that, and it'll tell you exactly where to go.

As it is, the Galaxy Map has markers pointing to all the story quest locations. Follow those, it'll take you to the relevant planets.

The only exception is finding Liara, and that's the only story mission that forces you to explore.

But if you REALLY hate exploring that much, here's her location:
Artemis Tau/Knossos/Therum (second planet).

And if you're not a fan of more sandbox games, maybe Mass Effect isn't for you? Nothing says you have to like every game. Why force yourself to play something you don't enjoy?

Gaaraz

Oh I see, thank you! I was making good use of the journal, and quick travel too, so it wasn't that frustrating at times... I think I'm just at the point of finding Liara now,
just after you get the ship, and you go to a planet where they have over zealous security guards, and you help a guy out when they're searching his hotel room for evidence on his computer?
so yeah that might explain why I was annoyed by the lack of clear guidance.

I just remember it saying "somewhere within the whatever sector" and there are like 20+ planets in that sector...

Thank you for the location btw, in case I've got it wrong - it will be useful for when I get to that point :) Also enjoying lots about the game, despite the sandboxness, so will preserve - but good point that there's nothing wrong in just giving up on something half way through if you're not enjoying it.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So i bought this game on Steam after hearing lots of good impressions. Only had time to play 10 minutes since the game took nearly 5 hours to download and finished at 11pm.

I have a question, maybe its just the fact that the game is 4 years old, but is it just me or the textures are pretty low res even when i put everything on high? The hair especially. It look horrible on women. The faces looks alright, but then there is the fugly hairs that looks like cheap wigs.

But maybe i just got spoiled after playing Witcher 2 ha.

Lime

Bisnic said:
So i bought this game on Steam after hearing lots of good impressions. Only had time to play 10 minutes since the game took nearly 5 hours to download and finished at 11pm.

I have a question, maybe its just the fact that the game is 4 years old, but is it just me or the textures are pretty low res even when i put everything on high? The hair especially. It look horrible on women. The faces looks alright, but then there is the fugly hairs that looks like cheap wigs.

But maybe i just got spoiled after playing Witcher 2 ha.

Hair looks like shit.

Otherwise, notice if your armours have high-res textures. If they have, the setting is set to high.

Dice

It's a bug with the Steam version. Open the Mass Effect launcher, go to configure, repair, then hit Delete Local shader cache files. That should fix it. If not, go to My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Published\CookedPC and remove the UPK file (LocalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk).

Edit: But yeah, the hair is shit.

Bisnic

Lime said:
Hair looks like shit.

Otherwise, notice if your armours have high-res textures. If they have, the setting is set to high.

The armor didn't impress me, it looked like low or medium at best. Even the alien in the ship at the beginning didn't looked high res.
Hell, even armor from the latest expansion of WoW seems higher res than this game.

Then again maybe i'm asking too much from a 2007 game. :p I'll just try to enjoy it how it is later today.

edit : just saw the above post, i'll do that later and see if it change anything.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
Dice said:
It's a bug with the Steam version. Open the Mass Effect launcher, go to configure, repair, then hit Delete Local shader cache files. That should fix it. If not, go to My Documents\BioWare\Mass Effect\Published\CookedPC and remove the UPK file (LocalShaderCache-PC-D3D-SM3.upk).

Edit: But yeah, the hair is shit.
There is another spot that you might need to delete ( I had to) that same file.

steam install folder
Steam\steamapps\common\mass effect\BioGame\CookedPC\

Bisnic

Yeah that fixed the low texture glitch, looks better now. Although something odd happened when Shepard got near the beacon at the beginning. For some reason Kaidan was invisible and i didnt realize it at first and thought Shepard was fighting some invisible entity, before he float in midair that is. :lol

Wonder if that will happen again.

Biscuits

Item collection and in-depth stat building aside, one thing I really missed about ME1 was high explosive rounds. Especially when paired with the shotgun. Man that shit was fun, getting enemies stuck in random inaccessible areas was hilarious. I guess I can see why Bioware removed it though...

Is it worth re-playing Mass Effect to import the save file for Mass Effect 2? I hated how all of the outcomes in Mass Effect 2 were based off of the bad/evil decisions you could have made in the first game.

zam

Thinking of doing an insanity run, as that is the only achievement I have left in ME1 (got 100% of ME2) and I have a quick question.

I have a lvl 60 soldier with maxed out gear, but the only problem is since I used the same character to get the Paragon and Renegade achievements, the character has both maxed out Charm and Intimidate skills, all those Intimidate points could've gone into some other more useful skill. Should I just play with the lvl 60 Shepard on Insanity, or start a new one? Which would give me the easiest time on insanity?

Mr. Serious Business said:
Is it worth re-playing Mass Effect to import the save file for Mass Effect 2? I hated how all of the outcomes in Mass Effect 2 were based off of the bad/evil decisions you could have made in the first game.
I don't know if it's necessarily "worth it," but I enjoyed keeping my playthroughs consistent. Also, the bonus money/minerals from ME1>ME2 was nice.
If you liked the first game, definitely just replay it.

Dice

If you know the story so you know what the decisions actually are, use the Gibbed ME2 save editor, which includes ME1 story flag editing.

Bisnic

Is there any way to force AA on the Steam version of this game? I tried with Nvidia control panel, but it didn't work. Maybe i did it wrong, i don't usually use it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bisnic said:
Is there any way to force AA on the Steam version of this game? I tried with Nvidia control panel, but it didn't work. Maybe i did it wrong, i don't usually use it.
Use Nvidia Inspector and make sure the Mass Effect profile is set to this AA compatibility: 0x080100C5

Bisnic

Another question about the textures, is this normal for regular npcs to look like this? This is with textures set to "Ultra-High" by the way.

http://i.imgur.com/gDvHh.jpg

It's weird, because some aliens like the blue women, looks good, while some like these little guys are horribly low res.

I did delete that cache file someone mentioned sooner though. But maybe all of this is normal and i'm worrying for nothing.

jackdoe

Bisnic said:
Another question about the textures, is this normal for regular npcs to look like this? This is with textures set to "Ultra-High" by the way.

http://i.imgur.com/gDvHh.jpg

It's weird, because some aliens like the blue women, looks good, while some like these little guys are horribly low res.

I did delete that cache file someone mentioned sooner though. But maybe all of this is normal and i'm worrying for nothing.
It's normal. They only created higher resolution textures for some character faces, but the textures for clothing were retained from the 360 version, which were pretty fugly textures. Hell, some of these textures are retained for ME2!

Bisnic

jackdoe said:
It's normal. They only created higher resolution textures for some character faces, but the textures for clothing were retained from the 360 version, which were pretty fugly textures. Hell, some of these textures are retained for ME2!

Does ME2 look better at least? Except for some textures like you said.

Oh yeah, something else, is it possible to track some of the quests on the map? I have to find 21 keepers and the last ones might be hard to find, the Citadel is huge.

Duffyside

Banned
Interesting, I was just thinking of posting in this thread the other day.

I started playing ME for the first time finally and I have a dilemma; do I NEED to choose one path, Renegade or Paragon? I would like to just choose whatever comments seem to make the most sense for me, and have that silly meter just lie somewhere in the middle. What are the benefits of getting your Shep to full one side or the other?

My desire raises another problem entirely, however; I hate when I read an option, and go "yeah, that sounds right" and then choose it, at which point assface Shephard says something totally not in line with what I inferred from the option! Any tips for me getting over my OCD? It's been a month since I last played the game, and was only a couple of hours in, so maybe I should just start the hell over anyway.

SGSSAA really does wonders for this game.

And thank you guys for the steam texture bug explanation, I was ready to give up and replay it on the 360, again.

Now it's something else.

For those interested, in nvidia inspector (compatibility 0x080100C5, though it should detect it automatically, if you choose Mass Effect from the game list) use 4x multisampling aa, then 4x sparse grid aa in transparency multisampling, and adjust lod bias to -1 if textures get blurred.

Top Bottom