• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mattrick goes Clintonesque, claims first to 10M in U.S, re-iterates "1st to 10M wins"

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080514/tc_nm/microsoft_xbox_dc_2

Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Wednesday its Xbox 360 game machine beat Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii and Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 to reach 10 million units in U.S. sales.

"History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle," Don Mattrick, a Microsoft senior vice president who heads the company's Xbox business, said in a statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080514/tc_nm/microsoft_xbox_dc_2

I guess it's wise to claim it while you can aye?

oh wait, this is NEW?

Xbox 360 reaches 10 million U.S. sales before Wii or PS3

13 minutes ago

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Wednesday its Xbox 360 game machine beat Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii and Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 to reach 10 million units in U.S. sales.

:lol :lol :lol

Microsoft also said global membership of its Xbox Live online service reached 12 million members.

OH SNAP

I honestly think Microsoft has a shot at maintaining second place worldwide if they can get a Blu-Ray drive into the Elite this holiday. That combined with some sort of price drop for the Arcade and Pro.

a Master Ninja said:
I honestly think Microsoft has a shot at maintaining second place worldwide if they can get a Blu-Ray drive into the Elite this holiday.

Not a chance for either of them. MS' non-existence in Japan and stuttering in Europe will ultimately cost them the race.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

schuelma

Ashhong said:
they cant really think that they are going to "win" over the wii can they?

I'm sure they don't, but it's good P.R I think. Like I said, make hay while the sun shines and all that.

Vandiger

Took the PS2 like a year to get 10M? I guess after what almost 2.5 years now, its suddenly an achievement. Whoop-de-doo :p

Struct09

1zp775w.jpg

ok here's a handy checklist for those formulating a response:

1) mention the wii
2) talk about "shipped" vs. "sold"
3) mention "us only"
4) throw in a RROD jibe
5) top it off with some snarky joke

you'll be all set.

carry on.. don't disappoint me :)

FrankT

SeaOfMadness said:

1) mention the wii
3) mention "us only"
4) throw in a RROD jibe

you'll be all set.

:lol

spot on

sounds like pre-NPD damage control to me.

"We may have finished third in April for next-gen console sales, but first to 10 million BITCHES!!!"

schuelma

:lol :lol :lol Great title change. I tried to think of something clever but I thought to myself the friendly mods will take care of that, and sure enough they did!

MikeB

Banned
Jtyettis said:
12 million on Live, impressive.

No doubt they will surpass the orginal Xbox in the US by far.

A vast majority of them being free Silver accounts (no online multiplayer) to download demos. Some may have created an account for a free Gold month promotion (I got this with Gears) or free month RRoD compensation.

With regard to hardware sales, the Wii will hit 11 million first for the US. The Wii and then after this the PS3 will hit 10 million for Japan before the 360 hits 1 million (if it ever comes to that point). For Europe the PS3 has outsold the 360 already and the Wii will be first to hit 10 million. :lol

tha_con said:
I wonder if MS will ever announce the Gold / Silver split among XBL members?

i believe they've said in the past that the "majority" of Live subscribers are paying members, but that's a bit vague.

i guess in the grand scheme of things, does it really matter? psn has 0% paying.

MikeB said:
A vast majority of them being free Silver accounts (no online multiplayer) to download demos. Some may have created an account for a free Gold month promotion (I got this with Gears) or free month RRoD compensation.

With regard to hardware sales, the Wii will hit 11 million first for the US. The Wii and then after this the PS3 will hit 10 million for Japan before the 360 hits 1 million (if it ever comes to that point). For Europe the PS3 has outsold the 360 already and the Wii will be first to hit 10 million. :lol

nice job dude, you hit on pretty much all of my checklist points.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DeaconKnowledge said:
Not a chance for either of them. MS' non-existence in Japan and stuttering in Europe will ultimately cost them the race.

This.

Especially after their price drop strategy failed in Europe.

arne

SeaOfMadness said:

1) mention the wii
3) mention "us only"
4) throw in a RROD jibe

you'll be all set.

you missed the one from post #24 -- NPD damage control. otherwise, very very good.

FrankT

Kagari said:
Plus, isn't the Wii at 10 million in the US yet?

Not quite, but if they do 700k for April they will be just 500k shy of the goal. By May NPD they will almost certainly be there. It will take June or possibly even July NPD to surpass the 360 I believe, but that is where Reggie was banking on anways.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Jtyettis said:
Not quite, but if they do 700k for April they will be just 500k shy of the goal.

In either case, isn't the 360 at like... 17 million world wide? After 2 1/2 years? Wii is at what, 20 million after 1 1/2? And PS3 is at almost 13 million after 1 1/2? Yeah, I don't think MS has anything to be gloating about here.

May 14th, 2009 - SEATTLE (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Wednesday its Xbox 360 game machine beat Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS) Wii and Sony Corp's (6758.T) PlayStation 3 to reach 10 million units in U.S. sales.

"History has shown us that the first company to reach 10 million in console sales wins the generation battle," Shane Kim, corporate vice president of Microsoft Game Studios, said in a statement.

The Xbox 360 was the first of this latest generation of game machines to launch in the United States when it was released in November 2005. The PS3 and Wii were launched in the United States a year later.

The Wii is closing in on the Xbox 360, with 18.8 million units sold as of the end of March, while Sony has totaled 14.1 million PS3 units sold, according to market research firm NPD.

Shane Kim also said global membership of its Xbox Live online service reached 5 million members.

FrankT

Kagari said:
In either case, isn't the 360 at like... 17 million world wide? After 2 1/2 years? Wii is at what, 20 million after 1 1/2? And PS3 is at almost 13 million after 1 1/2? Yeah, I don't think MS has anything to be gloating about here.

WW shipment figures are around ~24.5 million Wii, 19 million 360, 13 million PS3 at the end of March.

I think what defines a "win" in this generation has clearly changed.

Microsoft has (and will continue to) make much more money than the Wii while the Wii has outsold the 360. That said, what is a "win"

Most consoles in the most homes or the person making the most money with the most active gamers?

Top Bottom