• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Max Payne 3 |OT| Funny as hell, we couldn't decide on a sub-title

Sajjaja

People starting with RPGs in multiplayer has become a way bigger issue than any normal weapon balance concerns, even after the tuning update. Gang Wars can produce some of the most intense shootouts I've played in YEARS but it's marred by the RPG which is simply too powerful to be a starting weapon. Really annoying. That and the dwindling community make me a sad panda. Gahh, soft-lock is still the bane of my existence.

I gotta agree that soft lock is terrible. I mean, I started out with it, but I played free aim and its absolutely more satisfying when getting a kill. But the players on their are absolutely more skilled and its so much harder to get into. Plus the player count is scarce as it is.

I gotta agree that soft lock is terrible. I mean, I started out with it, but I played free aim and its absolutely more satisfying when getting a kill. But the players on their are absolutely more skilled and its so much harder to get into. Plus the player count is scarce as it is.

It just blows my mind that soft lock is even a thing. They got nearly every detail right in terms of shooting and killing someone- The guns look good when shooting, sound good, feel good to shoot, Euphoria provides infinite hilarity and satisfaction, the subtle screen flash and points that pop up to confirm a kill is very well done, and aiming feels super precise when you tune it to your liking......so they add soft-lock. It boggles my mind. Run + gun game has the community split due to an entire playlist dedicated to lock-on when hard aiming. Some of the most backwards design I've seen in a while.

Montresor

I'm glad there's soft lock. It makes the multiplayer more fun.

It is definitely an issue though. The player base is stretched too thin. Forget about soft lock vs free aim. Each aim mode's playlist is further fragmented with all the different game types. There is a playlist for DLC, for gang wars, large and small deathmatch, and Payne killer. And both free aim and soft lock have each of these playlists. And free aim is further fragmented with the two hardcore playlists.

Either way I'll happily play soft lock because I suck dick at free aim. The multi is really fun even if you do have target lock-on. It's like a game of rock paper scissors. If your team keeps getting affected by paranoia, pull out a loadout with ID cards. If you keep looting booby trapped bodies, bust out the military goggles.

The other day, there were three people playing Payne Killer Free-Aim on PS3. Three.

I have to get the co-op DLC, no matter what. There'll always be at least one other person playing, right?

....right?

Salsa

Im probably doing a second playthrough of this soon on the hardest mode. Was doing the time trial stuff but I think id just rather play the whole thing again.

I need dat
airport shootout
again.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
The story is good, in my opinion. On the other hand, I was never a huge fan of the previous games story wise, though I admire the tone and style of writing Sam Lake was going for.

MP3 doesn't really have that much in common with the rest of the series and I ended up playing it as such (but at the same time remembering all the defining things about Max personality). Treated it more like a new IP, more toned down, and in the end I wasn't disappointed. It's a story more grounded in the real world depicting real world issues. And Max character definitely has a new depth making the story personal also.

Anyone who liked MP3:s tone and setting should check out brazilian film Tropa de Elite (and it's sequel). Very well made,
and essentially tries to recount the same conflict as in the game.

Tropa de Elite (I believe it's dubbed as Elite Squad in the US/UK?) is freakin' awesome.
Its sequel less so, it kinda disappointed me.

MMaRsu

Banned
The other day, there were three people playing Payne Killer Free-Aim on PS3. Three.

I have to get the co-op DLC, no matter what. There'll always be at least one other person playing, right?

....right?

LOLZ

Goddamnit Rockstar. Another brilliant MP game killed off by retarded design choices. I'm never going to play softlock, fuck that shit. Just release the DLC for free at this point, maybe some players will come back to it.

K' Dash

I just sat 2 hours of the worst fucking nightmare playing this game, a couple of days ago I started this on hard/free aim, no problem until the I arrived to the part where you find an armored gunner on a fucking roof.

FUUUCK, FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK, I don't know what to do, I've tried all the weapons I could all the ways I could even get there with 4 fucking pain killers, unload 2 magazines on his face and the fucking helmet wouldn't come off, COME OOOONN, I'm hitting him in BULLET TIME in the FUCKING HEAD and there's no way he loses his helmet.

And as if that BULLSHIT wasn't the worse shit of game design in the fucking franchise they put you against time, that's fucking right, if you don't hurry and die to the hands of the armored soldier, the fucking building collapses killing you anyway.

HOW IN FUCKS NAME did this go unnoticed by game testers is beyond to me, did they only play the game on easy?

Fuck this bullshit, I'm finishing this on medium difficulty.

