• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Anarchy (JP) |OT| Bayonetta Too

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Welp, finally Platinum'd the game over the weekend.

I can safely say I don't really like the single player much at all. Hard mode was extremely disappointing in general. but it does its job for people that want that kind of thing out of this game I guess.

I planned on getting all the Platinum Medals, but lost interest after realizing it was actually easier in Hard mode than Normal and Easy because of how the scoring system works.

Just gonna spend the rest of my time exclusively in multi. Probably play the rest of this week before shelving the game for Persona until Western release.

Love this game, but holy geez Hard Mode. Playing through Normal was a cakewalk, but I can't even get past Durga on White Side/Chap 1 on Hard.

That doesn't bode well for what's going to happen when I finally dive into multiplayer.

Durga is probably harder than any fight on Black Side and probably most of the rest of the White Side fights, so don't feel too bad.

There's no real scaling difficulty in this game. Every boss character is just a suped up version of themselves(more damage faster recovery and startup on all moves and a bunch of perks like lean extender and charge attacker) so difficulty is really just dependent on how that lends itself to their already existing kit.(Durga's dash attack is REALLY annoying in this mode)

It's kind of a mess for some fights(White Side 1-1 and 1-3) and while others remain just as simple as they were in previous difficulty levels.

akaoni

Banned
Anyone knows if Play-Asia still has codes for bayonetta? I really want this game bad but I don't want it if I can't get Bayo.

I ordered a copy exactly a week ago. Arrived today with the Bayonetta code. They don't specifically state whether you get the code or not, just have to try your luck. Worst case scenario; offer to buy the code from someone else for a handsome fee?

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Love this game, but holy geez Hard Mode. Playing through Normal was a cakewalk, but I can't even get past Durga on White Side/Chap 1 on Hard.

That doesn't bode well for what's going to happen when I finally dive into multiplayer.

Like Retro was saying, the way Hard Mode increases the difficulty is all through really artificial stuff like stacking perks on enemies and reducing their startup/recovery times. Multiplayer is a level playing field (minus a Master Evader/Guard Master perk here and there), so I wouldn't worry too much about encountering the same sorts of frustration online.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Please don't get more people playing that annoying scrubby character

Nothing more annoying than cheesy Douglas players in lag in this game

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
How hard is it compared to platinuming Bayonetta and Vanquish?

Not hard at all. More tedious than anything.

I made it harder on myself than need be in doing about 4 playthroughs though. You only really need two complete playthroughs to unlock all the stages in stage select, then you can just knock the rest out through that.

Like Vanquish and Bayonetta(for PP runs) the no death achievement can be gamed by just quitting to the main menu when you die. but unlike those games you really shouldn't be dying that much, outside some of the crazier hard mode fights. I actually got it legit in this game.

but yeah nothing like Challenge 4 and 6 or NSIC in this game between you and the Platinum.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Please don't get more people playing that annoying scrubby character

Nothing more annoying than cheesy Douglas players in lag in this game

Never.

If it's not team battle or something I'm just playing Douglas from now on. If theres more people in the game or if it's deathball or something then Durga I guess.

Team Battle is so fun as well. I love all the support perks.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What an awful human being

One day people will learn to tech grabs or that they can evade on wake up after throws and you'll get what's coming to you!

Is it me or does the game seem a bit blurry? I haven't played SP or MP yet but from the menu's and what not a lot of it seems blurry.

Tried looking for a maybe SD/HDTV mode option in the options menu but couldn't find it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's not as tight as single player games designed for single player

Yeah that's technically true I guess

Just hopped online. If anyone is interested...

PS3 - Frostu

I'm down for any game type, had a blast earlier in survival. Just finished up some intense tag death matches. Got creamed in most, but still having a great time.

Edge Import Review

"Is Platinum Games' online brawler another Bayonetta, or another MadWorld?"

6/10

That's the same exact score they gave Madworld, actually.

I don't get this game for a few more days. Would the folks here say it's AS good as Madworld?

I thought Madworld was quite entertaining.

OH, and just so we can tally this up a bit, here's BBC UK's review: http://bbc-worldnews.net/2012/07/anarchy-reigns-review-platinum-to-the-max/ (it got a 9, just like Eurogamer and Famitsu)

papasmurf1038

Neo Member
Goodness, Durga's slide (delayed light attack) and the heavy attack that follows it are beastly. Still haven't figured out a good way to counter them in the cage.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
What's the mode where you wave of baddies with other folks? It's like a Horde mode.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Eh...Single Player is better in MadWorld.

I think both are pretty half baked.

I personally give the edge to Anarchy for replay value with the trophy pack, but I think both are worth playing if you're going to bother comparing the two.

but yeah if you're considering importing this for solely for the Single player, I wouldn't. Buy it next year when it releases over here but don't import

Shizzlee

Damn, I almost imported this but got a Nexus instead. Maybe later on in the month I can show people the power of wackbot. Demo online is dead. :(

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Same is true for the full version sadly.

Or maybe I just don't get on during peak times, but quick match usually yields one or two rooms and I don't have time to wait for my own to fill up

Kinda sad, but I had my fun with it. This will probably be my last week playing it though

Keasar

Or maybe I just don't get on during peak times, but quick match usually yields one or two rooms and I don't have time to wait for my own to fill up

Kinda sad, but I had my fun with it. This will probably be my last week playing it though

I think a western release will give it a healthy kick to start up again.

