• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mattis issues new ultimatum to NATO allies on defense spending

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only countries that have any real cause to worry about Russia are the Baltic States. Russia doesn't share any direct borders with anyone else, and the Russian military isn't up to the task of running 100km+ offensives.
And the Baltic States falling would shift the paradigm of power I Europe back to the Russian sphere of influence as opposed to the EU.

It's much more than just acting as a deterrent force for a few Baltic Sea states and Poland.

Hari Seldon

exactly

the alternative would be spending this money on social programs, but US citizens have been indoctrinated by "support our troops," "bootstraps" bullshit

Step #1 to spending this money on social programs is to remove the need to spend the money on the military. Whenever a Dem comes along and says "We need to reduce military spending" the easiest rebuttal is "Putin!". And they are right! What if the answer instead is "Don't worry, Germany and France can handle Putin."

The only countries that have any real cause to worry about Russia are the Baltic States. Russia doesn't share any direct borders with anyone else, and the Russian military isn't up to the task of running 100km+ offensives.

Poland can take care of themselves, the Baltic States are indefensible though, and they've always been indefensible.

It's in their economic interests to keep the Baltic states sovereign. Instability on their doorstep only will only spread. Having a rapid reaction force ready to deploy is in everyone's interest.

Morat

Banned
Mattis: you guys need to be buying more weapons from us.

Exactly. I personally support more EU coordination on defense, as standardisation could reduce costs while reducing dependency on the US.

EDIT

And it would mean that Europe, unlike the UK, would not get tied in to insane products of the military industrial complex like the f35b.

kmag

This is laughable in regards to NATO. European capitals need it to not worry about Russia. Europe has no defense without NATO

You do realise if Germany spent 2% of GDP on defense it would spend about $15bn a year more than Russia. As it is the UK almost matches Russian spend (of course it largely squanders it on BAE producted tat but still)

The Russian bogeyman is overstated at least in military terms. In a conventional conflict, it's unlikely Russia could for instance successfully invade Germany even if you take NATO off the board. Germany defensive forces outstrip Russias rather limited force projection capabilities by some way.

ElFly

the reasonable thing would be for the US to drop their spending accordingly, not to have everyone start spending more. I don't doubt some countries may go by spending the minimum and trusting NATO to have their backs, but jeez, this smacks of America wanting to drum up business in the defense area

Mattis: you guys need to be buying more weapons from us.

more concisely put

4Tran

And the Baltic States falling would shift the paradigm of power I Europe back to the Russian sphere of influence as opposed to the EU.

It's much more than just acting as a deterrent force for a few Baltic Sea states and Poland.
Sure, but if Russia really wanted the Baltic States, they'd be able to take them with or without NATO intervention. Military force isn't the primary deterrent here.

MUnited83

For you.
No issue with this, the problem is that I don't see how many of the NATO countries can afford it. But they agreed to it so.. find a way so the US tax payer isn't always getting stiffed with the bill.

Lol, US tax payer will still get stiffed with the bill of their completely and utterly insane defense budget.

Why should the US pay so much for others security that they don't want to pay for?

If you want defense, help pay for it. If not. Then you didn't have to join NATO
The US doesn't give a shit. They do it for their own benefit. Not only that, the US has brought Nato allies to help on their fucking pointless destructive wars that have long-lasting consequences still today.

sphinx

the piano man
my opinion is that US should lower its budget or just bail out of the agreement if it feels it gets the short end of the stick.

different countries with different prorities, it happens.

Yes, because SE Asia is where most resources should be directed.
Europe as whole is largely inept when I'm comes to crisis. Obama had to wrangle France into stopping the sale of Warships to Russia while it was invading Ukraine.

And outside of Australia, what country in SE Asia could the US rely on to defend the region from China?

Hari Seldon

The US cares. Personally, I'm all for a stronger EU and dimishing Amerian influence. The US has become a bit of a ball&chain.

The US Cares? You mean like career ivy league politicians? The average american gives zero fucks and just wants healthcare and jobs and shit. Oh and to not die in a war halfway around the world.

This nebulous idea of "influence" bothers me lol. Lets spend billions and billions and billions of dollars for this fake currency monopoly money called influence. I want to see the receipts. What do we get out of "influence" and is it worth what we are spending?

Boney

Banned
The US Cares? You mean like career ivy league politicians? The average american gives zero fucks and just wants healthcare and jobs and shit. Oh and to not die in a war halfway around the world.

This nebulous idea of "influence" bothers me lol. Lets spend billions and billions and billions of dollars for this fake currency monopoly money called influence. I want to see the receipts. What do we get out of "influence" and is it worth what we are spending?
I mean, just read anything Kissinger

maybe the can do internal defense spending based on research, etc...

at least via that you can grow your economy and also use that research for other sectors

oti

Banned
I remember when Tsipras visited the EU Parliament he got accused of spending too much money on the military while Greece was just fulfilling the agreement.

my opinion is that US should lower its budget or just bail out of the agreement if it feels it gets the short end of the stick.

different countries with different prorities, it happens.

But we only have different priorities because US is sticking around in Europe.

We in Germany are especially oblivious to that. Spending 1,x% vs 2,x% of GDP p.a. on defense can make up a difference of ~ 50 billion / year.
Uuuge as Trump would put it...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Not nuclear forces though. I think France is the only one that maintains a nuclear triad - land based, air delivered and subs.

