• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Sexual Assaults at Swedish Music Festivals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erevador

From the New York Times.

The police said there had been five reports of rape and 12 reports of sexual molestation at the Bravalla Festival in Norrkoping, about 100 miles southwest of Stockholm, while 32 sexual assaults had been reported at Putte i Parken, a music festival in Karlstad, about 190 miles west of Stockholm.
The police have been examining seven suspects, six of them foreigners, whose ages range from under 18 to 35, Inspector Nystrom said; no arrests have been made.
This will not be the last such occurrence in Europe this year, be sure of that.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Music festivals in the US aren't much better or at least have serious issues with this kind of stuff.

Erevador

Nationalist has been using this as 'This didn't happen before, immigrants fault'
From The Telegraph.

An anonymous 15-year-old girl told Expressen newspaper that no fewer than five of her six friends had been sexually molested by “foreign youths” during the Karlstad event.

A man had come up behind her and started grinding against her, she said. A young man had groped one of her friends through her jeans.

Alexandra Larsson, 17, told MailOnline that she had not seen exactly who had assaulted her at Putte i Parken.

She stressed, however, that that the group of 18-19 year old boys standing behind her were “not from a Swedish background”.

“They were probably immigrants. I hate to say it. But it is the truth,” she said.

HStallion

This isn't about the US though. Why even bring it up?

Because its an issue with music festivals in general and they don't have the threat of roaming groups of foreigners in the US. Basically this shit happens all the time whether you've got a refugee issue in your country or not.

Not making light of this but random butt grinders are still a nightclub staple... Or were

I think i see a lot less of it now outside of mifdle age drunks?

I dunno im getting old

Not making light of this but random butt grinders are still a nightclub staple... Or were

I think i see a lot less of it now outside of mifdle age drunks?

I dunno im getting old

I got my butt squeezed at my last festival. Dunno how common this is. I dont go to many koncerts to begin with

I just gave them the evil eye

HStallion

I got my butt squeezed at my last festival. Dunno how common this is. I dont go to many koncerts to begin with

I just gave them the evil eye

I don't do the music festival thing much anymore in the US but the blatant amounts of heavy drug use, drinking, acting the fool and sex as well was pretty over the top. I'm sure there are music festivals a bit more controlled and contained but I've seen some pretty crazy stuff going down. Its really hard to police some of the crowds that reach into the tens of thousands with many of them on something, in close proximity and so forth.

Famassu

It mostly is these days (at least in Finland, Sweden and Norway). After that flood of those young middle-eastern men to Europe.
Total & utter bullshit. Those cases get reported more easily & are given a lot more visibility by the press & social media than some husband raping his wife, a relative raping some relative of his(/hers) and other kinds of rape that are far more common than some random person raping someone he(/she) doesn't know.

fanboi

Banned
I like how you have to make this about dumb nationalists and the poor immigrants instead of the underaged girls, the real victims here.

Ehem, no? Just saying since there are very nationalistic winds blowing in Sweden right now. Doesn't matter if it is immigrants or 'born swedes' who did it, but they are using it (and of course it will be foreigners at fault time to time).

HStallion

Disgusting stuff. And not the first time either. This needs to be handled before this becomes more and more commonplace.

im having a Deja Vu? or this is a common occurrence for music festivals?

It happens in the US all the time from what I've read. Its not something unique to countries that have a lot of foreigners of middle Eastern descent. Its an issue with large music festivals that don't have much oversight of the attendees, rampant drug and alcohol use, and people getting all worked up from the event itself.

Vice: There's a Rape Problem at Music Festivals and Nobody Seems to Care

The latter.

The former.

The latter.

This is a lie.

hmmmm, I'm guessing the former but for current political camps some would say the latter.

anyways, while I'm sure immigrants contribute to the crime statistic isn't it better to say "Refugees did this" - I say this because anyone who isn't form the country is an immigrant right?! and if we put all foreigners in one basket it wouldn't be fair to those that do not contribute to the crime statistic?

Its a slippery slope is all im saying - at some point you could point to anyone who doesn't fit in and throw him out because all foreigners can't be trusted....

If it was refugees, then thats fair since if anything it would be better to identify who is commiting the crimes...

Hesemonni

Banned
Total & utter bullshit. Those cases get reported more easily & are given a lot more visibility by the press & social media than some husband raping his wife, a relative raping some relative of his(/hers) and other kinds of rape that are far more common than some random person raping someone he(/she) doesn't know.
Ok. If that makes you sleep better.

