• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Max Payne - 20 Year Anniversary

Dave_at_Home

Jun 19, 2020
I remember seeing the commercials and reading PC magazines about this game back in the day. Gameplay and visual marvel. I didn't have a gaming PC back then so it always felt like a owning a computer that could run that was like owning a Ferrari. Eventually played it (and sequel) on the original Xbox. Classic.

Reactions: Lucky8BB

Lucky8BB

Banned
Aug 3, 2021

When I saw these Max Payne screenshots in the magazines I already knew it will be one of my favorite games :). Graphics was extremely impressive back then, especially character faces looked like real. It was very demanding game, but I was still amazed with atmosphere and innovative gameplay. Soon I even upgraded my PC just to play max payne at max settings (my athlon 1.2GHz + geforce 3 run max payne at 1024x768 with around 40fps).

Xbox version was also very good, although aiming on gamepad was more difficult (BTW. Cbxreloaded can emulate xbox port perfectly on PC).

YCoCg

Apr 25, 2020
And after MP... they made Control. I think the devs were somehow got replaced.
Different influence, Max Payne was inspired by Hong Kong action movies mixed in with a splash of neo-noir. Alan Wake was Twin Peaks inspired. Control is SCP inspired. They'll all play differently due to their influence. I know it kinda sucks if you're constantly expecting a Max Payne game under a different name but Remedy have been pretty clear about the style differences and influences of their titles.

WitchHunter

Jun 22, 2021
Different influence, Max Payne was inspired by Hong Kong action movies mixed in with a splash of neo-noir. Alan Wake was Twin Peaks inspired. Control is SCP inspired. They'll all play differently due to their influence. I know it kinda sucks if you're constantly expecting a Max Payne game under a different name but Remedy have been pretty clear about the style differences and influences of their titles.
What is SCP? You are assuming something that has zero merit. I want proper games, that's all.

YCoCg

Apr 25, 2020
What is SCP?

You are assuming something that has zero merit. I want proper games, that's all.
How am I assuming? You clearly prefer the style of Max Payne which was heavily influenced from the action style heavy genre of Hong Kong movies, the era of John Woo films, etc. That's something that's not appeared in their other games as they've used different styled influences.

WitchHunter

Jun 22, 2021

How am I assuming? You clearly prefer the style of Max Payne which was heavily influenced from the action style heavy genre of Hong Kong movies, the era of John Woo films, etc. That's something that's not appeared in their other games as they've used different styled influences.
Ok, Mr. Seer. They try hard with other "subgenres", but the result so far is below average. I don't care if their new game is about a frog with a big dick, if it has proper atmosphere.