I just sat 2 hours of the worst fucking nightmare playing this game, a couple of days ago I started this on hard/free aim, no problem until the I arrived to the part where you find an armored gunner on a fucking roof.

FUUUCK, FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK, I don't know what to do, I've tried all the weapons I could all the ways I could even get there with 4 fucking pain killers, unload 2 magazines on his face and the fucking helmet wouldn't come off, COME OOOONN, I'm hitting him in BULLET TIME in the FUCKING HEAD and there's no way he loses his helmet.

And as if that BULLSHIT wasn't the worse shit of game design in the fucking franchise they put you against time, that's fucking right, if you don't hurry and die to the hands of the armored soldier, the fucking building collapses killing you anyway.

HOW IN FUCKS NAME did this go unnoticed by game testers is beyond to me, did they only play the game on easy?

Don't hit him where he's armored.

Faeg i-varv dîn na lanc a nu ranc. (Their armor is weak at the neck and beneath the arm.)

K' Dash

Don't hit him where he's armored.

Faeg i-varv dîn na lanc a nu ranc. (Their armor is weak at the neck and beneath the arm.)

uuuhh, I'm supposed to blow his helmet off, otherwise it's impossible to kill him, I already put it on medium, I think I'll enjoy it a lot more now.

Not that hard was the hardest thing ever, but that specific part drove me nuts, I wouldn't stand another surprise like this I'd just leave the game and on to the next one.

uuuhh, I'm supposed to blow his helmet off, otherwise it's impossible to kill him, I already put it on medium, I think I'll enjoy it a lot more now.

Not that hard was the hardest thing ever, but that specific part drove me nuts, I wouldn't stand another surprise like this I'd just leave the game and on to the next one.
I never had problems with those guys, but I got them from neck and crotch/leg shots.

Nugg

OK, so the game won't save my progress anymore. It seems to be a pretty common issue (PC version). The only fix I could find is deleting my save file that somehow got corrupt and start over. I love the game but still, this sucks :(

If there's a shooter not to start on hard, it's this.

I don't blame people doing stuff like that since games are so easy these days, but I still laugh when I see reactions to MP3 hard mode.

K' Dash

If there's a shooter not to start on hard, it's this.

I don't blame people doing stuff like that since games are so easy these days, but I still laugh when I see reactions to MP3 hard mode.

it seems you didn't read my post, I haven't had any poblems AT ALL until now, it seems everybody is playing this on easy cause every video I saw, that armored bastard died in 2 shots, while I unloaded 2 magazines between his eyes and nothing happened.

Anyway, I have a big backlog and precious little time, so I bumped down the difficulty and it was like magic, the basterd died in 2 seconds, that's BULLSHIT if you ask me.

I never had problems with those guys, but I got them from neck and crotch/leg shots.

They're not the normal armored goons you fight all the time, I'm talking the Armored guy at the end of the Hotel sequence, the same you fight at the Branco Building Lobby.

Sajjaja

it seems you didn't read my post, I haven't had any poblems AT ALL until now, it seems everybody is playing this on easy cause every video I saw, that armored bastard died in 2 shots, while I unloaded 2 magazines between his eyes and nothing happened.

Anyway, I have a big backlog and precious little time, so I bumped down the difficulty and it was like magic, the basterd died in 2 seconds, that's BULLSHIT if you ask me.

Yeah, that guy had me replay that sequence quite a few times even on normal difficulty. Was pretty annoying seeing Max keep recovering after being staggered from the explosion about 10 times.....

They're not the normal armored goons you fight all the time, I'm talking the Armored guy at the end of the Hotel sequence, the same you fight at the Branco Building Lobby.
Then we're talking about the same enemies.

The normal helmeted guys can be capped by headshots as their helmet will come off. But the major guys with the heavy armor I've always taken down in seconds by avoiding their armored areas, and that means avoiding the head.

I read your post, bro. The dude repeatedly destroyed you on Hard and this post:

made me laugh. What's not to understand?

And keep the sniper rifle with you from the previous sniping segment. You pick up more ammo where you find it.

You don't even need a sniper. Any regular weapon will do the job. Even a pistol.

Yeah.

It's just a suggestion for people who need... extra help ohohoho

3TbJK.jpg

EDIT: I wish I could find a Max Payne version of the above image

K' Dash

I read your post, bro. The dude repeatedly destroyed you on Hard and this post:

made me laugh. What's not to understand?

And keep the sniper rifle with you from the previous sniping segment. You pick up more ammo where you find it.

You don't even need a sniper. Any regular weapon will do the job. Even a pistol.

