• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mattrick goes Clintonesque, claims first to 10M in U.S, re-iterates "1st to 10M wins"

PhatSaqs

Banned
legend166 said:
If you want to play the "Wii isn't in the same market as the 360" card then you've got to acknowledge that the 360 and PS3 are doing horribly compared to previous generations.
You think higher prices could have anything to do with that?

Deku

Banned
It is sad that it takes the physical act of emphathizing in a political race where the overwhelming favorite was unseated for people to clue into the ridiculousness of the exercise being played out by some in the gaming side.

The whole disingenous hardcore vs. casual argument where these vague demographics are summoned to support arguments built on quicksand is/was and will be clintonesque.
Big states = hardcore.

AndyD

aka andydumi
DeaconKnowledge said:
Not a chance for either of them. MS' non-existence in Japan and stuttering in Europe will ultimately cost them the race.

Ditto. Any console needs to be universally successful. Not necessarily top, but doing well in all. Otherwise, in subsequent generations they become more and more typecast in development and installer base until they will eventually limit their market to one area.

Jokeropia

Vandiger said:
Took the PS2 like a year to get 10M?
21 months.
QuickKick89 said:
You know? I don't mind that the Wii isn't included here. I hate to play right into MS's hands, but it has to be said...the Wii isn't competing. It's in its own market, and its having great success because of that, and the fact that the Wii doesn't have the same feature-set, third-party support, and overall game quality just doesn't make me feel that it should be mentioned with the other two.
It shouldn't count because you subjectively don't like it. Sorry, but that's retarted.

andthebeatgoeson

Opiate said:
I don't think this is absolutely true, but certainly more so than in historic console races. Pretty much all products have some overlap: even GTA IV was said to bite into Iron Man's earnings, for example, and those products aren't even in the same sector of the entertainment industry.

Regardless of how much overlap in demographics there is for these devices (that's a 20 page thread in itself), I think one should note that people can't have their cake and eat it too. Many people will site Nintendo's blue ocean strategy (which is brilliant, and is working), but then those same people will turn around and insist the Wii is competing with the PS360. You can't have it both ways -- the whole point of the blue ocean strategy is to distance yourself from your competitors and open up new markets, and if this strategy is working, you can't turn around and insist that they're all in the same market, after all. One or the other.

Again, I personally think both are partially true: the blue ocean strategy is working to a good extent, but it certainly isn't absolute. The Wii and PS360 are in the same market to a degree, but also partly not. It's a gray area that would, again, require a 20+ page thread to really discuss properly, and frankly, even then, I'm not sure we have the demographic information necessary to reach solid conclusions.
I clicked reply before I read you 3rd paragraph. But my thoughts are this: If neither PS3 nor 360 approach sales of the PS2, lined up by launch, then, yes, the Wii is in the same sphere and damaging them severely. If it was seperate markets, then they could easily be on track for 100 million units WW by the end of the generation. Otherwise, the market is undergoing a severe contraction. Different demographics but same market.

Top Bottom