• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max orders "Harry Potter" series - all 7 books will be adapted over a period of 10 years.

Laieon

The stories from each of Rowling’s Harry Potter books will become a decade-long series produced with the same epic craft, love and care this global franchise is known for. The series will feature a new cast to lead a new generation of fandom, full of the fantastic detail, much loved characters and dramatic locations that Harry Potter fans have loved for over twenty-five years. Each season will be authentic to the original books and bring Harry Potter and these incredible adventures to new audiences around the world, while the original, classic and beloved films will remain at the core of the franchise and available to watch globally.

Give me Winky, S.P.E.W, Peeves, and the House of Gaunt.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
crushed noo GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That game came out and WB quickly realized that they were sitting on a goldmine, didn't they? It's not that people left Potter because of Rowling, it's that people left Potter because the new movies were crap.
That's been my experience. Loved the books and films, but absolutely hated the Fantastic Beasts movies. I don't think I even watched the third one.

But, cautiously optimistic about this series. It'll really be up to the casting, I think. The movie casting was iconic, it'll be interesting to see who they get to play all the characters. They're also gonna have that same Marvel problem, of keeping them alive and out of jail long enough to finish this.

Laieon

That's been my experience. Loved the books and films, but absolutely hated the Fantastic Beasts movies. I don't think I even watched the third one.

But, cautiously optimistic about this series. It'll really be up to the casting, I think. The movie casting was iconic, it'll be interesting to see who they get to play all the characters. They're also gonna have that same Marvel problem, of keeping them alive and out of jail long enough to finish this.

I liked the first Fantastic Beasts quite a bit actually, but once the series decided it wanted to be more about Dumbledore than Newt it crashed hard. I would have more than okay with 2-3 fairly stand-alone movies that just consisted of Newt traveling to parts of the world we didn't see in Harry Potter.

Last edited:
Yeah they'll make 10 seasons like they made the five already mapped out Fantastic Beasts movies kek

I liked the first Fantastic Beasts quite a bit actually, but once the series decided it wanted to be more about Dumbledore than Newt it crashed hard. I would have more than okay with 2-3 fairly stand-alone movies that just consisted of Newt traveling to parts of the world we didn't see in Harry Potter.

On the posters, "Fantastic Beasts" got smaller with every new movie :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ItsGreat

The books were simplistic kid stuff.

It's not exactly Tolkien in its depth (and they fucked that up with the Rings of Power even with the wealth of backstory, there's fuck all backstory for Harry Potter)

The Tom Piddle stuff will have to be shoe horned in early.

Kilau

Those fucking freaks always have something to complain about. I guess if they are faithful to the books and make her white we are not only transphobes for playing hl but also racist now. There's no end to this wokeness nonsense.
I missed it but JK said she was never written as white, there were complaints about the casting of a black actress as Hermione in a stage play I never knew about.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
The books were simplistic kid stuff.

It's not exactly Tolkien in its depth (and they fucked that up with the Rings of Power even with the wealth of backstory, there's fuck all backstory for Harry Potter)

The Tom Piddle stuff will have to be shoe horned in early.

Pretty much. I don't think I need a 10 hour version of Chamber of Secrets.

Saber

Gold Member
I wasn't expecting this tbh. Not sure to what to say, we live in a "modern world" that sees everything as offensive. This clearly gonna have changes, and I'm guessing for the worse. Hope I'm totally wrong because I love Harry Potter series.

Last edited:

Fbh

Meh.
Makes sense from a business perspective, I know. But with so many cool book series doing HP again is so boring.
Personally I have zero hype or interest in this.

I missed it but JK said she was never written as white, there were complaints about the casting of a black actress as Hermione in a stage play I never knew about.

That was just JK trying to virtue signal and get praise from the Twitter crowd before she became their enemy numer 1.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I honestly can't wait for this. So many things to be fleshed out compared to the movies.

From the House of Gaunt, to Firenze the Centaur, to Peeves, to S.P.E.W, and much more of a focus on house elves, to Neville's parents at St Mungos, to Percy's indoctrination and betrayal of his family, etc.. etc.. etc..

The movies were fine but they were severely lacking compared to the source material.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This was debunked was it not? Isn't there a line about her pale skin? You wouldn't describe a black woman as pale.