Now I'm curious, I unloaded 2 mags from my machine gun to that guys head every time and it didn't work, wich is weird, cause I killed the first one at the branco building lobby pretty easy, if I shoot anywhere else like the crotch, legs, neck, etc. he would kneel for a second, I unloaded a mag on his head again then the building collapsed.

Yeah.

It's just a suggestion for people who need... extra help ohohoho

http://i.imgur.com/3TbJK.jpg

EDIT: I wish I could find a Max Payne version of the above image

Yeah, yeah, I suck, whatever...

Anyway, like I said I put the game on normal and the dude died with 4 shots in less than 2 seconds, I'm at the airport now.

Apart from that horrible experience, the game has been fucking awesome.

Gui_PT

Yeah, yeah, I suck, whatever...

Anyway, like I said I put the game on normal and the dude died with 4 shots in less than 2 seconds, I'm at the airport now.

Apart from that horrible experience, the game has been fucking awesome.

Nobody said you suck. Actually, a lot of people here had a tough time with that guy

K' Dash

Nobody said you suck. Actually, a lot of people here had a tough time with that guy

it wouldn't have been that bad if there was a checkpoint in the roof, having to repeat the whole segment just infuriated me more and I died fast of course...

Gui_PT

it wouldn't have been that bad if there was a checkpoint in the roof, having to repeat the whole segment just infuriated me more and I died fast of course...

I don't think a checkpoint is necessary.

1st time I saw that guy, I had no idea he was coming so I did the only thing I had time to do: shootdodge and get them headshots.

On the other playthroughs, I already knew he was coming so I'd take cover and wait for him to reload.

It's understandable for people to get killed the 1st time because he comes out of nowhere but it's confusing how people can't learn from the situation and plan accordingly

"Oh he shows up from behind me? I'll just kill these 4 guys from this particular position so I can take cover as soon as he shows up"

K' Dash

I don't think a checkpoint is necessary.
"Oh he shows up from behind me? I'll just kill these 4 guys from this particular position so I can take cover as soon as he shows up"

that is exactly what I did, that's common sense, the guy just wouldn't die.

I remember dropping him with one haphazard shot with the sniper on my Hard play through. I was diving backward during a tremor (which still screws up your aim for no good reason) and got it.

This game is so good

that is exactly what I did, that's common sense, the guy just wouldn't die.

I've shot the RPD (or whatever) guy in the
police station
with the LAW and it didn't kill him. It just threw him through some offices.

THAT was some bull. The guy in Chapter 12 can be nuttered, I believe. And shooting the non-armored bits, no matter where they are, will drop him quick. His head is solidly armored though, so it'll do little good to shoot him there.

MMaRsu

Banned

Starting on hard wasn't a great choice anyway but ok you wanted hard so it's fucking hard deal with it.

Either way you'll want to grab the magnum pistol from the first guard on the stairs, and the two painkillers in the room right next to the stairs.

Then just unload that pistol in his face. Too bad you already gave up! Now you'll need to replay it to get that hard trophy :p.

Gacha-pin

I didnt tried this method but I was told you can do a one headshot kill with the sniper rifle you can get in the C4 section. I imagine it would also a pain to carry the rifle to the rooftop.

I didnt tried this method but I was told you can do a one headshot kill with the sniper rifle you can get in the C4 section. I imagine it would also a pain to carry the rifle to the rooftop.

If you have two handguns with you, you'll be fine if you place your shots well. There's ammo bags along the way too.

You don't even have to shoot the last guy in the head with the sniper. I've gotten a one-shot kill and it was in his abdomen.

Montresor

Gosh I really hope the Rockstar Pass didn't bomb and they are thinking of refunding customers and cancelling DLC. I don't care about the money I spent, I just would love some new maps.

I'm getting really anxious now. It's been almost a month since the last DLC drop.

Sajjaja

Gosh I really hope the Rockstar Pass didn't bomb and they are thinking of refunding customers and cancelling DLC. I don't care about the money I spent, I just would love some new maps.

I'm getting really anxious now. It's been almost a month since the last DLC drop.

Was the DLC even worth it? The only map I would like from the Local Justice DLC is Departure Lounge.

Dibbz

I'm sure the Rockstar studio the made MP3 was shifted around and is now located somewhere else. That could explain the delay in the DLC.

What i would find really nice would be the ability to play the story with the choice to play as any Max as you like...arcade mode notwithstanding. Hoboken Max is best Max.

and what the hell is up with the lack of a jump button?

I've noticed there are some cutscenes due to the lack of being able to jump in game. wtf?

