• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Montresor

So how many people shot this guy?

iba98uCc8yovdM.gif

Game is a lot more fun on the second playthrough. Some of the scenarios and enemy encounters are really well done but it really shines when you don't just sit and duck behind cover, which is hard not to do on your first time though since you don't know the layout of the levels.

I hate killing anyone that surrenders or begs for their life in video games. Makes me feel really bad.

I try not to kill him but in a New York Minute Hardcore run you need every second you can get.....

If you melee him, does that count as a kill? I'll consider it a knockout either way though :p

More games need surrendering enemies. You feel like a badass when they do it. More games should have a "Tell them ____ let you live," buttons too.

So is there a patch or anything yet to skip the cutscenes? I want to do a second playthrough of the game but the long unskippable cutscenes just make it frustrating. (I'm on PC)

Riggs

Banned
This game runs so well. Everyone knows this by now but just do not enable MSAA and you will be fine. FXAA looks great imo.

Even on my 680 MSAA just crushes frame rate.

Sh0k

Does the game needs an online pass to play multiplayer? Have some credit at Gamestop and planning on getting the game used.

Thanks!

Kinyou

So after playing through it a second time I have a little complain about the story.
I think Max should have killed Serrano. I know it's a little silly complain, but I feel like after the hell he basically went through to get Fabiana back, and then to see her just getting casually shot by Serrano...
Sure Serrano kind of paid the price by getting tortured in the imperial palace, but still... It feels like he didn't really pay for killing Fabiana. Considering that this was one of Max's main concerns, to get at least one thing right, it felt like a lackluster conclusion to me.

Also the scene where
Max "storms" the Serrano's hideout is... ugh a little weird. He runs in "oh, they have guns" and ends up as hostage himself. Come on, Max, you can do better than that

Sajjaja

Does the game needs an online pass to play multiplayer? Have some credit at Gamestop and planning on getting the game used.

Thanks!

I didn't find one when I bought my ps3 copy yesterday.

So is there a patch or anything yet to skip the cutscenes? I want to do a second playthrough of the game but the long unskippable cutscenes just make it frustrating. (I'm on PC)

I've noticed on my PS3 I could skip the cut scene by pressing X once the next level was loaded. If it wasn't it would say Still Loading, but I could. Just takes a really long time to load the next level.

So after playing through it a second time I have a little complain about the story.
I think Max should have killed Serrano. I know it's a little silly complain, but I feel like after the hell he basically went through to get Fabiana back, and then to see her just getting casually shot by Serrano...
Sure Serrano kind of paid the price by getting tortured in the imperial palace, but still... It feels like he didn't really pay for killing Fabiana. Considering that this was one of Max's main concerns, to get at least one thing right, it felt like a lackluster conclusion to me.

Also the scene where
Max "storms" the Serrano's hideout is... ugh a little weird. He runs in "oh, they have guns" and ends up as hostage himself. Come on, Max, you can do better than that

There's a lot of moments like these that I feel could've been slightly tweaked, made a bit longer or had an extra line of dialogue to make them better.

I see Max
letting Serrano live being fitting because he kills people all the time. If he killed Serrano, then he'd just be another tally mark. Serrano, while a despicable criminal, was a lot like Max in that he was just a hired killer. He may have even thought he was justified in kidnapping/killing Fabiana since she was one of the "rich who oppressed the poor" or something.
I'd like to see a translation for some of his lines to see if anything he says would support that.

Also, when
Max rushes into Serrano's hideout
, if R* had structured it differently, it would've made sense.
Serrano could've obviously been about to execute Giovanna, making Max rush in to stop it. Or, Max could've taken a hostage of his own and Serrano could've shot the guy or ignored him. Or pretty much anything. And maybe Serrano could've ordered one of his other men to shot Max since he wanted to save his ammo for the UFE maybe he does say that though, I'll have to check.

