• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive Fire in High Rise Apartment in London

Gallbaro

Banned
These officials keep saying that the cladding is banned, yet aren't providing any specific regs to prove it.
Also sprinklers, even new blocks don't seem to have them (mine, 18-floor, 2014), I assume with the intention of flats containing the fire.
Sprinklers are hugely expensive, especially when a building is already "fire proof?"

The argument is that as you make housing more expensive, less of it gets built.

But since London don't build housing anyway...

Syder

Water sprinklers would've be redundant if the cladding wasn't there anyway, the fire would've been contained within 1 or 2 apartments.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Hammond claims the cladding material is banned in the UK..

confirmed by the DLGC to the BBC

The Department for Communities and Local Government has clarified that cladding using a composite aluminium panel with a polyethylene core is banned under the current Building Regulations guidance.

The material should not be used as fire safety cladding on buildings over 18m in height.

However, the department has said it is not able to comment on what type of cladding was used on Grenfell Tower building and that this would be subject to investigations.

If it is shown to be that type of cladding, and it is outright banned for tower blocks like that, then this is more than incredibly lethal negligence that deserves justice even if nothing was 'technically' wrong. It's an outright crime.

kmag

fire safety cladding is a strange choice of words. From what I've read it's aluminium composite cladding is allowed in England on high rises as long as there are fire breaks on each level and on each window and door. Presumably that would be as insulation not fire safety cladding, the fire safety coming from the breaks.

Gallbaro

Banned
fire safety cladding is a strange choice of words. From what I've read it's aluminium composite cladding is allowed in England on high rises as long as there are fire breaks on each level and on each window and door. Presumably that would be as insulation not fire safety cladding, the fire safety coming from the breaks.

In the UK is fire safety originated at legislated?

The USA gets its fire safety regs, largely from private industry.

Goodlife

These officials keep saying that the cladding is banned, yet aren't providing any specific regs to prove it.
Also sprinklers, even new blocks don't seem to have them (mine, 18-floor, 2014), I assume with the intention of flats containing the fire.

There was legislation passed in Wales a year or so ago which made it mandatory for all new builds to have a sprinkler system.

Beefy

So looks like each family is getting a whopping £5,500 in compensation:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-after-angry-exchanges-in-no-10-live-updates
Correct me if I'm wrong here but that seems disgustingly small for people who have literally lost everything.

Just a lil

SoY9k7D.jpg

bosseye

Just remember guys, it's not austerity, it's not being cheap; it's value engineering. Someone value engineered the shit out of that cladding to save a pittance on a multi million pound job. Welcome to the construction industry for the last decade.

I've said it before, might have missed it, but has there been any further talk about the compartmentation/firebreaks etc? In theory the entire external cladding envelope could be aflame but if the internal compartmentation functioned as it should, each flat should be providing a minimum of, say, 60minutes fire resistance. The entire place should never have gone up like it did, even if the fire marched right up the elevation and got in through open windows etc, it should have been contained within the affected flats for at least an hour, allowing people to escape.

Sounds like years worth of neglect, maintenance issues, possibly poor workmanship, and now this flammable cladding.

Kadin

Such a sad story about a couple who called their parents from the 23rd story flat as they watched flames rise towards them. I mean, I'm glad they got to speak to them one last time but how horrible for their parents on the other end.

With little chance of escape the 27-year-old architects phoned their parents, who said they told them they could see the flames raging up the stairs.

”I am so sorry I can never hug you again," Ms Trevisan said, her father Loris told La Repubblica newspaper. ”I had my whole life ahead of me. It's not fair. I don't want to die. I wanted to help you, to thank you for all you did for me.

”I am about to go to heaven, I will help you from there."

After the phone line cut out at around 3am, he added that they made hundreds of calls to their daughter, but they were unable to get through.

Mr Gottardi also called his family twice at 2.45am and again just over 15 minutes later, at which point he said the apartment was ”flooded with smoke" and the situation had reached emergency, his father, Giannino Gottardi, told Il Mattino di Padova.

”In the first call, Marco told us not to worry, that everything was under control, that basically we must not worry. He was trying to minimize what happened, probably not to unsettle us," he said.

”But in the second call – and I can't get this out of my head – he said there was smoke, that so much smoke was rising. We were on the phone until the last moment ... At 4.07am [Italian time] he told us their apartment was flooded with smoke and that the situation had become an emergency.

Dabanton

Such a sad story about a couple who called their parents from the 23rd story flat as they watched flames rise towards them. I mean, I'm glad they got to speak to them one last time but how horrible for their parents on the other end.

Absolutely heartbreaking.

Knowing it's coming as well. Just terrifying.

Nordicus

Guardian update:
Kensington and Chelsea council has been relieved of responsibility for taking care of the survivors of the Grenfell Tower disaster.

The work is being handed over to a new Grenfell Fire Response Team, made up of representatives from central government, the British Red Cross, the Metropolitan police, London-wide local and regional government and the London Fire Brigade.

It is embarrassing for the council, the wealthiest in the country, to have had to cede control.

Nevasleep

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...e-after-angry-exchanges-in-no-10-live-updates
Correct me if I'm wrong here but that seems disgustingly small for people who have literally lost everything.
I hope I don't sound like a dick, but that's what insurance is for? or are council/housing association tenants automatically covered.
I don't have any problem with them getting £5,500 right now though.

I hope I don't sound like a dick, but that's what insurance is for? or are council/housing association tenants automatically covered.

Yeah, council tenants still need home insurance. Sucks but it's common knowledge in the UK that your goods are not covered when renting from the council.

However I'm certain once this investigation has ended the families are in for a huge payout.

Uhyve

Poorer families (like maybe those living in council housing) often choose to forgo insurance in order to purchase luxuries such as food.

Breakage

Man, that is just so sad to read. Every time I see clips of the tower gradually being consumed by flames I just think about what must have been going thru the minds of the people trapped on the upper floors. They must have known that they had little chance of escaping and were essentially waiting to die. The brief moment of time between the rising flames and their deaths must have been utterly terrifying. Hearing the sirens outside, seeing the smoke and flames, inhaling the acrid smell of stuff burning and knowing you can't escape must have been tremendously difficult to process. Some of them probably even saw the tower's destruction unfold on their phones via social media and news apps - in full knowledge that the flames were coming for them and that they were powerless. I remember having similar thoughts when I was watching 9/11 unfold on TV. It's a truly terrifying thing to experience.

Gallbaro

Banned
Just remember guys, it's not austerity, it's not being cheap; it's value engineering. Someone value engineered the shit out of that cladding to save a pittance on a multi million pound job. Welcome to the construction industry for the last decade.

I've said it before, might have missed it, but has there been any further talk about the compartmentation/firebreaks etc? In theory the entire external cladding envelope could be aflame but if the internal compartmentation functioned as it should, each flat should be providing a minimum of, say, 60minutes fire resistance. The entire place should never have gone up like it did, even if the fire marched right up the elevation and got in through open windows etc, it should have been contained within the affected flats for at least an hour, allowing people to escape.

Sounds like years worth of neglect, maintenance issues, possibly poor workmanship, and now this flammable cladding.
Once the fire got in the single staircase it was over. Still cannot get over that.

But also you know that fire rating only exists until the tenets move in.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
https://twitter.com/Faysal_FreeGaza/status/876282657818238977
Locals told by fireman on scene that they found 42 people all in one room early on.

Horrifying stuff.

"About 42 bodies" sounds awfully specific. I wouldn't take it for granted, first it's just an "I heard from a friend" story, second: The death toll for the first days was 17. It would've been at least 42 if that story were true. And then they go on to say "We know 42 families in that building that are missing". Seems like a magic number. And "They're hiding something, they don't want you to know". Come on, just some attention seeking pricks. As if every police officer out there has an agenda to keep the real numbers lower than they are.

ibrahima

Banned

Housing association / tenant management organisation may be expected to rehouse people in alternate accommodation in an isolated situation.

If the tenants had contents insurance it may be asked to make a contribution towards the cost of alternate accommodation during this time, but given the circumstances this is difficult to compare to what's happened at the tower given the number of people affected and the wider circumstances.

In an isolated situation, yes if you were renting somewhere and your home was affected by a fire or similar you may go through your insurance or go through your landlord for temporary accommodation, likewise both parties may be responsible for contribution towards the cost of accommodation, but I wouldn't want to say that should be expected to happen here.

I would have hoped the council would have been providing assistance like the £5500 lump sum very shortly after the event, I honestly think the level of support they've given is scandalous, particularly given that other councils and organisations have had to intervene.

cntr

Banned
re: the fire happening in the middle of the night

It's currently Ramadan, so a lot of people were awake to eat the pre-dawn meal and woke up their neighbours to get out.

The BBC mentioned it earlier on their live feed, and said that the death toll would've been even higher if it wasn't for that.

re: the fire happening in the middle of the night

It's currently Ramadan, so a lot of people were awake to eat the pre-dawn meal and woke up their neighbours to get out.

The BBC mentioned it earlier on their live feed, and said that the death toll would've been even higher if it wasn't for that.

There are a few videos circulating where people who were told to get out/rescued were saying the same thing.

Interesting side story to the tragedy.

cntr

Banned
I didn't realize it before, but the first response firefighters wouldn't have known how bad the fire really was until they got there. Wow.

Fucking pond scum, the people responsible for this.

I didn't realize it before, but the first response firefighters wouldn't have known how bad the fire really was until they got there. Wow.

Fucking pond scum, the people responsible for this.

It's one of those things that's likely difficult to describe on the radio - or otherwise, to sell the sheer enormity of it. Like, you'd think maybe five floors if it were anything significant - hell, ten floors would be pretty damn bad.

But twenty fucking floors ablaze? That's just impossible to think of beforehand.

Double posting, but the Panorama report has started.

Edit:
So, apparently firefighters were actually able to put out the fire in the initial flat while it was still early. But thanks to the cladding, it wasn't really contained as it should have been.

The Fire and Safety Group were complaining about this up to two months ago. They felt that the urgency of threat to life wasn't considered.

In the end, mostly a summation of news through the week, though it clearly deems both the council and the government to be at fault. Luka and the old lady made me cry.

Four ministers were warned about tower block fire risks via BBC

Key excerpts

Four separate government ministers were warned that fire regulations were not keeping people safe, in letters that have subsequently been seen by the BBC.
In the leaked letters, experts warn that those living in tower blocks like Grenfell Tower were "at risk".

The letters show experts have been worried about fire safety in tower blocks for years. Following a fatal fire in Lakanal House in south London in 2009, a series of recommendations were made to keep people safe. They were ignored. The government promised a review of fire regulations in 2013, but it still has not happened.

The government department promised a review in 2013, but it was soon delayed.
In March 2014, the parliamentary group wrote: "Surely… when you already have credible evidence to justify updating… the guidance… which will lead to saving of lives, you don't need to wait another three years in addition to the two already spent since the research findings were updated, in order to take action?

"As there are estimated to be another 4,000 older tower blocks in the UK, without automatic sprinkler protection, can we really afford to wait for another tragedy to occur before we amend this weakness?"

After further correspondence, Liberal Democrat MP Steven Williams - who was then a minister in the department - replied: "I have neither seen nor heard anything that would suggest that consideration of these specific potential changes is urgent and I am not willing to disrupt the work of this department by asking that these matters are brought forward."

The group replied to say they "were at a loss to understand, how you had concluded that credible and independent evidence, which had life safety implications, was NOT considered to be urgent".

"As a consequence the group wishes to point out to you that should a major fire tragedy, with loss of life, occur between now and 2017 in, for example, a residential care facility or a purpose built block of flats, where the matters which had been raised here, were found to be contributory to the outcome, then the group would be bound to bring this to others' attention."

This shit is inexcusable and that Liberal Democrat (and his Conversative counterparts) should all face jail time.

robo

I really do hope that they right to the top in this but I don't believe they will.

The government will blame everyone but themselves, but maybe just maybe the PCS and HSE have the balls to go after them.

At the end of the day this was all about Money and not paying for the upgrades or remidial work required.

To flat out ignore and try and justify going against the amount of evidence presented, hope they are charged with manslaughter and go away for a very longtime.

Breakage

Saw last night's Panorama. Quite damning to be honest. The way the flames quickly made their way up the tower was incredible. The firefighters' footage was something I had not seen before.

cntr

Banned
Nobody will be prosecuted just a little bit of condemning until everybody forgets about it in a month or two.
Then go out and protest so that they don't forget about it. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't, but sitting around and wringing your hands achieves nothing.

People've already said stuff like "young people won't vote in elections" and "people will forget about this fire in a few days", yet look where we are.

SKINNER!

Banned
Nobody will be prosecuted just a little bit of condemning until everybody forgets about it in a month or two.

yup. Did any politicians get prosecuted for the MP expenses scandal or the financial crisis? Probably not. Given it a month or two and let it blow over is what they'll probably say.

groansey

Look forward to those responsible being brought to justice in 30 years time when they're either dead or senile.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.

Ooooh, that's just insulting. A paltry sum.

Those people lost everything and will likely need counselling / support for the rest of their lives.

Will watch this later, thanks!

Top Bottom