MMaRsu

Banned
What i would find really nice would be the ability to play the story with the choice to play as any Max as you like...arcade mode notwithstanding. Hoboken Max is best Max.

and what the hell is up with the lack of a jump button?

I've noticed there are some cutscenes due to the lack of being able to jump in game. wtf?

Yeah well since they took out all the platforming stuff, I guess they didnt need a jump button..

willooi

Was the DLC even worth it? The only map I would like from the Local Justice DLC is Departure Lounge.

I'd say so, but be aware of what you're in for:

Hardly anyone goes into the 'DLC Maps' playlist these days, which means that you'll have to wait for the new maps to come up in the regular playlist rotations and to then also win enough votes for selection. Additionally, it's a shame that only the 55th Battalion map has a Gang Wars mode - by far the most popular option in multiplayer - Departure Lounge has potential, but only playing Team Deathmatch and Payne Killer on it seems a waste, really. I haven't even played a single non-Payne Killer game on the Imperial Palace map - no one seems to ever vote for it.

Overall, though, I'd say the 55th Battalion map has turned out to be probably my favourite in the game (Sneakers + Grounded burst + point blank SPAS/Super Sport...), thanks mainly to the fact that it comes up frequently in TDM and Gang Wars.

The M4 assault rifle is also a worthy addition and good starter weapon if you ever decide to 'enter into Legend' after level 50.

undrtakr900

Question: I don't speak spanish and I feel I missed out on a lot of the story/conversations as they talked in their native language. So I was wondering was there anything relevant said in Spanish during the coarse of the game?

Although one very kool element of the native spanish speaking was that, Max couldn't understand it either so when [people] were yelling at him in spanish, I felt his confusion in trying to comprehend.

Gui_PT

I don't speak spanish and I feel I missed out on a lot of the story/conversations as they talked in their native language. So I was wondering was there anything relevant said in Spanish during the coarse of the game?

Although one very kool element of the native spanish speaking was that, Max couldn't understand it either so when [people] were yelling at him in spanish, I felt his confusion in trying to comprehend.

I can assure you that nothing important was said in SPANISH

i6J7hlQogSA9J.gif

Montresor

Man, it's a shame you're banned. I took too long to reply to this post. ;)

The map pack is worth it, especially at its initial price of 480 MSP (it was sold at a discount as an apology to fans for delaying the DLC into July). Right now it's 640 MSP, and at that price it's not an incredible value, but it's still worth it if you like the multiplayer.

I've said this loads of times before but I absolutely love how Rockstar is drawing from the single player to create new maps. Every map is derived from a story chapter, and the three new maps are from the last three chapters in the game, each of which is an awesome locale in its own right (Ch. 12, 13, and 14's decrepit hotel, police station, and airport).

The great thing though is that owners of the Rockstar Pass got a bonus map, the Cemetery map modeled from Ch. 8. Cemetery got released on the same day as Local Justice. It was a pre-order item, and in fact ALL pre-order items were given to Rockstar Pass owners for free.

Dibbz

Oh I play on PC but that's when the game actually works. Is matchmaking bad on consoles or is this just a PC problem? It sucks right now.

Montresor

I don't think I'm going to buy a season pass again. It is a really dumb decision in retrospect.

I'm honestly floored, in a bad way, with what Rockstar is doing. They originally advertised 5 packs for June and the summer of 2012, and 2 for the fall. 7 packs total. That info convinces me to buy the pass. First, the June DLC gets delayed to early July (local justice). Next, unbelievably, one of the advertised 7 packs is FREE DLC coming later this August. Unreal. And last, the rest of the packs arent coming out until Sep/Oct.

I'm done with season passes no matter how much I love the core game. I love Max Payne but hey I liked Gears 3 too and that season pass ending up being a bit of a disappointment too (no DLC playlists for horde, making your maps useless for a horde player like me).

Montresor

In Rockstar's defense, season pass owners did end up getting a very pleasant surprise freebie the day the first of the 7 mentioned packs came out. We got the Cemetery map for free. It was a pre-order bonus, but I didn't know the map even existed until a couple of days before I downloaded it. And the map turned out to be absolutely stellar, based on the Ch.8 jersey graveyard.

Still, I think season passes are a bust.

Fjordson

Yeah, season passes are a risky proposition for me personally. Especially multiplayer ones. I can be kinda fickle with games so I never know at launch if I'll be playing something for a long time.

Even though I do enjoy MP 3's multiplayer, I just haven't felt like playing it lately.

Top Bottom