Edit daredaniel beat me with the receipts

Last edited:

Laieon

Pretty much. I don't think I need a 10 hour version of Chamber of Secrets.

TV shows, especially streaming ones, are pretty fluid these days when it comes to episode length. I could definitely see the first 2 books (if not all of them) being much shorter than that because then they also benefit with getting them out faster. Even with the first 2 books I definitely think there's still elements that could pad the length out just a bit. I've always wanted to see Vernon's journey to work in book 1 while he notices all of the weird stuff going on play out on screen.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
This was debunked was it not? Isn't there a line about her pale skin? You wouldn't describe a black woman as pale.

She was just trying to cater at the time to be “all inclusive” and say Hermione can be any colour, but she signed off on the art work for the covers.

Thankfully the woke crowd going absolute ballistic at her and her now being on the right side we’ll be sure to hopefully get an adaption that’s true, as this wasn’t going ahead without her on board.

Stay positive lads this has a chance at greatness while upsetting people every year for the next decade, how much more can you ask fo?

Laieon

and see reality?

It's a non fiction book about withes and wizards, Hermione isn't real so there is no "reality" to be seen. Even if the book does describe her as being white an adaptation changing that really doesn't matter because no part of her character has anything to do with her skin color. The only reality is that even JK Rowling says she couldn't care less what race Hermione is.

What matters about Hermione:
She's loyal
She's smart
She's cunning
In the later books she's a bit cocky (see: Rita Skeeter)

What doesn't matter about Hermione:
Her skin color

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
It's a non fiction book about withes and wizards, Hermione isn't real so there is no "reality" to be seen. Even if the book does describe her as being white an adaptation changing that really doesn't matter because no part of her character has anything to do with her skin color.

What matters about Hermione:
She's loyal
She's smart
She's cunning
In the later books she's a bit cocky (see: Rita Skeeter)

What doesn't matter about Hermione:
Her skin color

The book literally states what her skin color is, numerous times. Rowling tried to back track and virtue signalling claiming otherwise. She was proven wrong. This is not something that can be debated.

Fbh

How the fuck would you know? What does it matter whether she's white or black anyway?

hint: it doesn't

In this instance it doesn't really matter as her race doesn't affect her character or origin in any way. Though I do think we should reach a consensus if race swapping fictional characters is either always ok or never ok, this whole deal of "it's only ok as long as they were originally white" is hypocritical at best and downright racist at worst.

Either way I've always just found it silly how Jk Rowling reacted to that whole debacle. She could have just voiced her support for the casting and reminded everyone that nothing about Hermione is defined by her race. But instead she had to take a holier than thou attitude by pretending she had never envisioned her as white despite: Her referencing her "white face" in the books, her own sketches where she is white, her being white in every version of the covers in which she appears, her being cast as a white girl in the movies in which she had an involvement in the casting process.

Last edited:

LordCBH

Let’s fucking GOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

A proper adaptation of 4-6 will make me so goddamn happy. I’ve been wanting HBO to do this for years!

Laieon

This is not something that can be debated.

Whether or not her race really matters can be though.

Although she's described as white in the book in the grand scheme of things that has absolutely no effect on her character. Nobody in her universe cares that she's white, she doesn't perform certain actions because she's white, she doesn't hold certain viewpoints because she's white.

Though I do think we should reach a consensus if race swapping fictional characters is either always ok or never ok

I think context matters. I have no problem race swapping Hermione because her skin color literally doesn't matter in the context of the story. I would have a problem race swapping, say, Atticus Finch, because his race plays a major role in the actions he performs, the actions others perform, and the story itself.

I also just want more 1996 Mercutios, I have no problem with various adaptations putting their own spin on things.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I always thought this would've been a much better format for adapting the books. Gonna be hard to accept new actors in the roles though with how iconic the OG movies were....

Last edited:

Rockondevil

I’m excited but it’s deep in there.
I’m more scared for any agendas that may try to get pushed.
And also praying they get the casting right. Don’t go all PC and make characters change race or genders. And sexuality doesn’t even need to come up. Nobody cares if you’re trans or not, the show doesn’t require it to be said.

Laieon

And we are not discussing that. Stop trying to move goal posts and argue something that isn't even being discussed. Someone made an outright false claim and they were corrected. End of story.

You conveniently ignored the "why does it matter?" part of their post, but okay. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Top Bottom