As far i i know the estimated power index of Germany, Italy, France and Britain combined compares to that of Russia. If Germany wanted to, they could outspend Russia alone.

What the fuck are you talking about?

well maybe such small things as Germany partaking in a invasion without a UN resolution - but hey, you know who called them.

Step #1 to spending this money on social programs is to remove the need to spend the money on the military. Whenever a Dem comes along and says "We need to reduce military spending" the easiest rebuttal is "Putin!". And they are right! What if the answer instead is "Don't worry, Germany and France can handle Putin."

Not really. It would immediately just go to nukes if there was ever actual war between Russia and the US. The cost of an air/naval/ground based war would be absurd.

Matt

There is nothing inherently wrong with asking the NATO allies to honor their own commitments, and his language was was pointed but not rude or threatening.

This is way closer to how Obama was speaking about the issue than Trump was previously.

If the US would want to cut part of their defense spending while the NATO members raise it in response, this would be a fair demand. It isn't though. They literally want to spend even more on defense. And hitting some arbitrary 2% guideline really isn't the point of this. I'd rather we would not spend more on defense for the sake of hitting a guideline, but instead spend as much as we need to.

Edit: Europe should definitely up their spending on defense though.

Kthulhu

This is the right approach from Mattis and it is fair.

But Trump will destroy any negotiation on this and no NATO allies are going to be willing to change terms or anything because they will just be suspect he is trying to somehow aid Putin. He's gone after NATO in such a ridiculous, bombastic way I don't see anything changing under Trump.

This is an important thing to remember. Trump most likely wants to kill NATO, or at least weaken it.

Woorloog

Banned
No, that's a logical response. If that's what was agreed upon to be in NATO, then that amount needs to be paid, or don't be part of it. Something tells me the prospect of the latter will make them find a way to afford it.

It was not an agreed amount but a guideline. As it is, the US just wants everyone (including the US) to spend more, for no real reason. For defense, you don't need absurd amount of money, only enough to form a deterrence. Less than 2% is enough for that.

Europe should pay more towards defense. But the US should also realize their spending is not just for NATO, but also their other activities in the Middle-east and Asia. So the direct comparison of numbers is not totally fair.

Europe should pay more towards defense. But the US should also realize their spending is not just for NATO, but also their other activities in the Middle-east and Asia. So the direct comparison of numbers is not totally fair.
I think people are getting too hung up on the 2% number. His overall point is "put more in and we will put less in".

nacimento

I'm all for Germany spending 2%, maybe get some nukes to have something worthwhile to spend it on. But then all the other countries will start crying around. Damned if you don't, damned if you do.

Ac30

I somehow doubt our European friends want Germany to have the biggest military on the continent again.

I certainly wouldn't care much. At this point they're one of the few countries with their heads screwed on straight, and they're far and away Europe's premier economy. This would probably be harder to sell at home than in Europe. People are far more afraid of Russia than they are of the fourth Reich

I'm all for Germany spending 2%, maybe get some nukes to have something worthwhile to spend it on. But then all the other countries will start crying around. Damned if you don't, damned if you do.

I don't see why they would. Out of all the Europe countries at risk of slipping back into facism. Germany is definitely at the bottom of that list. Plus it's something they all agreed to anyways. If this was a problem for them it should've been a concern when NATO was first created not 20 years later.

SRG01

No.

Most countries in Europe buy weapons made in EU. Smaller countries may buy old US stock occasionally. Bigger countries mostly just buy US stuff that is not produced in Europe.

Yeah, I don't think a lot of people understand the size of some European military companies...

ooh yeah also this..
Weren't current f-16 with up to date modules almost comparable if not better, except for stealth?

The F-35 is inferior to most fighters in deployment because it's meant as a jack-of-all-trades piece of tech.

We're also seeing a migration towards drone warfare, so the F-35 is in a weird spot...

drawkcaB

Speaking as a Canadian, I'd very much like to see an increase in our military budget, but I don't know how we'd ever get close to 2%. Recruitment levels are stable and citizens aren't exactly being turned away from signing up, so a flat increase in the size of the Canadian Forces isn't on the table. We don't have the sort of historical links that would require a higher military budget for the purposes of rapid and robust intervention (e.g. France's recent participation in Mali). We're a mid-sized power whose defense R&D is correctly targeted at supporting our allies' industries and filling small niches, so significantly increasing R&D wouldn't really achieve much of anything.

We have some long standing military purchases that must be made, and I'm sure we could benefit from improved training facilities and increasing pay. But doubling our military budget would mean an extra 18B per year in defense spending. Even if by some miracle we were able to sort out all the procurement issues and make those purchases immediately (LOL) within a few years we'd have bought all the new and replacement equipment we need. And then what? Just blow 15B+ (assuming the purchases would increase the yearly maintenance costs by 3B, which is really generous) on things we don't even need or want just for the purposes of saying we've reached the target goal - a goal that was made when the West was facing an actual existential threat from the communist block?

I'd rather grab the bulk of that extra spending and help America with its overseas humanitarian efforts. It's a roundabout way to relieve US military spending and worldwide obligations without having to buy military equipment that will just gather dust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom