• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Massive's Snowdrop Engine: The Division

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What games actually have GI?

Tomorrow Children is the only one as far as I know.

Which makes it all the more understandable that the game nixed it.

Still hoping that Massive may add it back in on PC somewhere along the line assuming online community and post launch support keep up.

The Last of Us on PS3/4 faked it kind of. Which was still very impressive.

Digital Foundry

Naughty Dog employs a distinct global illumination system that replicates the effect of sunlight bouncing around the environment, providing subtle variations in the way locations are lit and shaded. Direct light sources - the sun, torches and gunfire - are rendered dynamically in real-time, casting their own shadows, while secondary and ambient lights are achieved via baking (pre-calculating) these elements into the environments using dynamic light maps. The end result is that locations appear natural and contain plenty of depth.

1.bmp.jpg

I still don't get why destiny keeps being brought up in every division thread. It's such an unfounded comparison.

This seems to me like willfull ignorance. The two games systems and content are both derived from similarly MMO lite concepts and are comparable in many aspects.

Tomorrow Children is the only one as far as I know.

Which makes it all the more understandable that the game nixed it.

Still hoping that Massive may add it back in on PC somewhere along the line assuming online community and post launch support keep up.

The Last of Us on PS3/4 faked it for some specific scenes. Which was still impressive.
Just remembered, kingdom come: deliverance has it too.
https://youtu.be/PEfqtOYjolE
Uses Cryengines SVOTI tech.

Dave_6

I agree that what I played of the beta Friday night (on PS4) had quite a bit of input lag, to the point I turned up the sensitivity on aiming and the camera to 50%. I still wasn't happy with it, it just feels slow to me. Granted I have been playing a lot on my PC lately so that was probably compounding the issue for me.

Raven117

This seems to me like willfull ignorance. The two games systems and content are both derived from similarly MMO lite concepts and are comparable in many aspects.

As far as the Beta goes, I feel it has much more in common with Diablo III than it does Destiny.

I didn't get much of the MMO-lite feel (yet).

The game looks very very good, especially given the size and scope of the world. The only real complaint I have is the atrocious pop-in, but they had to make compromises somewhere I guess.

The game does have some form of indirect re-lighting ou doors, see this below:

Red circled is indirect lighting, bounce light here from the sun.
indirect_lightingeoj1o.png

But how much of that is just screen space effects (SSR + SSAO)?

This is what that bounce light looks like when out of screen space influence.
indirect_lighting_worjqkx4.png

How is it being done? IDK. Does it taken into account dynamic objects? IDK. Is it baked out per hour? IDK.

theWB27

I'm not gonna create a thread..but I'd be willing to discuss why the comparison doesn't make sense elsewhere.

I really like the game and think it looks amazing at times (I've only seen PS4). However, some of the the side-by-side comparison shots (certainly the top 5/6) do look significantly different. Almost a generational difference in some cases. The differences remind me of the differences between ROTR on both XB1 and 360. Although that is a comparison between a still relatively young platform and a totally maxed out previous generation machine, with a fantastic port stretching it to near breaking point.

As the OP says though, what we've ended up with remains fantastic. The snow effects during blizzards mixed with the lighting is really atmospheric.

The game looks very very good, especially given the size and scope of the world. The only real complaint I have is the atrocious pop-in, but they had to make compromises somewhere I guess.

I noticed a fair bit last night, but I feel like giving it a pass here for some reason as elsewhere they have really excelled themselves.

What games actually have GI?

A zillion of them. 99 percent of them baked.

This has been a thing for a long time, same with stuff like ambient occlusion. The difference is these things were baked into a light map because doing it in real time is incredibly costly. So there are barely any games doing GI in real time.

The most notable early example I can think of games using global illumination is the baked radiosity in Quake II.

Yeah looks good. Ofcourse never trust ubi's own shots, but the actual beta footage allready looks good.
Now hope for more tuning to get the most out of each platform.

thelastword

Banned
OP keep in mind that all of the graphical features you listed (which made it to the beta build) are par for the course for many games in 2013 and after (even before), also keep in mind that outside of reduction or removal of G.I, that many of the game's assets have also been dialed back, including some of the graphical features you specified.

Let's be clear here, most of the graphical features that you see here in this 30fps game were present in BF4 at 60fps. I still feel they did a good job with IQ, rez and AA, pbr is solid, but your comparison shots sprung dice into my mind for some reason. A 30fps shooter with G.I seems like it would be up their alley. Anyway, I must applaud this dev for a solid IQ and solid performance.

I remember that post calling the game a ps3 game and that just confirmed the extreme nature of GAF that even suprises me. The Division is a technical marvel. It is one of the best examples of my great hope for this generation, massively detailed open worlds that opt for detail instead aimless size. The amount of little details in the environment is damn impressive. Truly just wondering around Manhattan is amazing. Also the fore effects are surprisingly good.

tuxfool

Banned

Too long ago I'm afraid. It wasn't a big deal so it didn't get widespread circulation. IIRC the discussion was centred around the fact that they would be reducing quality across the board simply because it wasn't justified to produce separate assets for different platforms.

KORNdoggy

could someone test the car glass breaking dynamics in a video? in the original footage there seemed to be a complex simulation going on. shooting holes in close proximity made the sections in between fall away realistically (basically a more realistic version of what happens in resistance fall of man). so you could essentially "cut out" holes in glass with gunfire. another thing that impressed me in the reveal but i've not seen in footage so far. same goes for the billboard bullet holes with light passing through. is that still present and correct?