And Platinum, if you read this, please try to get Local support patched in. :(

lol better than zero rooms i another Sega game, Binary Domain. I've been the one generally getting games together in there, and you need a minimum of 6 players to start. I've friended about 20 randoms.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
lol better than zero rooms i another Sega game, Binary Domain. I've been the one generally getting games together in there, and you need a minimum of 6 players to start. I've friended about 20 randoms.

Well it's the focus here. With Binary Domain you still have a pretty decent single player campaign. Quite frankly I just don't see the value of purchasing this in a couple months when the multiplayer has all bled what's left of its playerbase.

Gonna try to get some friends to buy western release copies and play regularly when that time comes I guess. Import Gaf didn't really work out as I'd hoped on this. :(

Anyways I think myself and Papasmurf on here are going to be on IGN's stream vs some of the developers tonight. Should check it out

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
That was more fun than I've had with the game in a while. Makes me hopeful for connections come western release.

Rad Agast

Picked this up last night. Played a bit of the campaign to get a feel for it. Does Jack get more moves than what he starts off with?

maomaoIYP

Anyone knows how to unlock the trophy for unlocking all the player characters? I've beaten the campaign and it's still locked.

edit: fuck this hard mode shit, that durga garuda fight is impossible. My team AI sits there twiddling his thumbs and the enemy AI destroys me in a single combo every time.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone knows how to unlock the trophy for unlocking all the player characters? I've beaten the campaign and it's still locked.

You're missing Gargoyle.

He's unlocked by completing both Red Sides or reaching Rank 22 on Multiplayer.

Then the trophy unlocks

edit: fuck this hard mode shit, that durga garuda fight is impossible. My team AI sits there twiddling his thumbs and the enemy AI destroys me in a single combo every time.

Rofl

For what it's worth, the Durga encounters in the first White Side stage are probably the hardest in the entire game.

Durga just won't get the fuck off you long enough to do anything, and yeah Partner AI is dumb in the 2v2 White Side fights

It's most certainly possible though. I did the my hard run concurrently with obtaining the kill all bosses with Rampage Mode trophy, which requires you to manage both characters health bars so that they're low enough that they both die in the duration of your Rampage, and one doesn't die by accident.

maomaoIYP

You're missing Gargoyle.

He's unlocked by completing both Red Sides or reaching Rank 22 on Multiplayer.

Then the trophy unlocks

Rofl

For what it's worth, the Durga encounters in the first White Side stage are probably the hardest in the entire game.

Durga just won't get the fuck off you long enough to do anything, and yeah Partner AI is dumb in the 2v2 White Side fights

It's most certainly possible though. I did the my hard run concurrently with obtaining the kill all bosses with Rampage Mode trophy, which requires you to manage both characters health bars so that they're low enough that they both die in the duration of your Rampage, and one doesn't die by accident.

Ahhh, many thanks. Don't think I will plat this game, playing the campaign over and over is kind of a chore and a bore.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Ahhh, many thanks. Don't think I will plat this game, playing the campaign over and over is kind of a chore and a bore.

I agree. :I

and I did end up getting the Platinum

It's not hard at all really. Only need two real full runs(on Normal and Hard, one being black and one being white ) as long as you make sure you don't use retries during one of them, which is easy enough since like all of Platinum's previous releases it can be obtained by just exiting to menu when you die.

Everything else can be achieved in stage select. Even the completion ones telling you to complete the game starting from X side.(Just completing the chapters with no medals in stage select will net the trophy)

It's by far the easiest game to Platinum out of all their releases, but it's also probably the least rewarding because of it.

maomaoIYP

I agree. :I

and I did end up getting the Platinum

It's not hard at all really. Only need two real full runs(on Normal and Hard, one being black and one being white ) as long as you make sure you don't use retries during one of them, which is easy enough since like all of Platinum's previous releases it can be obtained by just exiting to menu when you die.

Everything else can be achieved in stage select. Even the completion ones telling you to complete the game starting from X side.(Just completing the chapters with no medals in stage select will net the trophy)

It's by far the easiest game to Platinum out of all their releases, but it's also probably the least rewarding because of it.

Stage select works? Awesome. I didn't read the trophy list right off the bat when I started, so I don't have that kill all bosses with rampage/weapon so I was thinking I'd have to do another 2 more runs at least. *BARF*

A bit of a bump, but 2 questions:

If I get the import version will I be able to play with the NA crowd when the game finally hits the states?

How is the online population at the moment?

I see a couple cheap used versions on Ebay so I'm thinking of taking the plunge

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
If I get the import version will I be able to play with the NA crowd when the game finally hits the states?

Yes.

The original goal was a worldwide simultaneous release of the game so everyone could play together

How is the online population at the moment?

I haven't played since early september

and then it was pretty dead.(Quick match made me host of a room most of the time)

but I'm sure you can still find players if you know when to get on. My schedule at the time never really lined up with peak activity in the game

Yes.

The original goal was a worldwide simultaneous release of the game so everyone could play together

I haven't played since early september

and then it was pretty dead.(Quick match made me host of a room most of the time)

but I'm sure you can still find players if you know when to get on. My schedule at the time never really lined up with peak activity in the game

Thanks, I'm probably going to just bite the bullet and pick it up.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's a fun game.

Bump the thread if you ever want to try to get games going. I wouldn't mind playing this again and maybe some other gaffers feel the same

Top Bottom