But a pretty pretty solid data suggest that these kinds of crimes tend to more popular amongst certain nationalities. Atleast in Finland and I think Sweden has similar studies made.

it's sadly pretty common, isn't it? I remember those stories from Woodstock '99.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodstock_1999#Aftermath

Police investigated four alleged instances of rape that occurred during the concert.[23] Eyewitnesses reported a crowd-surfing woman being pulled down into the crowd and gang-raped in the mosh pit during Limp Bizkit's set.[24] A volunteer also reported seeing a gang-rape during the Korn performance.[25]

people are horrible.

aBarreras

Wasn't common in Germany/Sweden before the mass migration crisis.
It is now.
You can decide if these events are somehow connected.

im pretty sure it was common, but since there weren't foreigners, nobody did a great deal about it, but eh! keep thinking that

Is immigrants anyone from outside the country or is the term used for anyone with middle eastern looks?

Just curious

Most of the reports are dealing with young middle-eastern men.

So you say (aka you have no proof of your "we too" scenario). Not gonna get into a debate anyway, because it's leftist/rightist politics and I don't care about that shit at all. I care about the truth.

Media coverage is full of immigrant rapes. Police reports back them up at least here in Finland.

EDIT: And they say Stockholm (Sweden) is the rape capital of the world now. Mostly because of the immigrant crisis. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

Proelite

Deport them and stop letting in refugees that are single males, which ever country that let them into Europe.

HStallion

I was curios about this sort of stuff so I did a quick google search on this stuff:

Nice article from a law firm on the matter - music festivals a hunting ground for sexual predators

From the good folks at vice - There's a Rape Problem at Music Festivals and Nobody Seems to Care

This was my point. People are acting like there was never an issue with rape or sexual violence at festivals when it was very much a big deal and I find it kind of gross that people are only NOW paying attention because its another way for them to drag foreigners and scary brown people through the dirt.

Rembrandt

Banned
Most of the reports are dealing with young middle-eastern men.

So you say (aka you have no proof of your "we too" scenario). Not gonna get into a debate anyway, because it's leftist/rightist politics and I don't care about that shit at all. I care about the truth.

Media coverage is full of immigrant rapes. Police reports back them up at least here in Finland.

EDIT: And they say Stockholm (Sweden) is the rape capital of the world now. Mostly because of the immigrant crisis. http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-19592372

Please quote where it says immigrant crisis and not because of the widening of the definition of rape considering Sweden's rape charges have been drastically increasing since the early 2000s.

Bedlam

The real scandal was how Swedish authorities swept those kinds of incidents under the rug for quite some time and eventually had to admit them. There surely were good intentions behind this approach but unfortunately the end result is much worse when stuff like this is uncovered. It plays right into the hands of certain right-wing circles.

If there is a problem caused by a culture clash and not least by the insufficient integration of the many young, male refugees, it needs to be faced and discussed openly.

Would you two consider yourself racists?
Yeah, just play the racist card immediately and disregard facts. Really great discussion culture!

Bullshit, this kind of mass molesting has not happen again after New Years eve in germany
Maybe because it was brought to great attention and made news around the world? Obviously, the circumstances that supported/facilitated this incident (new year's eve, general chaos in the streets, everyone drunk etc.) is not an everyday occurrence.

Fuchsdh

Seems like that should be pretty easy to prove: did this happen before mass immigration, or not?

Not as easy as that, given that records are generally pretty poor with regards to sexual assaults, and escalating numbers of rapes year over year probably has a lot more to do with victims of both sexes actually reporting the crimes instead of staying silent.

The situation doesn't sound as horrible as the incidents in Cologne, although that's probably not much comfort to the actual victims.

diaspora

Someone being ethnically brown doesn't mean they're from the middle east lol. The guy could be born and raised in France- which would still make him an immigrant.

KAOz

Short bus special

Wat. I saw no specific mention of the immigrant crisis there.

Though. I did learn something new.

"In Sweden there has been this ambition explicitly to record every case of sexual violence separately, to make it visible in the statistics," she says.
"So, for instance, when a woman comes to the police and she says my husband or my fiance raped me almost every day during the last year, the police have to record each of these events, which might be more than 300 events. In many other countries it would just be one record - one victim, one type of crime, one record.

Did not know this.

Bedlam

Or maybe because I live in germany and would have noticed when this kind of stuff happened?
What's your point? I didn't deny that an event like this didn't occurr again since then but I explained why your reasoning is insufficient. Oh and I live in Germany as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom