• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Chalice |OT| Tactical strategy on an epic timeline.

Aaron

If you are talking about overwatch like in Xcom then it looks like this was a design decision. Not sure I agree with it but haven't spent enough time with the game to know for sure.

'MrMooEar [developer] Nov 11, 2014 @ 1:58pm
I love XCOM! Can you tell? :D

We talked about it a lot early in development. Does a tactics game need overwatch? We're inspired by a lof of other tactics games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Fire Emblem. These games (and a lot of others!) don't have an Overwatch mechanic. So we decided to leave it on the sidelines when designing the game.

Hopefully that helps! We really don't feel like it's a necessary feature for this kind of game, even though it's super cool and works really well for XCOM. :D!'

http://steamcommunity.com/app/246110/discussions/0/613941122865394513/

Having already twenty hours into the game, overwatch would have added an extra layer of strategy. You'll find that alchemists are especially hurt by this limitation, but overall being able to set up the field and letting the enemies come to you could have been a viable tactic. Instead, you sometimes need to rush in before they get you, and hope there aren't more enemies lurking in the fog. Or really abuse the hunter's stealth ability.

p3tran

Banned
I downloaded this mid-day, thought I'd just fire it up for a few minutes
and
I am 150 years in!!

my kingdom only has Hunter - Bow Heroes after 50 years of selective breeding

edit:
well done Double Fine games.

ryseing

I downloaded this mid-day, thought I'd just fire it up for a few minutes
and
I am 150 years in!!

my kingdom only has Hunter - Bow Heroes after 50 years of selective breeding

edit:
well done Double Fine games.

You can recruit new heroes.

BGMNTS

XCOM without the cover/defence system. Throw some marriages and babies in there to mix classes and pass on character traits and stats to the next set of characters, and you've got yourself a super cool game!

Also I think in terms of gameplay it could be deeper and indeed a defend and overwatch mechanic should be there, for Hunters and Alchemists mainly.

this turned out super solid. wow.

could use a bit more depth in the tactical combat, hopefully they'll do an expansion.

Just started it up. Holy crap at the amount of Houses. Guess I'll just stick with random lol.
backers made a lot of those. pretty fun to have that crazy amount and use random yeah. can't even remember which ones I made anyway, lol.

Dynasty8

So...how does everyone like the game so far?

I haven't had the chance to try it out and I won't be able to for a couple days... but as a fan of FFT/Fire Emblem...this game has caught my curiosity. Anything like those games as far as story and gameplay?

p3tran

Banned
You can recruit new heroes.

yes I know, but unless they are bow/hunters, they ain't getting a hubbie/wife.
best thing can happen to them is either help tech or train heroes.

my hero bloodline hasn't got a casualty in battle since 100 years :D

ryseing

Oh OK. Didn't think you did that on purpose.

Just posting that because I didn't realize it until halfway through my first playthrough.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This is a giveaway for the thread url: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1054811.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Dog Problems, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Massive Chalice -- MB-790D5E6689D19FC0 - Taken by rhandino. 5 entrants total.

t1433215636z1.png

I forgot that I had this extra copy to give away so here it is. It's a Humble gift that includes a Steam key. Also, for backers, there should be a Steam key for the Kickstarter Relic now in your Humble account.

Segaswirl

I'm on year 130 or so and whenever the AI is completing it's turn it crashes the game. Doesn't seem to matter what I do on my turn before it, I can't stop it from freezing.

p3tran

Banned
I'm on year 130 or so and whenever the AI is completing it's turn it crashes the game. Doesn't seem to matter what I do on my turn before it, I can't stop it from freezing.
strange. i stopped for tonight at year 170++, game never hitched for me and i had a super-long session.
unless you are playing the iron thing, maybe try loading a little earlier save?
worst case scenario, hardbooting the console like there's no tomorrow might help :)

Zoso

It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely time.
Really enjoying the game so far. Playing with my wife and we've already had some heated debates about choosing the rulers with the best personalities and traits. Also, it's really cool to use the Bloodline we created in the game.

Played for almost 5 hours tonight, which is way more than usual. It's addictive and quite fun.

So basically your nation is Westeros.

Got it.

Not sure if I just suck at the game but lapses have essentially ruined my playthrough. I got to about year 80ish or so and just hit a wall because I was ending up with net losses of XP on missions.

Deleted my save since it wasn't worth continuing. I'll start over and see if I can have a better outcome tomorrow.

Playing this on Xbox One and really enjoying it. I'm not too far in, but I'll definitely have to start mixing up the breeding a bit so I get more than caberjacks (House Davis represent!).

