• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 is a bad game [very long rant]

Derrick01

Banned
It's a matter of taste. The game isn't for everyone, but those who click with it love it. Great controls, the best firefights I've even played, fully-realized characters, top-notch visuals and sound, etc. If you like the story and direction you probably like the game a great deal.

That's probably why I didn't like it then. Rockstar's never been able to write a good story let alone a great one.

DONJONJ

Neo Member
Actually, unskippable cutscenes were the main reason I only played through the game once. I would have passed on buying this game or at least wait for it to be like 75% off before buying it if I knew about this beforehand. It's beyond aggravating, so I agree with that much.

Chinner

Banned
i think max payne 3 was probably rockstars best attempt at a story so far. not great or anything but poops on RDR from a far distnace.

Amagon

I can see why you'd find that funny. As long as you don't give me a lecture on why it was a "good" story then we'll be alright.

Everybody has their own opinions. But I do believe Rockstar has put out better stories than most in the videogame industry.

IMO, the problem with Max Payne 3 wasn't that the game wasn't good but rather that it wasn't a good Max Payne game. Didn't stop me from playing through the game a couple times, but it's a cover shooter 100% which isn't what the original games were about at all.

Card Boy

Banned
Agreed with everything in the OP. Max Payne 1+2 are two of my favorite games of all time, Max Payne 3 is one of the worse AAA games i have ever played. Garbage game.

I'm willing to bet the same people that loved MP3 are the same people that loved GTA4 for the POS that was. Same fuckwit writters behind both games.

You can't even get 5 minutes of gameplay in this game with a friken cutscene, loading screen or 'turret' segment. Also how can you fuck up something as simple as the TV shows in Max Payne 3? I'm struggling to see how this is a Max Payne. Just because it has Max Payne 3 on the box, the main character is called Max and it has bullet time it doesn't mean it's a Max Payne game. Fuck this game.

Alan Wake is the true Max Payne 3. Alan Wake 2 will be Max Payne 4.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, that's one person's opinion. I thought the story was awesome.

I agree. I wish it didn't end the way it did with Max though. They didn't really do much to his character in this game.

Still badass.

Ciastek3214

you didn't play 1 or 2 either huh? being a madman is awesome.

Also the animation system in these doesn't introduce input lag so it's much more intuitive and doesn't make shoot-dodging all clumsy.

If he enjoyed it then one can assume he thought it was good. How is that confusing?

You didn't answer my question. I said what does it have to do with the story being "good", not what he assumes is a "good" story.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The OP invalidated his opinion by saying the use of Euphoria was a bad idea. There are legitimate criticisms you can have with the game but that's not one of them. The animation and physics lead to some of the most badass and entertaining gunfights I've ever experienced in a game.

Gaogaogao

Played both of them, and i don't remember jumping into the walls frequently.Max Payne always offers you enough space to move through the levels.

it also gives you lots of obstacles to jump into. mp 1 and 2 do not give a fuuuck, you just keep shooting, or you get right up and do it again and its awesome.

vidcons

Banned
You didn't answer my question. And this statement is only right when a franchise didn't have good design in a first place.

playing differently doesn't mean it's bad

franchising does hold back design. it also skews perception and reception of titles

deus ex: invisible war
hitman: absolution
halo wars
splinter cell:double agent/conviction
resident evil 6
shadowrun

I played it for a couple of hours and never felt like going back, disliked most things about it and the cutscenes and story bullshit was so bad and sadly so unskipable.

B.O.O.M

It was an ok game. Not bad but not that good either

sucks because I absolutely adore the franchise, it has a special place in my gamer heart. The visual style departure and other changes just made me really annoyed.

I agree about the animations tho. sigh I miss the first two games :(

Gaogaogao

franchising does hold back design. deus ex: invisible war, hitman: absolution, halo wars, splinter cell:double agent/conviction, resident evil 6

you take the good with the bad obviously. iteration is how games get better. assassins creed, case in point. thank god assassins creed 1 sold well, as shit as it was.

Tampinha

it also gives you lots of obstacles to jump into. mp 1 and 2 do not give a fuuuck, you just keep shooting, or you get right up and do it again and its awesome.

In MP3 you have to mix the shoot dodge with the cover, not use only one of them.Not to mention you can climb most of the obstacles and then jump.

I definitely don't get it. It's another ultra linear overly cinematic shooter. What's there to "get"?
Not to try and play it like it was any other shooter.

Yes, in this game animation takes priority, and if you do a bullet time jump you better not have aimed directly into a wall or bookcase. This game is going to throw you into very bad situations and expect you to play very aggressive to survive them - its not a game for procrastinators - its all in the moment. To fit the specific cinematic theme of Max Payne 3, there are no loading screens, cinemas usually transition you between areas and switch up camera angles, and encounters tend to happen at shorter ranges where the action is in your face.

Unkippable cut-scenes are a problem for replays, and I think even those who love the game agree with that. But the rest of that OP is either somebody that doesn't appreciate the audio/visual style (subjective) or somebody who never came to terms with how this game is played (effective movement and cover usage).

Last Stand doesn't always work, and I'd love to be able to cancel out of it if there's no way to get a line of sight on who shot me, but we're talking about a mechanic that if it didn't exist would just mean the player dies and reloads from the last checkpoint. So, yeah, you can argue about the mechanic but lets at least understand that at that point you were already dead from fuck ups, ok?

And I'll be back to pick apart the OP. Pick it apart like a motherfucker.
i2jhG7xTEuq7I.gif

Derrick01

Banned

franchising does hold back design. it also skews perception and reception of titles

deus ex: invisible war
hitman: absolution
halo wars
splinter cell:double agent/conviction
resident evil 6
shadowrun

So wait, the problem isn't that those games were horribly dumbed down to chase the lowest common denominator (in some cases at least) but that they were in an already established franchise that was known for quality? Am I reading that right?

Also some of those don't count. Halo Wars is an entirely different genre from Halo, it wasn't a main series game. Deus Ex, Splinter Cell and Hitman were meant to be main sequels.

Top Bottom