Same thing with the hair-cutting scene. It was fine as it was, but they could've had some of Max's hair
get burned off in the explosion in Rodrigo's office
and still retain the symbolism of the scene without there being any chance people would think it was for no reason.

I'd also have preferred a bullet-time moment for
Bachmeyer
. There could've been an awesome scene where
Max and Bachmeyer both take cover, rush out simultaneously and then are running parallel to one another through a pillar/cover-filled area of the police station with really small openings for the player to shoot him,
like this scene from Hard Boiled (spoilers for Hard-Boiled):

(until 2:38)

There are a lot of instances in games lately where a scene seems rushed and would make more sense if the devs/whomever took their time or were more methodical.

Flunkie

Banned
Can someone repost the best controller setup for this game? Free aim is a given, but what numbers for acceleration and sensitivity and such?

Just started.

MMaRsu

Banned

iba98uCc8yovdM.gif

Game is a lot more fun on the second playthrough. Some of the scenarios and enemy encounters are really well done but it really shines when you don't just sit and duck behind cover, which is hard not to do on your first time though since you don't know the layout of the levels.

I let him live the first time around I think.

Sajjaja

iba98uCc8yovdM.gif

I shot that guy, but I didn't even realize that he was begging until after I shot him.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Finally got the game on PC and I'm not pleased, it controls like SHIT.
So fucking laggy, it feels like Payne is skating on ice while being underwater and morbidly obese! Help?

I even deselcted D3DO's v-sync and triple buffering (something I never felt the need to do) to make it more snappy, put aim accelleration at 10 and sensitivity v/h at 5: it helps a bit, but it's still a trainwreck of unresponsiveness. I refuse to believe the game is supposed to be like this and got critical praise despite it, so I must be doing something wrong. Game is patched and I'm using a 360 wireless pad.

Dash Kappei

Finally got the game on PC and I'm not pleased, it controls like SHIT.
So fucking laggy, it feels like Payne is skating on ice while being underwater and morbidly obese! Help?

I even deselcted D3DO's v-sync and triple buffering (something I never felt the need to do) to make it more snappy, put aim accelleration at 10 and sensitivity v/h at 5: it helps a bit, but it's still a trainwreck of unresponsiveness. I refuse to believe the game is supposed to be like this and got critical praise despite it, so I must be doing something wrong. Game is patched and I'm using a 360 wireless pad.

Wow, how come the interest around this game is already dead?

Kinyou

There's a lot of moments like these that I feel could've been slightly tweaked, made a bit longer or had an extra line of dialogue to make them better.

I see Max
letting Serrano live being fitting because he kills people all the time. If he killed Serrano, then he'd just be another tally mark. Serrano, while a despicable criminal, was a lot like Max in that he was just a hired killer. He may have even thought he was justified in kidnapping/killing Fabiana since she was one of the "rich who oppressed the poor" or something.
I'd like to see a translation for some of his lines to see if anything he says would support that.
Ok, I can see that, I guess they could have made it clearer in the game though.
Also, when
Max rushes into Serrano's hideout
, if R* had structured it differently, it would've made sense.
Serrano could've obviously been about to execute Giovanna, making Max rush in to stop it. Or, Max could've taken a hostage of his own and Serrano could've shot the guy or ignored him. Or pretty much anything. And maybe Serrano could've ordered one of his other men to shot Max since he wanted to save his ammo for the UFE maybe he does say that though, I'll have to check.

Same thing with the hair-cutting scene. It was fine as it was, but they could've had some of Max's hair
get burned off in the explosion in Rodrigo's office
and still retain the symbolism of the scene without there being any chance people would think it was for no reason.