Have to say, when it comes to the actual gameplay, I think Brad Muir's games are Double Fine's best.

jesu

I've liked what I've played(about 30 years in) but I'm not very good at it.
Will need to start again now I know what I'm doing and be a bit more cautious!

Segaswirl

strange. i stopped for tonight at year 170++, game never hitched for me and i had a super-long session.
unless you are playing the iron thing, maybe try loading a little earlier save?
worst case scenario, hardbooting the console like there's no tomorrow might help :)

Yeah I was playing it for hours too, couldn't put it down. I am playing on Iron mode though, so it looks like I may have to start again.

OrigiNull

I played a couple hours last night and am really enjoying it so far. While I do miss the 'overwatch' option for the Hunters I can't imaging it would be a good idea for the Alchemists.

Some of the wild throws they have sometimes... I can just picture overwatch triggering and them nuking my whole front line by accident.

ringlord

Enjoying this. Played it a bit in early access, but tried it out on the XB last night.

The challenging part (for me at least) is to plan far enough ahead so I don't pin myself in a corner. It's not possible to quickly correct for mistakes -- it takes years of game time to build up structures or to grow/hire new heroes. Trying to figure out the strategy on my own without resorting to others' templates.

Zach

I played for a short bit yesterday. Seems promising, but if it's harder than XCOM I should probably steer clear. I ain't got time for the frustration.

Also, I was disappointed in not being able to name my squad (unless I missed it).

see5harp

Man this shit is good. Love the marriage stuff and cool stuff like adopting kids. I sorta wish they had made the combat a little more strategic but man there's plenty to do with the non combat stuff.

I love this game, got it free through gwg and I'm already up to year 154, I'm playing on normal and I'm not finding it too hard, the biggest problem is when a generation starts dying off, and you get down to all new soldiers which are lower levels and may not be as varied in classes as you'd want. I've also found ranged classes very overpowered, one of my hunters was hitting 100% accuracy from a few squares away with high 20's damage and with Follow Up and Put It Down I'm doing around 40 damage a turn right now.

It's punishing if you just run into every battle without thinking and that's what I really enjoy, it's easy to get surrounded and enemies that explode lead to tactics like this. I'm just glad to have something to scratch that XCOM itch.

Also Brad Muir was born in my game, he just says ":D" when he kills someone.

Negaduck

This game looks super cool. I'll have to get it eventually when funds look better. Love everything about double fine and after just finishing up watching the double fine adventure documentary I love everything about that company even more.

I got this on GWG. It's a fun game so far but I have a question. Are there some good strategies to getting people to the higher levels as trainees? My trainees are level 2 at the most.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I got this on GWG. It's a fun game so far but I have a question. Are there some good strategies to getting people to the higher levels as trainees? My trainees are level 2 at the most.

You need to put higher level kings/queens in keeps to breed. I'm not sure if you can replace kings/queens in keeps once you place them, though.

Brakke

Banned
Really loving this so far, but I'm definitely more excited for my second cycle than I am for finishing this first one. The game has a ton of systems and interactions it just does not explain or telegraph properly.

I think it suffers a little on the UX side, too. Cannot tell you how many times I set up a team with an Enforcer intending to use him as a scout, equipped him with a haste potion, run him up super far in stealth on the first turn, only to discover he has terrible vision and didn't actually end up revealing much map for me...

I think I made a mistake trying to get attached to individual heroes, when really you should be focusing on the bloodline as the unit of emotional investment. My peoples only get three or maybe only two (especially if they encounter a Wrinkler...) battles in before they're either dead or too old to bother developing.

But! I'm super psyched! My favorite House sent the lady I'd been intended to appoint as next Regent off to Transcend Space and Time! I hope that works out!

What a great game! Loving it thus far, though I got completely wrecked halfway through the 300 year cycle and felt like restarting the game now that I have a better grip on the mechanics.

Brakke

Banned
that feeling when most your regents die all back-to-back so you make a bunch of keep appointments and then you're down to only 2 heroes in your stable but you're like 2 years away from Find Heroes mission completing and you hit play and pray and pray and pray there isn't a cadence attack

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Yeah, i'm really, really not feeling the tactical combat.
I expected something in the vein of FFT, but this is basically watered down XCOM. Noncombat looks nice, but... too much combat.

JC Sera

Got this game its pretty fun and addictive
Veil armour feels super OP
The cradle alchemist weapon is not worth the time to research it
my chosen classes are Brewtalist (god I love this barbarian-esque class best melee), Trick Shot (best thing against cradles) and Shadow Jacks.

Also the honed hearing skill is super worth it.

Top Bottom