• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Chalice |OT| Tactical strategy on an epic timeline.

Planned on playing this later because of The Witcher 3, but it's really addictive :). Lots of interesting mechanics, and choices to be made.

Rosur

This being a free game for gold is gonna get me to turn my xbox one on this month...
Though haven't yet as know I'm just gonna lose 3/4hrs to it like i do with Civ 5 and did with XCOM (and need to finish Arkham City firstl).

Bought this yesterday and I'm really enjoying it so far! The environments are pretty and the music is nicer than I expected. The visual style is interesting; sometimes it looks fantastic and other teams it can be ugly, especially up close. Also, I really love some of the houses's flag design and motto, some are surprisingly cool or menacing.

Quick gameplay question, does anyone know what strength, dexterity and intelligence do?

hawk2025

Really didn't like it.

The resource management and base building isn't interesting or fun enough to make up for the bare strategy gameplay. Eehhh, I'm dropping it.

https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/607805947256315904

TimSchafer said:
Lady Tim Schafer is Nearsighted, Brainy, Optimistic, and Cocky. I thought these were random, @MrMooEar!

CG9cSFAUYAADu-N.jpg

Welp I beat it on normal iron mode first shot without restarting. Preeeetty easy and rather boring, unfortunately. While the concept is cool, the execution, in a world that has tactical combat like X-Com, falls short.

red36

Neo Member
I was into the kickstarted and like the idea in general, but the aesthetics are all off. Wobberjocks and the silly dialogue of the chalice people completely turned me off. This could have been xcom meets crusader kings. Instead its...well something that ended up not being interesting to me. I hope it works out for those who bought/backed.

hawk2025

Welp I beat it on normal iron mode first shot without restarting. Preeeetty easy and rather boring, unfortunately. While the concept is cool, the execution, in a world that has tactical combat like X-Com, falls short.

I was into the kickstarted and like the idea in general, but the aesthetics are all off. Wobberjocks and the silly dialogue of the chalice people completely turned me off. This could have been xcom meets crusader kings. Instead its...well something that ended up not being interesting to me. I hope it works out for those who bought/backed.

All of this.

There's just no meat to the bones. Well, there is some on the base building parts, but even the base building has been done in a significantly better and more engrossing way elsewhere. The threat is in when you will be attacked, but the combat and engagement limitations are so large that it feels more like an unnecessary, slow annoyance than an actual high-stakes feature of the game.

They had a pretty good idea, and failed to build a compelling game around it.

flkraven

The last few months have been terrible for me. Not my type of games at all. Hoping for some good news at E3

gwg is dumb. the only games given away that I'm interested in I already own.

I just wanted to post here to call myself out. I was totally down on this month, and that was very stupid.

I was wrong. Massive Chalice is amazing, and I've only played about 2 hours. I am going to play the shit out of this. This game very well may be the best GWG I've received on the XB1. If any of the devs read my previous comments, I'd like to sincerely apologize. I would recommend this game to anyone!

People still on the fence about this should read Tom Chick's review of it, where he gives the game 5 out 5.

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/20...-be-the-thing-you-hate-about-massive-chalice/

QuarterToThree said:
Some of these things will still be a liability for many players. Where I see a bold design, they’ll see annoying hero churn and an endgame sucker punch. These are the same people who reload XCOM when their high level characters die because they don’t want to play a game with painful deaths, because they’re focused on beating the game, because they need to jealously shepherd their most powerful characters through to the finale. Massive Chalice isn’t for them. Massive Chalice, a brilliant and subversive take on tactical RPGs, is for the rest of us. Bravo, Double Fine. It’s easy enough to make a good game a lot of people will like. It’s not so easy to make a great game only some people will love.

Brakke

Banned
I'm like 20 years from filling the Challice... I've played this battle three times almost to the end and every time it has frozen up and crashed me out to the dashboard. Brad Muir pls.

I'm in a bit of a weird situation with Massive Chalice. I think it's a wonderful game, but the final mission has completley sucked the wind out of my sails. I can't beat it. It is impossible with my current Vanguard. These are my best people and there's no way I can "beat" the game without restarting. It's frustrating. The entire game has been a easy until this point.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not great at this style of game. That said, I felt like I got into a really good groove and was completley blind sided when I entered the final mission.

The problem is, I only "bred" hunters. I had a few trickshots here and there, but at some point I just kept making more and more hunters. I was surprised, to say the least, that the final battle was unlike anything else I had seen in the game. Without any AOE or crowd control there's nothing I can do.

Yeah, I understand the idea that this is part of the game, but it's kind of soul crushing to play a game for 20+ hours, see the finish in sight, and realize there's no way you can complete it.

Mupod

I wish I could have an opinion of the game but it's been weeks now and they won't send me a key despite multiple emails sent to support. What the hell.

Funny thing is I have other backer rewards like the icon on the forums under my name etc.

Victory! I started a new game, made an effort to focus on more hybrid classes with strong AOE/crowd control, and let the cadence know how my kingdom rolls.

Massive Chalice has easily become one of my favorite games this year. My fingers are crossed for an expansion or sequel.

Zyae

Im at around year 275 and I cant continue because any new save I make is corrupted and I cannot load. So I have to either wait for a patch fixing this or just beat the game in one sitting. Any word from the devs on a patch?

danowat

Banned
Holy moly the final battle has a difficulty spike!.

Pretty much impossible for me, not really had much of an issue with the game throughout, but man alive, that final battle is tough as balls.

Probably going to have to start again..........

Surprising how little discussion there is about this game! I completed it (Normal) today and enjoyed it. I thought the setting was really intriguing with just the right amount of ambiguity and flavour given in the little choose your own adventure moments. It felt like a world that you could have other games set in and expand on what was going on there.

[End spoilers]
The ending was a cop out though; it felt like they had to come up with a reason to have a fight with the cadence in the heart of your territory, and then just kinda ended the game there. It would have been cool (and doesn't seem too difficult) for them to engineer a scenario in the end game where the cadence attacks are so numerous that you cannot defend them on all fronts so they do actually get right up to the chalice at year 300. That would have then really felt like it really was down to the wire instead of the halfhearted reason of 'We have to teleport the cadence into the citadel for this to work, because reasons'.

Perhaps they patched the difficulty since some of the rest of you played it, as I found the final mission to be fine. Though I did have 3 relics, 3 level 10s and 2 level 9 heroes going in. The 'jacks level 10 skill of getting another action point after making a kill was ridiculous as my main chick was doing 60+ damage per hit by that stage, so she would get 3/4 kill chains in one round.

Also want to mention the music, which was really engaging and well implemented. Seemed to transition well between exploring / combat phases and dramatic moments.

Their community manager just posted that all the backers should have gotten GOG keys for the game now. I just checked my humble store page for the backer package, and there was indeed a GOG key there to redeem now.

Surprising how little discussion there is about this game! I completed it (Normal) today and enjoyed it. I thought the setting was really intriguing with just the right amount of ambiguity and flavour given in the little choose your own adventure moments. It felt like a world that you could have other games set in and expand on what was going on there.

I think it's a bit underrated here. The constant comparison with XCOM:EU might be one the reasons.

Top Bottom