I'd also have preferred a bullet-time moment for
Bachmeyer
. There could've been an awesome scene where
Max and Bachmeyer both take cover, rush out simultaneously and then are running parallel to one another through a pillar/cover-filled area of the police station with really small openings for the player to shoot him,
like this scene from Hard Boiled (spoilers for Hard-Boiled):

(until 2:38)

There are a lot of instances in games lately where a scene seems rushed and would make more sense if the devs/whomever took their time or were more methodical.
Yeah, to me it sometimes felt like cutscenes and gameplay were done at completely different times, and in the end, they didn't have the time anymore to change things.
I can only assume that stuff like
storming Serranos hideout
made sense in the script and during the mo-cap sessions, but in the overall game, right after you shot a bazillion guys, it felt out of place.

Yeah, the connection between cutscene and gameplay was good at times, but ovreall it could've been much better.

They could have even had a
bullet-time moment when Max bursts into the hideout and with Max diving in, spinning around with the player trying to shoot all the enemies, but you only manage to kill a few before you see Serrano with his gun aimed at Giovanna, forcing max to hold off shooting him. Then some other enemies could take Max's gun and the cutscene could play out as it did.

I think of Uncharted 2 and how while the actual transitions from cutscene into gameplay had where it went to black or a somewhat obvious change, the situations general flowed well into one another. Like near the end of the Nepal section where you're carrying
a shot Jeff and Lazarevic catches up to Drake and co. They're held at gun point and it's only when they get an opening from Elena unexpectedly punching Flynn that they start running. Then there's 50 guys shooting at you.
It doesn't feel as jarring this MP3 moment because you can kind of accept that they'll miss while you're running and the
"at gunpoint"
cutscene takes place before all that rather than after killing a ton of enemies.

iba98uCc8yovdM.gif

Funny, i finished the single player 3 or 4 times and played that chapter at least 5-6 times and everytime i forgot he surrenders and killed him.

Dibbz

Just started MP3 multi on PC, any tips?!

Pistols are really good I usually stick with them. Running with any two handed gun feels pointless to me since pistols can deal with almost any situation. Dual wielding them is maybe even more over powered.

Also learn what Bursts do what so you can tell what is going on in matches.

snack

Pistols are really good I usually stick with them. Running with any two handed gun feels pointless to me since pistols can deal with almost any situation. Dual wielding them is maybe even more over powered.

Thanks for the tips!

Sajjaja

The loadout I use on my PS3 that I pretty much dominate with is a Gas powered M500 with a PT92, sneakers and intuition burst. I'm light so I run around all the time, and it feels good to get a pistol kill from a distance where I 1-2 shot with a shotgun. M500 is freaking OP if you ask me, but so satisfying.

Dash Kappei

Free-Aim and Soft-Lock spit. 10 or so game-types split-across both aim types. Snail's pace leveling (whether it's justified aside). Take your pick.

Gotcha :(

Any tips for my "problem" with the controls' unresponsiveness and laggyness? Namely for the single player portion of the game. Is it at least something that other people have reported or am I alone in finding the controls so shitty (thus there's something wrong with my config.ini or whatever)?

You'll just have to play around with the settings. The default isn't good for a lot of people, but know that you'll probably never find a perfect balance for aiming from the hip, hard-aiming and aiming in bullet-time, so just do what works OK and try to get used to it.

You can turn off target tracking and target-slowdown too in "gameplay settings" in the start menu. That might help, but what's good varies from person to person.

anddo0

Please Help:

I can't get the Steam version of this game to launch. It gets to the black screen and stays there. It got up to the R* screen a few times, and as far as the RSC sign in. But crashed again. My system is more than capable.

Dries

So how does the story in this game compare to the first two? Does it still have a lot to do with the criminal underworld/maffia types of crime like the first two games?

Only just started but am finding Hard really freaking hard, doesn't help my mouse is shite but the mouse controls don't seem very good so far tbh.

JonCha

Only just started but am finding Hard really freaking hard, doesn't help my mouse is shite but the mouse controls don't seem very good so far tbh.

Yeah, playing Hard is brutal.

Started today; is there some way to dive while in Bullet Time? I'm just walking around in a slow-mo, and I'm sure there is some way to 'earn' BT or something.