How is the X1 Version holding up? Curious to hear some honest opinions from those who may have tested multiple versions. I tried to but couldn't get keys.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Living in NYC during the winter triggers my Seasonal Affective Disorder enough, now I have to play a game in it too??! :p

Game looks extremely impressive. I was pleasantly surprised when trying out the beta, since I had read a fair few comments here about how terrible it now looked.

BigTnaples

could someone test the car glass breaking dynamics in a video? in the original footage there seemed to be a complex simulation going on. shooting holes in close proximity made the sections in between fall away realistically (basically a more realistic version of what happens in resistance fall of man). so you could essentially "cut out" holes in glass with gunfire. another thing that impressed me in the reveal but i've not seen in footage so far. same goes for the billboard bullet holes with light passing through. is that still present and correct?

division_glasselud1.gif

TUqxDby.gif

BigTnaples

another thing that impressed me in the reveal but i've not seen in footage so far. same goes for the billboard bullet holes with light passing through. is that still present and correct?

Also, from the OP.

Like I said, I only took screenshots for around 1 hour. So kind of worked with what conditions I had.

No reason if the sun was behind that the volumetric lighting wouldn't sent shafts through still.

You can shoot holes in cloth, wood, glass, and thats what I found just in that single hour of play.

The no loading screens during this Beta have stood out to me as being an excellent feature of this engine.

Except for the couple of story-based cutscenes, you are always in-game. It is a stark contrast to even excellent recent games such as Fallout 4. I know it might not be a "fair" comparison due to the size of Fallout's world, but still it's noticeable.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Going by a pure graphics perspective:

This one is easily the saddest I think. The picture on the right looks like a level editor screenshot with all effects disabled. It hardly even looks like there's any lighting at all. The skybox is also gone or covered up.

The game does have some form of indirect re-lighting ou doors, see this below:

Red circled is indirect lighting, bounce light here from the sun.
indirect_lightingeoj1o.png

But how much of that is just screen space effects (SSR + SSAO)?

This is what that bounce light looks like when out of screen space influence.
indirect_lighting_worjqkx4.png

How is it being done? IDK. Does it taken into account dynamic objects? IDK. Is it baked out per hour? IDK.

Looks like a very primitive screen space reflection. Basically they take the lightest parts of the screen, and reflect it at super low blurred resolutions on objects with set to reflect it in it's materials properties. That or dynamic cubemap (It's been so long since I've worked with those, I'm not sure how good they've gotten).

As for the second picture, looks like generic baked lighting to me. The issue I have here is look at the trash bags in your first picture. Notice that inbetween them, it's almost black in terms of lighting? Then look at the I beam girders, and it's all lit up in there. It looks flat because of that and unnatural.

edit: Hit submit button early darn it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Yes the lightning is totally amazing.

Yet the interactivity with the world is non existent. A nice looking world with no way to interact with the enviroments.

Meh

MMaRsu

Banned
i made cars explode, i think

Well yeah that.. and the awesome thing where you can shoot out entire windows killi g enemies behind them, even dark windows.

But thats it sadly. No bulletholes in the ground or puddles, shooting a christmas tree with balls in them just made the bullets go through them.

Those are the kind of details I pay attention too.

Sadly most games dont seem more interactive than Half Life

BigTnaples

Yes the lightning is totally amazing.

Yet the interactivity with the world is non existent. A nice looking world with no way to interact with the enviroments.

Meh

Huh? If anything its one of the more interactive environments in recent memory.

Cars shocks move as you jump on them, car doors shut by your hand or even by shooting them, glass, wood, cloth, cardboard, and cement are all destructible, there are thousands of physics enabled objects littering the city that react to both the player, and explosions/gun fire, snow build up, melts, etc, you can shoot out lights, knock them over, shoot LCD screens, shoot holes in lamp shades, light spilt oil/gas on fire, shoot fire extinguishers, propane tanks, gas cans, Microwaves, etc, you can interact with or kill several different forms of wildlife in the game, as well as hundreds of NPC's on the streets and in buildings that react directly to your actions.

On and on and on.

Compared with other games of this type (Open World/ MMOish), the interactivity is off the charts...

Going by a pure graphics perspective:

This one is easily the saddest I think. The picture on the right looks like a level editor screenshot with all effects disabled. It hardly even looks like there's any lighting at all. The skybox is also gone or covered up.

Looks like a very primitive screen space reflection. Basically they take the lightest parts of the screen, and reflect it at super low blurred resolutions on objects with set to reflect it in it's materials properties. That or dynamic cubemap (It's been so long since I've worked with those, I'm not sure how good they've gotten).

As for the second picture, looks like generic baked lighting to me. The issue I have here is look at the trash bags in your first picture. Notice that inbetween them, it's almost black in terms of lighting? Then look at the I beam girders, and it's all lit up in there. It looks flat because of that and unnatural.

edit: Hit submit button early darn it.
Fully in agreement with you. Hence why I made the two images to show the difference in how SSR and SSAO is doing most of the visual work in the first screen.

Whether or not that second image showcases some low frequenc indirect lighting via a cubemap? No idea. I would really not know how to isolate and say that is so for certain.

Top Bottom