Dibbz

So how does the story in this game compare to the first two? Does it still have a lot to do with the criminal underworld/maffia types of crime like the first two games?
It's OK but nothing amazing. MP2 is still the best one.

Hard is pretty tough to start off on. I'd recommend playing on Normal first then going back through it on hard. You really need to know enemy locations and the layout of rooms for the Hard run through.

Also don't stick to cover all the time. If you are moving it's harder for the AI to hit you but you have to be smart where you move to. Don't just run around for the sake of it.

willooi

Starts off with great promise, but for me the story drops off in quality by the time you reach the final third, after which it's easy to forget that you're playing a Max Payne game. There are criminal underworld elements to it but to say any more would be to give away major spoilers, but IMO the 'big' story events in the game aren't nearly as impactful as they ought to be, really.

Writing-wise it does have its moments, but nothing near Sam Lake's amazing metaphors and imagery. The odd memorable line here and there, but nothing that really leaves a long impression:

"The cartoon moment when the gravity waits for the coyote to realize his mistake before the plunge."

"The past is a puzzle, like a broken mirror. As you piece it together, you cut yourself, your image keeps shifting. And you change with it. It could destroy you, drive you mad. It could set you free".

etc.

Use Shootdodge. It's a dive and bullet time all in one.

Also, remember that you can always still shootdodge even when your bullet time bar is empty. Useful in tricky situations.

The story is good, in my opinion. On the other hand, I was never a huge fan of the previous games story wise, though I admire the tone and style of writing Sam Lake was going for.

MP3 doesn't really have that much in common with the rest of the series and I ended up playing it as such (but at the same time remembering all the defining things about Max personality). Treated it more like a new IP, more toned down, and in the end I wasn't disappointed. It's a story more grounded in the real world depicting real world issues. And Max character definitely has a new depth making the story personal also.

Anyone who liked MP3:s tone and setting should check out brazilian film Tropa de Elite (and it's sequel). Very well made,
and essentially tries to recount the same conflict as in the game.

Gorillaz

I like the story but I feel that the mechanics are faulty.....Im kind of forcig myself to finish.

I love how the story is laid out tho very well.

Montresor

It's the third Tuesday since the last DLC and there's still no new information on the next DLC pack. Damn it, I want some more maps so badly.

There are four packs that are supposed to come out in the summer of 2012. The earliest any new pack can come out is next Tuesday (since Xbox dlc seems to always be released on Tuesdays and Xbox usually gets DLC firsT). If they consider the summer to be ending on Sep 18 (the last Tuesday before summer officially ends), then Rockstar has 8 weeks to squeeze in 4 packs.

Bah, I'm going crazy. I honestly don't care what gets delayed to when, I just want some concrete info on release dates and details about the packs themselves, something beyond just their names (shown below).

FYI, as a reminder to those interested, the four said packs are:

Disorganized Crime map pack
Deathmatch Made In Heaven mode pack
Hostage Negotiation map pack
New York Minute co-op pack

I like the story but I feel that the mechanics are faulty.....Im kind of forcig myself to finish.

I love how the story is laid out tho very well.

I would stop and tweak the controls until they feel better. The game becomes so much fun once you get used to the way it plays, though I've never found a perfect balance among non-bullet-time aiming, bullet-time aiming and aiming down sights.

If you're enjoying the gunplay at all, I'd say it's worth sticking with it. I still want to play this on PC just to see whether the aiming clicks for me with a keyboard+mouse.

People starting with RPGs in multiplayer has become a way bigger issue than any normal weapon balance concerns, even after the tuning update. Gang Wars can produce some of the most intense shootouts I've played in YEARS but it's marred by the RPG which is simply too powerful to be a starting weapon. Really annoying. That and the dwindling community make me a sad panda. Gahh, soft-lock is still the bane of my existence.

Top Bottom